A Taste of Paris – Boulangerie Bistronomique

It’s funny I never use to have many friends in Hong Kong, because I never studied there and went to a fairly Caucasian-based high school. But then when I got into University, I met more friends including Sasa  best friend and Mr Bao who’s also from HK. And then through blogging I have also met a whole new group of friends 🙂 One of these new friends is Margaret, if you have Instagram you may know her as little_meg_siu_meg.

Screen shot 2013-04-17 at 2.30.55 PM

Margaret has such strong passion towards food, I don’t think there’s any moment in the day when she’s not thinking about food 🙂 I think that’s one of the reasons why we get along so well! She is also one of the most knowledge people I know about food ~ I think it helps when you have a brother who was a chef at Quay and is now working at Noma wow!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Last time I was in HK, Margaret and I met up at Boulangerie Bistronomique one of the new cafes that have opened in the Western District. As the name suggests it is a French cafe specialising in baguette sandwiches and pastries. They also have a few shelves with selling jams, pates and other delicacies. I almost forgot that we were in HK and thought we were back in Melbourne at one of the cafes ~

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Both feeling a bit hungry, we chose the baguette lunch set for $98HKD ($12.25AUD) you got a baguette of your choice, a mini salad and a soup. I really liked the little bamboo boards that they used to serve it on ~

Ham & Cheese Baguette with salad and soup $98HKD ($12.25AUD)

Ham & Cheese Baguette with salad and soup $98HKD ($12.25AUD)

I went for the classic ham and cheese baguette, from the first bite I knew it was a delicious baguette with a good crust but still remained soft with air bubbles inside. Apart from Paris I haven’t been able to find many good baguettes, they’re either too hard or too airy that feels hallow. The ham was thinly sliced and not too salty while the cheese gave the baguette the saltiness it needed. One word YUM! Sometimes I think all we need is a simple good baguette 😀 While the pumpkin soup was very smooth but felt a little diluted and lacked seasoning and the salad was just a mini bowl of rocket and drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Tete de cochon baguette with pig head's terrine and mustard $98HKD($12.25AUD)

Tete de cochon baguette with pig head’s terrine in a set $98HKD($12.25AUD)

Margaret also chose the Tete de cochon baguette, I wasn’t sure what it was but she explained to me that it was a pig head’s terrine with gribiche sauce, pickled pepper and mustard. Even though flavours were good, as she thought “… the thin layer was completely overwhelmed by the egg salad and gribiche sauce”. A bit of a shame because it looked and smelt wonderful but once again she loved the texture of the baguette which is a win ~

Margaret's secret salt containers

Margaret’s secret salt containers

And just before Margaret had her soup, she opened her bag to get these two little cute salt containers from her purse. If you know Margaret you will know her love for salt, she collects them by the bottle and  always has at least two types of salt in her purse, that day she at Maldon sea salt flakes and a finer table salt 😀 Now I want one of these salt containers!

Pastries and Cakes

Pastries and Cakes

Time for pastries and cakes 🙂 They had a good selection in their cabinet ranging from tarts to mini cakes to eclairs. But I was meeting up with my family afterwards…so couldn’t go too crazy so we got one dessert each ~

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Starting with the Paris Brest, another uncommon pastry, haven’t seen it in many places in Melbourne so was surprise to see it in HK. For those who are unfamiliar a Paris Brest is made out of a choux pastry the same as eclairs, piped into a circle like a donut and filled with a praline cream and topped with crushed nuts and icing sugar.

Paris Brest $45HKD ($5.6AUD)

Paris Brest $45HKD ($5.6AUD)

I was quite impressed with the choux pastry as it was very light with a good crispy texture on the outside ~ while the praline cream was sweet with a nutty flavour. I also liked the crunchiness from the crushed nuts. Now I just wished more cafes would start making these Paris Brests 😀

Mille Feuille $45HKD($5.62AUD)

Mille Feuille $45HKD($5.62AUD)

We also ordered the Mille Feuille, it looked magnificent with the flakey layers of puff pastries and the little black specks in the creme patisserie . Unfortunately, this mille feuille was a bit of a disappointment, the puff pastry was not at all flakey, it even felt a little soggy. While the creme patisserie was smooth and lovely, but then the white icing paste of top had a very strong nearly bitter taste. It’s such a shame as we enjoyed the other dishes and I had such high expectations of their pastries.

I think Boulagerie Bistronimique is a great place for HK people to visit if they want a taste of Paris and if they need a break because we all know how busy and fast-pasted HK can be. It’s located in a quiet area and offers fresh and delicious lunches, even though some of their pastries and cakes can be a hit or miss, I really enjoyed their baguettes and Paris Brest. Next time I go I’m definitely going to try their eclairs and mini tarts 🙂

Boulangerie Bistronomique
Shop 1A, G/F, 1 Davis Street,
Kennedy Town, Western District
西環堅尼地城爹核士街1號地下1A號舖
PH: +852 2872 0811

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

21 thoughts on “A Taste of Paris – Boulangerie Bistronomique

1. viveka April 19, 2013 at 1:54 am Reply

Fantastic photos as always – Ham & Cheese Baguette is always my standard breakfast where ever I’m in France …. simple and always great where ever it’s eaten. Beautiful post.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm Reply

Thank you dearie 🙂 definitely a classic and standard for me too when I go to Paris it’s so hard to find good ones in Melbourne though which is a shame >_<

• viveka April 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm Reply

Only the French can bake proper baguettes – same with the croissants. I think that is the main reason why it doesn’t taste the same. Have a pleasant weekend now.

2. andy1076 April 19, 2013 at 2:11 am Reply

Oohhh they all look so good! 🙂

3. Hannah April 19, 2013 at 3:31 am Reply

I need to start walking around with a secret peanut butter container.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm Reply

Hahaha you should I want to start carrying bags of sugary type things such as caster sugar, icing sugar, brown sugar honey and maple syrup hahha

4. Choc Chip Uru April 19, 2013 at 5:28 am Reply

Your photos are gorgeous and I need to visit this place… soon… now 😉

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2013 at 2:31 pm Reply

Thanks Uru 🙂 I definitely liked it here hoping to return next time hehe

5. Keren April 19, 2013 at 6:32 am Reply

Ooooh, I’ll be sure to remember to try a Paris Brest if I ever come across one! That lunch spread looks nice too … not too big or heavy which is nice.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm Reply

Definitely good lunch 🙂 I can’t do really big and heavy lunches so this one was perfect hehe ~ hope you find a Paris Brest to try soon!

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme April 19, 2013 at 7:59 am Reply

oh me oh my. Everything looks fabulous. I’m a sucker for a good baguette, and wow, from first glance I was already excited!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 19, 2013 at 11:59 am Reply

me too especially since it’s so hard to get good baguettes in melbourne 🙂 just wished we had a cafe like this here hehe

7. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) April 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm Reply

I have been in this place in Kennedy town lots of great little sauces and treats you can’t find other places. I actually had them make to lunch pack to go and had a picnic in the kennedy town park/playground right around the corner from there.

8. libishski April 19, 2013 at 7:32 pm Reply

Mmmm baguettes! I’ve never seen a Paris Brest in Melbourne either but damn, they look so delicious! Wonder if they’re easy to make…

9. jac April 19, 2013 at 8:47 pm Reply

I love that little salt container!!

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 19, 2013 at 11:57 pm Reply

Mmm I know what you mean about baguettes in Paris! They’ve got that perfect crunch to them! 😀 I love Paris Brest too!

11. milkteaxx April 20, 2013 at 10:22 am Reply

im still struggling to find a nice baguette in sydney, will defs try find some when im next in hk! and that salt container is amazingly cute! i love her posts on my instagram!

12. hotlyspiced April 20, 2013 at 8:54 pm Reply

I love those Maldon salt containers. And how amazing to have a brother who was a chef at Quay! That’s super impressive xx

13. winstonthehungryexcavator April 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm Reply

Hong Kong is such a melting pot of local and international cuisines, I love it! I feel like you can get the real deal of any kind of food there, and French patisseries is no exception. Sounds like a nice meetup and eating sesh. You go, HK gal!

14. ironchefshellie April 23, 2013 at 4:38 pm Reply

I want little salt containers! … and a trip to here!!