I’m sorry my Dearest Readers to start a post like this… but that’s really the best way to describe how I feel right now >_< I have unfortunately had the week from hell… one of the worse ones for a very long time! It all started on Tuesday when I locked myself out of our apartment, Wednesday work laptop decided to die on me, Thursday a gas leak at my parents, car engine issues and Friday my iPhone speaker died couldn’t dial or receive calls… That literally sums up my whole week… so that’s why I haven’t really been in the mood to blog or do anything else 😦
Whenever I’m stressed or feeling a little down… I bake and eat ridiculous amounts of sugar (more than usual :P) And that’s when I decided to make these Salted Caramel Popcorn Mud Cupcakes. I’ve seen this recipe in the new Taste Magazine for a couple of weeks now, and have been meaning to make them but haven’t had the chance so Thursday night was the perfect time!
The cupcakes look quite spectacular but it’s actually relatively easy to make as the recipe uses a lot of store-bought products, I didn’t have time to go out and buy everything so I’ve improvised and adapted it a little. For instance, I made the salted caramel instead of using jersey caramel lollies and used a Chocolate Macadamia spread instead of the Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting ~
I haven’t tried the original recipe, but I find that using my own salted caramel, it’s probably not as sweet and even Mr Bao gave it the thumbs up! I highly recommend this recipe because it not only easy to make, yummy to eat but looks amazing! I felt so much better after baking these cupcakes and I’m sure next week is going to be much better! Hope you all have a lovely weekend! 😀
Recipe – Salted Caramel Popcorn Mud Cupcakes adapted from Taste Magazine
Yield – 12 cupcakes
150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
100g unsalted butter, cubed
125ml (1/2 cup) boiling hot water
215g (1 cup) caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
100g (2/3 cup) plain flour
40g (1/4 cup) self-raising flour
30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
450g chocolate frosting (store bought or homemade)
200g popcorn (store bought flavoured or homemade)
100g salted caramel (store bought or homemade)
melted chocolate to decorate
Salted Caramel makes 550g adapted from Pierrick Boyer
300g caster sugar
125ml thickened cream
2g sea salt
200g unsalted butter
– You can keep the homemade salted caramel for about a week in the fridge
– You can buy chocolate frosting or just make it yourself e.g. icing sugar, cocoa powder and hot water
– Do not over bake cupcakes as it will make it tough and dry
– Original recipe adds salted roasted peanuts to it as well, this is optional 🙂
1) Make the salted caramel first, place the sugar and water into a large saucepan and cook without stirring until it becomes a deep toffee colour (about 160°C) be careful not to burn it.
2) In a separate saucepan, heat the thickened cream until just boiled. When sugar becomes the deep caramel colour quite pour in thickened cream and whisk until smooth. Be careful it is very hot!
3) Tip butter in and whisk until smooth. It will be quite watery but will thicken as it cools. Set aside
4) Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced and line a 12 cupcake pan with paper cases
5) Place butter, sugar and hot water into a saucepan and heat stirring occasionally until smooth. Stir in caster sugar and vanilla extra. Whisk in flours, cocoa powder and egg until well combined.
6) Divide mixture evenly among cases. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7) Once cooked remove from oven and transfer to wire rack and let cool it completely.
8) Combine popcorn and salted caramel together and set aside for 3 minutes to let it bind together.
9) To assemble spread a little (1tbs) chocolate frosting on the cupcakes and spoon caramel popcorn on top and create a little mountain.
10) Melt dark chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over cupcakes.