Hello Everyone Please don’t hate me because I’ve kept you in suspense for the past couple of days For those lovely Readers who are a little confused about what I’m talking about lol let me quickly explain it hehe ~
It all started with the mysterious cheesecake I made on Saturday and I posted it on Instagram (daisy_nevertoosweet) ~ I was quite nervous because it’s the first time I’ve made this type of cheesecake and it includes ‘folding’! Gosh I’m so scared of this ‘folding’ process >_< but anyhow, it was a success YAY Many people commented on it and have been asking me what cheesecake it was Cuz i was very secretive about it hehe I even gave some to fellow bloggers Lianne (Food Made With Love) and Julie (I Dream In Chocolate), but even they didn’t know what it was hahhaa
Now it’s finally time to reveal the mysterious cheesecake *DRUM ROLLS PLEASE* it is a ‘Vanilla Honey Cheesecake’😀
And I actually made it for the Alphabakes challenge this month ~ hosted by my dear blogger friend Ros (The More Than Occasional Baker) and the letter this month was “V”. As soon as I saw it…I freaked out…OMG what the heck am I going to bake for the letter “V”. Then Mr Bao rolled his eyes and said ‘Vanilla duh’… so that immediately comforted me hehe so then with the Queen’s Jubilee I wanted to make a ‘Victorian’ Sponge, but so many people were making it…so I was once again lost…was so close to just making simple Vanilla cupcakes…but what fun would that be >_<
Then I jumped on one of my favourite websites taste.com and typed vanilla and that’s when I found this recipe ‘Vanilla Honey Cheesecake’ that first appeared in the ‘delicious’ magazine a few years ago. Right then and there I knew I was going to make it because last year when I went to Beechworth I bought Honey Vanilla and had never used it like a lot of things I buy😛 This was the PERFECT time to use it!
I’m sorry I don’t remember how much it was but unde $10AUD and not sure where else you can get it, because I bought it from the Beechworth Honey retail store in Beechworth, but you can buy it online through their website or find similar vanilla honey in specialty stores like ‘The Essential Ingredient’ or simply use normal honey
Essentially this is a baked cheesecake, but with the vanilla extract and vanilla honey it gives it another dimension of flavour ~ I hope you like it! Sorry I didn’t have my camera when I was making the actual cake, so I can’t show you the step-by-step, but I did take photos of making the biscuit crust ~ hope this will help you Winston (The Hungry Excavator) next time you make a cheesecake ~
Recipe – Vanilla Honey Cheesecake adapted from Delicious Magazine
Ingredients (Makes 20cm cake)
75grams unsalted butter
150 grams caster sugar
350 cream cheese (Philadelphia)
4 tablespoon (20ml) Vanilla Honey
75ml thickened cream
3 eggs, separated
25 grams plain flour
1 vanilla bean, split or 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract/paste
50grams brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
50g flaked almonds
250 grams digestive/plain sweet biscuits
125 grams unsalted butter, melted
1) To make the biscuit base, release the base of a 20cm spring form cake pan and invert it. Spray with oil and line base with baking parchment, place it back into the pan and secure it.
2) You can either use a food processor to blitz the biscuits until it resembles sand and add 125grams melted butter and blitz again until it resembles wet sand.
3) You can place the biscuits into a Zip Lock bag and use a rolling pin and ‘crush’ or ‘bash’ them
I love doing this by hand, even though I have a food processor, because it gives me so much joy being able to ‘hit’ something lol but the key here is not to do it ‘too hard’ because the bag will just pop and you’ll get biscuits everywhere and lol this may sound really silly but you kind of need to hit with a bit of a rhythm Hope this tip with help anyone who has trouble with this ~
5) When the biscuits is evenly crushed and looks like sand, you can mix the melted butter and combine until it resembles wet sand.
6) Slowly placed spoonfuls of the ‘biscuit mixture’ into the cake tin and pack it into the base firmly and the side of the pan using the back of the spoon. You may want to use a glass to help with the edges and keep an even thickness of crust around the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill, it’s now ready to be used
To make the filling
7) Preheat oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan-forced
8) Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer or electric mixer until pale.
9) Add cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of vanilla honey, cream egg yolks and flour when incorporated add vanilla seeds/extract and mix well.
10) In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold into cheese mixture. Pour into prepared biscuit base.
11) Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and almonds and sprinkle over cheesecake then bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and allow cake to cool inside the oven.
12) To serve, drizzle with extra honey.
I obviously drizzled my slice with lots and lots of honey lol my Dad had a slice and said it was ‘really’ sweet so for those who don’t really have a ‘huge’ sweet tooth maybe just drizzle a tiny bit ~
I am SO SO SO happy with this cake It definitely turned out better than I expected and lol the photos turned out better than I expected too and I tried to do a little food styling ~ I’m still a noob so please excuse the ‘amateur’ efforts ~
I hope I didn’t disappoint anyone with this cheesecake and thank you for all the support and lovely comments I received on Instagram and Twitter ~