Gumbo Experience – Po’ Boy Quarter

Po' Boy Quarter

I swear I do not live on Smith St or anywhere close by, but I do find myself going there quite regularly ๐Ÿ˜› Here’s another restaurant I have recently visited with Libby and that is Po’ Boy Quarter. I’ve walked and past so many times and have been meaning to visit but haven’t had the chance. I’ll be honest that day Po’ Boy it wasn’t our first preference, but the restaurant we wanted to visit wasn’t open yet so it was the perfect opportunity.

Po' Boy Quarter

It’s a very casual diner type restaurant, the menu is hung up on the wall behind the counter, you pay and order, then take a number and the food will be delivered to your table. The menu’s quite small but still enough to make my stomach rumble!

Homemade New Orleans Lemonade $5

Homemade New Orleans Lemonade $5

We started the meal with the Homemade New Orleans Lemonade served in the classic red disposable cups which just reminds me of American soup operas where they also use these cups ~ I’m not sure if you can see from this picture but the lemonade is not clear but a pinkish colour probably because it has some cranberry juice because I could taste the slight bitterness. It wasn’t as sweet as I expected it to be and I found there to be a slight salty aftertaste.

Po' Boy Quarter

On the left – Deep Fried Shrimp Po’ Boy $11.9

As the name suggest they obviously sell Po’ Boys! For those who don’t know it can be described as subway like sandwiches which often have roast meat or prawns as the filling ~ Libby and I were quite hungry so we decided to get a Po’ Boy each and a Gumbo to share. The one on the left is the one Libby ordered theย Deep Fried Shrimp withย tomato, lettuce, pickles, ketchup, mayo and cajun slaw. I tried one of the prawns and it was nicely fried in a light batter, I did find the texture to be a little soft.

Beef Debris Po' Boy $11.9

Beef Debris Po’ Boy $11.9

I felt like something a little heavier that night, so I went for the Beef debris which is aย 10 hour braised beef shredded with cajun gravy French’s mustard, mayonnaise and Louisiana Hot Sauce. The beef was tender but I found that it was getting stuck between my teeth but I really liked the flavour especially the hot sauce. It’s such a large serving with quite a lot of bread both Libby and I struggled to finish it, so it’s probably a good idea to share it if you’re not too hungry and great value for money ๐Ÿ™‚

Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo

Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo $7

We also shared the Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo, it’s the first time I’ve had a gumbo. I immediately thought of the movie Forrest Gump and the section where it takes about gumbo dishes hehe. I didn’t expect the gumbo to be so smokey and such strong flavours of spices. I can’t say I’m a fan, maybe because I’m not use to these flavours. But I’d like to try some more gumbos and compare it with this one. Hint hint Veda would be really nice if I could try your one ๐Ÿ˜›

I’m so sad we didn’t get to try the dessert this time, because we were rushing off to another event, but I’d love to come back and try the white chocolate and pumpkin cheesecake. I find any dessert with pumpkin in it to be so American ~

I haven’t had enough Po’ Boys or Gumbos to compare these with the traditional ones in Louisiana where it originates from. But I did enjoy our meal here and liked experiencing something new and think it’s a good alternative to our regular burgers or sandwiches ๐Ÿ™‚

Po' Boy Quarter on Urbanspoon

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , ,

27 thoughts on “Gumbo Experience – Po’ Boy Quarter

1. Libby November 26, 2013 at 8:27 am Reply

Man, you’re quick!

Yeah, wouldn’t mind trying another gumbo to compare. And agree – it’s good to eat American food that ain’t burgers for once!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 8:28 am Reply

Hahaha only because it’s a short post and something different ๐Ÿ™‚ still regret not getting dessert!

2. Choc Chip Uru November 26, 2013 at 9:25 am Reply

I am there if it means a gourmet sandwich like this ๐Ÿ˜€
    It definitely makes a change from the usual burger takeaways!

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm Reply

Definitely and i think it’s nice to have something else for a change hehe burgers are always good but you’ve gotta try a Po Boy hehe

3. grabyourfork November 26, 2013 at 9:28 am Reply

Red solo cup! lol. A shame they don’t do deep fried oyster po boys. They’re my fave!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:26 pm Reply

Apparently they do ๐Ÿ™‚ I just didn’t see it on the menu hehe!

4. Hannah November 26, 2013 at 11:35 am Reply

Red Solo Cups mean one thing and one thing only: Beer Pong.

5. Christina | The Hungry Australian November 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm Reply

I was going to talk about deep fried oyster po boys and then I saw Helen’s comment ๐Ÿ™‚ Yep, that’d do me nicely!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:27 pm Reply

I am so ignorant had no idea that Fried oyster was so common for Po boys hehe but they seem to have it on the menu so I’m going to have to go and try it out ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 26, 2013 at 3:07 pm Reply

This is bringing back memories of my recent trip to New Orleans! We ate so many po boys and gumbo! ๐Ÿ˜›

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:28 pm Reply

I can just imagine! You’re in the state of Po Boys and Gumbo!!! Would love to try the real deal over there ๐Ÿ™‚

7. hotlyspiced November 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm Reply

It’s a shock to me that there are no desserts on this post! Unbelievable that you had so much on that you had to rush to another event. I love the look of this food – there’s so much of it and yes, it would be difficult to fit in dessert xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:33 pm Reply

HAHHAA I thinks this is one of the VERY few posts of mine that don’t have dessert involved! But we simply couldn’t fit anymore food and we were going to another food event after this so we had to try and save some stomach space ๐Ÿ™‚ But i do want to go back and try the desserts ~ xox

8. liannelow November 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm Reply

Never had gumbo and would definitely like to experience it!! (: and…HOT SAUCE! mmm Just watched a top chef episode and they made their own twist on hot sauce. Sounds like an amazing experience! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:35 pm Reply

I think you and Lester will really enjoy it ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s something different and I don’t think we have many places in Melbourne that serve Po Boys or Gumbo hehe so it’s quite fun! Ohhhh making their own hot sauce sounds fun and painful imagine if you get chilli in your eyes OUCH hahaha ๐Ÿ˜›

9. Po' Boy Quarter November 26, 2013 at 11:03 pm Reply

We do! Freshly shucked oyster Po’ boys are a staple on the menu!

• Po' Boy Quarter November 26, 2013 at 11:05 pm Reply

And it’s not cranberry but classic New Orleans Peychauds bitters that flavour the lemonade.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:36 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment ๐Ÿ™‚ that explains why it wasn’t as sweet as I expected hehe will need to try the oyster Po Boy next time!

10. winstonthehungryexcavator November 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm Reply

Omg awesome!! I haven’t been to the phats brats in Fitzroy didn’t really pique my interest but I would seriously love to eat here!! Want to try a gumbo too. “Ruuuuuuun, Forrest, Ruuuuuun”!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2013 at 11:36 pm Reply

Don’t worry Winston ๐Ÿ™‚ I haven’t had the chance to visit Phatbrats either but give Po Boy a shot because I think you’ll like it and totally thought of Forrest Gump the movie when I was eating here lol

11. Sarah November 29, 2013 at 9:04 pm Reply

That looks really yum! I’ve tried the Po Boy food truck and really liked it – would be keen to try the restaurant! ๐Ÿ™‚

12. ironchefshellie December 2, 2013 at 9:37 pm Reply

If I lived in Fitzroy, I’d be the size of a house eating all the things. I guess that’s why everyone rides bikes there!

13. msihua (@msihua) December 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm Reply

All the good things and hip places to be are at Fitzroy/Collingwood/Brunswick.. I need to move there ASAP!

14. Cara @ Gourmet Chick December 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm Reply

I find myself on Smith Street very often as well – although it is dangerously close for me. Sounds like this is a good addition to Melbourne’s eat street!

15. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) December 6, 2013 at 4:21 pm Reply

It does look very authentic, although I wouldn’t really no first hand ๐Ÿ˜‰ I loove trying all different types of food too… I can’t believe you had to skip dessert :0!

16. thehungrymum December 6, 2013 at 4:27 pm Reply

Oh boy – a Deep Fried Shrimp Poโ€™ Boy would rock my world. Yum.