Mussels Expert – Léon de Bruxelles

When I was growing up, I couldn’t tell the difference between mussels and oysters 😛 I knew they tasted different and had a different texture, but somehow, I’d always call ‘oysters’ mussels and vice versa. It wasn’t until I was about 10 years old, when I finally got them right!

Léon de Bruxelles

Léon de Bruxelles

Win Win has always been a fan of seafood and has always raved on about the seafood in France and how it’s so delicious. She’s recommended Léon de Bruxelles a Belgian restaurant which specialises in Mussels 🙂 I later found out that they’re a chain restaurant and have over 61 restaurants across France, so you shouldn’t have trouble finding one near you ~

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Prices were also quite reasonable as you can see, you can get a three course meal for only €17.60 so about $22.65AUD ~ that’s quite cheap considering it’s generally more expensive when ordering seafood dishes in Melbourne.

Retro interior ~

Retro interior ~

Léon de Bruxelles has been around in Paris for a long time where the first store opened in 1989, you can  tell it was established in the 80s with the retro interior with a brown and green theme. We’ve had some issues communicating with our very limited French hahaha so we were relieved when the friendly waitress could speak English.

Complimentary Pretzels

Complimentary Pretzels

She gave us the menu and also placed a small bowl of pretzels in front of us ~ I thought pretzels were a Germany speciality, so found it slightly strange 🙂 Funny enough Anonymous Sis absolutely hates  pretzels, she wont even try putting one in her mouth lol I’m not sure why she hates them so much and I bet she’s forgotten why she hates them 😛

Small Goat Cheese salad part of menu set

Small Goat Cheese salad part of set menu  €21 ($26.85AUD)

We got two set menus to share between the three of us, which all include a starter, main and dessert 🙂 Starting with the small goat cheese salad, was fresh but the goats cheese was very pungent and a bit too much for us. So we left most of it on the plate >_<

Cheese Croquette Salad part of set menu €21($28.86AUD)

Shrimp Croquette Salad part of set menu €21($28.86AUD)

While the shrimp croquette salad was much nicer, it had an extremely light batter, crispy yet not greasy delicious 🙂 Too bad there were only two pieces hehe wanted more of of these croquettes!

Seafood Style Mussels €21($28.86AUD)

Seafood Style Mussels part of set menu  €21($28.86AUD)

There were a lot of options for our main dishes, the obvious were mussels in various styles, steak, roast chicken and even salmon steaks 🙂 Win Win chose the Seafood Style Mussels as that was the one she always gets and loves the sauce. I was really impressed when the waitress placed the mussels on our table, it was such a large serving for €21! Definitely more than enough for the 3 of us ~ It smelt so good the salty smell from the mussels and the prawns! I now understand why Win Win loves the sauce so much it was like a rich white wine sauce infused with garlic! The mussels were also quite big, I rather eat mussels that are so fat and juicy in Melbourne 😀

Freshly cut baguette

Freshly cut baguette

Thank gosh for the baguette we were able to use it to soak up all that delicious sauce 🙂

Sirloin Steak 220grams part of set lunch €21($28.86AUD)

Sirloin Steak 220grams part of set lunch €21($28.86AUD)

Don’t know why Win Win also wanted to try the steak, lol I thought she only wanted seafood…it’s been 2 years since she was pregnant but I swear she still has food cravings like a pregnant lady 😛 Disappointingly this steak was very overcooked and even though it had a nice wood fire flavour, it had a very tough texture and rather chewy. There were unlimited refills on chips and though they were crispy it was very bland like it wasn’t salted at all.

Waffle with chocolate sauce Sirloin Steak 220grams part of set lunch part of set menu €21($28.86AUD)

Waffle with chocolate sauce part of set menu €21($28.86AUD)

We were at a Belgian restaurant after all, couldn’t leave without ordering some waffles! The waffle was freshly made, super hot and so light, not at all doughy 🙂 Went perfectly with the dark rich chocolate sauce, I think it just needed some vanilla ice-cream and then it would have been perfect!

Crème brûlée

Crème brûlée part of set menu €21($28.86AUD)

I then chose the Crème brûlée to celebrate the fact that I was in Paris hahaha I needed a French dessert to end this wonderful meal. I love that ‘cracking’ sound it makes when the spoon cracks the brulee topping which was deliciate and not too thick. While the custard was smooth, eggy with a delicious vanilla flavour YUM!

We were so happy with the mussels we actually went back a couple of days later for a second round of mussels 😀 Léon de Bruxelles is definitely an affordable and convenient restaurant to have a decent seafood meal when you’re in Paris, I’d suggest sticking to ordering seafood and avoid the other meat dishes ~

Léon de Bruxelles
Porte Maillot
95 Bd Gouivion Saint Cyr
75017 Paris
PH: 01 55 37 95 30

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

26 thoughts on “Mussels Expert – Léon de Bruxelles

1. Choc Chip Uru March 1, 2013 at 3:38 pm Reply

I think I’m in love with this delicious looking dessert menu 🙂
    Yum got to love French food!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 1, 2013 at 10:15 pm Reply

It sounds like the mussels were definitely the pick over the steak! Oh and the desserts too! 😛

3. Linda | theurbanmrs March 2, 2013 at 10:16 am Reply

Yum! Everything looks so yummy, especially those shrimp croquettes and waffle. I’m in love already!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:24 pm Reply

It was such a fantastic meal! Just wished we had a similar restaurant here in Melbourne, because seafood is generally more expensive 😦

4. hotlyspiced March 2, 2013 at 11:00 am Reply

It’s great you were able to find something affordable in Paris. What a shame about the steak but the waffle looks really yummy – I agree though, it needs ice cream! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm Reply

Definitely good to find an affordable restaurant in Paris which was also delicious 🙂 I always like ice-cream on waffles hehe xox

5. libishski March 2, 2013 at 1:29 pm Reply

Haha when I was younger, I chucked mussels and oysters all into the ‘weird gross things in shells that I’d never want to eat’ category. These days? I love them – but oysters more so than mussels haha!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm Reply

Hhahaha it’s funny how our taste buds change over time! I use to hate Zuchhinis now I don’t mind them ~ Never liked Egg plant but it’s acceptable now hahaha I never use to like oysters but find them quite good now but I think I like mussels more 🙂

6. gourmetgetaway March 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm Reply

Wow!! That really is an affordable tasty meal, and so much seafood!! Love the creme brulee too… YUM! No wonder you returned 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm Reply

I think we would have gone even more if we had more time in Paris 🙂 It was just really delicious and affordable ~ Can’t wait for the chance to go back again hehe!

7. msihua (@msihua) March 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm Reply

Hahaha I could always tell the difference as I dislike mussels. I”ve only recently grown to like them!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:28 pm Reply

Hahahha I never use to like oysters only starting to accept them…actually I think I like them now 😛 had 1.5 dozens alone last time I was in Tassie 😛

8. Hannah March 3, 2013 at 10:05 am Reply

One of the weird times when I want the savouries more than the dessert! Those mussels sound so gooood!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 5, 2013 at 8:58 am Reply

LOL I know what you mean because even though the desserts were good, I really liked the mussels a tiny bit more 😛

9. Norma Chang March 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm Reply

I surely would love to try those mussels. Too bad about the steak, but am glad the other items made up for it.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 5, 2013 at 9:13 am Reply

It definitely was a shame about the steak being a bit dry but the mussels was so good it was still worth coming ~

10. Tina @ bitemeshowme March 4, 2013 at 8:49 am Reply

hahaha i couldn’t tell the difference when I was younger either. And I kept getting confused as to which was which! I really enjoy mussels, but when they’re cooked right. Sounds like it was cooked really well! MMMMMMMMMMmmm I’m hungry!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 5, 2013 at 9:25 am Reply

Phewww so glad I’m not the only one who had issues telling these two little shell creatures apart hehe ~ agreed mussels can be great only if its cooked well!!!

11. Julie March 4, 2013 at 4:39 pm Reply

creme brulee *crack* *crack my fav part! oh man i really want mussels right now 😦 hungry

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 5, 2013 at 10:00 am Reply

Definitely my favourite part is cracking it too ~ hard to find good mussels in Melb I think 😦

12. Peach March 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm Reply

Pretzels! Goats Cheese! Creme Brulee…. #jealous #envy.
    I’m glad you had fun in Paris. I now know why you want to move there ;P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 5, 2013 at 10:00 am Reply

Hahahaha yup it’s hard to find reasons not to move there 😛 it’s basically a foodies heaven lol

13. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 8, 2013 at 5:25 am Reply

I’m not particularly a big fan of mussels, yet this place sounds like a great place that I won’t miss a chance to eat them. Oh that Crème brûlée looks so good! Definitely 2nd visit is worth it. 😉

14. Ashley March 12, 2013 at 10:56 am Reply

Man, such an affordable meal! The waffle looks like it is to die for as well! Yuummmm 🙂