I Love You – Cupcake Recipe

Thank you everyone for sending all those sweet comments about our anniversary ๐Ÿ™‚ Many of you commented that Mr Bao and I are a cute couple hahaha we both had a little laugh because we fight and bicker with each other soooooooo much on a daily basis ๐Ÿ˜›

Would like to apologise for the missing recipe in my last post, I had been training all week and was rushing to get the anniversary postย up by Tuesday night, so I forgot about the recipe ~ Sorry everyone! Thanks Jane (Rice Bowl Tales) for reminding me ๐Ÿ™‚ so as promised this is the recipe for making these ‘I Love You’ Cupcakes with a secret surprise inside!

Oh oh oh it’s also really exciting because, this was the first time I ever used my very own KITCHENAID! My other Kenwood Mixer decided to die…soooo it was the BEST excuse to buy the KA and I couldn’t get any other colour except PINK ๐Ÿ™‚

I used the cupcake recipe from the Hummingbird bakery, doubled it, used 1/3 of the batter for the little hearts and 2/3 for the rest of the cupcake ~ these cupcakes were actually easier to make then I had anticipated, because I thought it was going to be really difficult. It’s just a little time consuming and is important to use a reliable and moist cupcake recipe, then you’ll be fine ~

Recipe – I Love You Cupcakes adapted from Hummingbird Bakeryย and Made With Love By Meย

Ingredients makes 10 to 12 cupcakes with a hidden heart

Food colouring of your choice, I used Red

Vanilla Frosting
250 grams icing sugar, sifted
80 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
25ml whole milk

Method

1) Preheat the oven to 170ยฐC (325ยฐF).
2) Put te flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter into an electric mixer with the paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until it reaches a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3) Gradually pour in half of the milk (120ml) and beat until the milk is just incorporated.

4) Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk (120ml) together in a separate jug for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a spatula). Continue mixing for a couple of minutes until the mixture is smooth. Be careful do not overmix.

5) Separate 1/3 of the mixture into a separate bowl and cover the remaining 2/3 of the mixture with cling wrap so it doesn’t dry out. Using the food colouring of your choice, stir a couple of drops until it reaches the colour you want. I used red because I wanted the heart inside the cupcake to be bright red ๐Ÿ™‚
6) Pour coloured mixture into a prepared brownie/square cake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes. Check if cake is cooked with a skewer and remove from oven.
7) Let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before turning it onto a wire rack and let it cool completely. Once cool, use a heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out 10 to 12 heart shaped cake pieces.

8) Prepare a cupcake tin and line holes with cupcake wrappers, spoon one tablespoon of the cupcake mixture into the holes. Then place one heart shaped cake piece into the holes, you then need to fill and cover the hearts with more vanilla mixture.

9) Place in oven and depending on your oven, bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden and the cake bounces back when gently touched.
10) Once cool enough to touch transfer the cupcakes onto a wire rack and let cool.

11) In the mean time make the vanilla buttercream frosting, beat the sifted icing sugar and butter together using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
12) Turn the mixer speed down to low. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed.
13) Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer you beat the frosting the fluffier and lighter it becomes

14) You can now frost the cupcakes as you wish and maybe like me sprinkle edible glitter over the ๐Ÿ™‚

Note – The hearts may not stay and float up to the top >_<

Unfortunately, a few of my heart shaped sponge cakes, floated up to the top like the one on the left >_< as it’s the first time I’ve made this, I’m not sure why this happened, but I suspect it’s because the batter is too moist and watery, it wasn’t able to hold the heart properly. But then I’m worried if I used a ‘drier, denser’ heart shaped cake, it’ll turn really dry when I bake it again with the vanilla batter.

But if everything goes according to plan, only a few cupcakes will turn out like that and the rest will have ย a little hidden surprise when you cut it open ~

SUCCESS

Just make sure you just it in right direction so the heart is facing you ๐Ÿ˜› I know I stuffed up a few times hehe and Mr Bao thought it was just a ‘red’ blob inside the cupcake…and someone did comment that the hearts looked like apples >_< doesn’t matter practice makes perfect!

Like I mentioned before these were actually easier to make than I thought ๐Ÿ™‚ just a little fidgety hehe ~ hope you like this recipe and will make it for your loved ones for their bday, anniversary or Valentines day!

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , ,

29 thoughts on “I Love You – Cupcake Recipe

1. theragingcook August 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm Reply

Whoa sugar rush!!! Not that impressed by the Cupcake craze, I’m more. macaron person lol. Pretty cute cupcakes though, and you’re using more up to date equipment, I’m still using cooking tools from the 80s haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 8:33 am Reply

Oh a shame that you don’t really like cupcakes ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I know I never use to be a macaron type a gal until i had some AMAZING ones so don’t give up on cupcakes ๐Ÿ™‚ maybe make some of your own and you’ll fall in love with them too ~
      hahaha i still use traditional tools lol rolling pin and things ๐Ÿ˜›

2. peach water August 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm Reply

โค so sweet sweet la ๐Ÿ˜› get married already LOL

3. hotlyspiced August 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm Reply

I’m so glad you shared the recipe Daisy because I thought you wanted it kept in the family vault. I love your Kitchen Aid and I have no issue withe the colour. It’s gorgeous. I love the cupcakes and think you are so clever and great to see how you got that red heart centre – so fabulous xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 8:38 am Reply

Hello Charlie ๐Ÿ™‚ hahaha no not going to keep it a secret it’s always nice to share with others, it’s just the photo editing took a while and with training i haven’t had time to blog about it ๐Ÿ™‚
      I can’t take credit for the idea of putting a red heart into the cupcake hehe i got it from another blog ~ but a fabulous idea!

Hope you try soon! xoxo

4. Ames August 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm Reply

How very cute, Daisy! Will indeed give these a try on a special day in the future ๐Ÿ˜‰ Happy anniversary again !

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 11:59 am Reply

Thanks Ames ๐Ÿ™‚ i can’t wait to see you tomorrow! And you’ve gotta give these cupcakes ago! you don’t have to put a heart in there if you want to hehe

• Ames August 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm Reply

Me neither! Pls private message me your number just in case I’m late or something from class ๐Ÿ˜› xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reply

Just did sorry it took me so long ๐Ÿ™‚ can’t wait to meet up YAY!

5. Vien August 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm Reply

hehe you two are toooo cute! ๐Ÿ˜›

6. bakingaddict August 13, 2012 at 4:51 am Reply

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I saw a few on the blogosphere near Valentine’s earlier this year and I’ve bookmarked them for next year. You two definitely make a great couple ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply

Same Ros ๐Ÿ™‚ i was going to make them for V day but then ended up making something else hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ you’ve gotta try this recipe and maybe yours will look more like hearts than apples hahha ๐Ÿ˜›

7. Choc Chip Uru August 13, 2012 at 5:41 am Reply

These cupcakes are actually the sweetest and cutest ever – you two are perfect ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply

Thanks Uru ๐Ÿ™‚ i think the person who came up with this idea to be very clever too hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks we’re not that perfect just silly together!

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme August 13, 2012 at 9:20 am Reply

Seriously, super cute. I need to try this heart in the middle thing. I’ve seen it done before.. have just never been bothered to make it LOL

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm Reply

hahaha i know what u mean! i wouldn’t go into all that trouble if it wasn’t for our anny and just to let you know hahhaa i failed the first time and had to make another batch of hearts!!! ๐Ÿ˜›

9. Norma Chang August 13, 2012 at 10:20 am Reply

Very, very cute.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm Reply

Thank you Norma ๐Ÿ™‚ maybe make them for your loved ones too ~

10. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals August 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm Reply

Oh Daisy, so that’s how you made those super adorable cupcakes happen! I was so puzzled when first looking at the photos (from the anniversary posting), so happy the mystery has been solved!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm Reply

Hahaha sorry to confuse you ๐Ÿ™‚ i was confused the first time i saw it too so i’m happy that i’m able to share with everyone the recipe ~ YAY!

11. Hannah August 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm Reply

You’re getting pretty good at this adorable baking thing! ๐Ÿ˜€

12. liannelow August 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm Reply

super duper awesome babe! (: hehe definitely perfect for someone you love! hehe Happy anniversary once again! hehe x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm Reply

Thank you dear ๐Ÿ™‚ i’m so glad they just turned out ok hehe maybe you can make it for the hubs next V day ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm Reply

I’m so going to do that on Valentines Day! I saw it on Nydia blog on V day this year but sadly didn’t get time to do it. It’s such a cute effect!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 29, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reply

You’ve gotta make these Lorraine ๐Ÿ™‚ They’re such a crowd pleaser or lol one pleaser i’m sure Mr NQN will like them too ~

14. Sophie Wang (@aecliss) August 17, 2012 at 9:36 am Reply