An Extra Day – 8 Days Cafe

Dearest Readers, have you ever thought, how nice it would be for us to have 8 days instead of 7 in a week. We would work 5 days, have the weekends to spend with family and friends and on the 8th day…it’s for ourselves…we can do whatever we want – sleep, eat and rest! I am forever complaining that I need more time in a day, I simply don’t have time to do everything that I want and need to >_< Mr Bao and my friends are always telling me, I need to slow down but some how I can never just sit and home and do nothing.

8 Days Cafe

8 Days Cafe

Pushing my wishful thinking aside, we may not have 8 days in a week but we can go the 8 days cafe in Armadale for brunch and try to pretend that its the 8th day and we have it all to ourselves 😀 I was super lucky and was invited by BBFF Shellie and 8 days cafe to try out their brunch menu last week on Anzac day. I’ve driven past before but haven’t had the chance to try and since Ms I-Hua did a post, I knew it was going to be great ~

Mocha $3.5

Mocha $3.5

We were given a small table in the corner, which was nice and quiet and thankfully had good lighting 🙂 I started off with my regular mocha to be slightly watery but nonetheless warmed me up and made my tummy grumble as it was getting hungry.

Smashed avocado & Persian fetta on 6 grain w/smoked bacon & poached eggs $18

Smashed avocado & Persian fetta on 6 grain w/smoked bacon & poached eggs $18

First up was the smashed avocado with Persian fetta with smoked bacon and poached eggs on a thick slice of bread. I’m a fan of avocado and fetta, but this Persian fetta was amazing it was very smooth and not at all crumbly. Would love to know which brand they use so I can buy some myself ~ The bacon had a slight smokiness to it which made it even better. This was probably my favourite dish 🙂

Toasted Glicks bagel w/smoked salmon,spinach, avocado, poached eggs & chilli lime hollandaise $18

Another avocado dish, this time it was a bagel with smoked salmon, spinach, avocado poached eggs finished with some chilli lime hollandaise sauce. They use Glicks bagels here which in my opinion is probably one of the best bagels you can get in Melbourne, it has all that perfect chewy but soft texture. I also liked the chilli lime hollandaise which really helped cut through some of the richness from regular hollandaise.

Baked eggs w/ Tuscan bean cassoulét ,salsicchia & petite rocket salad $16

Baked eggs w/ Tuscan bean cassoulét ,salsicchia & petite rocket salad $16

Next up was the baked eggs with Tuscan beans, salssichia which I found out was an Italian sausage and rocket on scattered on top. It was a very large serving! I don’t think I could have even been able to finish half if I was by myself, glad that we shared it between 4 of us 🙂 I loved the spiciness from the salsicchia and sauce and the beans were nice and tender.

Avocado & Persian fetta on sourdough w/ chilli, basil & minted broadbean dressing $17

We then got another avocado and Persian fetta dish but this one was vegetarian dish with a chilli, basil and minted broadbean dressing. This is super healthy and probably a good choice after a big night out and you really need a cleanse the next day. But probably a bit too healthy for me 😛

Croissant French Toast with poached pears, candied pistachios, Crème fraîche and maple syrup $16

Now I’ve had different types of French Toast using a variety of breads, but never have I had one made from croissants. But it’s actually a genius idea because the texture of the croissant makes a great sponge and soaks up the eggy mixture. It’s then topped with wonderfully poached pears, candied pistachios and a dollop of Crème fraîche. My only complaint would be it needed a little more maple syrup ~

Spanish omelette with potato, piquillo pepers, onions, sauce ramesco, jamon and rocket salad $17

When I first saw this, I thought this was a pizza, but in turned out to be a Spanish omelette with potato, peppers and onion filling topped with jamon and rocket. I really liked the texture of the omelette which was rather light and kind of souffle like ~

Wagyu beef burger, brioche bun, gruyere cheese,smoked bacon,tomato relish & sliced pickles w/fat chips, crisp baby cos,tomato & aioli $21

Just when I thought the food has stopped coming, the waitress brings over a mini Wagyu beef burger with cheese, bacon, tomato and chips served with tomato sauce and aioli. I’m so glad that there were 8 of us sharing this burger. Jo (Second Helping) did a great job and was able to divide this burger into 8 perfect bite size for use to try! Thank you 🙂 I really liked the Wagyu beef pattie and thought it was very flavoursome and nothing beats melted cheese on top.

Cherry ripe mud cake

Cherry ripe mud cake

Clearly, we didn’t need any more food but… Veda (The Hospitality Window) may have made a comment to the owners that I love my desserts and told them my blog name and soon enough they brought over a huge slice of Cherry Ripe Mud Cake. I was slightly embarrassed but at the same time so glad that I got to try it! It’s super rich, chocolatey to the max with a thick layer of cherry coconut filling.

I had a lovely breakfast here at 8 Days cafe and enjoyed their dishes as well as meeting new bloggers that I haven’t met before 🙂 Would also like to thank 8 Days cafe for inviting me! Mr Bao was quite jealous of all the photos I had posted on Instagram so I think we’ll be coming back soon.

8 Days Cafe on Urbanspoon
Daisy@Nevertoosweet attended this event as a guest of Iron Chef Shellie and 8 Days Cafe.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

29 thoughts on “An Extra Day – 8 Days Cafe

1. liannelow May 4, 2013 at 9:12 am Reply

I too wish we had 8 days in a week! That extra day would be awesome to do anything we wanted for ourselves! heh This place looks so good! Definitely going down on my list! hehe Have a great weekend my dear! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm Reply

Thanks dearie as you know I had an awesome weekend eating way too much BBQ hahaha 😛 but it was totally worth it! I could definitely do with an extra day, I never seem to be able to find enough time to do everything that I want to 😛

2. cheezyk May 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm Reply

Oh wow, the food looks stunning, particularly that burger!

Persian fetta is pretty special … we use Coles brand with our smashes at home. It’s probably not as fancy as most restaurants but it’s still tasty and smooth. 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reply

I’ve had the Coles brand before and that’s pretty good too hehe have you tried Dodoni I’ve had that and really like it too 🙂

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 4, 2013 at 5:32 pm Reply

You can tell just from looking at that cake that it looks like a Cherry Ripe! And I’m with you on the 8 day week. Daisy for PM! 😀

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reply

I wish we could have a petition and demand that we need 8 days a week hahah but too bad I think that will stuff up the number of days we have in a year hehe 😛

4. The Hangry Bitch May 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reply

The croissant french toast is brilliant! must be sooo sinful!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm Reply

I was totally sinful but because we shared it to me it’s justified 😛

5. hotlyspiced May 4, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reply

It’s great you were able to meet up with some bloggers. What a filling looking breakfast. I can see many things here that I would have loved to have ordered. And an 8-day week would wonderful xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:20 pm Reply

Always nice to meet other bloggers 🙂 especially since we have so much in common and to chat about hehe ~ I couldn’t really eat lunch after so much food for breakfast. I would love the 8th day of the week and just bake all day ~

6. viveka May 5, 2013 at 4:37 am Reply

This is a fantastic review … and your photos are so good and appealing . Toasted Glicks bagel would have been my choice and it looks truly the business. Croissant French Toast I would have too.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm Reply

Thank you for your lovely comment 🙂 I think you will really like the Croissant french toast as well maybe you should try making it at home hehe it shouldn’t be too difficult ~

7. The Life of Clare May 5, 2013 at 7:46 am Reply

Yes! I want 8 days in my week, or to only work 4 in our current week. The food looks fabulous! The breakfasts, the wagu burger and the ace really stood out to me.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:22 pm Reply

That sounds like a great plan to work only 4 days a week 🙂 I know someone who does that and I’m always so jealous!!! ~

8. Sarah May 5, 2013 at 12:37 pm Reply

That looks like a fun breakfast! I’m not sure what brand of feta they used, but I really love the Persian Feta from the Yarra Valley Dairy. It’s a bit expensive but sooo good!

Also: have you done bread and butter pudding with croissants? It’s really rich and delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm Reply

Ohhh Yarra Valley Dairy I think I’ve had that before and liked it too do I get it at Coles? 🙂

I haven’t tried but I’ve heard and seen people do it before and you’ve just given me ideas! Will have to try for myself soon! I love bread and butter pudding with a HUGE scoop of vanilla ice-cream!

9. Hannah May 5, 2013 at 1:43 pm Reply

That cherry ripe cheesecake looks awesome, but nowhere near as epic as the dessert I had last night here in California 😉

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm Reply

Ohhh what did you have last night? Stop making me wait to travel back to the US 😦

10. Shanshan Lam (@food_religion) May 5, 2013 at 9:50 pm Reply

I love baked eggs. I always try so hard to not order it because I seem to do that way too often. After looking at those baked eggs though, it just takes me back to square one lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm Reply

Don’t worry 🙂 I try not to order any egg dishes and go for porridge or muesli but you know it never works! NEVER hahaha I always get sucked in to the less healthy stuff 😛 OOPS!

11. milkteaxx May 6, 2013 at 12:02 am Reply

everything looks amazing but id say that about anything with avo! if i had an 8th day id probably work more in the other days haha! i am not a cherry ripe fan but that cake still looks good enough for me to try!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm Reply

Hahaha i don’t get why you work so much! You really need to rest more 🙂 that’s why you get that extra day off because you can still work as much as you do now, earn the same amount but still be able to do what you want hehe ~ The cake was the best!

12. Libby May 6, 2013 at 10:51 am Reply

I, too, enjoy being busy but I’m also the first one to complain about having not enough time during the day and not enough days in a week. I second an eight day week!

There are so many good cafes in Armadale! One of my workmates live there and I’m always telling him to go try some cafes out but his response is either “too broke” or “cbf.” Ugh!

I love Glick’s bagels too and that bagel dish looks delicious. Ditto the croissant French toast – never thought about using croissants to make French toast but I can certainly see how it’d work. Yum!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reply

Hahaha i do the exact same thing, like being busy but still complain that I never have enough time for anything…it’s starting to get a little out of control lately no time to see friends too oopsss will need to change that soon 😛

Yessss so so so many cafes in Armadale! what a shame your colleague doesn’t go even though he lives there! I would be trying out each and every cafe if i was there 😛

Arghhh I’d get more of Glicks bagels if I was closer so annoying that it’s not sold in super markets >_<

13. ironchefshellie May 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm Reply

😀 BBFF your photos are looking great lately!
    I’m like you… incapable of sitting still and relaxing!
    x

14. Ashley May 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm Reply

Omgosh! So much food! I love the look of the Glicks bagel though, that looks especially scrumptious! 🙂

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 10, 2013 at 9:04 am Reply

I wish I was one of the bloggers meeting you and eating at this cafe… 😀 I’m going to try making the bagel – good idea with smoked salmon, avocado, poached egg… can’t wait for the weekend breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

16. msihua (@msihua) May 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reply

I might return just to try that Spanish omelette!

17. […] to the Women’s Weekly or New Ideas that we have here (: When I first saw Miss D’s post on the 8 Days Cafe, there was only one tune that came into my mind. Coincidentally, I told the Ho […]