Being Creative – Apple Pie Bread And Butter Pudding

I really respect all cookbook authors ๐Ÿ™‚ They are so creative to be able to think and create brand new recipes on their own ~ as I have said many times on the blog hehe I’m really just an amateur baker and still learning and doing many things for the first time. And sometimes fail even though I’ve followed the recipe, so it was a huge step for me when I decided to really step out of my comfort zone and really play around with my own adapted recipes hehe they’re not my own recipe because I get the basis of my recipe from the book, blog or magazine, but I have really tried putting some of my own thoughts into it.

So today, I present to you the Apple Pie Bread and Butter Pudding, I need to say a special thank you to Lianne (she’s amazing check out her blog) because I wouldn’t have been able to do it without her croissant bread and butter pudding recipe and the advice she gave me ๐Ÿ™‚

You may be wondering, while apple pie and while bread and butter pudding? Well to be completely honest with you, I’m not really a big fan of bread and butter pudding, I simply never got it….but then lol at the start of the year when I went to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in HK ย and had their bread and butter pudding topped with their vanilla bean ice-cream, it totally changed my opinion of it hehe sooooo since then I’ve been meaning to make a bread and butterย  pudding….but never really got the chance to because whenever I want to make it…. Mr Bao will finish all the bread before I could bake with it….or we don’t get the right bread….

Then finally, the other day we bought a loaf of raisin bread for breakfast, Mr Bao doesn’t really like sweet things for breakfast so we’ve been struggling to finish it…YAY finally! STALE BREAD hahha i don’t think I’ve been so excited about stale bread in my life, and it’s the perfect type to make bread and butter pudding with!

So I immediately had a look at the recipes only and got the gist of it, and found that most recipes added chocolate chips or raisins to their pudding, even though I had these at home…I wanted something different, then that’s when I remembered I still had apple pie filling from the other day when I made Apple Pie cucpakes ๐Ÿ™‚ I need to tweek that recipe before I blog about it hehe ~

I was then frantically looking for a recipe that I could base my apple pie bread and butter pudding on…then Lianne came to the rescue ๐Ÿ˜€ she said she’d blogged a recipe before, so I quickly jumped onto her blog and found it was the perfect basis for my recipe! I was a little nervous, because I wasn’t adding any raisins or chocolate chip and adding apple pie filling instead.

The finished product? Better than I expected ~ it had the right buttery and fudgy pudding texture, had a rich creamy vanilla flavour then with apple pie pieces all through it! YUM! Only thing I would change is ADD some brown sugar, because I found it to be a little bland, but there is nothing ice-cream or honey or maple syrup can’t fix hehe

Recipe – Apple Pie Bread and Butter adapted from Food Made With Love

Yield – 6 to 8 servings

Ingredientsย
6 Slices of Raisin Bread
1 cup of Apple Pie Filling (Homemade or Can)
20 grams Unsalted Butter
300ml Thickened Cream
50ml Milk
1 Egg
3 Egg yolks
1tsp Vanilla Paste
50grams Sugar (I forgot ๐Ÿ˜ฆ )

Method
1) Preheat your oven to 180ยฐC or 350ยฐF
2) Grease your oven safe dish, use your hands, roughly tear the slices of bread and put them into the dish (I used a small square one)ย

3) Dice butter into small cubes and place sparingly between the bread slices. Sprinkle apple pie filling over bread slices.

4) To make the custard to pour over the bread, mix/whisk the thickened cream, milk and vanilla paste. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, egg yolks and sugar until well combined, pour mixture into the cream mixture and mix well.

5) ย Pour custard over the bread slices and let it rest for 10 minutes to absorb the custard.

6) Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle icing sugar all over the top.
7) Serve with honey/maple syrup or ice-cream.

Apple Pie Filling Recipe adapted from Taste.com

Yield – 2 cups depending on the size of your apples

Ingredientsย
1.5kg (8 to 10)Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
60grams (1/4 cup) Caster Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
50 ml water

Method
1) Toss apples in lemon juice to avoid turning brown.
2) Place apples, water, caster sugar and cinnamon into a saucepan and cook on a medium-low heat until tender (approximately 5 to 8 minutes)
3) Drain and ready to use.

Hope you liked my little creation ๐Ÿ™‚ I still have so much to learn about creating my own recipes but its sure fun! Thanks again Lianne ~

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , ,

39 thoughts on “Being Creative – Apple Pie Bread And Butter Pudding

1. andy1076 September 2, 2012 at 1:46 am Reply

This is my absolute favorite! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Choc Chip Uru September 2, 2012 at 5:23 am Reply

I am actually dying what an inspiring idea! I could eat this all… For breakfast ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 1:10 am Reply

That’s a good idea ๐Ÿ™‚ i was thinking of having it as a after dinner dessert hehe

3. Vien September 2, 2012 at 7:50 am Reply

hehe I used to hate bread and butter pudding because I’ve never had a good one! but I love it now!! ๐Ÿ˜€

4. hotlyspiced September 2, 2012 at 8:07 am Reply

What a wonderful dessert. Perfect for a cold winter’s night. It looks gorgeous Daisy and I love your photos. And I have great respect for those who can create recipes too – such a skill xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 1:20 am Reply

Thank you Charlie ๐Ÿ™‚ wasn’t sure how it’ll turn out, but I think it turned out better than my expectation yay hehe definitely respect those who can bake without a recipe ~

5. Hannah September 2, 2012 at 8:23 am Reply

How funny, the only time I’ve made bread and butter pudding, I threw in some sauteed apples and cranberries too because normal bread and butter pudding doesn’t thrill me! I used rye bread, though, so it was quite hearty and not too sweet. Yours looks a little more decadent ๐Ÿ˜›

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

hahaha nice ๐Ÿ™‚ great mind sure think a like hehe ~ wow i’ve never thought of using rye bread but that’s a good idea hehe i wonder if sourdough will be too weird hehe

6. Ali September 2, 2012 at 11:10 am Reply

This looks great with the apples in it! I’m also not one for straying too far from the recipe! Nice work being creative ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:11 am Reply

Thank you Ali ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s my first time and I got help from an experienced blogger so I can’t take credit for the recipe hehe ~

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 2, 2012 at 11:51 am Reply

That looks very comforting and tasty and I like the addition of apple to it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:12 am Reply

It was definitely comforting Lorraine ๐Ÿ™‚ Winter’s over now! But i’m really gonna miss eating these hearty, warm and comforting desserts ~

8. theragingcook September 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm Reply

Apples in sweets, always a winner!!!

9. kellysiew September 2, 2012 at 9:12 pm Reply

Apple and raisin bread sounds heavenly! Yum I’m hungry now ๐Ÿ˜›

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:16 am Reply

You’ve gotta try soon Kelly ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s quite easy and definitely yummy!

10. Ames September 2, 2012 at 9:18 pm Reply

Sounds like a great combination ๐Ÿ™‚ Love apple pie and raisin toast so would be divine! I’m still a long way from creating my own recipes but you guys inspire me to do it one day ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 2, 2012 at 11:36 pm Reply

Awwww you’re too kind Ames! I m still trying and learning by trial and error hehe ๐Ÿ˜‰ but its so encouraging hehe ~ thank you!

11. liannelow September 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm Reply

yummy! (: you’re most welcome for the recipe! hehe this sounds awesomeeee! hehe love bread and butter pudding! haven’t made it for a while now. Think I have to make it soon! hehe xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:23 am Reply

You’ve gotta make it soon then ๐Ÿ™‚ Especially since it’s getting warm now ~ you wanna make it before it gets too hot hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks again for the recipe and inspiration xox

12. Tina @ bitemeshowme September 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reply

i wish I could be more creative – I’m too scared to! haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 8, 2012 at 3:02 am Reply

But you’re such a talented baker ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m still learning hehe

13. Joanna September 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm Reply

Daisy:
    this pudding recipe is a creative way to use bread to do something different ๐Ÿ™‚
    I also went to the blog you adapted the recipe from
    I saw the”melting moment” you introduce to me
    it’s really smilier to “yo- you biscuit”
    wow, there are always so many new things for us to try, isn’t it?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm Reply

Hi Joanna ๐Ÿ™‚ definitely a new way to use staled bread ~ Lianne is a very talented baker and she shares lots of amazing recipes. Give it a try when you have time ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Iron Chef Shellie September 3, 2012 at 7:55 pm Reply

zomg this look amazeballs!! I’m feeling like a big ol bowl of it right now ๐Ÿ™‚

15. bakingaddict September 4, 2012 at 8:42 am Reply

Yum! 2 of my favourite desserts rolled into one. One of the reasons I love baking is being able to express my creativity which I thought I had none of but I amaze myself sometimes with what I come up with in the kitchen! Mind you there are a few disasters along the way but when it works well, it feels really good ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 8, 2012 at 11:23 pm Reply

Couldn’t agree more Ros ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s so nice to be able to make up my own recipes but I’m definitely a newbie and still have so much to learn ๐Ÿ˜€ and failures are a given but I’m happy to redo it until i get it right hehe ~

16. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) September 4, 2012 at 10:28 am Reply

You may laugh at me, but I love bread and butter puddings, especially in a grey and cold winter afternoon! But I also like apple pie! You know in the UK, most of the Sunday dinner desserts only have a few popular choices, Bread and butter pudding and apple pie usually on the list! I always make sure we order different ones, so we could share ;p
    Love your creation! Must taste so good ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 8, 2012 at 11:23 pm Reply

I didn’t know Bread and Butter Puddings and Apple Pie were so common in the UK ๐Ÿ™‚ But i guess it’s where they were created hehe ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m glad you liked this recipe ~ do give it a go next time you want bread and butter pudding ๐Ÿ˜€

17. penny aka jeroxie September 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm Reply

Looks really good girl!

18. thehungerpangs September 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm Reply

Nice work, Daisy! I’m yet to come up with a recipe of my own or a completely unique adaptation of an existing recipe, so I take my hat off to you ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks delish! x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 8, 2012 at 11:35 pm Reply

Thank you Ali ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m trying to be more creative ~ and come up with other recipes but it’s definitely hard!

19. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 7, 2012 at 2:19 am Reply

Ohh! This sounds like an easy recipe that I can handle! If you are a beginner baker then I must call myself something else! You are far more advanced than me and keep trying all new baking recipes. I’m inspired by you!! I agree, cookbook authors are not just authors – they are creative and very talented!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 8, 2012 at 11:41 pm Reply

Oh no don’t say that Nami! I’m definitely a beginner and still learning as I bake many things for the first time ๐Ÿ™‚ I bet you are a fantastic baker and even if you don’t think so, you are an AMAZING cook ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish i could cook as well as you hehe ~ I respect you more always blogging delicious and healthy home recipes!