Wishing You A Very – Happy New Year

Happy New Year!

Source: Anonymous Sister no idea where she got it ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish you all a wonderful start to the New Year and may this year be bigger, better and brighter than 2012 ๐Ÿ™‚

How did you celebrate New Years Eve? ~ This year I decided to go low key for a few reasons ๐Ÿ™‚ one being we had a huge Christmas party and I’think I burned out a little, and another reason is because Mr Bao is in Melbourne by himself I felt bad going out to a huge party without him ~ And finally it’s because I hate ‘CROWDS’, they give me a huge headache ๐Ÿ˜€

That’s why I decided to just have a quiet celebration with my best friend Sasa and Little Luk ~ It’s so strange but Sasa and I haven’t really spoken since May when I went back to Melbourne but as soon as we see each other, we just talk none stop just like olds times. I think that’s the perfect example of a real friend ~ you may not see or talk to each other much but it doesn’t mean you drift apart ๐Ÿ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I suggested Thai food as most people go for the more extravagant fine dining or buffets. I called a few places in Kowloon City and eventually booked a table at Cambo Thai Restaurant.ย We arrived at around 7:30pm and already it was quite packed ~ Definitely surprised me because I honestly thought people will choose other cuisines over Thai hahaha

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I have also heard of Cambo Thai restaurant before and know that they are quite famous and well-known to Hong Kongers. Many celebretities from Hong Kong, Taiwan and China have visited and written their signature on the walls ๐Ÿ™‚ This is a common practice in HK so tip number 1, if you see a restaurant with lots of signatures its safe to say that they are popular and probably wont disappoint you ~

Camb3o1

*Cough Cough* not pointing my finger any anyone but *Cough Cough* Little Luk was late! LOL He was precisely 45 minutes late, so by the time he arrived we were starving, so we started off with a mixed plate of satays.

Mixed Satay - Chicken, Pork and Beef $58HK ($7.25AUD)

Mixed Satay – Chicken, Pork and Beef $58HKD ($7.25AUD)

Cambo is definitely not fine dining and does not plate any of their food ๐Ÿ™‚ The satays came on white plate with a side of peanut sauce. The satays were well marinated and we really liked the peanut sauce which was sweet and slightly spicy. However, they weren’t very ‘hot’ and only ‘luke’ warm, I would’ve liked them more if they were piping hot ~

Fried Curry Crab Small $150HKD ($18.75AUD)

Fried Curry Crab Small $150HKD ($18.75AUD)

I immediately requested that we get the Curry Crab ๐Ÿ™‚ Which had actually wont the Top 50 dishes to eat in 2008 in an article in Time Out Hong Kong ~ Even though the crabs were a little small but they still had quite a lot of meat. Iย am addicted to the curry, eggy and spicy sauce! This was soooooo delicious!ย Damn I forgot to take a photo of the garlic bread we ordered to scoop up all the remaining curry sauce ๐Ÿ˜€

Green Curry with Prawn $65HKD ($13AUD)

Green Curry with Prawn $65HKD ($8.10AUD)

We then go the Green Curry with prawns, we didn’t know that there was the option to get chicken or pork ~ The flavours of this green curry was great and could tell that it was authentic as you could see all the fresh herbs they used. However, the sauce was as little watery and I usually like my curry sauce a little thicker ๐Ÿ™‚ But I’m not really sure which ones more authentic hehe

Baked rice with seafood in young coconut $68HKD ($8.5AUD)

Baked rice with seafood in young coconut $68HKD ($8.5AUD)

Sasa recommended the Baked rice with seafood in a coconut ๐Ÿ™‚ Like my fellow blogger friend Gem (Cupcake Crazy Gem) I love anything with coconut, whether savoury or sweet. I was so impressed when the waiter brought this to our table, it smelt so good!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe juice in the young coconut had been emptied and this delicious rice cooked with coconut and pieces of seafood and coconut flesh was filled to the brim. This was such a generous serving and could have easily fed 5 or 6 people ๐Ÿ™‚ I am totally in love with this and kept scrapping the coconut to get more flesh!

Sago pudding with coconut and taro filling $12HKD ($1.5AUD)

Sago pudding with coconut and taro filling $12HKD ($1.5AUD)

Can’t leave without dessert ๐Ÿ™‚ I really wanted the mango with sticky rice ~ But we were so full. So we decided to get these little sago puddings with coconut and a taro filling inside.

Coconut pudding

I don’t think I’ve had these before but really liked them they were soft, moist and yum! I think I can eat a whole plate by myself hehe ~

We all enjoyed dinner at Cambo and thought it was very reasonably priced! It was only $130HKD per head which is an equivalent of about $16AUD for all the food we had ๐Ÿ™‚ Flavours were good and service was attention ~ Will definitely recommend you coming for a cheap, quick and delicious Thai fix.

Cambo Thai Restaurant
G/F, 15 Nga Tsin Long Road,
Kowloon City, Hong Kong
ไน้พๅŸŽ่ก™ๅ‰ๅกฑ้“15่™Ÿๅœฐไธ‹
PH: +852ย 2716 7318

"Piggy Hug" Cocktail - Vodka, Grand Marnier and Pineapple Juice $90HKD ($11.25AUD)

“Piggy Hug” Cocktail – Vodka, Grand Marnier and Pineapple Juice $90HKD ($11.25AUD)

After dinner, Little Luk had to meet up with other friends so Sasa and I headed off to the Langham Place Hotel in Mongkok and grabbed drinks and more desserts to celebrate the last hour of 2012 and obviously the count down.ย I ordered the ‘Piggy Hug’ cocktail ๐Ÿ™‚ I ordered purely because the name was super cute hehe not sure why they named it this. It was a cocktail with vodka, grand marnier and pineapple juice, it wasn’t too strong and even though it had some bitterness the sweetness from the pineapple juice balanced it all out.

Apple Crumble with vanilla ice-cream and maple syrup $88HKD ($11AUD)

Apple Crumble with vanilla ice-cream and maple syrup $88HKD ($11AUD)

I simply HAD to end 2012 on a very sweet note ๐Ÿ˜€ Boo they only had two desserts on their menu, the apple crumble and the tiramisu. We went for the apple crumble which was served warm with vanilla ice-cream on the side that had maple syrup drizzled over it. Quite nice with bite-size apple pieces on the bottom and with a crumble topping and when paired with vanilla ice-cream super delicious. Even though I know some people will find it a little sweet especially with the addition of maple syrup ๐Ÿ™‚

Portal Work & Play
5/F, Langham Place Hotel Hong Kong,
555 Shanghai Street, Mong Kok
ๆ—บ่ง’ไธŠๆตท่ก—555่™Ÿๆœ—่ฑช้…’ๅบ—5ๆจ“
PH: +852ย 3552 3232

Time for some reflections last year 2012 was a big year:Mr Bao then called just 5 minutes before mid-night (3am Melb Time) and we chatted and did the count down together ๐Ÿ™‚ So that’s my low key New Years Eve and how I celebrated it with my close friends ~

– Mr Bao and I moved in together
– Started my first full-time job
– Met so many amazing people through blogging
– Got a new blog design (FINALLY!)
– Got to travel to New York

Now I can’t wait to see what 2013 has in store for me ๐Ÿ™‚ In the new year, I wish for good health because that really is the most important and secondly for us all to be happy.I hope you had a lovely day with family and friends andย may our days always be filled with laughter, happiness and DELICIOUS FOOD especially sweet ones!

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

34 thoughts on “Wishing You A Very – Happy New Year

1. Norma Chang January 2, 2013 at 2:34 am Reply

Happy New Year to you too and may all your wishes come true.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:04 am Reply

Happy New Year Norma ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for your wishes and thank you for your support!

2. The Life of Clare January 2, 2013 at 7:58 am Reply

Happy new year to you! It looks like you had a fabulous evening, with delicious food! That’s how I would have loved to spend my evening!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:07 am Reply

Happy New Year Clare ๐Ÿ™‚ It was an amazing night thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you had a great night with your partner too xx

3. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals January 2, 2013 at 8:03 am Reply

Happy New Year Daisy, looking forward to see more from you in year 2013!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:10 am Reply

Thank you Jeno ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you had a great day with your family too and may your wishes come true in 2013! xox

4. Candice January 2, 2013 at 9:42 am Reply

Happy New Year Daisy. Look forward to reading more of your blog in 2013!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:14 am Reply

Thank you for your support Candice ๐Ÿ™‚ And hope you have a VERY happy new year too ~ xox

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme January 2, 2013 at 10:33 am Reply

Happy New Year, Daisy. Looks like your eating adventures have already begun! ๐Ÿ˜‰ xx

6. Ames January 2, 2013 at 10:58 am Reply

I’m not a big fan of crowds either so our NYE was quite low-key too ๐Ÿ™‚ Those sago look really interesting and cute – I’d definitely hunt them down when next in HK ๐Ÿ˜‰ Happy new year, dear and looking forward to the many food adventures to come!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:16 am Reply

Thank you lovely ๐Ÿ™‚ Same here crowds just give me a huge headache hehe so was glad to have a low key New Years hehe yay! Definitely put them on your list next time ~

7. hotlyspiced January 2, 2013 at 11:22 am Reply

I love the new blog design. I can’t believe someone was 45 minutes late – you are very patient, Daisy. The food at the restaurant seems very inexpensive. We went to a restaurant last night that cost $550 for four of us (it certainly wasn’t my choice!) And for all that, I didn’t even get a dessert – none of us did. I should have had dinner with you! xx

• GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) January 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reply

Wow! $500 and no dessert!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:20 am Reply

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Thank you Charlie ๐Ÿ™‚ i’m so glad I finally got a new design my blog really needed one hehe ~ oh gosh $550 with no dessert! did you get a lot of drinks? Did you enjoy it? ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh gosh >_< Doesn't matter at least you had a good time xox

8. Hannah January 2, 2013 at 11:25 am Reply

Happy New Year! I had a quiet night in too ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Nic@diningwithastud January 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm Reply

Happy New Year ๐Ÿ˜€ all the best for 2013!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:43 am Reply

Thank you Nic ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have an amazing new year too ๐Ÿ™‚

10. milkteaxx January 2, 2013 at 5:56 pm Reply

looks like u had a low key but very yummy NYE! happy new year again!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 1:53 am Reply

It was definitely yummy hehe I love Thai food ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have an amazing year!

11. libishski January 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reply

Happy New Year, Daisy! My NYE was low-key compared to most years. Marty and I had Japanese at our favourite Japanese place on the Gold Coast, then went to the Broadwater to check out the festival they were having there. We watched the 9pm fireworks, which weren’t as extravagant as the ones in Melbourne and Sydney but better because of the view and the fact that there was less of a crowd (most people headed to tourist hot spots such as Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise). Then we drove around and went home just after 10pm and watched movies in bed for the rest of the night HAHA.

I LOLed at the name of the restaurant (Cambo Thai? Heeeeh) but yes, AUD$16 is ridiculously cheap for all the food you got! You’d only be able to buy one dish in Melbourne for that price!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 2:08 am Reply

Happy New year again Libby and Marty ๐Ÿ™‚ It seems like you had a low-kew NYE too ~ but I think it’s good to be able to just chill with close friends and family sometimes hehe I think I’m showing my age that I’m over the partying hahahaha

Nahhhh Ricky said the fireworks weren’t that great this year in Melbourne and like you said less people! LOL too many people and it hurts my head ๐Ÿ˜›

LOL The restaurant is called Cambo Thai cuz the owner was born in Cambodia but likes Thai food that’s why hahaha yeah I was totally shocked when we got the bill that it was only $130 without the 10% service charge woo hoo ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Peita at Leo's Cheese Bar Adelaide Central Market January 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm Reply

Happy New Year! I am very envious Hong Kong is one of my Fave Cities. Love the harbour and the food.

Peita at Leo’s Cheese Bar

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 2:11 am Reply

Thank you Peita ๐Ÿ™‚ When was the last time you went to Hong Kong? You’ve gotta come back it changes all the time hehe ~

13. ironchefshellie January 2, 2013 at 9:11 pm Reply

Happy New Year you crazy chicka! Can’t wait to see you back in the kitchen whipping up all the calories ๐Ÿ˜› xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 2:12 am Reply

Thanks Shellie ๐Ÿ˜€ I can’t wait to be back in the kitchen too and make all the things on my list hehe you’ll have to come help me eat some of it though xox

14. renikameow January 3, 2013 at 12:42 am Reply

Loving the look of that baked rice and crab yum!

15. threehanns78 January 3, 2013 at 1:14 am Reply

what do you mean ” people would choose other cuisines over Thai..haha” never get Thai..ed over Thai.
    i wil post you my version of ginger mud crab after eating out at Omahs in Hawthorn, coming soon to facebook.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 2:13 am Reply

Hahahhaa but most people don’t wake up and decide to order ‘Thai’ food on NYE hehe ohhh wow you have your own version that’s great!!! Really hope you post it soon ๐Ÿ™‚

16. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) January 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reply

Happy New Year Daisy!
    I can’t wait to go to Hong Kong and eat what your having ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 2:24 am Reply

Thank you Julie ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy New Year too ~ When do you think you’ll go again? xox

17. theragingcook January 3, 2013 at 4:47 pm Reply

Happy New Year Daisy!!!! Those coconut aago puddings looks cute ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 4, 2013 at 2:32 am Reply

Happy New Year too Dave ๐Ÿ™‚ hope you have a great year ahead ๐Ÿ˜€

18. Christine @ Cooking Crusade January 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm Reply

Happy New Year Daisy! This meal looks super yummy. I love Hong Kong and hope to visit to here this year ๐Ÿ˜€