Whirlwind Trip to Singapore – Maxwell Food Centre

For Readers who follow me on Instagram and Twitter you may have noticed a few weeks ago, Mr Bao and I made a whirlwind trip to Singapore. I know it may sound a little extreme to go to Singapore for only 4 days and 3 nights, but I don’t have much annual leave left and really wanted to go away somewhere outside of Australia ๐Ÿ™‚ Even though it seems like a super short time, we managed to meet so many people, eat at so many places it’s quite ridiculous! I think we’ve outdone ourselves ๐Ÿ˜› And now i’m super excited about sharing our adventures with you ~

Garden By The Bar, Singapore

Garden By The Bar, Singapore

We caught an early flight from Melbourne and arrived at Singapore at around 5pm, we quickly checked into our hotel (Hotel Ibis Beecoolen) and immediately jumped into a cab to our first stop Maxwell Food Centre. We were intending to go to Tiong Bahru Market but the taxi driver suggested that we go to Maxwell instead as it was closer to us. Someone has once told me, taxi drivers are one of the best tour guides as they consistently drive through the city, so we took his advice.

Maxwell

As we walked in, Maxwell Food Centre reminded me of some of the food courts that can be found in other Asian cities, but it was very clean clean and organised. No wonder every comments that Singapore is super clean. Even though the food centre isn’t air conditioned it does have fans to keep patrons cool.

Before coming to Singapore I had bugged all my Singapore friends Yue, Lianne, Siok and Beth to give me their recommendations of where to eat so I knew the famous Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice was at Maxwell. But unfortunately, when we went I think it had already closed and we didn’t get to try ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Doesn’t matter because we found Heng Heng Hainanese Chicken Rice instead ~

Hainanese Chicken rice $4.5SGD ($3.7AUD)

Hainanese Chicken rice $4.5SGD ($3.7AUD)

I couldn’t believe that all this food was only $4.5SGD which was an equivalent of $3.7 Australia dollars! We can barely buy a drink with that here in Melbourne! Mr Bao was super hungry and got extra rice for 50c more ~ The chicken was boneless but more importantly it was tender and succulent covered in the essential soy sauce.

IMG_9468
What blew me away was the chicken soup, it had such intense chicken flavour, I can just imagine the number of chickens that have boiled in the soup and the chicken bones added to give it even more flavour. This was a new experience to me, because I find the chicken soup in Melbourne to be very diluted and often just a combination of water, salt and even worse MSG. While the rice was more on the firmer side, each and every grain was flavoured with chicken stock as well. I’m not really even a rice eater but even I had more than usual ~ I also couldn’t get enough of that sticky dark soy sauce which was distinctively sweet, have never been able to find it here ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
Oyster omelette $8SGD ($6.5AUD)

Oyster omelette $8SGD ($6.5AUD)

Next was the oyster omelette, I’m not really sure if this is a Singaporean dish but it was very similar to the Teochew oyster omelete I’ve had before in Hong Kong. It was made to order and piping hot, a lot of egg yolks must have been used as it had a strong egg flavour and also had little oyster mixed through. It was most delicious when dipped in the sambal sauce.

Curry Laksa $3SGD ($2.45AUD)

Curry Laksa $3SGD ($2.45AUD)

Once again I was in disbelief when Mr Bao told me that this bowl of laksa was only $3SGD! How is it possible to make something so delicious yet sell it so cheap ๐Ÿ˜€ The coconut curry soup was so much stronger and spicier than the ones I’ve had and also liked the addition of clams instead of chicken. We also liked the fish balls as we found them be firmer and with more flavour.

Bee Hoon Noodles

Bee Hoon Noodles

I also realised that the noodles they use is quite different here in Singapore.ย Thanks to Instagram, I found out that this type of noodles is called Bee Hoon and in Singapore nearly all curry laksas use these noodles. While Malaysians will use a mixture of rice vermicelliย and egg noodles and that’s the type that I’ve been eating in Melbourne ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t really say which type I like more because the bee hoon has a more ‘bouncier’ texture and I quite liked that ~

Satay $6SGD ($4.9AUD) Pork, chicken, beef 60c and lamb 70c

Satay $6SGD ($4.9AUD) Pork, chicken, beef 60c and lamb 70c

Still feeling hungry we ordered a plate of satays, once again great value. Pork, chicken and beef for only 60c each and lamb satays were 70c. I couldn’t really tell which one was which hahaha but they all tasted good to me, they’re also smaller than the ones I’ve had before, it was like one bite per skewer. The satays would not have been the same without the curry peanut sauce ๐Ÿ˜€
IMG_9493
Hahaha because it was so hot, Mr Bao was sweating like a dog so he needed lots and lots of drinks to cool down ๐Ÿ˜›
Sugar Cane Juice $

Sugar Cane Juice $1.5SGD ($1.2AUD)

Starting with the Sugar Cane juice, we were so excited to see this on sale as it’s becoming hard to find these freshly squeezed sugar cane juice in Hong Kong. It was sweet but not sickly so and definitely helped quench Mr Bao’s thirst and cool him down a little.

Young Green Coconut $2.8SGD ($2.3AUD)

Young Green Coconut $2.8SGD ($2.3AUD)

I’ve never seen such a HUGE coconut! But then realised it’s a young green coconut so it hasn’t matured, I found the juice to resemble very much like water but with subtle taste of coconut. I think I prefer the young coconuts as the juice is much sweeter ๐Ÿ˜› Having said that the flesh I had lots of fun scooping out the flesh from this young green coconut!

Tea tarik $2SGD ($1.65AUD)

Tea tarik $2SGD ($1.65AUD)

I thought that was enough drinks, but Mr Bao was still thirsty so we grabbed a Teh Tarik from Soon Li Coffee, but was a little taken back when the owner was quite rude and gave us a hot Teh Tarik when we asked for a cold one. The Teh Tarik itself was quite good but it wasn’t as strong as I expected and was slightly watery as not as creamy but was still nice.

IMG_9503

Almond jelly and lychee on shaved ice $2.5SGD ($2.05AUD)

Yes I had actually planned to have desserts after dinner with friends…but I couldn’t leave without a shaved ice of some sort ๐Ÿ˜› Mr Bao said he couldn’t find me Ais Kachang maybe because it’s a Malaysian dessert? So he came back to the table with this almond jelly with lychee on shaved ice. The almond jelly was quite firm and very strong almond flavour while lychees were very sweet. The shaved ice was also sweetened with a sugar syrup. Perfect way to end my first meal in Singapore ๐Ÿ˜€

If you stayed around the China town area, we would definitely recommend you visiting Maxwell Food Centre as it’s a great place to get a taste of local Singaporean hawker foods. You’ll find yourself leaving with a very full and satisfied stomach and only having to spend $10 or so Singaporean dollars!

Maxwell Food Centreย
1 Kadayanallur Street, Singapore 069184

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “Whirlwind Trip to Singapore – Maxwell Food Centre

1. Ashley May 31, 2013 at 8:29 am Reply

Yummm! Good work hitting up the hawker centre straight away (although why wouldn’t you?!) everything looks so good, I’m planning to be back in August…can’t wait for chicken riceeee!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm Reply

Soooooo lucky that you’re going back again in August I’d love to go back as well!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ everything was so delicious an cheap hehe totally ripped off in Melb!

2. hotlyspiced May 31, 2013 at 8:44 am Reply

If only we had a Maxwell’s here. It would be wonderful to be able to go out for dinner and eat so well for so little expense. I think it’s lovely that you and Mr Bao were able to get away for 3 nights and it sounds like you made the most of your time away and I bet you crammed an awful lot into those 4 days. Looking forward to your upcoming posts xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:42 pm Reply

Always good to go away even though its only for a few days ๐Ÿ™‚ but sad when the trips end hehe ~ we definitely made the most out of it and would’ve great if we had a maxwell in Australia that provided delicious and cheap food! Hope you ve had a good weekend! Xox

3. renxkyoko May 31, 2013 at 8:58 am Reply

Good food. I wish I could remember Singapore. I was told we stayed there for one month, but I was only 4 years old. All I had were photos of me, ha ha ha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm Reply

Hahhaha I know what you mean it’s hard to remember of holidays when you are that young >_< maybe it's time for you to return hehee

4. cltyw May 31, 2013 at 9:17 am Reply

In SG, Teh Tarik is not the normal term use. It more common in Malaysia. You can notice there isn’t any frothy top on tea.

More common term use in SG is
    Teh : tea with milk
    Teh – O : tea without milk
    Kopi : coffee with milk
    Kopi – O : coffee without milk
    and a lot more………

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm Reply

Thanks for the clarification ๐Ÿ™‚ I do know my Singaporean friends did call it Teh C Bing but also said teh Tarik was fine as well ~ either way good to know for next time hehe

5. Melissa Loh May 31, 2013 at 9:54 am Reply

Singapore is my motherland and I love to read when people visit and enjoy the diverse (and delicious) range of food to be had on those shores. Looks like you’ve covered all the classics, and Maxwell has one of the best chicken rice stalls on the island, so you’ve done very well.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm Reply

Thanks Melissa ๐Ÿ™‚ I really enjoyed Singapore it was so much fun and definitely love the food’ my bf is always laughing at me saying I m not Chinese enough because I prefer Singaporean/ Malaysian food more! Would have love the chance to stay for longer and eat more hehe

6. Catherine May 31, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reply

I’m so jealous, I didn’t have enough energy (way too hot hehe) to visit here when I was in Singapore last yr. All the hawker food looks amaze!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm Reply

Doesn’t matter there is always next time ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s hard to cover everything in one trip heheh it’s normal! More reasons to go back!

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme May 31, 2013 at 1:28 pm Reply

my favourite hawker centre. the congee there was amazing too, and it was just congee. love how everything is so cheap. it makes living in australia seem way way wayyyyyy expensive. not cool ๐Ÿ˜ฆ haha and yes, i too tried that hainan chicken and it blew me away. SO GOOD

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm Reply

We actually preferred tiong barhu hawker centre more ๐Ÿ™‚ will blog about that soon hehe but Maxwell was still amazing and I totally feel ripped off here in Australia paying $13 for a curry laksa hahaha

8. Ames May 31, 2013 at 1:43 pm Reply

awww missing SG! I also loved how all this amazing food was so cheap compared to Aussieland ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Choc Chip Uru May 31, 2013 at 2:36 pm Reply

I am very jealous my friend, these photos look way too delicious ๐Ÿ˜€
    Seriously want a whirlwind trip!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm Reply

I think these whirlwind trips are the next ๐Ÿ™‚ you pack it super full hehe

10. Julie May 31, 2013 at 5:27 pm Reply

Gah I miss singapore I love their hawker centres! I sadly didnt get around to trying chicken rice there we were in such a rush ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm Reply

Awww damn but doesn’t matter more reason to go back and hit up all the hainanese chicken stores ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) June 1, 2013 at 11:10 pm Reply

It looks like you made the most out of your whirlwind trip! Yes it is super hot now. Summer is here and so is the humidity!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm Reply

I definitely did make the most if it hehe it was back to back eating shopping and being with friends ๐Ÿ™‚ I m not a fan of the hot weather though hehe have a great weekend! Xox

12. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) June 2, 2013 at 7:00 am Reply

I would definitely return to Singapore even if I only had three days to spare. I loved my time there and I am missing the food already!! We spent so much time in the Hawker centres and Chinatown, I could have eaten one of everything!! We didn’t find any of the Hainese Chicken though… Oh well, a good reason to return ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm Reply

I know Singapore is a great city to visit so much to eat and shop! Oh a shame that you couldn’t find hainanese chicken rice >_< but like you said always next time hehe

13. liannelow June 2, 2013 at 10:50 pm Reply

awww SO FUN!!! (: So glad that you got a chance to head to Singapore and try all the different food especially the our famous hawker food! hehe Reading your post has made me SUPER hungry and craving for all the food! hehe I’m sure after you’ve tried them, those in Melbourne will not taste as good ๐Ÿ˜› hehe I loveeeeeee sugar cane too!!! hehe I would ALWAYS order the largest cup, and would love a squeeze of lemon to balance out the sweetness of it! hehe Can’t wait to see your other Singapore food adventures though I’ve had a sneak peak through your instagram! hehe xx

14. milkteaxx June 3, 2013 at 10:44 am Reply

wow so much food and drinking! i want chicken rice right now!

15. Sarah June 3, 2013 at 8:24 pm Reply

Aaah! Amazing! I remember looking at your tweets/instagrams and thinking that you sure made the most of such a short trip! Great work! ๐Ÿ™‚

16. The Hangry Bitch June 4, 2013 at 9:29 pm Reply

I was sooo envious when I saw all these pictures on Instagram! And to be honest, I wouldn’t know where to eat in Singapore (except for the chicken rice at Katong, coz that’s near home for me). I’m going back in Oct, can’t wait to stuff my face silly!