Celebrations – Coco Patisserie

Thank you so much to everyone who left a kind comment in my last post 🙂 I really appreciate every single one of them! I’m going to try my best and work hard in the next stage of my life ~ would also like to say a HUGE thank you to the food blogging community, everyone is just so nice and friendly, I’m so glad to be part of this community ~

Now to celebrate my graduation, I have gone on a massive dessert rampage lol I have had desserts and cake for lunch 3 days in a row. That means no salad, no sandwich and basically no savoury food and just DESSERTS 🙂 I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate! As Bryan described it very accurately ‘Living up to my blog name’ ~

Coco Patisserie at The Mira Hotel

Nice comfy chairs ~

Had heard good things about Coco Patisserie at The Mira Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, so I immediately suggested it when my friends wanted to catch up 🙂

My idea was to just order all the cakes they had ~ but…my friends weren’t that keen on just having ‘desserts’…so I compromised and we ordered some savoury dishes and lots of cakes.

Prawn Bisque $90HKD ($11AUD) +10% service charge

I persuaded them to have something less filling so I thought soup was a great idea 😛 We ordered the Prawn Bisque, but it wasn’t very good, in fact I swear it tasted like it was something out of a can and if it wasn’t out of a can…I’m totally disappointed. It was simply too sour and salty to be a soup made from scratch. You would expect more from a 5 star hotel 😦

All Day American Breakfast $130HKD ($16AUD) +10% service charge

The next dish we ordered was the All Day American Breakfast, nothing spectacular really, and instead of bacon, they gave us some ham , which was a little weird to me. Pretty good value though considering it was at a hotel and most big breakfast costs this much at a nice cafe ~

Now to the desserts 😀

What should I get? 😛

They didn’t really have a large selection, only 5 cakes and 3 cupcakes ~ but that made it worse, because I simply wanted one of everything 😛

Cupcakes $32HKD($4AUD) each +10% service charge

I read in an article, that Coco Patisserie’s cupcakes were amongst the top 10 best cupcakes in HK 🙂 So I was super excited about trying their cupcakes.

Let us eat cake ~

After some serious thinking we finally decided to get 3 cakes and 2 cupcakes 🙂

Left - Chocolate Addict cupcake Right - Mango Velvet cupcake

The one on the left is a Chocolate Addict cupcake which is a chocolate cupcake with crispy chocolate bits inside and instead of icing, it was topped with dark chocolate ganache. I really liked this cupcake, finally after all this time looking for good cupcakes! I finally found a decent MOIST cupcake 😀 YAY! The one on the right is a Mango Velvet, I think it’s supposed to be a Red Velvet cupcake topped with mango whipped cream and fresh mango pieces. It didn’t taste like a Red Velvet cupcake, more like a vanilla cupcake but I really liked how they put fresh mangoes inside the cupcake too ~ However, I didn’t like the mango cream, I would have preferred some buttercream icing. I’ve realised patisseries in HK don’t really use buttercream icing, probably because people here think it’s too sweet ~

Lemoncello $36HKD ($4.5AUD) +10% service charge

I’m a fan of lemon tart so I had to try this Lemoncello, which is a lemon tart with a lime marshmallow. There were a few issues with this tart 😦 firstly, they laid a thin layer of vanilla sponge cake in the chocolate tart case before topping it with lemon curd. I thought the sponge cake component was unnecessary and kind of ruined the tart. Secondly, the lemon curd just wasn’t tangy enough, very bland. The marshmallow was quite nice though and definitely homemade 🙂

Raspberry Chic $36HKD ($4.5AUD) +10% service charge

This was Coco’s take on a New York cheesecake with a raspberry and sweet basil dressing on top. Mr T and I like cheesecakes ~ especially those that are really rich and filling, but this one wasn’t any of these things 😦 It was rubbery and tasteless…neither of us could taste the cheese. However, we both liked the chocolate cookie base ~ it’s quite sad when we like the cake base more than the cake.

Or Noir $36HKD ($4.5AUD) +10% service charge

This was the Or Noir, never heard of this kind of cake hehe ~ It’s a chocolate sponge cake at the bottom, then a dark chocolate mousse and then the whole thing is covered in white chocolate mousse with Cointreau liquor. The little round cylinder has little crispy chocolate pebbles ~ I don’t really like mousse cakes but this was quite nice 🙂

The verdict? A nice place to have afternoon tea and service is great ~ but my suggestion is stick to having desserts and definitely try their cupcakes ~

Coco Patisserie
Ground Level Lobby
118 Nathan Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui,
Kowloon, Hong Kong
尖沙咀彌敦道118號The Mira大堂
PH: 852 2368 1111

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “Celebrations – Coco Patisserie

1. Cupcake Crazy Gem March 13, 2012 at 11:46 pm Reply

Congrats on graduating!! so excited for you and a little envious…I would like to be done with mine too already! In fact I’m procrastinating writing an essay right now by leaving this comment! haha. Your 3 days of desserts sounds great! I love the sound of the mango velvet and so glad you finally found a moist cupcake in HK! That’s a shame the Lemoncello tart wasn’t great but lime marshmallow – yum!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2012 at 1:15 am Reply

Thank you so much Gem 🙂 Ohh are you studying now? What are you studying? I actually really enjoyed studying hehe I was always a bit of a nerd and writing essays never really bothered me but I didn’t like studying for exams ~

And i’m SO relieved finally a MOIST cupcake hahaha is it really that much to ask for? Just want something that doesn’t taste like ‘cardboard’ hahaha ~

I find it hard to find good lemon tarts too 😦 dunno why but they’re either too tangy or not tangy at all, but doesn’t matter I still enjoyed having cake for lunch!

2. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 14, 2012 at 2:41 am Reply

Congratulations on your graduation, Daisy! That’s so exciting that you’re moving on to another big chapter in life. Best of luck with all else you decide to pursue!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2012 at 4:22 am Reply

Thank you Georgia 🙂 I’m quite nervous about starting full time work for the first time but hopefully with all the support that I get from everyone here ~ I should be right!

3. cakeboule March 14, 2012 at 7:13 am Reply

Congrats on the Graduation – hope your dreams come true. Mine just did looking and all those beautiful cakes so I have to settle for making my own. You do go to the most amazing places! I have never set foot in a place like that. Drools..

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2012 at 2:21 pm Reply

Thank you 🙂 Need to work hard for the next stage now ~ You make so many amazing cakes 🙂 I find you need to go to poshy places in HK to get good cake ~

4. Madeline (@ Thursday Night Baking) March 14, 2012 at 7:14 am Reply

Wow, those desserts are BEAUTIFUL! They look like they should be in a museum or something. Too perfect to eat.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2012 at 2:24 pm Reply

I totally agree Madeline 🙂 they did very well with decorating the cakes ~ but i didn’t like the cheesecake or the lemoncello >_<

5. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals March 14, 2012 at 8:28 am Reply

Daisy how do you stay so fit after eating all these delicious sweets? I am amazed at how beautiful all the items look, and all the varieties of yummy food they have available, this makes me want to visit Hong Kong real soon!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply

Hahaha that’s such a compliment Jeno but it’s not true! I’ve been gaining weight but I can’t help it hehe and I had a really good excuse to ‘celebrate’ and eat 😀 You’ve gotta come soon ~ you’ll have an amazing time ~

6. Pasta Princess March 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm Reply

Congratulations Daisy! How exciting to be starting a new chapter of your life! Those sweets look amazing … yes, you do go to the coolest places!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm Reply

Thank you so glad it’s all over 🙂 I am willing to go anywhere for good cake hehe ~

7. Hotly Spiced March 14, 2012 at 2:42 pm Reply

I think you should be able to celebrate finishing your degree in any way you like and desserts are a great reward for such a huge effort. I do love the look of that dessert that looks like a Christmas Pudding but all of them are perfect little works of art!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 15, 2012 at 3:11 am Reply

Thanks Charlie 🙂 I love the support from everyone to eat all the cake I want hahaha but i don’t think my waist line likes me very much lately hehe ~ it’s amazing how pretty cakes can look!

8. Rice Bowl Tales March 14, 2012 at 2:57 pm Reply

Yes, I want to ask you the same question too! How did you manage to stay so fit when you have such a sweet tooth! I only need to take one look at a cake and will automatically put 2lb weight on haha! Having said that, cupcakes are always my downfall, I love making and eating them. Oooh, those chocolate addict & mango velvet look so delicious!!
    Many congrats again on your graduation 😀

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 15, 2012 at 3:15 am Reply

Hahaha it’s not true I don’t stay fit and was never fit to start off with! But i have such a great excuse to just let go and eat cake that I’ve forgotten about calories and weight hahaha Mr Bao’s not around so I don’t need to ‘order’ savoury foods hehe I can just eat dessert for lunch~

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm Reply

Glad to hear that the cupcakes are nice and moist. Interesting that they don’t cover them with the icing (which keeps the cake moist) and that the top is more exposed.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 15, 2012 at 3:17 am Reply

I know Lorraine it’s so different from the cupcakes I’m use to having 🙂 I think it all comes down to the ‘sweetness’. HK people can’t stand the richness and sweetness of buttercream icing ~

10. FreeSpiritEater March 15, 2012 at 12:08 am Reply

Congratulations on your graduation!! I wish you the best on all your new endeavors! All the desserts look stunning. Thanks for sharing your experience, congrats again!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 15, 2012 at 3:22 am Reply

Thank you 🙂 i’m so glad it’s all over and I have so many blessings from everyone here ~ So loved!
      Desserts here are always so pretty but hehe sometimes the simple cakes are nicer in taste 😀

11. Jennifer (Delicieux) (@ledelicieux) March 15, 2012 at 5:03 pm Reply

Wow, everything looks like a work of art. Especially the Or Noir and the Raspberry Chic. Yum, I’d love either of those.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 3:16 am Reply

I totally agree Jennifer 🙂 they’re all so pretty my favourite was the ‘Or Noir’ too ~

12. liannelow March 15, 2012 at 5:34 pm Reply

Wow! Those cupcakes look SO GOOD! Especially the chocolate addict one! Love how passionate you are of your desserts (: Can’t wait to read about your other sweet posts!

oh yes! Congrats on your graduation by the way! hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 16, 2012 at 3:18 am Reply

Thanks Lianne 🙂 I read from your blog that you studied at Monash too! Have you finished yet? Its funny my friend went from Monash to Deakin to do her Master of Education and you did the opposite 😛

I’m definitely passionate and a little crazy about desserts lol I can just eat desserts all day LONG 😀 So glad you like reading about them ~

• liannelow March 16, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reply

haha what a small world aye? (: hehe everyone is doing their degrees in all these unis! It’s nice to know someone who is as crazy as food and desserts as I am! (:

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:08 am Reply

Hahaha that’s true 🙂 there’s not many uni’s in Melbourne hehe i’m totally obsessed ~ lets go dessert hunting some time 😀

13. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm Reply

One after another you are testing delicious sweets. I want your life Daisy! After turning 35, no matter how much I try to reduce the amount of food or dessert, I just can’t get rid of the fat. I should have ate more sweets when I was younger… just kidding. =P Thanks for sharing very pretty desserts!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2012 at 1:10 am Reply

Hahaha thanks Nami 🙂 but I also need to exercise to make sure I don’t turn into a balloon hehe I wish I was a talented cook like you ~ and don’t deprive yourself! You’ve still gotta eat some sweets 😛