Just Steak and Fries – Le Relais de L’Entrecote

Paris is definitely one of the most romantic cities and one of my favourite! I was seriously the happiest girl on earth as soon as we landed in Charles De Gaulle airport hehe 😀

Me at Arc de Triomphe

Me at Arc de Triomphe

I have so many stories and places I’d love to share with you guys! But first I’d like to share a few photos that I took this time which I really like ~

Eiffel Tower

Eiffel Tower at Night

Last time I went to Paris, I was a little younger and I don’t think I appreciated the architecture as much ~ But I remember going up the Eiffel Tower and how pretty I was to look at the city from above. We didn’t go up this time because queues were seriously crazy especially with only one elevator working. The iconic Eiffel Tower is still stunning and looks even better at night when it’s sparkles and shines 😀

Basilique du Sacré-Cœur

Basilique du Sacré-Cœur

Win Win took this picture and I love it! It’s Basilique du Sacré-Cœur a Roman Catholic Church at the highest point in the city ~ It not is this church amazing, it also provides a magnificent view of the rest of Paris 🙂 This time we went Sacré-Cœur was covered in snow, which was quite different from last time when we went.

sd

Source: Paris Must See

Anyhow, do you remember Burger and Lobster in London and how they only had 3 items on their menu? Here at Le Relais de L’Entrecote there’s only ONE ITEM on the menu and that’s Steak and Fries! Yup that’s it! Nothing else! They have an extensive dessert menu but other than that you’re not going to get any savoury dishes 😀

Ignorantly, I haven’t heard of Le Relais de L’Entrecote before coming to Paris nor did I know it was so famous 😛 but Win Win had visited Paris so many times and have tried Le Relais de L’Entrecote and she said it’s definitely ‘blogworthy’ so I took her word 🙂 We tried going on the second night we were in Paris, but at 8pm…lines were still crazy and being -6 degrees Celsius we didn’t want to wait so went else where. The next day I made sure we got there just before 6pm…then realised they don’t open till 7pm *FAIL* We didn’t know what to do or where to go so we ended up standing outside in the cold for nearly an hour hahaha I was worried that this wasn’t worth it 😛

Eventually, the hour past and we were finally let inside to this tiny restaurants with tables back to back, it was rather cramped and to be honest, not the most comfortable. But staff were friendly with huge smiles on their faces. Win Win warned Anonymous Sister and I again lol “Don’t bother asking for a menu! There’s only steak and fries you just tell them how you want the steak cooked” hahaha The friendly waitress immediately asked how we would like the steak cooked. I replied “medium rare”, she shook her head and said in her thick French accent “No no no here Rare, Medium or Well done no Medium Rare”. Wow…super strict 😛 So I just stuck with medium ~

Complimentary walnut salad

Complimentary walnut salad

Nearly instantly, another waitress popped down three plates of walnut salad in front of us, which consisted of greens with a mustard vinaigrette topped with chopped walnuts. Great starter as it was tangy and crunchy ~ would love to have that vinaigrette on my salads again.

Complimentary Baguette

Complimentary Baguette

Service was super efficient here, once we finished our salads, the plates were immediately taken from our tables and plate full of freshly cute baguettes were placed in the middle of our table. Turns out the steak and fries was €27EUR ($35AUD) and the rest were complimentary 🙂

Plating the steaks and fries

Plating the steaks and fries

I realised there was a small table right next to ours with little racks with candles underneath it, then a waitress came over and places a large plate of fries on top of one of the racks and steaks on the other and began plating them for us.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m not sure how the waitresses divided the steaks because Anonymous Sis wanted her steak well done, and they seemed to come from the same plate of steaks 😛

I realised that they only gave us 4 to 5 slices of steak and we were all entitled to another serving, once we finished our first serving and unlimited refills for fries. Which I thought was actually quite reasonably priced for only €27EUR!

Steak with Café de Paris sauce and fries €27EUR ($35AUD)

It’s such a simple dish, perfectly grilled steak with this delicious butter sauce, which I later found out was called Café de Paris sauce or otherwise known as Paris butter. It’s a known to be a complex butter sauce and made from various ingredients such as chicken livers, fresh thyme, thyme flowers, full cream, white Dijon mustard, butter, water, salt and pepper. After being made the sauce is a yellowish brown colour, but when it melts on the hot plate its served on, it turns a pea-soup green colour 🙂

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The Café de Paris sauce is quite unique, its has an extremely strong butter flavour as you would expect, you can also take the Dijon and and salt but I couldn’t pick up the chicken liver used ~ Either way it’s very delicious and addictive, we were definitely compelled to use the baguette to mop up any sauce left on our plates.

Chocolate Profiteroles with ice-cream filling €14

Chocolate Profiteroles with ice-cream filling €14EUR ($18AUD)

Thank gosh they had an extensive dessert menu and as soon as you walked in you were welcomed by a dessert trolley, sorry I didn’t take a picture of it ~ The lovely waitress recommended their most popular dessert the chocolate profiteroles with an vanilla ice-cream filling topped with chocolate sauce and flaked almonds. I could see why it was their popular desserts, it was delectable! The profiteroles still had a slight crispiness to it and when biting into it vanilla ice-cream will gently ooze out. While the chocolate sauce was not overly sweet and made from dark chocolate which complimented it very well. Highly recommend you ordering this if you go to Le Relais de L’Entrecote!

Tarte au Citron

Tarte au Citron €9EUR($11.60AUD)

Anonymous Sis wanted to only get one dessert, she obviously got shot down by multiple death stares from me 😛 I then chose a rather light and refreshing dessert, Tarte au Citron or better known as Lemon Tarts in the English speaking world ~ The lemon filling was really running and appeared more like a lemon curd in a sweet short crust pastry case. Even though it was different to what I expected it was still lovely!

I have never had a dining experience like I did at Le Relais de L’Entrecote 🙂 Where there’s only one item on the menu! But I really enjoyed the steak and that addictive  Café de Paris sauce, I found a very similar recipe in Valli Little’s cookbook so I can’t wait to try making it at home ourselves ~ I definitely would recommend you going trying out Le Relais de L’Entrecote if you’re in Paris, just get there early to avoid long queues, don’t ask for a menu and remember to ALWAYS order dessert 😀

Le Relais de L’Entrecote
271 Boulevard Pereire
75017 Paris, France
PH:+33 1 45 74 27 97

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “Just Steak and Fries – Le Relais de L’Entrecote

1. libishski February 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reply

I’ve been looking forward to this particular post for ages, hooray!

I would really love to visit Paris one day. I’m not a self-confessed Francophile but there is just something about this beautiful city that draws me in. If that little chocolate-y treat you got me (thank you again!) was just as good as everything else you can find in Paris, then I know I will have a wonderful time there 🙂

I did find it strange that you weren’t allowed to have your steak done medium-rare, especially since that’s what lots (most, even) people like their steaks?!?!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm Reply

Sorry took so long to blog about this hehe 🙂 My back log is super crazy and I just blog whatever I feel like and not chronologically ~ my bad!

I really hope you find time to go to Paris soon ~ it really is a magical city and EVERYTHING there tastes simply better!

Yeah I found it strange too the waitress was so adamant only ‘rare’ or ‘medium’ lol

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm Reply

Daisy, you’re making me so hungry with this post! But no medium rare steak? I’ve never encountered that before 😮

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm Reply

Sorry for making you hungry Lorraine 😛 But the steak was so delicious hehe! I’ve never heard of it either but the lady said ‘nope just rare or medium lol’

3. winstonthehungryexcavator February 16, 2013 at 10:40 pm Reply

Omggg I love the food here so much!! My kinda food seriously. What a great place to eat in thanks for sharing this with us. Must’ve been such an unforgettable trip. Looking forward to the next one from your travels =)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reply

Thanks Wince for such an encouraging comment 🙂 You’re always so kind! I think you would’ve loved this place too simple and delicious that’s your style!!!

4. hotlyspiced February 16, 2013 at 10:50 pm Reply

I’m so envious. I’ve never been to Paris and I’ve always wanted to go. Your photo of the Eiffel Tower is stunning. I’ve never seen it that golden. It’s a shame the queues were so long xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm Reply

I forgot that the Eiffel Tower lights up at night too hehe ~ it’s really stunning! I really don’t like places with long queues but maybe just maybe this place was worth it hahaha

5. The Life of Clare February 17, 2013 at 7:42 am Reply

What a fantastic restaurant! I regret not spending more time in Paris, but it’s a great excuse to go back there!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm Reply

I don’t think we can ever spend enough time in Paris 😀 I can’t wait to go back too hehe ~

6. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) February 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm Reply

Oh I love Paris, I have been in Summer and Winter but I have never seen snow on the Sacré-Cœur, it look just magic, and the Eiffel Tower is beautiful!

I would have loved to try the desserts at the restaraurant. French pastry is so beautful and buttery 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm Reply

Desserts and patisseries in Paris is simply magnificent 🙂 Just thinking about it makes me want to go back again hehe ~

It’s the first time I’ve seen snow on the Sacré-Cœur too it was so pretty hehe I’ve never been to Paris during Summer, I would love to though!

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme February 18, 2013 at 8:56 am Reply

Arc De Triomphe.. Eiffle Tower.. Oh daisy you’re making me miss Paris oh so much!! It looks like you had a wonerful time there. x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm Reply

I had such a good time sighh I want to go back again hahaha 😀 I don’t think we can ever spend enough time in Paris! xox

8. Hannah February 18, 2013 at 11:42 am Reply

Ohhhh I miss Paris!!

9. milkteaxx February 18, 2013 at 1:34 pm Reply

never knew such a simple meal could be so amazing! and i like death staring people who either want to share or dont want dessert at all!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm Reply

Hahhaaha yup I know right most of the time it works 🙂 And even if they don’t want dessert I still order it tough luck 😛

10. Christine (@cookingcrusade) February 19, 2013 at 10:29 am Reply

Oh Daisy you lucky thing! I was soo jelly over all your amazing IG pics. I have been dying to go to Paris for years ever since doing French in year 7.. Your steak looks perfectly cooked and omg so yum with the Paris butter and fries. And that dessert looks soo chocolatey good too! Yummmm!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply

Sorry for the late reply 🙂 i really liked the steak here ~ it was so delicious and that sauce oh gosh I don’t want to think of the calories associated with it LOL so buttery!

11. thehungerpangs February 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm Reply

I already love Paris and I haven’t even been! Absolutely itching to go now that I’ve seen those profiteroles! And the steak! And unlimited fries?! Say what now?! So awesome.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:38 pm Reply

I hope you get to go to Paris soon 🙂 it’s seriously one of the most magical cities in the world 🙂 LOVE it so much!

12. msihua (@msihua) March 2, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reply

So jealous! We did think of popping over here to visit on our honeymoon but stuck with Spain!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reply

Doesn’t matter 🙂 always next time and gosh your pics on Instagram! Think you had an AMAZING time in Spain anyway ~