Rabbit Popcorn – The Sharing House

I can’t believe its already July ๐Ÿ™‚ Time seriously flies! This is the first time in probably 6 years where I am actually here in Melbourne ~ when I was at Uni, I’m usually in HK visiting family and enjoying the hot and humid summer over there ~ but nope…i’m an official working gal now so no more holidays >_< ย Do you celebrate Christmas in July? I didn’t really have the time, but next year I have made a promise to myself to make a big deal about Christmas in July hehe it’s important I get to celebrate Christmas twice a year because it’s one of my favourite holidays ๐Ÿ˜€

Moving on, I wanted to share with you, our experience at The Sharing House in South Wharf ~ It’s a relatively new area and I never knew there were restaurants there, I usually go there for the South Wharf DFO, do my shopping and leave. But now I have another reason to go woo hoo!

Prior to visiting, I didn’t know much about The Sharing House ~ but after reading up onย Ms I-Hua and Peach Water’s great reviews, I found out that Paul Mathis is the mastermind behind it, who also owns Henry and the Fox, Akochochin, Coffeehead, Taxi Dining Room and a couple more ๐Ÿ™‚ WOW pretty impressive especially in the current economy conditions where even celebrity chefs are forced to close down their restaurants.

Mr Bao is addicted to Lego and even though he is 24… he will STILL buy Lego sets lol gosh he’s such a kid ๐Ÿ˜› so he particularly liked the bar and how it was all built with Lego interesting fact I found from Jan’s post was that The Sharing House spent more than $12,000AUD just on Lego pieces!

Pretty busy on a Friday night ~

I took Ms I-Hua’s advice and made sure I booked way in advance, especially since Mr Bao and I went on a Friday night ~ it was quite busy, but because we got there at nearly 8:30pm I think the first batch of people had already finished dinner and left ๐Ÿ™‚

Lucky Duck Apple Cider $8AUD

Mr Bao decided to ‘drink’ that night, meaning I’d be the Designated Driver that night…which is fine because I don’t really drink and would rather save my money and calories for MORE dessert ๐Ÿ˜€ He’s a little obsessed about Apple Cider so he immediately ordered the ‘Lucky Duck’ Apple Cider that is Made In Melbourne. He really enjoyed it saying it was very “refreshing and hahaha took me to cloud 9 after a long day at work” OKAY…I think he was just exaggerating hahaha I had a sip and thought it was a normal cider with alcohol in it ย sorry to me, I reckon its a little overpriced ๐Ÿ˜›

Rabbit and Cauliflower Popcorn with garlic aioli $12AUD

Everyone I’ve talked to who have gone to The Sharing House recommended the Rabbit Popcorn, I was a little apprehensive, especially since, I’ve actually never had Rabbit before I was really worried that it would taste very ‘gamey’ and like ‘venison’ with a strong taste. But Jan and Ms I-hua made it simply too irresistible so I stepped out of my comfort zone and ordered the rabbit popcorn! It was AMAZING! It tasted just like chicken popcorn but BETTER ๐Ÿ™‚ And just like how Jan described it was like a ‘lottery, you don’t know if you’re going to get rabbit or cauliflower’ ~

So yummy ~

I swear Mr Bao took ALL the rabbit because I only had a couple of rabbit pieces and the rest were all cauliflower…we also loved the garlic aioli it was so addictive, hahaha Mr Bao even wanted to ask for more.

Fondue whole camembert with crusty bread $24AUD

We had a little trouble with the menu because there were simply too many things to choose from, ranging from their small sharing to the large sharing and their small pizzas. But the thing that caught my eye was the ‘Fondue’ because I do love my cheese ~ however, it just wasn’t the fondue I wanted it to be lol I expected it to be the full-fledged fondue served in a traditional fondue pot…but nope it was simply a camembert cheese that was melted, served with cut vegetables and crusty bread.

Melting camembert cheese YUM!

Even though this wasn’t the fondue I expected, it was still delicious ๐Ÿ™‚ we particularly liked the crusty bread that came with it ~ perfect for dipping in the melting camembert cheese ~ We’re not sure if they make it in house or if they sauce it from an external bakery but either way the bread was GOOD ๐Ÿ˜€ crispy on the outside and every so soft on the inside hehe

Belly – Slow roasted pork belly, salsa verde, beetroot and walnut salad $42AUD

Jan had warned me that it was a HUGE pork belly ๐Ÿ™‚ so I was a little worried but was relieved when it was delivered to our table, it wasn’t as big as I thought it would be and was confident that Mr Bao could polish it off all by himself without my help ๐Ÿ˜› Yup he consumes a LOT of food hahaha I’m sure Lianne (Food Made With Love) and Julie (I Dream In Chocolate) will know exactly what I’m saying ~

So tender and juicy~

The pork belly was roasted perfectly! So juicy and tender ~ and it wasn’t overly salty or too bland. However, the crackling wasn’t as ‘crispy’ as we expected it to be and it was really sticky lol we had chewing it because it’ll stick on our teeth. But the salsa verde and the beetroot and walnut salad was simply divine! I’m not usually a fan of beetroot, but with the crushed walnuts and rocket it blended really well with each other ~

Time for desserts ~ Mr Bao was surprisingly full from the pork belly lol but I can never leave without at least trying ONE or TWO desserts hahaha and he knew if he didn’t get a dessert to share with me, he wouldn’t hear the end of it ๐Ÿ˜› I’ll be complaining all the way home.

The Ice Cream Man with 6 mini scoops $14AUD

I saw other people ordering this and immediately wanted to get it for dessert, it had the cutest name and I love anything that’s mini because it means I can eat even MORE of it ๐Ÿ˜› From the left the flavours were – strawberry, vanilla bean, mint chocolate chip, pedroย ximenez, pistachio and limoncello. We really liked the vanilla bean, strawberry and limoncello, however, the mint chocolate chip tasted a little too much like ‘toothpaste’ and the pistachio had a strange taste, I couldn’t really tell it was ‘pistachio’. A slight let down with the ice-cream, but still its soooooo cute!

Chocolate Delice – chocolate mousse, salted caramel and ice cream $14AUD

I had a little trouble deciding between the Afternoon Tea a range of pastries and tarts or this Chocolate Delice, it was simply too hard to turn down salted caramel ๐Ÿ™‚ so that’s what we decided on.

Chocalicious ๐Ÿ™‚

Mr Bao says this looks a little bit like a Mars Bar lol but of course its not and it tastes so much better, with the chocolate mouse and salted caramel ๐Ÿ™‚ sends you to chocolate heaven within seconds! But I have to say for those who don’t like really rich desserts, you might not like this desserts ~ I can’t wait to go back to try all their desserts!

How cute!

Mr Bao wanted to steal this! I have to admit it is pretty cute and creative way to deliver the bill to your customers ~ we thought it was also priced reasonably and had a great night. We’re definitely going back soon ๐Ÿ™‚

The Sharing House on UrbanspoonPS. Bryan (Fatboo) also posted a great review on The Sharing House today lol its the second time we’ve posted about the same restaurant on the same day ๐Ÿ™‚

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “Rabbit Popcorn – The Sharing House

1. andy1076 July 4, 2012 at 9:30 am Reply

wow! totally a different popcorn experience ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) July 4, 2012 at 10:20 am Reply

This place is amazing!! I love all their presentations. I am sure the quality of food must be very good too judging by the photographs. I especially love the melting Camembert cheese and crusty bread, so delicious looking!!
    By the way, why Mr Bao called Mr Bao when his surname isn’t Bao ?! ~~ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 10:38 am Reply

Hello Jane ๐Ÿ™‚ This is an AMAZING place ๐Ÿ™‚ I like their presentation too especially putting the rabbit popcorn into the paper bag hehe ~ I’ve actually never had Camembert cheese like this before ๐Ÿ™‚ but it was very delicious my only other weakness apart from desserts is CHEESE hehe

LOL Mr Bao is called Mr Bao because when we first started dating he gave me a little ‘stuffed’ toy that was a shape of a ‘Bread roll’ and smelt like one too ๐Ÿ™‚ it was the “IT” thing to give your partners then hahaha so i gave him the nickname ‘Bao Bao’ now i think that’s a bit cheesy for the blog so to give it a more mature name I changed it to ‘Mr Bao’ LOL

3. Cupcake Crazy Gem July 4, 2012 at 10:46 am Reply

Oh my goodness Daisy you have to stop doing this to us!! We are all going to be hopping the next plane to Melbourne if you don’t stop tempting us with all these amazing eateries!!! I just love the lego bar too and the way they presented you the bill, so cool! and the camembert and pork looks SO delicious! but of course I am in love with that little ice cream rack, what an amazing idea and you’re right – everything is better when it’s mini! So jeal of your amazing looking meal out!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 10:39 am Reply

I’m sorry Gem I wish i had enough money and be able to pay for everyone’s flights and ask you to come to Melbourne and I’ll take you to all these great places for brunch and dinner ~

The lego theme of the restaurant is amazing ๐Ÿ™‚ i really like it hehe ~ i wonder if I can find that little ice-cream rack and try to steal this idea ๐Ÿ˜›

4. Nic@diningwithastud July 4, 2012 at 11:11 am Reply

Ok, I officially want to eat all of that

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 10:40 am Reply

You’ve gotta come down to Melbourne soon ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll take you ~

5. hotlyspiced July 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm Reply

I’m going to a Christmas in July event at the end of the month. I love the look of the rabbit popcorn. What an unusual dish. I would never have thought of that. And I do love the look of the pork belly – how delicious. And no, I have never been to a restaurant where the bill comes out in lego xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 10:41 am Reply

Hi Charlie ๐Ÿ™‚ how fun~ I’d love to have a Christmas in July event to go to ~ too bad we don’t have one for work sighhhh

i know right! I was really excited when I first heard and like I said was a little worried about eating it…but it was so DELICIOUS along with the cauliflower~

6. Choc Chip Uru July 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm Reply

This is such a fantastic review my friend ๐Ÿ˜€
    I am a sucker for this place, especially because of the ice cream ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 10:47 am Reply

Hi Uru ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you always so sweet xox

The ice-cream was a cute idea but unfortunately not the best flavours though ~

• Choc Chip Uru July 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm Reply

Don’t worry, if you ever replicate it, I know it will be fabulous ๐Ÿ˜€
        Also just a note that I sent an email around regarding the guest post ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm Reply

Yup yup Uru thanks for reminding me will send the post to you soon by the end of the weekend ๐Ÿ˜‰ cheers!

7. sugarpuffi July 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm Reply

rabbit popcorn? you make me jump on a plane and fly to melb!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 11:40 am Reply

You’re going to HK! LOL Make a trip to Melbourne when you come back ~

8. Vien July 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm Reply

hehe omgosh! The desserts are making me drool! ๐Ÿ˜› I never like stuff with mint flavour- they always remind me of toothpaste!!! HAHA

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 11:51 am Reply

hahaha same here LOL i don’t really like mint ice-cream but i do like peppermint tea hehe ~

9. bakingaddict July 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm Reply

Another brilliant review! The food looks good even the rabbit popcorn which Im not sure I’d be brave enough to try. The desserts of course are the best and I love the Lego block too. If I ever make it to Melbourne, I’ll know exactly where to go just by reading your blog ๐Ÿ™‚ Or I could just ask you to be my tour guide ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 11:53 am Reply

Thanks Ros ๐Ÿ™‚ hope you’re having a fab time in Malaysia ~ i totally love the desserts here and can’t wait to go back! Of course I’ll be your tour guide when you come to Melbourne please make a trip soon ~

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 4, 2012 at 9:33 pm Reply

Damn! I was just in Melbourne and I wish we had gone here! The rabbit popcorn sounds amazing ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 11:53 am Reply

What a shame Lorraine ๐Ÿ˜ฆ doesn’t matter there is always next time ~ put it on your list hehe

11. kellysiew July 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm Reply

Hohoho I don’t think I can eat rabbit anymore because Frank frown upon this. Hopefully I could request for a cauliflower only version. Hahaha! Adding this to list for August!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 11:54 am Reply

Oh damn lol Mr Bao was all for the rabbit I was the one who didnt like it LOL but yeah im sure they can accommodate you ๐Ÿ™‚

12. catty July 4, 2012 at 10:38 pm Reply

How cool is this place? the cauli popcorn and pork belly and mini ice creams.. looks awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2012 at 11:59 am Reply

They have an really interesting menu hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ love it ~ when you come to Melbourne and if we can meet up i’ll bring you here ๐Ÿ˜€

13. liannelow July 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm Reply

This place is definitely on my to-go list! hehe im pretty sure the mr will love the pork belly! hehe thanks for sharing dearie! great review once again! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 6, 2012 at 9:43 am Reply

You’ve definitely gotta go soon ๐Ÿ™‚ i can’t wait to go to all of Paul Mathsis’s cafes/restaurants lol all his places are so interesting ~ So glad you liked the review xoxo

14. penny aka jeroxie July 5, 2012 at 10:31 pm Reply

I have been reading this on Melbourne blogs. Need to visit!

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 6, 2012 at 3:18 am Reply

This place sounds fantastic – Rabbit and Cauliflower Popcorn with garlic aioli (WOW!) and those pork belly….drool. All the dessert looks delicious too! The bill in lego blocks is creative. Are those glue together? My son will probably recreate lego by the time waiter come back to pick up the bill. lol.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 6, 2012 at 9:46 am Reply

Hello Nami ๐Ÿ™‚ I thought the rabbit and cauliflower popcorn was really creative too ~ Mr Bao wants to go back just for it lol the lego block isn’t glued so I’m sure most kiddies will have fun with it lol

16. gourmetgetaway July 6, 2012 at 8:58 am Reply

The meal looks seriously delicious! I live the idea of mixing up the rabbit with the cauliflower so that diners don’t know what they will be getting! The whole meal looks absolutely delicious, thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 6, 2012 at 10:53 am Reply

It was sure an amazing meal ๐Ÿ™‚ We probably ate too much again hehe ๐Ÿ˜› I can’t believe i’m saying this but i can’t wait to go back and eat more ‘rabbit’! Never thought that’ll happen to me lol

17. Julie July 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm Reply

omg i need pork belly.. I am so scared to try rabbit. They are just too cute to be eaten ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm Reply

Hahaha I was born in the rabbit year and even though I agree rabbits are really cute there use to be too many where my parents house were so they kinda for annoying hahaha ๐Ÿ™‚ maybe ask for a vegetarian one again?

18. April July 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm Reply

Hey I like what you did to your blog for iPad! It didn’t work well for trying to leave comments though so I had to switch back to npyournstand site.

I really enjoyed the Sharing House though the large menu can be a bit daunting especially since everything sounds good! Good idea to go with those things that people have recommended!

You make me want to go back again!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm Reply

Hello April! I m sorry that you had trouble with commenting on the iPad do you think I should switch that function off?!? ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for the feed back ~

I definitely think you should go back I wanna go back and try their pizzas and all their other desserts hehe yay!!!

19. Peach Water July 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm Reply

Great Post Daisy!

You’re lucky that they made some changes to their pork belly! They actually sliced the pork belly up and is definitely a much smaller piece! You should have seen mine in real life. You could have died!

And yes the cauliflower & rabbit popcorn is the best! ๐Ÿ˜€

Love
    Peach Water

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 7, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reply

Hey Jan ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Thanks for this sweet comment ~ Yeah i think they changed the roast pork belly because it was cut up and definitely not as big ๐Ÿ™‚ But thanks for warning me ๐Ÿ˜€

I’ve already booked to go back to The Sharing House WOO HOO!

YAY Can’t wait!

20. Rita (mademoiselle dรฉlicieuse) July 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm Reply

So this is where the test tube rack ice-cream is from! Love the little touches including the Lego/Duplo bill “tray” at the end of the meal haha.

21. daveshuffles October 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm Reply

I love baked Camembert – it looks amazing here. The Sharing House nail it.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 7:31 pm Reply

Couldn’t agree more ~ did you have the popcorn rabbit? it’s so delicious!

• daveshuffles October 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reply

No, I didn’t. I went for a set menu evening so wasn’t an option. Was incredible though.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm Reply

Oh damn ๐Ÿ™‚ but i’m sure everything else was delicious did you get to try some of the desserts too?