Annual Mr Bao Day – Happy Birthday

I here by pronounce the 4th of September of each year to be Mr Bao Day because it is my Mr Bao’s amazing birthday ๐Ÿ˜€ He is turning the BIG 25 today ~ and I’m giving him a hard time saying he’s going to have a quarter of a life crisis soon hahaha I’m so mean!

Happy Birthday Mr Bao ๐Ÿ™‚

Celebrations started on Saturday when we went over to a friends place and I bought the cake ๐Ÿ™‚ I finally got the chance to make the epic Chocolate and Salted Caramel Cake I saw in the Jamie Oliver magazine a while ago. I will be sharing the recipe at the end of this post, but let me tell you ~ this was by far one of the best cakes I’ve made to date YAY! It was moist, soft and light ๐Ÿ™‚ and surprisingly not overly sweet because I was worried that Mr Bao was going to find it too sweet hehe

Mini 3 layer chocolate ganache cake

The next day at 7pm Mr Bao told me oh-so-casually “Oh yeah by the way, it’s my manager’s birthday tomorrow, maybe it would be nice if I bought a cake”. I was immediately shocked! “WHAT and you’re telling me now?!?” we were going out for dinner that night with the amazing bloggers, so we weren’t going to get home till later! ARGH! So as soon as we got home, I quickly made my favourite and most reliable chocolate fudge cake, halved the recipe and put them into two mini cake tins. 45 minutes later, I had two mini cakes, quickly sliced it up, made some chocolate ganache put it between the layers, and finally sprinkled some shaved chocolate to make it look nicer ๐Ÿ˜€ It was a made rush! Thank gosh Mr Bao’s manager and colleagues liked it YAY!

Chocolate Mug Cake with Coffee Ice-cream

Then last night just before Mr Bao went to bed, poor guy works at 6am so he went to bed before midnight, I made him a chocolate mug cake and topped it with coffee ice-cream because it’s his favourite ๐Ÿ™‚ and because I felt bad because I wont have the time to make him another proper cake tonight ~ Thank you Lorraine (Not Quite Nigella) for the amazing recipe!

Celebrations will continue today and all the way through tonight ๐Ÿ˜€ and I just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY my dearest Mr Bao! I can’t believe this is the 4th birthday I’ve celebrated with you! I’m losing out of ideas and you are always outdoing me ๐Ÿ˜› But I still wish you an amazing birthday and may all your wishes come trueeeeeeee xox

Recipe – Chocolate and Salted Caramel Cake from Jamie Oliver Magazineย

ย Yield – A double layer 23cm cake (serves 10 to 12) or for one (ME)

Ingredients
Chocolate Cake
250 grams Unsalted butter, cubed
250 grams 70% cocoa chocolate, broken to small pieces
150 grams Espresso
225 grams Self-raising flower
250 grams Raw caster Sugar
250 grams Light Brown Sugar
2 tablespoon (15ml) Cocoa powder
100 ml Buttermilk
4 eggs, beaten
White chocolate and Milk chocolate for shavings

Salted Caramel
200 grams Sugar
75ml Thickened cream
50 grams butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
50ml Water

Chocolate Ganache
100 grams 70% cocoa chocolate, broken into small pieces
100 ml thickened cream

Method
1) Start with the salted caramel. Place the sugar in a large saucepan with 50ml water. Gently heat on low, swirling the pan but don’t stir, until just melted. Be careful it is very hot! Turn up the heat a little and simmer gently, swirling regularly, until you have a clear, very dark golden caramel. *Warning* very easy to burn your caramel so watch it carefully ~ I burnt mine and had to redo it ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
2) Remove the pan from the heat then carefully and quickly whisk in the cream and butter. It will splutter a bit, but don’t worry about that. Keep whisking and beating until smooth, then beat in the salt. Let cool. It may set a little so reheat before spreading over the cake.
3) For the cake, preheat the oven to 150ยฐC. Grease and line the bases of 23 cm cake tins. Plan the chocolate in a saucepan with the butter, coffee and a pinch of fine salt. Melt until combined.

4) In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugars and cocoa (I sifted mine) until well combined.
5) Beat the buttermilk into the melted chocolate mixture, then mix in the beaten eggs.

6) Pour this mixture into the flour-sugar mixture and mix well. Spoon into cake tins and bake for 45 minutes, and check if cooked if not return to the oven checking every 5 minutes. Cool cakes in the tins for 10 minutes before turning it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7) Meanwhile make the ganache. Place chocolate into a bowl. Pour thickened cream into a small saucepan and gently heat. Just before it starts bubbling, remove the cream from the heat and pout it over the chocolate (Never add chocolate to the cream it will seize up). Leave the ganache to sit for a minute, then stir with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
8) Place the cool unfrosted cake on a board or plate, you may need to trim the top a little to make it flat and then drizzle with a 1/3 of the chocolate ganache and then drizzle with salted caramel.

9) Top with the other layer of chocolate cake and repeat with the chocolate ganache and then salted caramel and finish with chocolate shaving or any other decorations.
* You can make your own chocolate shavings by grating a block of chocolate with a cookie cutter.

This cake was actually easier to make than I anticipated, it was mainly melting and mixing one ingredient with the other. And the best thing is, you don’t need to wait for the butter to soften and cream it with the sugar ๐Ÿ™‚

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , ,

42 thoughts on “Annual Mr Bao Day – Happy Birthday

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 4, 2012 at 11:36 am Reply

Happy Mr Bao day! you’re so sweet baking him all of that goodness Daisy ๐Ÿ˜€ And you’re very welcome, I’m glad that you liked the recipe!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm Reply

Thank you Lorraine ๐Ÿ™‚ I think i’m gonna remake it tonight hehe

2. Julie September 4, 2012 at 11:43 am Reply

lol @ or one for me ๐Ÿ˜›
    Yum want to bake this cake!

• Julie September 4, 2012 at 3:32 pm Reply

btw Happy birthday Mr Bao!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm Reply

Do it Julie ๐Ÿ˜€ it’s so good! I’m remaking it this weekend!

3. hotlyspiced September 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm Reply

Happy birthday to your Mr Bao. I have to say, that salted caramel cake looks amazing and I think you’re incredible for whipping up a second cake with ganache in such a short period of time. I would have been floundering in my kitchen. I’ll have to make that Jamie Oliver cake at some stage. And Lorraine’s mug cake is a terrific idea. And he works at 6am? Ugh, that’s too early! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm Reply

I was pretty stressed out in the kitchen Charlie >_< I'm just glad it turned out oki hehe~ PHEW! You've gotta make this cake soon it's so DELICIOUS and so easy to make hehe melt and mix *WIN*
      yeah he starts work pretty early ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

4. Choc Chip Uru September 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm Reply

Truly you have spoilt Mr B rotten with chocolatey goodness and he deserves it ๐Ÿ™‚
    A very happy birthday to him!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm Reply

hahaha i think so too ๐Ÿ™‚ it was intentional but somehow all the cakes i made for him were chocolate oops ๐Ÿ˜› but he didn’t seem to mind hehe ~

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme September 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm Reply

Happy Birthday to MR Bao – what a lucky man he is for getting that cake made for him. Mmmmmmmmmm!

6. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals September 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm Reply

Happy birthday Mr. Bao! Daisy you are such a wonderful girlfriend! The chocolate cake looks dreamy, and Mr. Bao looks very happy cutting into it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reply

Thanks Jeno ๐Ÿ™‚ I try to be hehe ~ but we still fight like crazy most nights ahhaha glad he seemed to like the cake!

7. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. September 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm Reply

Lucky Mr Bao you’re such a good girlfriend! Happy Mr Bao Day!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm Reply

Thanks Winnie ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope he was happy with the cakes lol he’s complaining i bake too much lol

8. allyoudoiseat September 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm Reply

Happy birthday to Mr Bao! And what a delicious looking cake!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reply

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad the cake was better than we both expected hehe

9. Nic@diningwithastud September 4, 2012 at 4:51 pm Reply

Happy Mr Bao day! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reply

Thanks Nic ๐Ÿ™‚ he should come and thank everyone himself ๐Ÿ˜›

10. theragingcook September 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm Reply

Happy mr bao day hahaha!!! The chcoloate cake and chocolate mug cake looks awesome!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:21 am Reply

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ I know you’re really busy lately so maybe try the chocolate mug cake AMAZING recipe ๐Ÿ˜€

11. Cupcake Crazy Gem September 5, 2012 at 1:15 am Reply

Happy belated birthday Mr Bao! Wow that chocolate and salted caramel cake looks amazing! how appropriate that one of your best cakes to date was for one of your most important people to date! hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:21 am Reply

Thank you Gem ๐Ÿ™‚ I was super happy that this cake was the best I’ve made to date hehe was so worried that it was going to be my worse HAHAHA

12. kellysiew September 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reply

Hahaha I haven’t made the mug cake for a while now. It’s a dangerous thing! That Jamie Oliver cake looks all sorts of amazing! Happy Belated Bday Mr Bao!

Do you have a bottomless chocolate stash or something?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:34 am Reply

Hhahaha you could say that Kelly ๐Ÿ˜› I have OVER 8kgs at home LOL i’m a bit crazy! I always sock up hehe different chocolate for different purposes ๐Ÿ˜€

You’ve gotta make the mug cake again it’s AMAZING!

13. Joanna September 5, 2012 at 6:42 pm Reply

WOW! lucky Mr. Bao
    have you put your love and heart make a birthday for him
    Happy Birthday to him

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:34 am Reply

Thank you Joanna ๐Ÿ™‚ the cake’s not that hard to make and you don’t even need to use a mixer ~ you should try soon hehe

14. ironchefshellie September 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm Reply

Yumโ€ฆ. I love the anything with buttermilk! Happy Birthday to Mr Bao again!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:35 am Reply

Thanks Shellie ๐Ÿ™‚ Mr Bao really needs to come to my blog and say thank you himself ๐Ÿ˜› I love buttermilk too and think you need the real deal! Milk with lemon simply don’t do it!

15. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) September 6, 2012 at 12:55 am Reply

I hope Mr. Bao had a wonderful birthday!! The cake is gorgeous, which is so important for a birthday celebration, lol! You are so sweet for making a cake for his manager too — it looks lovely!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:37 am Reply

Thank you Faith ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s one of the best cakes i’ve made to date woo hoo! I never thought i’d succeed hehe ~ Sighhh it was a mad rush for me to make his manager a cake but I’m glad it turned out alright ๐Ÿ˜€

16. Christine (@cookingcrusade) September 7, 2012 at 12:08 am Reply

Happy birthday to your Mr Bao! He’s a lucky man – that cake looks wonderful! I hope I get a chocolate and salted caramel cake on my 25th birthday too ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:38 am Reply

Thanks for dropping by Christine ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m glad he and our guests liked the salted caramel cake hehe that stuff is DEFINITELY addictive like we said over Twitter ๐Ÿ˜€

17. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 7, 2012 at 2:17 am Reply

Happy Birthday Mr. Bao! What a lucky guy~~~! Daisy, you are so sweet baking a cake for his birthday and you made another cake for his manager! They look all so delicious and I wanted to get a piece too! ๐Ÿ˜€ Layered cakes look so intimidating to make for a beginner and I need a baking friend like you to make together. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:39 am Reply

Thank you Nami ๐Ÿ™‚ I I’m only nice because it’s Mr Bao’s bday ๐Ÿ˜› usually I’m pretty mean ahahah I felt bad when Mr Bao told me about his manager birthday ~ I think everyone should get a cake on their birthday hehe ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish I lived close to you so we can bake together ~ I’m only just starting to make layered cakes ~ because I always cut it wrongly and then it becomes lopsided >_<

18. cakewhiz September 7, 2012 at 3:32 am Reply

happy birthday to mr.bao! he looks so happy with the birthday cake you made him. that was so sweet of you! and that cake looks delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 9, 2012 at 12:40 am Reply

Thank you for dropping by ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope he likes it as much as he said he did ๐Ÿ˜›

19. liannelow September 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reply

wow! you’re amazingggg! The cake looks spectacular! hehe and definitely delicious! hehe Happy birthday Mr Bao! hehe I’m sure u had an amazing day ! hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 16, 2012 at 4:36 am Reply

Sorry babe only saw this comment ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the wishes and glad he had a nice day ~ you did an amazing job for Lester’s bday too ๐Ÿ™‚ gonna try that lava cake soon!

20. leaf (the indolent cook) September 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm Reply

Happy belated birthday to Mr Bao! The cake was yummy by the way (this is the one you gave us, right?), and I was also surprised it wasn’t as sweet as I imagined! Thanks again. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 16, 2012 at 4:37 am Reply

Sorry Leaf just saw your comment ๐Ÿ™‚ so glad that you didn’t find the cake too sweet, I think it’s because it has 150ml of espresso to cut through the sweetness YAY!

21. […] thinking what would he like as his cake. As he loves salted caramel, I was inspired by Ms D’s cakeย  (the queen of desserts hehe) that she made for her mr’s birthday! So after much research, I […]