Amazing Balls – Chocolate Milo Cake

Yesterday was a special day for a very special person ๐Ÿ™‚ It was Shellie AKA Queen of Balls birthday!!! Happy Birthday my lovely blogger friend! I’m not sure if you guys remember but I wrote on my ‘About Me’ page that Shellie was actually one of the people that inspired me to start my blog ๐Ÿ˜€

photo

So happy that we got to celebrate Shellie’s birthday on the exact day, we met up with Ms-Ihua, Zeboy and Mr Bao at Merchant’s Guild for brunch, everything was so delicious especially the pancakes! Will blog about it soon!

IMG_9914

I couldn’t go empty-handed and simply had to bake a cake. A birthday is not complete without a cake! Now as you may know Shellie loves her BALLS ๐Ÿ˜› So I decided to make her a cake with balls ~ After doing some research I decided on Steph’s Chocolate Milo cake with a super thick condense milk buttercream filling topped with balls (Maltesers and Ferrero Rocher).

IMG_9928

This is probably by far one of the prettiest cakes i have made ๐Ÿ™‚ So I’m super happy! But then need to Thank Mr Bao as well because I curdled the ganache and he had to help me fix it ~ If you like chocolate, Milo and Condense Milk this cake is FOR YOU. Hope you’ll like it as much as I do!

IMG_9932

120ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk

Condense Milk filling
150g unsalted butter, soften
350g icing sugar
2/3 cup condense milk

Milo Ganacheย
300ml thickened cream (35% milk fat)
400g dark chocolate
1/2 cup Milo

Garnish
Maltesers
Ferrero Rocher

Method
1) Preheat oven toย 180ยฐC (350ยฐF), spray and line a 20cm round springform cake tin with baking paper.
2) Using an electric mixer or standmixer, cream butter and sugar until light, smooth and pale in colour. Add egg one at a time, beat until incorporated.
3) Combine flour, baking powder and Milo together and sift together. With the mixer on a low-speed gradually add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar.
4) Once combined, gradually add buttermilk until just combined – Do not overmix.
5) Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the top starts to brown, cover loosely with foil.
6) Remove from oven, let cake cool in tin for 10 minutes before placing it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7) To make the condense milk buttercream filling. Using an electric mixer or standmixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, add icing sugar and condense milk and beat for another 3 to 5 minutes until fully incorporated and spreadable.
8) To make Milo ganache, chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a large heat proof bowl. Heat cream in a saucepan until it simmers but not boiling, add the Milo and whisk until well combined.
9) Pour heated cream over the chocolate and set aside for 5 minutes, then whisk until mixture is smooth and glossy. Set aside and let it cool until mixture thickens and is spreadable.
10) To assemble, carefully cut the cooled cake in half and level the top. Spread a generous amount of condensed milk buttercream on one of the cakes and spread evenly. Then cover with the other cake.
11) Cover whole cake with Milo ganache spread until smooth. To garnish smear a little ganache onto the Maltersers and Ferrero Roche.

Notes:
– The original recipe was a three layer cake, but I didn’t feel confident enough to cut my cake into three layers ๐Ÿ™‚
– You could substitute Milo with other chocolate malt powders such as Ovaltine or mixture of milk powder and cacao powder

Credit: Ms-Ihua

Credit: Ms I-Hua

Loved this photo Ms I-Hua look of the cake ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for letting me use it!

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , ,

44 thoughts on “Amazing Balls – Chocolate Milo Cake

1. Iron Chef Shellie April 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm Reply

Thank you So SO SO SO SO much babe!! I can’t believe you thought to put balls on my cake!! I’m still chuckling at it!!! โค โค โค I am eternally grateful! I can't remember someone made me a birthday cake! xoxoxox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm Reply

You are so welcome lovely!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t believe no one has ever made you a birthday cake that’s not possible!! LOL I couldn’t make you a cake without balls ๐Ÿ˜› Will have to outdo myself next year and make even MORE balls for you!!! xox

2. Michelle April 21, 2013 at 12:55 pm Reply

i would love to try this cake! ๐Ÿ˜€ when are you free for a meet up? i would like to meet everybody else. ๐Ÿ™‚ kekekeke

3. andy1076 April 21, 2013 at 1:11 pm Reply

Reblogged this on My story to you.. and commented:
    Oooh this looks so yummy! :O :O

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm Reply

OMG can’t believe you reblogged it Andy ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you! you’re always the most supportive!

• andy1076 April 23, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

How can I not? catchy title and so delicious ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

4. kellysiew April 21, 2013 at 1:24 pm Reply

You and Mr Bao make a good team! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm Reply

I think he’s outdone me and has more skills than me now with making desserts ๐Ÿ™‚ I just bake cakes hahaha and pray to god that they work!

• kellysiew April 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm Reply

Your cakes always work! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cake from you that didn’t look good.

5. Choc Chip Uru April 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm Reply

What a sweet and delish gesture on your part my friend ๐Ÿ˜€

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm Reply

Thanks dearie ๐Ÿ™‚ I always love making cakes for my friends hehe ~

6. Jeno @ Weeknite Meals April 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm Reply

Daisy, the cake looks amazaballs! Can’t wait to read your review about the restaurant, everything looks wonderful!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reply

Thank you Jeno ๐Ÿ™‚ i can’t wait to blog about this place too ~ everything was delish especially the buckwheat pancakes hehe!

7. Ashley April 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm Reply

Wow, so pretty! The cake looks absolutely delicious! All you guys baking makes me want to get back into it!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reply

You should Ash! I know you’re an amazing baker too ๐Ÿ™‚ Baking is the best hehe I wish i could just bake all day and not have to work or do anything else ~

8. viveka April 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm Reply

I just love cakes that has no calories .. and looks the business. This is so terrible good. *smile

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reply

Hahhaha i don’t think this cake has no calories but we can pretend wont hurt will it? ๐Ÿ˜›

9. Tina @ bitemeshowme April 21, 2013 at 7:16 pm Reply

I love ANYTHING that raspberricupcakes make. She is a baking inspiration. Love your take on it. Love the thick layer of condensed milk buttercream in the middle. Happy birthday shellie. I need to be in melb to attend these baking events.. ahahaha xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm Reply

Me too!!! Steph is amazing!! I wish I had half of her talent and be able to everything she blogs about hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ The next time I want to attempt to make is the Twix cake!!! LOL I think the condense milk layer was a little bit too thick but meh never too thick right?

Come back to Melbourne it’ll be so much fun baking and eating with you xox

10. hotlyspiced April 21, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply

That’s a stunning birthday cake and I do love the sound of that indulgent cream in the middle of it. How kind of you to make that for your friend. And to think you say you’re not that good at cooking – disagree xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm Reply

Thanks Charlie ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so glad that the cake turned out so well I was really worried especially when I curdled the ganache but thank gosh it was ok in the end! I always love baking cakes for my friends birthdays hehe and trust me when I saw I can’t cook xox

11. The Hangry Bitch April 21, 2013 at 10:05 pm Reply

This is one brilliant recipe and a very well-made cake! congrats! I love the idea of condensed milk buttercream, but it does sound very sweet! I’d made a milo cake previously, i think this recipe puts mine to shame! lol!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm Reply

Thanks Joanna ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so glad that the cake turned out the way it did! I was so worried and wasn’t sure if the condense milk buttercream was going to be too sweet hehe because I know not everyone has a sweet tooth like mine, but the cake itself isn’t too sweet so it turned out ok phew!!! And I don’t believe your milo cake wasn’t good I bet it was just as delicious xox

12. msihua (@msihua) April 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm Reply

Hahaha you made such a perfect cake for the perfect person ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm Reply

I couldn’t think of any other cake to make Shellie ๐Ÿ™‚ Whatever cake I made it had to have BALLS ๐Ÿ˜›

13. milkteaxx April 21, 2013 at 11:14 pm Reply

this cake is so apt for the queen of balls. i hope u enjoyed the balls thoroughly ๐Ÿ˜›

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm Reply

I think she liked the balls ๐Ÿ™‚ Think i could’ve added more balls too conservative hahaha next time hehe ~

14. leaf (the indolent cook) April 22, 2013 at 12:23 am Reply

This literally looks amazeballs! I could totally go with a big slice right now, craving some malty chocolatey goodness.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm Reply

I think I’m going to remake this cake soon because I want some more of it hehe only had one slice ~ Hope you’ll make the cake soon and like the recipe ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Amy Tong April 22, 2013 at 6:49 am Reply

Sounds like a great lunch with your blogging friends. And this cake is truly gorgeous. You got me sold at the Maltesers and Ferrero Rocher! Both are my favorites chocolate treats and I love Milo as well. Can’t wait to give this cake a try. ๐Ÿ™‚ And I look forward to reading more about those yummy pancakes.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm Reply

I don’t think I’ve met anyone who does like Maltesers and Ferrero Rochers hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ They don’t live on the same planet as me if they don’t like it! Hope you will like this recipe when you make it ~

16. Keren April 22, 2013 at 7:15 am Reply

Gorgeous! That is a stunning looking cake.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 3:33 pm Reply

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so glad we were able to save the curdled ganache hehe ~

17. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm Reply

Well done Daisy! And well done on saving the ganache too-what did you do? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 11:39 pm Reply

Thanks Lorraine ๐Ÿ™‚ we added more hot cream and blitzed it in the food processor hehe ~

18. Gourmet Chick April 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm Reply

What a great birthday cake – looks amazing AND delicious.

19. Cara @ Gourmet Chick April 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm Reply

Stupid question as well – but I’ve just moved my blog to WordPress – which plug in do you use for comments? I like this one as it seems super easy to comment. Thanks and once again – great cake.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 22, 2013 at 11:38 pm Reply

Thanks Cara ๐Ÿ™‚ Are you with WordPress.org or WordPress.com because I’m with WordPress.com and this comment plug-in actually coms with my layout and it automated so I’m sorry not sure that i can help you much ~

20. Hannah April 25, 2013 at 9:00 am Reply

Oh my gosh, too adorable! Milo is hugely associated with my childhood… wish I’d had this for my, say, 12th birthday party! ๐Ÿ˜›

21. Michelle April 25, 2013 at 11:30 am Reply

D:

22. evilnymphstuff April 26, 2013 at 4:19 am Reply

Wow this looks so delicious! I wish I could truly taste it… omg especially that I’m totally in love with chocolate!

23. Linda | The Urban Mrs April 26, 2013 at 6:11 am Reply

Nom nom – I really wish we’re not far apart so I can bake this with you! Scrumptious!

24. Libby April 26, 2013 at 8:50 am Reply

Oh my! As you know, I’m not a huge chocolate fan but I was super impressed when I saw this beauty! And anything with condensed milk is always a winner. Might be one to bake for my colleagues one of these days ๐Ÿ˜€