New Place – Ariel Le Cafe

Taking all my lovely readers back to Taipei again 😉 It was my last day and my friends had originally planned to take me to Xi Men Ding (西門町), which is like the place to go for teenagers, where they have the latest fashion at really good prices ~ However, because it was pouring with rain… at the last-minute they decided to take me to the newish Q Square shopping centre right next to the Taipei Railway Station. Great location because I had to catch a train to the airport in a couple of hours time.

We just had lunch… but Ariel Le Cafe’s signage caught my eye 😉 and I really wanted to have something sweet, so after some persuasion Cindy and Chi Yao were coerced to have afternoon tea with me YAY!

Being a Thursday afternoon, it was rather quiet, and the waitress quickly let us to a nice quiet table 🙂 However, she wasn’t very pleasant and immediately reminded us that there is a minimum charge of one drink per person and a 90 minute seating time on the weekend. Once again it was an immediate turn-off for me, because it was a weekday yet she had to remind us of the seating time 😦

Loved the natural lighting ~

I really liked the environment of the cafe though, set in the middle of the second floor, it had great natural lighting shining through 🙂 which really helped me take good photos.

Centre piece ~

I also liked this centre piece hanging above the coffee machine 🙂 I don’t think they actually use the cups hehe its just a decoration ~

Iced Tea Latte $150TWD ($4.80AUD)

We all started off with a drink ~ Cindy and I got the Iced Tea Latte. It was the first time I’ve had a ‘tea’ latte, but the weird thing is…there’s no coffee-taste. I find in Taiwan and other Asian places, they call anything drink that is milk-based a ‘latte’ e.g. a Green Tea latte or a Ginger tea latte 🙂 Anyhow, back to my Iced Tea Latte it was surprisingly pleasant 😀 I didn’t know what to expect, but it was a lovely cup of tea, mixed throughly with milk and ice. Very refreshing ~ Definitely something I’d like to make again at home if I could and have it on a hot summer afternoon.

To my dismay, the girls were so full… we only ordered two things to share and try 😦 But doesn’t matter gives me an excuse to drag Mr Bao with me next time ~

Strawberry Waffles $180TWD ($5.8AUD)

I didn’t realise until I did the conversion that the waffles were such a bargain! For $180TWD only $5.8AUD you get 4 waffles and 2 little scoops of ice-cream 🙂 Especially when drinks are $150TWD ($4.8AUD) each! These waffles were so fluffy, light and delicious ~ I haven’t had many good waffles since coming to Asia. The waffles I’ve had are always too ‘dense’ and just too ‘heavy’, if that makes sense. Only issue I had was it lacked syrup lol and there wasn’t enough ice-cream for us to share. So the waffles were a little try towards the end, which was a little disappointing.

Mont Blanc ~

We also ordered the Mont Blanc, but I’m really sorry I forgot how much it cost, think it was around $80 to $100 TWD (approximately $3.50AUD). I’m not really a fan of chestnut desserts, but occasionally I’d order a Mont Blanc too ~ this dessert consisted of a vanilla sponge cake, covered in whipped cream and then chestnut puree covers the whole thing. The chestnut puree was nice and light, and unlike others I’ve had that’s too rich.

Overall, I liked my experience at Ariel Le Cafe and will come back to try their other cakes and maybe some savoury dishes. Q Square is a lovely new place, so if you ever need to take a train at the Taipei Railway Station, go next door to do some shopping and try their cafes and restaurants 😉

Ariel Le Cafe
Q SQUARE, 2 FL
No.1, Cheng De Road, Sec. 1
台北市大同區承德路1段1號2F
PH: (02) 2552-5269

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , ,

29 thoughts on “New Place – Ariel Le Cafe

1. Katherine Martinelli March 11, 2012 at 6:56 am Reply

This place looks great! I love that coffee cup chandelier.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 2:20 am Reply

Hello Katherine 🙂 thanks for dropping by my blog! I’m so sorry it took me so long to approve your comment. It somehow got into my Spam folder ~ I really like the tea cup chandelier too but it must be a hassle to clean hahaha

2. Cakelaw March 11, 2012 at 8:05 am Reply

You go to some amazing places! I want to abscond with the Mont Blanc – it looks fabulous.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:12 am Reply

I didn’t know so many people liked Mont Blanc~ I haven’t seen them on sale much in Melbourne 🙂

3. Michelle C March 11, 2012 at 11:06 am Reply

it seems that in hk, taiwan and japan, posh cafes such as this put more effort in making everything daintier! just look at the latte!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:14 am Reply

Hahhaa i totally agree 🙂 they always spend so much time on ‘presentation’ but not all posh cafes in Asia are nice ~

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm Reply

As a chestnut puree lover I’m swooning over that dessert! It looks like a pear sculpted in ridged chestnut puree! 😀

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:20 am Reply

Have you tried making it yourself Lorraine? I’m sure you’d be able to make it with your baking talents 😉

5. Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) March 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm Reply

Love the coffee cup feature and the look of that Mont Blanc! I love chestnuts and that finely-piped puree has got my name all over it, mmmm…

The reason why anything in milk in it has “latte” attached to the name is because it means milk in Italian! Apparently if you order a latte in Italy you’ll end up with a cup of steamed milk, as opposed to a “caffe latte” haha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:21 am Reply

Hello Rita 😉 Oh gosh i feel so uneducated…I really should have paid more attention in class when I was learning Italian 😛

The tea latte was very good hope I can replicate it at home ~ I honestly didn’t so know so many people liked chestnut hehe

6. Hannah March 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm Reply

ohmyogshohmygoshohmygosh. Mont Blancs are MY FAVOURITE oh my god! I’ve never seen them in Australia, oh how I want chestnut desserts!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:22 am Reply

I know! I’ve never seen them in Melbourne before! Maybe it’s time you made one yourself 😀

7. Hotly Spiced March 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm Reply

I love the light fitting decorated in tea cups! And those straws are very cute. What a great little place. xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:23 am Reply

Hello Charlie 🙂 I really liked the tea cup fitting too ~ Definitely a nice place to relax and chill out with friends! Hope you had a nice weekend!

8. gourmetgetaway March 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm Reply

The cup centre peice is just gorgeous!!

If I were with you we could have tried so many more desserts, I am never full when it comes to sweets 😉

The ice-cream tower in the waffles background looks delicious too!
    …not a fan of bad service though 😦

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:25 am Reply

I wish we were there together!!! I was so upset that we couldn’t have had more desserts 😦 I can basically eat servings of all desserts hahaha

The waffles were good ~ one of the best I’ve had so far…but yeah…unfortunately service wasn’t great…which is always a shame and kinda of surprising because most people in Taiwan are really nice!

9. Rice Bowl Tales March 11, 2012 at 9:15 pm Reply

Oh, I would definitely make room for these plus more too haha! How lovely of those waffles and the Mont Blanc!! I’ve never been to Taipei, I’m jotting down all your recommendations; when I go, they will be on my list :p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:27 am Reply

Ohhh when are you planning to go Jane? I’d love to help you organise 🙂 I always save and make room for dessert lol i never skip dessert hehe

10. Choc Chip Uru March 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm Reply

I wouldn’t eat anything all day and suddenly whoosh! I would eat this all – looks fantastic, what a wonderful food haunt 😀

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 12:49 am Reply

I know what you mean 🙂 I sometimes be really bad and skip breakfast just so I can eat cake for lunch hehe ~

11. starlight March 12, 2012 at 12:51 am Reply

wow, i wish i could taste that montblanc.. nice post 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 2:16 am Reply

Sorry your comment went into my spam folder 🙂 That’s why it took me a while to approve it ~ Thanks for dropping by hope you’ve had a nice weekend!

12. TasteHongKong March 12, 2012 at 2:50 am Reply

Sounds like the foods had made up for the services : ).

13. Fatboo March 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply

It would be a turn-off for me too if they tell me upfront that you MUST buy a drink each and don’tlinger longer than 90 minutes. I see where they’re coming from, though… some customers like to linger for ages and take up table space, meaning the cafe can’t get a flow of customers. What makes the difference is how they tell it to their customers. It all boils down to service, doesn’t it? But glad you still enjoyed the sweets there, definitely living up to your blog title! 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2012 at 6:40 pm Reply

That’s right! It all comes down to service and how they tell us…and I mean they had already had the details printed in BOLD on the menu, so it was quite hard for us to not see it. But somehow they just had to tell us before we sat down 😦 Just didn’t like how they told us ~
      Hahhaa totally living up to my blog name 😛 i do the occasional savoury food review but LOL I still like desserts a lot more

14. cakeboule March 14, 2012 at 7:16 am Reply

I adore the cups centrepiece how unusual! Oh for a bigger house but imagine the dusting !

15. krankenkasse March 15, 2012 at 11:30 am Reply

Thanks

16. […] the one I had at Ariel Le Cafe, the chestnut puree here was delectable and light and I enjoyed eating it ~ but still not my […]