Afternoon Classic – Scones

Scones

I randomly made these scones a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t believe how many people liked the scones and asked if I could blog the recipe 🙂 Such nice encouragement so here is it everyone! It’s a recipe I’ve been using for a while now, I find this recipe to be one of the easiest to make and you will have most of the ingredients at home.

Scones1The only part I don’t like about making scones is rubbing the butter into the flour because I have long nails, and the mixture always get stuck. The dough can also be a little sticky when rolling and cutting it out, but trust me it’s worth it! Anyhow, please try and let me know how your scones turn out 😀

Recipe – Scones adapted from Taste.com
Yield – 12-14 scones depending on size

Ingredients
3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
Pinch of salt
50g unsalted butter, chopped
1 1/4 cup (310ml) milk
Extra milk to glaze

To Serve
Raspberry jam
Whipped cream

Method
1) Preheat oven to 220°C (fan forced) and line tray with baking paper. Sift self raising flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Add butter and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
2) Pour milk into the well and use a butter knife in a cutting action to stir and combine until it is just combined and becomes a soft but sticky dough (Add more flour or milk if too dry or too wet).
3) Gently knead dough on floured surface using your fingers or a rolling pin pat the dough into a 2cm thick disc.
4) Using a scone cutter (5cm diameter round cutter) dipped into flour and cut into scones. Place scones onto tray making sure they stick together. To glaze gently brush scone with some milk.
5) Bake scones on the top shelf of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and scones sound hollow when gently tapped. Place scones into a clean tea towel and serve warm with jam and cream.

Scones2

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Afternoon Classic – Scones

1. Jess Carey June 1, 2015 at 8:52 am Reply

Best afternoon tea ever! And they look so golden and beautiful 🙂

2. Peachy_Tales June 1, 2015 at 9:53 am Reply

Looks so tasty and so very well done..good job.I never made any.would love to try.. Please do say Hello on my blog too sometimes..Would love to connect x

3. hotlyspiced June 1, 2015 at 10:16 am Reply

How lovely to receive so many compliments on your scones. I do love the look of them and that brand of raspberry jam is my favourite xx

4. Keren June 1, 2015 at 10:51 am Reply

Oooh, they definitely do look moorish!

5. Mrs Organised June 1, 2015 at 12:50 pm Reply

Scones are one of my favourite afternoon teas … so light, fluffy and delicious!

6. Curious Charlie June 2, 2015 at 12:12 am Reply

Yum! The trick to not getting it all sticky and everywhere is to roll it between two pieces of parchment paper. 😉

7. missemzyy June 2, 2015 at 6:23 pm Reply

Lovely photos Daisy! They look perfect!!

8. Amanda@ChewTown June 17, 2015 at 4:53 pm Reply

I am partial to a scone! And yours look perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe 😉