Accordingly Invited – Ritz Carlton MLA Black Box Dinner

Do you remember the MLA Black Box Culinary Challenge, Win Win and I were invited to a few weeks ago? ๐Ÿ™‚ It was definitely an eye-opening experience for me to see so many hotels competing against each other ~ however, because there were so many teams I wasn’t able to try all the dishes. That’s why I was thrilled with Mercury called and said Ritz Carlton would like to invite me and Win Win to their Lobby and Bar Restaurant to taste the menu they created for the competition.

I was super excited because Ritz Carlton was the first runner-up in the challenge and they were the only team that made a carrot cake for the dessert ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice environment ~

It was my first time going to The Lounge and Bar restaurant ~ it had a nice relaxing environment with smoothing music playing in the background. Unfortunately, the weather was quite foggy so we couldn’t really see the view of the harbour which was a shame. We did catch some of the ‘A Symphony of Lights’ย sound and light show that’s on every night ~

Menuย

Appetiser
Lamb in two ways, roasted with plum sauce, pan-fried with X.O sauce with mixed fruit salad

Soup
Broccoli cream soup with crispy cheddar cheese

Main
Braised Waygu beef topside, mashed pumpkin, stuffed mushrooms with red wine sauce

Dessert
Carrot Cake and marshmallow with carrot ginger ice-cream

These are exactly the same dishes that Ritz Carlton used to enter the MLA competition ~ I’m really sorry about the photo quality, it was a pretty dark environment which made it a little difficult to take photos of the food. I promise to practice ๐Ÿ™‚

Bread for starters

We started the meal with a bread basket ๐Ÿ™‚ I wanted to save room for the main and dessert so I only had tried the baguette, while Win Win really enjoyed the round bun which had raisins in it, saying it was really soft and fresh ~

Appetiser - Lamb Two Ways

Even though I’m not really a ‘lamb’ person, I still tried this dish and surprisingly it wasn’t gamey…as a matter of fact, if I didn’t know better I would’ve thought it was just ‘beef’.ย Even Win Win had a bite which is pretty amazing considering the fact she doesn’t eat any lambย ~ having said that the pan-fried lamb using XO sauce had a much stronger ‘lamb’ taste.

Soup came in two parts ~

When the soup came I was a little confused at first and thought it was awfully thick and chunky to be a soup hehe but thankfully, the chef’s came and explained it to us. This was just the base of our soup which is pureed broccoli with a piece of brioche and cheddar cheese ~ yum I really like this combination.

Pouring the soup ~

The second part is when they pour the actual soup ๐Ÿ™‚

All ready ~

I thought the soup was probably the best dish of the menu ๐Ÿ™‚ It had the perfect mix of broccoli and cheese ~ It wasn’t too rich or filling either. I particularly liked the pureed broccoli which gave the soup some more texture. Win Win isn’t a fan of broccoli so she didn’t like it much, you see she’s a very picky eater ๐Ÿ˜›

Braised Wagyu Beef Topside

The chefs were so kind to explain every single dish to us, this wagyu topside was braised for 12 hours. The meat was so soft and tender, you don’t really need to chew it much ๐Ÿ™‚ I liked the red wine sauce too as it wasn’t too overpowering and accentuated the beefs flavour. It may seem a little strange to pair it with some Asian greens ‘choy sum’, but that was the ingredient included in the Black Box, so they intelligently used the choy sum leaves and wrapped it around a piece of mushroom.

Now to my favourite part ๐Ÿ˜€ Dessert!

Carrot Cake with Ginger Ice-cream

The chef (sorry forgot his name) said he wanted to do something different, and that carrot cake wasn’t a common cake you can find in HK. This is very true ~ so far this is only the second carrot cake I’ve had in HK and the other one was at Pret A Manger. I think it’s because HK people associate carrots as being a ‘savoury’ vegetable and not something you can make a dessert out of. The carrot cake was very moist with a nice cream cheese icing ๐Ÿ™‚ However, I think they’ve accommodated it to HK peoples preferences because it wasn’t very sweet ~ But that’s just once again me and my HUGE sweet tooth ๐Ÿ˜› I couldn’t really taste the ginger in the ice-cream, instead it had a nice cinnamon taste to it.

You can check this menu out at The Lounge & Bar from 23rd February to 17th March 2012 for $680HKD($83.20AUD) + 10% service charge per person.

Congratulations!

Overall, it was a very lovely dinner and considering the young chefs only had one hour to come up with this menu and it was their first culinary competition, they have done very well and should be proud of themselves.

Once again would like to say Congratulations to Ritz Carlton for receiving the first runner-up award ๐Ÿ™‚ย and thank you very much for inviting Win Win and myself.

Win Win and Daisy@Nevertoosweet dined as guests of Ritz Carlton Hong Kong and Ringe Marketing.ย

Ritz Carlton Hong Kong
1 Austin West Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong
PH: (852) 2263 2263

Advertisements

Tagged: , , ,

24 thoughts on “Accordingly Invited – Ritz Carlton MLA Black Box Dinner

1. Nic@diningwithastud March 9, 2012 at 11:24 am Reply

That lamb looks fab!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm Reply

I’m not really a fan of lamb so it wasn’t my favourite ~ but it was still nice to try!

2. Hotly Spiced March 9, 2012 at 11:33 am Reply

Wow Daisy, you sure do get invited to some amazing events. I love the sound of that menu. I would have loved to have tried the lamb two-ways. And how good does that carrot cake look!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm Reply

I’m very lucky Charlie ๐Ÿ™‚ to be invited to these events most of the time I’m just so overwhelmed ~ I’m not really a lamb person but i was glad it didn’t taste very gamey! I love carrot cake though hehe Have a great weekend!

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm Reply

I’m jealous! I should be reviewing restaurants instead of cooking so I get to be invited to this kind of restaurants!!! Everything looks great – I love Ritz! โค

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

Hello Nami ๐Ÿ™‚ do you know why I choose to review restaurants instead? It’s because I can’t cook to save my own life!!! I’m not as talented as you or the other great bloggers out there who cook and make the food so AMAZING! You’ve gotta stay at the Ritz when you come to HK ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reply

What a wonderful event to be invited to Daisy! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm Reply

I know Lorraine ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been so lucky and meeting so many amazing people here ~ Have a wonderful weekend!

5. kellysiew March 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm Reply

Liking the Broccoli soup!

6. Rice Bowl Tales March 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm Reply

The rate you’re going, you’re going to be the next ่”ก็€พ no doubt ;p
    I love this menu, so would my husband, particularly the way they cooked the lamb and the beef, oh, the soup and the dessert too! For that price and consider the location, really good value for money ~ can I come next time ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm Reply

Oh you’re making me ‘blush’ Jane! I don’t want to be the next ่”ก็€พ lol maybe someone that’s a bit ‘nicer’ looking!!! They had a lovely menu but I’m not sure if portions are big enough for men, because they were a little on the smaller side ~ If I can I’ll definitely invite you!

7. Yay for carrot cake! ๐Ÿ™‚ Do you find sometimes that the icing makes it seem better than what it actually is? Sometimes I eat a great carrot cake, but realise I only like it because the icing is lovely and sweet…and the cake is however either stale, boring or tough.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 9, 2012 at 10:05 pm Reply

HAHAHA TOTALLY AGRE WITH YOU!!!! I swear great minds think a like! Sometimes i think the cakes great…but then….when I’ve had all of the icing…i realise the cake is just like what you said ‘BORING’ ๐Ÿ˜› then i just leave it ahhaha

8. Mercury March 9, 2012 at 11:18 pm Reply

haha..I am hppy that you enjoy the dinner!!!!

You fianlly can eat teh carrot cake la…happy for you!!

9. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking March 10, 2012 at 3:54 am Reply

What a great sounding experience you must have had at this restaurant! Thanks for sharing. Have a nice weekend!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 10, 2012 at 4:52 am Reply

Thanks for dropping by Georgia ๐Ÿ™‚ It was a wonderful dinner ~ Very honoured to have been invited! Hope you have a great weekend too!

10. Cakelaw March 10, 2012 at 8:03 am Reply

This all looks marvellous – especially the dessert ๐Ÿ˜‰ lucky you.

11. msihua March 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reply

THEY ALL HAVE MEDALS!! Hahahahaha.. it’s definitely an Asian Chef thing I think!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm Reply

Hahaha you’re so right I-hua they weren’t wearing any medals at first but then just before the meal ended they ALL came back with their MEDALS hahahaha

12. FreeSpiritEater March 11, 2012 at 12:22 am Reply

Wow! The competitors created some spectacular dishes. I can’t get over the braised beef dish, it looks to die for! Thank you for sharing your experience, looks like a phenomenal feast =]

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2012 at 2:52 am Reply

Thanks for dropping by Free Sprit Eater ๐Ÿ˜‰ The beef dish was so lovely ~ It was so tender basically melts in your mouth hehe Have a wonderful weekend!