My Dear Readers this is part two to my previous post about cooking on the weber and using a kettle I kid you not it was not planned but Barbeques Galore contacted me just before Heatbeads® did, to help them create a recipe on the weber. First thing I think about making is of course dessert but haha once again I’m clueless at this barbecuing business…so again I consulted Annoying Uncle and other colleagues.
Clearly desserts weren’t their forte because these middle aged men kept steering the conversation back to roast pork, pulled pork and all other savoury things! Focus men! I need dessert recipes and ideas haha so I edited up coming up with the thought of making pancakes on the grill, topped with grilled banana, ice-cream and salted caramel! But how do you cook pancakes…. the liquid will all run through. Then Annoying Uncle said this recipe could work but I would need to get a hot plate. A what? I had no idea but apparently it’s a plate made out of cast iron that you place over the grill and it can be used like any fry pan I guess.
A funny side story, I didn’t have the weber or the chimney and all the equipment I needed back then…so Annoying Uncle had to lend me everything! Very grateful for his help and assistance But you can purchase it all from Barbeques Galore So he explained to us how to use the chimney and light the firelighters and using an indirect method (BBQ Briquettes) on both sides of the weber and place the hotplate over it.
Will be sharing the recipe below, I’ll quickly run through the steps with you here first ~ basically once the plate is hot enough, you can poor the pancake mix and cook it as per usual. Just make sure you grease the hot plate very well as we found it to be a little difficult to flip the pancakes.
As you can see, it can be tricky pouring the mixture and flipping it so take your time, and even if it doesn’t look nice I promise it’ll still taste good!
Once the pancakes are done or you can cook them at the same time, cut some bananas up and put them on the grill for approximately 3 minutes each side.
That’s all the cooking required, now all you need to do is assembly it! We had 3 pancake then topped it with vanilla ice-cream, grilled bananas and most importantly salted caramel with gold flakes because it’s from Burch and Purchese.
I came up with this recipe because I wanted something that was easy and sort of fail proof for us newbies! Hopefully, I’ll get better at this and develop a more in-depth relationship with my weber and will share with you more savoury and dessert recipes😀
Recipe – Pancakes on the weber with grilled bananas adapted from Nigella Lawson
Yield – 10-12 pancakes depending on size
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 large eggs (beaten)
30g unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
300ml milk (regular)
225g plain flour
Extra butter for frying
Salted caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
– You must have a hotplate to make this recipe
– Remember to use an indirect method to cook these pancakes in the weber
– Try to use bananas that are not too ripe as it will become very soft
1) Heat the weber as per instructions, please refer to my previous post for more information about lighting the BBQ briquettes. Fill the baskets full of charcoal and use an indirect method where they are placed on both sides of the weber.
2) To make pancake mixture, place all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and sugar) into a large bowl and create a well in the middle and add the wet ingredients (beaten eggs, melted butter and milk). Mix it very well with a whisk or wooden spoon. You can then poor this into a jug to make it easier for pouring.
3) Place hot plate over the grill and wait for it to heat up, once hot grease well with butter and pour batter to make pancake.
4) Wait approximately 3 minutes when bubbles start to appear, it means it is cooked and you can flip them and cook the other side. Place on plate and continue cooking pancakes.
5) Cut bananas lengthways and put on grill directly and cook for 3 minutes each side.
6) To serve, place pancakes on plate, 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice-cream on top, grilled bananas on the side and finally pour salted caramel over!
And that’s it! Pretty easy and a great dessert to make using the weber Actually you can even make this for breakfast! Please let me know if you try this recipe!
This is a sponsored post by Barbeques Galore, however, recipe and opinions are all honest.