By Request – Grape, Cinnamon Yoghurt Brûlée

Never thought this recipe would get so much attention from friends and family 🙂 So many people have left me a message, texted me and even colleagues have asked me to post the recipe. So by request here it is! Last week my parents came over for dinner with two large grocery bags and inside we found so much fruit including 3kgs of red and green grapes! Keep in mind there’s only Mr Bao and I living here hahaha I think this is an Asian parent thing because my other friends say it’s common.

photo

We have been trying to eat the grapes at any chance we get, as morning snack, taking it to work and after dinner. But still there is so much left! So I decided to hit the books and find a few recipes that used grapes, this is when I came across Stephanie Alexander’s recipe of grape, ginger and yoghurt brûlée. It seemed easy enough and good as dessert or breakfast.

photo3

Basically it’s a ramekin filled full of grapes, then it’s covered with super thick Greek-style yoghurt and then a cinnamon brown sugar mixture is sprinkled on top. It is then placed under the griller and let the sugar melt and bubble wait for it to cool and hardens. I think it’s quite nice as breakfast with the grapes and the yoghurt being slightly warm and the sweetness and crunch from the sugar topping 🙂

My apologies for the lack of photos >_< Mr Bao made this and we weren’t planning to blog about this recipe and didn’t have time to remake it. But when we remake it I’ll update this post with more photos 😀 This recipe may sound a little strange but it’s really quite nice  ~ Hope you’ll like it!

Recipe – Grape, Cinnamon and Yoghurt Brûlée from Stephanie Alexander
Yield – 4 ramekins (125ml)

Ingredients
300g seedless red or green grapes, stems removed
200 ml Greek-style yoghurt (I used Chobani)
1/4 cup (55g) soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Method
1) Pack grapes really tightly in a single layer into each ramekin (125ml), they should be nearly fill the dishes. Spoon yoghurt over and smooth with the back of a spoon.
2) Chill the filled dishes in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
3) Preheat overhead griller to maximum.
4) Mix brown sugar and cinnamon ensuring there are no small lump in sugar. Sprinkle an even layer of sugar mixture over yoghurt and smooth with back of spoon. Ensure you can no longer see the yoghurt.
5) Place ramekins on a baking tray and slide under the griller and watch it carefully. It should take less than 1 minute the sugar will melt and caramelise. Remove baking tray and allow ramekins to cool slightly as the sugar will be very hot.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , ,

30 thoughts on “By Request – Grape, Cinnamon Yoghurt Brûlée

1. viveka May 6, 2013 at 9:38 am Reply

This going to be a must …. to try. Something else than fresh fruit salad … Thanks.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm Reply

Agreed it’s always nice to try something different and eat fruit in a different way 🙂 Hope you will like it!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 6, 2013 at 9:51 am Reply

How delicious! And hehe perhaps it is an Asian thing! My dad regularly drops off fruit-he buys it because it’s a great deal but it’s just him and my mother so they bring it over 😛

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm Reply

Hahhaa I definitely think it’s an Asian parent thing they also stopped over yesterday with 5 dozens of eggs i just say I ran out 😛

3. Sam May 6, 2013 at 10:12 am Reply

Thank heavens for peer pressure, I’m so glad you posted this! Looks unbelievable. I have a giant bowl of grapes in my fridge (though sadly, no Asian parents to replenish it) this is definitely getting made tonight

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:49 pm Reply

Thank you for the comment 🙂 and glad that you like the recipe ~ I usually post a lot quicker when I’m pressured hahahaa hope you enjoy and let me know how you go!

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme May 6, 2013 at 10:13 am Reply

So easy.. but i think the brulee bit takes the icing on the cake! Who doesn’t love a brulee topping??

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:50 pm Reply

That’s true sometimes i think I only like creme brulee cuz of the topping 🙂

5. Libby May 6, 2013 at 10:48 am Reply

Haha oh Asian parents and their grapes!

We also hoard Greek yoghurt in the fridge too (my sister is currently going through a Greek yoghurt phase) so we pretty much have all the ingredients needed to make this. Thanks for sharing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm Reply

hahaha totally think it’s an Asian thing with FRUIT and not just grapes 🙂

Ohhh so funny that your sister is on a phase ~ But it’s good Iove my yoghurt and need to have at least one a day hehe ~ hope you will like this recipe and try soon!

6. Choc Chip Uru May 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm Reply

I would love to try this, it looks so good 🙂

7. Hannah May 7, 2013 at 7:19 am Reply

Ah!! I remember seeing this recipe years ago and wanting to make it, but I forgot! Thanks Daisy! 🙂

8. hotlyspiced May 7, 2013 at 10:49 am Reply

Asian parents always seem to be so generous. My mother used to make something similar only she didn’t serve it in individual ramekins, rather just one large cooking dish. She put all the grapes on the bottom, then poured cream over the top, then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and put it under the grill until the sugar glistened. It was always a great dessert. I think your touch with the yoghurt would help to cut through the sweetness and individual ramekins are always a great idea xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 7, 2013 at 10:25 pm Reply

Asian parents are definitely generous and they love buying fresh fruit and veggies 🙂 actually making it with cream would make it more indulgent I might try that next time ~ Thanks for the idea Charlie xox

9. theragingcook May 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm Reply

Waaaaaaaaah yum!!! *Lau Hau Sui*

Bahahaha mmm mmm 😀

10. Cara @ Gourmet Chick May 8, 2013 at 4:04 pm Reply

Totally on my must eat list for next time I’m in Sydney

• Cara @ Gourmet Chick May 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm Reply

Oops just realised that comment made no sense! Meant to say that I would never have thought of putting grapes in but it actually looks pretty good!

11. thehungerpangs May 9, 2013 at 12:16 am Reply

Haha, my mum is exactly the same! If I ask her to buy something for me, she ends up buying it in the largest quantity possible, plus a million other things. Anyhoo, I’m jonesing for one of these now! What a unique combination of ingredients and flavours! 🙂

12. leaf (the indolent cook) May 9, 2013 at 2:31 am Reply

Haha, Asian parents… I know what that’s like. This is a really interesting dessert! And a fun way to use up excess grapes.

13. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice May 9, 2013 at 8:13 am Reply

What a fab idea! We always have yogurt around and actually a load of grapes from the farm!! So… I have this on my to do list 🙂

14. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) May 9, 2013 at 8:24 am Reply

Looks so good… I would also love it with cream too 🙂 YUM

15. Norma Chang May 9, 2013 at 8:33 am Reply

I freeze fresh grapes and eat them frozen or partially frozen as snack.

16. ironchefshellie May 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm Reply

Sounds amazing! A great way to use your constant supply of grapes 😛

17. The Hangry Bitch May 9, 2013 at 10:07 pm Reply

Thanks for posting the recipe! Can’t wait to try this!

18. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 10, 2013 at 9:00 am Reply

YUMMMM!! I have greek yoghurt in my fridge! What a healthy version of brulee!

19. msihua (@msihua) May 11, 2013 at 7:09 pm Reply

What a simple yet pleasurable delight!

20. Amanda@ChewTown May 24, 2013 at 9:15 am Reply

It’s an Italian thing too! My dad always buys boxes and boxes of fruit and my mum is always trying to figure out new ways to use it all.