Pizza Festival 2013 – Cantina Centrale

I use to think Pizza was junk food, and should only be eaten on special occasions. Of course that’s because I was thinking of the pizzas from Pizza Hut and Dominos where they have a super thick base and overload it with toppings ๐Ÿ˜› But things changed when I was introduced to the traditional Italian woodfired pizza that have a thin base and less toppings but heaps of flavour!

IMG_3216

I didn’t know that there was a Pizza Festival that was happening in Melbourne right now, until Kathryn from Keep Left PR invited me to try out the pizzas at Cantina Centrale in Mont Albert. To celebrate the Pizza Festival, 13 pizzeries across Melbourne and Sydney will be showcasing their pizzas and offering customers a $20 deal, which comes with a pizza of your choice and a drink including a glass of red or white wine, beer or soft drink. Which I thought was a pretty good deal ~

Please meet Stephenie :)

This is Stephenie ๐Ÿ™‚

My other sister Macy and niece Stephenie has recently come to visit me from Hong Kong, so I couldn’t just leave them at home. So even though I was the only one invited, we decided to pay for the other things ourselves and enjoy a good meal together ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_3131

I rarely go to Mont Albert even though it’s a suburbs that’s actually not too far from where we live, and in one of the quiet streets next to the train station was Catina Centrale. As soon as we walked in, we immediately felt the liveliness of the restaurant with the Italian restaurant playing in the background and the chattering from other customers ~ A waiter with a warm smile and thick Italian accent immediately came to greet us and led us to our table next to the bar and woodfire oven.

IMG_3168

Cantina Centrale isn’t just a pizzerie, they also a wide range of appetizers and mains which I’d be interested to try next time. Of course we focused on the pizzas ๐Ÿ˜€ We quickly coordinated and ordered a pizza each.

Capricciosa Romana - tomato, ham, artichokes, mushrooms, fior di latte and olives $18

Capricciosa Romana – tomato, ham, artichokes, mushrooms, fior di latte and olives $18

Starting with the pizza I chose, a Capricciosa Romana which had tomato, ham, artichokes, mushrooms, flor di latte and olives. I didn’t know what fior di latte was but found out that it is mozzarella cheese which is one of my favourite. I really liked the combination of toppings especially the thinly sliced ham and mushrooms, but I’m not a fan of olives and found them to be a little overpowering. The pizza base was quite good, not too thick and had a good crust on the bottom.

Adriatica - tomato, fior di latte, calamari, prawns, clams, mussels, garlic and chilli $20

Adriatica – tomato, fior di latte, calamari, prawns, clams, mussels, garlic and chilli $20

Mr Bao and Macy both wanted the same pizza the Adriatica which is a seafood pizza with calamari, prawns, clams, mussels, tomato, fior di latte, garlic and chilli. This was our favourite pizza that night, we particularly liked the large prawns and clams, but I found that it lacked a bit of flavour and would’ve been better with some more chilli. We found this pizza base to be a little thicker but still had good texture.

Was so good Stephenie couldn't stop picking at it lol

Was so good Stephenie couldn’t stop picking at it lol

Prosciutto tomato, prosciutto, fior di latte, sage, rocket, shaved parmigiano $20

Last pizza for the night was the prosciutto which tomato, fior di latte, sage, rocket and shaved parmigiano. Unfortunately, this was our least favourite as we found the sage and rocket too bitter and when combined with the salty prosciutto it just wasn’t what we expected which is a shame because we had enjoyed the other pizzas.

Tortino al cioccolato - Double baked chocolate fondant pudding with vanilla ice-cream $11.50

Tortino al cioccolato – Double baked chocolate fondant pudding with vanilla ice-cream $11.50

I don’t think I can ever leave a restaurants without ordering at least one dessert ๐Ÿ˜› We ordered the Tortino al cioccolato which is a double baked chocolate fondant pudding served with mixed berry sauce and vanilla ice-cream. I was a little disappointed because the pudding was overcooked and not molten at all, I’m not sure if this is the Italian style or if it’s because it was double baked. It tasted quite nice chocolate with some mixed berry sauce in the middle. Vanilla ice-cream was creamy and contrasted well with the rich chocolateness.

IMG_3214

I wanted the Nutella pizza that they offered, but Mr Bao insisted on getting the coffee flavoured panna cotta. Surprisingly it was served in a cup and although coffee flavours were intense, we found the texture quite firm and tasted more like a mouse and didn’t quite have that wobbliness you would expect from a panna cotta.

Panna cotta al caffe - coffee infused panna cotta $11.5

Panna cotta al caffe – coffee infused panna cotta $11.5

Sorry guys I totally forgot the names and price of these drinks, to go with our pizza Mr Bao got the white wine which was very easy to drink and very light tasting. We found that it went very well with the saltiness from the Capricciosa Romana pizza.

White Wine

White Wine

I don’t normally drink on a weeknight but beer and pizza on a Monday night? Why not? ๐Ÿ˜› Especially since it was a super busy day at work, it was the best way to relax and forget all about it. This is an Italian imported beer, once again sorry again I didn’t get the name, but it was very strong and great malt flavour. Probably a bit too strong for me but Mr Bao really enjoyed it so we ended up swapping our drinks!

Italian Beer

Italian Beer

We really liked the idea of the Pizza Festival and think it’s a great idea to allow people to try and discover traditional Italian pizzas. I never knew that there were so many pizzeriesย in Melbourne and definitely not one that quite close to us ๐Ÿ™‚

There’s a few events left for the Pizza Event and also the closing event held on the 30th at Artists’ Market, where customers will get all the pizzas they can eat for only $25. For more information please go to their website.

IMG_3191

Cantina Centrale on Urbanspoon
Daisy and guests @Nevertoosweet received one complimentary pizza deal from Keep Left PR and Pizza Festival 2013, the rest of the food was paid for individually.ย

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , ,

29 thoughts on “Pizza Festival 2013 – Cantina Centrale

1. renxkyoko June 26, 2013 at 11:44 am Reply

Ooooh ! ! Yummy ! ! ! Yowsh ! !

2. hotlyspiced June 26, 2013 at 11:49 am Reply

I love woodfired pizzas. I think they cook the pizza bases the best. I love the look of all of these and I think Monday nights being set aside for beer and pizza should be the start of a great tradition xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reply

I couldn’t agree with you more Charlie! Good pizzas are hard to find and even harder for woodfired ones but these were quite good ๐Ÿ™‚ And yes great tradition I’ll need to keep it going hehe xox

3. milkteaxx June 26, 2013 at 11:50 am Reply

all the pizzas look very good, since being introduced to traditional italian woodfired pizza, eating pizza hut is so eurgh!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 27, 2013 at 3:45 pm Reply

Hahaha i know exactly what you mean! I don’t like the super thick base anymore ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

4. Choc Chip Uru June 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm Reply

These pizzas all look absolutely delicious my friend, wonderful job ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm Reply

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ Good pizzas are hard to find but when you find them they’re so good hehe ~

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm Reply

The pizzas look really great but Stephanie totally stole the show for me! She’s such a cutie pie and I love kids that eat! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 28, 2013 at 3:54 pm Reply

Aww thank you hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ I do too kids that don’t eat I get really frustrated hahaha but no kid has managed to outdo my nephew Aden he loves food so much hehe

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme June 27, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

Woodfire pizzas are the best. Once you go woodfire, everything else doesn’t seem as great. Italy sure has the most authentic pizzas you will ever eat. IT’s not always about the toppings, it’s the quality of ingredients used and simplicity of flavours.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 28, 2013 at 3:56 pm Reply

I’d love to go to Italy and try the true authentic Italian woodfired pizzas and agree with you that the toppings isn’t everything sometimes the simpliest pizza with just mozzarella and basil pizzas are the best!

7. Hannah June 27, 2013 at 10:31 am Reply

The Adriatica looks awesome to me!

8. Trish June 29, 2013 at 11:49 am Reply

WOW so many pizzas to choose from! I probably would exercise for a whole week to burn it all off. Still looks amazing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:18 am Reply

Hahahhaa don’t remind me LOL I’m probably still burning off all those carbs oops!!!

9. Sara (Belly Rumbles) (@bellyrumbles) June 29, 2013 at 9:03 pm Reply

Oh hello, pizza festival!! I am a thin base, few toppings girl, nom. I can’t do the pizza huts etc in regard to pizza.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:20 am Reply

I use to be the opposite thick base and heaps of toppings but now I know simple is best hehe ~

10. msihua (@msihua) June 30, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply

Looks so fun! Carbocideeeee wheeeee

11. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) June 30, 2013 at 8:21 pm Reply

Your sister timed her visit well – PIZZZZZAAAAAA!!!! LOL

It’s so good when you find a place that does great pizza although it may be carb overload. It’s worth it!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:25 am Reply

Hahhaa she definitely did but she’s leaving tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜ฆ wont be able to find pizzas as good in HK!

I definitely don’t mind the carb overload hehe!

12. thehungerpangs June 30, 2013 at 11:36 pm Reply

I love woodfired pizza! They definitely give pizza an authenticity that places like Pizza Hut and Domino’s just can’t. And trust you to squeeze in dessert! I was totally waiting for the next chocolate fondant photo to be of the ‘lava explosion’ variety, haha. Sucks that it wasn’t, but it looks you had a great night! Your niece is a cutie! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:28 am Reply

Hahhaa i always have room for dessert and not just one too ๐Ÿ˜› Just a shame that the fondant wasn’t as molteny as I expected but still good and I think Stephenie still had fun ๐Ÿ™‚

13. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) July 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reply

Oh no!! My comment disappeared… anyway I just said how much I love woodfired pizza with gourmet toppings.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:29 am Reply

I’m so sorry Julie that your comment disappeared I’ll look into it ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes woodfired pizzas are definitely better!

14. Libby July 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm Reply

I love the pic of Stephenie grabbing the pizza! The dough looks so fluffy – I must try this place one day, especially since it’s not too far from home. I will stay away from the desserts though – ick!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:30 am Reply

Hahaha that’s my favourite pic too! i wasn’t sure if i should post it but Sis didn’t seem to mind yay ๐Ÿ™‚ Definitely try this place especially since it’s so close to home which is great just 5 mins away from box hill hehe ~

15. ironchefshellie July 6, 2013 at 10:00 pm Reply

Pizza is only junk food when it comes from the dodgy $5 pizza store ๐Ÿ˜› hahaha Love me a gourmet pizza!