For Her – Taste of Melbourne 2012

As promised the “For Her” post for Taste of Melbourne 2012 ๐Ÿ™‚ This is the sweet post with ALL desserts from the event ~ I was so tempted to just write this post and then forget about all the savoury dishes…but then that doesn’t seem fair and hahaha Mr Bao wont be too happy ether!

Gundowring Ice-crea One Crown each :)

Gundowring Ice-crea One Crown each ๐Ÿ™‚

Let’s jump right into it! First dessert we had was one of my favourite Gundoring Ice-cream, one of the first products I ever blogged about ๐Ÿ™‚ They’re from rural Victoria and nothing beats their creamy and delicious ice-cream. We got 2 baby cones to share, a banana and vanilla flavour, and if I remember correctly it was only One Crown each, great taster size.

Gundoring ice-cream

Love this picture of the man selling the Gundoring ice-cream ๐Ÿ™‚ you can just tell he loves his job!

Salted Caramel Beignet 2 Crowns

Salted Caramel Beignet 2 Crowns

We then wandered to the Cacao Fine Chocolate stall, I’m a frequent customer at my local Cacao and love their pistachio macaron. But I haven’t seen these salted caramel beignet before ~ being only 2 Crowns, I couldn’t resist. However, I was a little disappointed, I couldn’t really taste any saltiness in the caramel and the beignet was a little dry >_<

4 Crowns per cupcake

4 Crowns per cupcake

I’ve seen 180 Cupcakes at last years Taste of Melbourne, and have put it onto my ‘go back’ list, but haven’t had the time, as they are a local cupcakery in Ivanhoe, which is a little out of my way. I do like their moist and fluffy cupcakes. I was really surprised that the zucchini cupcake was so delicious, I couldn’t even taste the zucchni ~

Valrhona 70% Chocolate Tart 8 Crowns

Valrhona 70% Chocolate Tart 8 Crowns

Moving on to the more well known restaurants ~ I’ve had desserts at Albert St Food and Wine before and also have Philippa Sibley’s book, but I totally forgot to bring it and ask her to sign it ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I really liked this chocolate tart and it was a very good tart case which was crumbly with a velvety and rich chocolate filling YUM!

Vanilla panna with citrus salad 8 Crowns

Vanilla panna cotta with citrus salad 8 Crowns

Next up Kirk insisted on trying the Vanilla panna cotta with citrus salad, baby basil, candied almonds and blood orange caramel sauce. We all agreed that it was presented very well with the candied almonds ~ flavours were also good and if we really wanted to be picky hahaha the panna cotta was slightly firm according to the Pastry Chef (Kirk) ๐Ÿ˜›

Warm Chocolate mousse 8 Crowns

Warm Chocolate mousse 8 Crowns

I then got extreme jealous from Thanh and Ms I-Hua’sย Instagram photo of the warm chocolate mousse they had ~ So the next day when we went back this first thing I got hehe and boy I was glad! The warm chocolate mousse with toasted marshmallows and caramel popcorn, it was like a cross between a hot chocolate and a chocolate pudding, super delicious! Sighhhh looking back… I’m getting serious cravings!

Mr Hive Kitchen & Bar

Mr Hive Kitchen & Bar

I was trying to be good and avoid Mr Hive Kitchen & Bar’s dessert degustsation…but lol Kirk persuaded me to go ๐Ÿ˜› we went pretty late at around 9pm, and the stall ends at 9:30pm so we felt pretty bad that the pastry chef, had to serve us. For 30 Crowns you get 3 desserts with an almond milkshake, salted caramel truffle and lolly bag to take home ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s actually good value for money as it generally costs $45AUD or more for the dessert degustation, even though portions are bigger.

Raymond Blanc the new pastry chef :)

Raymond Blanc the new pastry chef ๐Ÿ™‚

First dessert was the Chilled Watermelon soup, Elderflower Liquor Jelly, Kirk really liked this dessert as he loves watermelon. Everything was so delicate with little melon balls ~

Delicately plated ~

Delicately plated ~

While I found this dessert very refreshing the elderflower liquor in the jelly was a little strong for me ๐Ÿ™‚ but still a very good summer dessert ~

Chilled watermelon soup

Chilled watermelon soup

We then moved onto the famous and very popular Mrs Hive’s Chocolate Bar, I’ve had it before and even though I’m not a fan of peanut butter, this is probably the only peanut butter and chocolate desserts that I like ๐Ÿ™‚ I particularly like the smooth cold texture of the bar.

Summer Berry Eton Mess

Summer Berry Eton Mess

I wasn’t sure if I’ll like this dessert ~ because I don’t generally like mousse-type desserts ~ But this totally blew my mind hehe Mr Bao had a little taste and really liked the crunchiness from the blueberry meringues ๐Ÿ™‚ Gosh I love desserts with berries ~

Summer Berry Eton Mess

Summer Berry Eton Mess

MrHiveDessert

Salted Caramel Truffle and Almond Milkshakes

Both times I went to Mr Hive, they served a chocolate milkshake, but this time they served an almond milkshake. Even though it was nice, I still preferred the sweetness from the chocolate one ~ while the salted caramel truffle on top is my favourite! You have to eat it in one go, as it explodes in your mouth. I seriously would buy a whole box if they sold it hehe. I didn’t take a photo but you also get a little lolly bag full of handmade lollies ~

Now that concludes all the sweets and desserts that I had ๐Ÿ™‚ But I also bought some things home with me ~ such as chocolates from Monsieur Truffe.

Monsieur Truffe

Monsieur Truffe

And a mini Christmas pudding ๐Ÿ™‚ Because I really have no clue how to steam cakes without making them soggy hahaha

Christmas Pudding

Christmas Pudding

My Dear Readers ๐Ÿ™‚ this is my sweet post for Taste of Melbourne, there was still so many more desserts I didn’t get to try >_< so I have decided to try even harder next year to knock them all down!!!

Hope you’ve enjoyed the Taste of Melbourne posts will go check it out next year ~ I know I’m already looking forward to it ๐Ÿ˜€

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

38 thoughts on “For Her – Taste of Melbourne 2012

1. Hannah December 5, 2012 at 10:52 am Reply

Um hello ALL THE GOOD THINGS.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 10:14 am Reply

They were all sooooo good I wanna go back and eat it all again hehe ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Norma Chang December 5, 2012 at 11:42 am Reply

All look so delicious, my favorite would be the chilled watermelon soup.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 10:14 am Reply

I find that a lot of people like watermelon desserts and find it to be very refreshing hehe but I much prefer sweeter and rich desserts ๐Ÿ˜›

3. Choc Chip Uru December 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm Reply

What I wouldn’t give for dessert right now ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 10:15 am Reply

Same here ๐Ÿ™‚ I could really go back and eat it all again hehe

4. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals December 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm Reply

Daisy I bet you felt like you were at paradise, and I have to agree, you totally were!!!! I kept on looking over the photos and can not decide which one I would want the most, I want them all!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 10:16 am Reply

Hhahaa I know right Jeno! I wanted to get doubles and even more dessert too but tried my best to limit to only one per stall ๐Ÿ˜› Hope you’ve had some sweets today ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm Reply

How sweet having his and hers posts ๐Ÿ™‚ And the pastry chef’s name is Raymond Blanc? Just like the renowned French chef!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 10:17 am Reply

Yeah I was thinking that too Lorraine! I got the name online lol and just doubled checked up that’s his name hehe like the famous chef ๐Ÿ˜€

6. Ashley December 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm Reply

OMG! How’d I miss the dessert degustation?! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I had that chocolate tart from Albert Street too! So goooood…..<3

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 11:14 am Reply

I love love loved the chocolate tart ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m just upset that I didn’t get the lemon tart as well ๐Ÿ˜ฆ damnn u missed out on degustation it’s okay i can go back to Mr Hive with you anytime you want xoxo

7. milkteaxx December 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm Reply

oh wow you had so many desserts! i cant wait to come down and meet you and visit mr hive with you!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 11:22 am Reply

I knowwww i can’t wait ๐Ÿ™‚ please let me know when hehe love their desserts so much xox

8. gourmetgetaway December 6, 2012 at 5:37 am Reply

OMG!!! So many desserts!! I can’t believe you tried them all!! The chocolate tart looked so good ๐Ÿ™‚ …and watermelon soup!! YUM!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 11:24 am Reply

You would have loved the chocolate tart Julie ๐Ÿ™‚ I can just imagine it hehe ~ and the watermelon soup was good too but not my fave ๐Ÿ˜› xx

9. hotlyspiced December 6, 2012 at 6:37 am Reply

I love the photo of the ice cream man – he’s so happy and what a great smile! I love the look of all of this. You must have had such a brilliant day xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 11:25 am Reply

Me too ๐Ÿ™‚ loved that picture! I told him he had to be the model and he agreed yay! I had an amazing day hehe hope you’re having a lovely one too ~

10. Vien December 6, 2012 at 8:15 am Reply

I wish all the ice cream store would sell the mini cones so I could have one of every flavour!!! hehe TOO many good things in this post!!!! No offense to Mr Bao but the ‘for her’ post is waaaaay better ;P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 11:26 am Reply

Yeah i know right!!! it’ll be so great hehe to have mini cones ~ wakakkaa I knew it! I WIN ๐Ÿ˜›

11. theragingcook December 6, 2012 at 8:20 am Reply

Hahaha Daisy, you’ve just given me ideas and inspirations for Summer!

12. Tina @ bitemeshowme December 6, 2012 at 9:23 am Reply

Cannot believe your sweets posts is still so lengthy, even after all the savoury you ate. Haha you two are machines! But I feel that Andrew and I are also the same lolol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 11:32 am Reply

HAHAHAH sorry if my posts are too long >_< I'm trying to learn to cut down hehe ~ you and Andrew can eat too!!! I just do the sweets he does the savoury ๐Ÿ˜›

13. Hannah (BitterSweet) December 6, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

This event is the stuff that dreams are made of! Your photos really capture all the fun, so I don’t feel quite so sad about being halfway around the world while it was going on.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 11:33 am Reply

Thanks for stopping by my blog Hannah ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad you liked this post ~ It’s annoying when we’re so far away from each other and unable to share the actual experience hehe but glad you enjoyed reading about it ๐Ÿ˜€

14. libishski December 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm Reply

… and don’t forget, LIBBY won’t be happy either! hahaha

But no, seriously, there are some amazing desserts here. I can see why Dave got excited over the watermelon soup, for starters. I also like the look of the panna cotta and oh my, almond milkshakes! I want to make this at home!!

Oh and PS: I must say, Raymond Blanc isn’t bad looking either! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 7, 2012 at 8:05 am Reply

Hahaha yes yes I wont forget Libby! Because Libby also likes her savoury food hehe

The desserts were super delicious hehe and yup now you understand why Dave is crazy about the Watermelon soup LOL it’s so him! oh oh oh definitely try making the almond milkshake at home while I’ll make the salted caramel truffle hehe

I agree ๐Ÿ˜› He’s definitely a CUTIE very nice too!

15. Ali December 6, 2012 at 10:49 pm Reply

Oooh, the sweet stuff!!! And, so much of it, my goodness!! I think that chocolate mousse would have been my pick!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 7, 2012 at 8:23 am Reply

Good choice ๐Ÿ™‚ one of my favourites too but I think the winner for me was the chocolate tart hehe ~

16. Lilly Sue December 7, 2012 at 4:24 am Reply

Salted caramel beignets!! No way!! I want to try those! All the treats look delightful ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 7, 2012 at 8:26 am Reply

Salted caramel anything is good, but unfortunately, these weren’t the best >_<

17. theurbanmrs December 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm Reply

I had to scroll up and down and took notes on everything you posted! Salted caramel beignets is very interesting. Love love love!

18. penny aka jeroxie December 7, 2012 at 11:34 pm Reply

everything looks yummers!!!

19. thehungerpangs December 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm Reply

I was so tempted to go for the dessert degustation at Mr. Hive, but I ran out of time! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ How good was the summer berry Eton mess?! Love the blog revamp, by the way! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

20. Agnes December 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm Reply

GASP you don’t like peanut butter??! I’m not sure we can be friends anymore hahaha. ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 12, 2012 at 11:38 am Reply

I’ve never attended any food event, but I think I’d embarrassed myself standing at every stall getting all kinds of food. ๐Ÿ™‚ The 180 Cupcakes look amazing. My kids will be thrilled to see those cupcakes (and will trouble me requesting them)!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 12, 2012 at 11:56 am Reply

Oh are there no Food Events where you live? You really should find them and go ~ I bet you and your kids will have so much fun! And I don’t think you could resist not giving your kids a cute cupcake! ๐Ÿ˜€