Almond Graham Cracker Brittle – The Sweet Swap

I love the food blogging community 🙂 Nearly everyone I’ve met so far have been friendly, helpful and wonderfully caring. This year some of us have come together to participate in The Sweet Swap to help raise funds for the Child Fund Australia, an independent non-profit organisation that works to reduce poverty for children in developing countries.

Sweet-Swap-LOGO

It’s a brand new event that Amanda (Chew Town) and Sara (Belly Rumbles) have created this year ~ And as soon I heard about it, I immediately signed up. It’s a really simple and fun event, we donate a small fee to register and then we bake our sweet goodies, pack and send them to our 3 matches. We then wait patiently for our 3 parcels to arrive 🙂

Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 6.57.18 PM

Salted Caramel Popping Candy from Billy (A Table For Two)

My first sweet swap goodie to arrive was from Billy (A Table For Two)! I was in shock for a good minute or two because I had been following Billy’s blog since his Masterchef days and also have his book in my bookshelf. Never would I thought I’d have the chance to try anything he makes, let alone his chocolate truffles! They’re not your oridnary truffles these are Salted Caramel Popping Candy Chocolate Truffles! I loved salted caramel and popping candy going off in my mouth ~ Its also super cute with his logo on the truffles.

The Dainty Baker

Homemade Toffifay from Rhonda (The Dainty Baker)

Next to arrive was homemade Toffifay from Rhonda (The Dainty Baker), I actually never had a proper Toffifay before but these homemade ones were so delicious and addictive! I loved the chewiness from the caramel and the crunchiness from the roasted hazelnut 🙂 Can’t wait to try and make some at home!

Pistachio Nougat From Amanda (Chew Town)

Pistachio, Walnut and Coconut Nougat From Amanda (Chew Town)

It took longer for the last goodies to arrive, turns out that my neighbour accidentally took it… thank gosh he returned it unopened and again another huge surprise it was from Amanda (Chew Tow) one of the co-organisers of The Sweet Swap! What a coincidence 🙂 Amanda made Pistachio, Walnut and Coconut Nougat, I’m not usually a fan of nougat but these were so delicious. With a soft and marshmallowy texture and I love anything with pistachios ~

Almond Graham Cracker Brittle

Almond Graham Cracker Brittle

As for myself, I feel a little bad because I didn’t have the time nor have the skills to make such pretty chocolate truffles. Instead I decided to make a brittle and chose this Almond Graham Cracker Brittle, it attracted me because I recently bought a large box of Graham Crackers and thought this would be a great recipe to use them instead of just making S’mores 😉

Recipe – Almond Graham Cracker Brittle adapted from Korean American Mommy

Yield – 12 slices

Ingredients
200g (1 Cup)  Brown Sugar
225g Unsalted Butter
Pinch of Salt
1 Cup Sliced or Flaked Almonds (Or any nuts you like)
Graham crackers approximately 10 pieces

Notes
– It’s a bit harder to find Graham Crackers in Australia, I got mine from USA Foods
– I guess if you can’t find them any tea biscuits should work too
– Caramel will be very hot so be very careful
– Brittle will be very soft but don’t worry it will harden up as it cools 🙂

Almond Graham Cracker Brittle

Method
1) Preheat oven to 175Cº (350ºF). Cover baking tray with aluminium foil, ensure that it hangs over the edges to make it easy to remove. Lay graham crackers to cover the whole tray.
2) In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium/high heat and then add the brown sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. Constantly stirring until the sugar dissolves and becomes a thick caramel.
3) Lower heat to medium/low pour almonds in and stir. Cook until all almonds are covered in the caramel. Caramel will be very hot, carefully pour over the graham crackers and spread it out evenly. Bake in oven for 10 minutes and remove from oven and leave to cool completely before breaking or cutting it into pieces.

Almond Graham Cracker Brittle 1

I have been told these are toothachingly sweet 😛 But I can’t get enough of the soft gooey almond topping and the crunchy graham cracker base! Hope my Sweet Swap matches liked these and my Dearest Readers will also try making these.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Almond Graham Cracker Brittle – The Sweet Swap

1. Tina @ bitemeshowme July 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm Reply

I think you got lucky with the 3 bakers who got you 😉 Love your idea daisy. So simple but looks incredible x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 16, 2013 at 11:31 am Reply

Thanks lovely 🙂 I didn’t know that your participated too it would’ve been awesome if I got your goodies hehe ~

2. renxkyoko July 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm Reply

Erm, what ‘s the preferred size of the tray?

3. Choc Chip Uru July 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm Reply

What a great program, I might just join this after HSC! You received some delicious eats, and sent out some awesome brittle 🙂

4. goodfoodweek July 15, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reply

Thanks for sending me this delicious treat – yes, they were super sweet but it meant my treats lasted me for a few morning/afternoon teas which was great!
    Shari from http://www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm Reply

I think your contribution looks delicious! It’s really about the taste isn’t it! 😀

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 16, 2013 at 11:36 am Reply

Thanks Lorraine 🙂 Will try harder next year and make something more fancy hehe

6. Simon @ the heart of food July 15, 2013 at 7:51 pm Reply

Brittle with a biscuit base. Now that sounds interesting. Graham crackers too no less. Good work 🙂

7. msihua (@msihua) July 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reply

Oh this looks so yum even though I don’t eat dessert! Lol! Good Job!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 16, 2013 at 11:29 am Reply

You’re the funniest baker I know 🙂 bake but don’t like to eat gimme gimme 😛

8. Norma Chang July 16, 2013 at 10:48 am Reply

A great cause and you sure received lovely goodies.

9. hotlyspiced July 16, 2013 at 11:35 am Reply

This is certainly a fantastic idea and you received such a variety of goodies and they all look so yummy. I love the look of your brittle and I’m sure it was up to the standard and very well received. And the most important thing is that it’s all for a good cause xx

10. milkteaxx July 16, 2013 at 11:45 am Reply

aww this looks so good! yummy!

11. Sarah July 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm Reply

Your almond graham cracker brittle looks so decadent and delicious! I love crunchy biscuity goodness! Toffifees are really yummy too, you can get them at Aldi!

12. Alana July 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reply

Your treats look SO GOOD, like, I can’t even. Any brown sugar based dessert scores big in my books.

13. Hannah July 17, 2013 at 1:49 am Reply

Oh my gosh. I want ALL of these. SO BADLY. Dying to try the Toffifay because the real ones have always tasted stale and not-what-they-purport-to-be to me!

14. The Hangry Bitch July 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm Reply

Yay to Sweet Swap! The graham brittle is such a great idea! Well done =)

15. Julie July 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm Reply

These look so delicious! hehe toothachingly sweet! why am I not surprised!

16. chewtown July 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm Reply

I LOVE toothachingly sweet though! They look simply scrumptious and now I’m wishing that I got treats from you too!! Thanks so much for participating this year. xx

17. […] In return, I received goodies from Jen @ Jenius, Angie @ Angie Lives to Eat and Daisy @ Never Too Sweet For Me […]

18. […] Almond Graham Cracker Brittle from Never Too Sweet […]