Taipei Only – Unique Dorayaki

As promised this is the first of many Taipei posts to come ๐Ÿ™‚ even though I was only there for 3 days…I was eating 4 big meals and multiple snacks in between ๐Ÿ˜› Taiwan is definitely the place to go for food. They are always so innovative and coming up with new products, that’s why I couldn’t want to share with you these unique and absolutely scrumptious Dorayakis at Kyota Kashiyaki (Website in Chinese).

For those who are not familiar with Dorayaki (ใฉใ‚‰็„ผใ), they are generally two mini pancakes with red bean paste in between them and have been popularised by Doraemon as a matter of fact, I know people in Hong Kong call dorayaki “ไธ็•ถ้ค…โ€œ which literally means ‘Doraemon Cookie’ ๐Ÿ™‚ For a great traditional dorayaki recipe check out Nami’s blog ~

Typical dorayakis ~

Source: Wikipedia

Please excuse me for the horrific photo ๐Ÿ˜› I didn’t have any dorayaki’s at home for me to take photos of ~ but the dorayaki’s at Kyoto Kashiyaki are UNIQUE! They are like nothing I’ve had before ๐Ÿ™‚ Here they call their dorayaki’s ‘่“ๅญ็‡’โ€˜, I’m not really sure how to translate without making it sound really weird hehe but they’ve basically taken the concept of a dorayaki and created their own unique version of it. *UPDATE* Thanks to Nami for informing me ๐Ÿ˜‰ ย These are actuallyย ย ไปŠๅท็„ผใ (Imagawayaki) or ๅคงๅˆค็„ผใ (Oobanyaki) and not really Dorayakis ~

Vanilla Custard Dorayaki $15TWD ($50c AUD)

So instead of two pancakes, you get two layers of moist and fluffy cake and in between its filled with delicious custard! Totally DELICIOUS! These have got to be one of the cheapest, yet yummiest warm treats I have found! For only $50 cents AUD, you get yourself a unique dorayaki! I think the picture below will help make more sense to what I’m saying and why they are so unique ๐Ÿ˜€

In the making ๐Ÿ™‚

Source: Wretch

She made it look so effortless ~

I was only there for a short 10 minute but this lady was making their dorayaki non stop and there were always people lining up and waiting ๐Ÿ™‚ She makes it look so effortless to make them.

They offer a wide range of flavours – vanilla flavour with vanilla custard, vanilla flavour with peanut butter, vanilla flavour with strawberries and their best seller which is their chocolate flavoured with a chocolate custard.

So many flavours!

But my ABSOLUTE favourite would have to be the ‘Matcha Flavour with a Vanilla Custard’, I had one then and there and then took 3 home with me ~ now I regret not getting more! They taste just as good after spending 30 seconds in the microwave!

Matcha flavour dorayaki with vanilla custard $15TWD ($50cAUD)

Even looking at it makes my mouth water SO badly! I think the main reason why I like them is because they are so warm and MOIST ๐Ÿ™‚ you all know how much I detest ‘dry’ cakes ~

Need I say more? Hurry up, jump on a plane and fly to Taipei and get your hands on one of these ‘dorayaki’ (่“ๅญ็‡’) ๐Ÿ˜€ and I beg you all! If anyone knows how to ‘replicate’ these dorayaki PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share with me! I’ll even pay for the recipe ๐Ÿ˜›

Kyoto Kashiyaki (ไบฌ้ƒฝ่“ๅญ็‡’๏ผ‰
4 Nanyang St, Jhongjheng District
Taipei City, Taipei
ๅฐๅŒ—ๅธ‚ๅ—ๆฅŠ่ก—4่™Ÿ
Ph: +886 938 599 956 โ€Ž

PS. Would like to say a very SPECIAL thank you to my friends Chi Yao and Cindy for taking me around Taipei and spending two lovely days with me! All the best with job hunting and I can’t wait till we meet again ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo

Advertisements

Tagged: , , ,

32 thoughts on “Taipei Only – Unique Dorayaki

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 1, 2012 at 5:09 am Reply

Aww Daisy, thanks for the link to my Dorayaki recipe! Very sweet of you. ๐Ÿ™‚

I know, Taiwan is a great location for eating eating and EATING! There are so many Japanese or Japanized food too. I think this place cells more like ไปŠๅท็„ผใ (Imagawayaki) or ๅคงๅˆค็„ผใ (Oobanyaki). http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BB%8A%E5%B7%9D%E7%84%BC%E3%81%8D. Maybe the name is too hard to pronounce so it might be well-known for dorayaki (who doesn’t know doraemon in Asia. haha).

I’m so envious you are always traveling (and eating!). I always enjoy reading your dining experience!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 5:16 am Reply

You’re very welcome Nami ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t wait to try your dorayaki recipe ~ I was hoping that you’ll stop by and read this post sometime ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you so much for explaining these to me! So they’re oobanyakis and not really dorayakis ~ I knew I should’ve asked you before I wrote this post ๐Ÿ˜€

I start full time work soon, so I’m trying to travel and eat as much as I can ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. betty March 1, 2012 at 9:13 am Reply

this looks so good i would have definitely picked the matcha one too ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm Reply

I know right ๐Ÿ˜‰ Matcha is the best hehe and I honestly believe it’s good for you because matcha has antioxidant properties ~

3. Asmita March 1, 2012 at 11:41 am Reply

Wow, would love to eat that for sure. Looks so amazing!!!

4. fatboo March 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm Reply

Mmmm mmmmm these pancakes remind me of a type of peanut cake that I can get in Singapore. While I’m not a sweet tooth, I think I’ll like these!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm Reply

I think you’ll really like it ๐Ÿ˜‰ Because the custards not really sweet and the cakes are so moist it basically melts in your mouth!

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm Reply

Ahh these remind me of my time in Japan! And isn’t Nami great? She knows so much about Japanese food.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm Reply

Nami knows so much about Japanese food ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m so glad she read my posts and explained these to me ~ I miss Japan too been a few years since i’ve visited ~

6. Rita (mademoiselle dรฉlicieuse) March 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm Reply

I actually saw a dorayaki stand in Jusco when I was in HK with different flavours on offer. They weren’t made fresh there, but wrapped up individually in plastic. Cheap too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm Reply

Yeah most dorayaki’s are quite cheap and the typical ones can be made ahead of time ๐Ÿ™‚ So it’s great ~ But these are fresh made YUMMY ~

7. Rice Bowl Tales March 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm Reply

So dorayaki originated from Japan๏ผŸThey looked so tasty! I love all kind of stall sold food like that. Will try following Nami’s recipe, thank you for your link ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm Reply

Hello Jane ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes dorayaki originated from Japan, but I think the Taiwanese have added their own little twist to them and according to Nami they’ve made more ไปŠๅท็„ผใ (Imagawayaki) or ๅคงๅˆค็„ผใ (Oobanyaki) thank Dorayaki ๐Ÿ˜€ I still have so much to learn ๐Ÿ™‚

Do give it a try! Nami’s recipes are so easy to follow ~ Let me know how it goes!

8. Ahhh yum! We have some places selling these pancakes in Adelaide. But not for $0.50! Looks like there are a lot more flavours available in Taiwan:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm Reply

I know they’re so cheap hehe Really? I’ve gotta come to Adelaide then! I’m having serious withdrawal symptoms here ~ I hope we have some in Melbourne too!

9. Cakelaw March 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm Reply

I bags the vanilla custard doriyaki – yum!

10. TasteHongKong March 1, 2012 at 11:20 pm Reply

The matcha looks great in your picture!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply

It’s fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚ My favourite flavour hehe I can’t wait to try the other flavours next time i go back ~

11. thehungryartist March 2, 2012 at 12:31 am Reply

Oh my gosh, that looks like a great treat!
    Reminds me of a fish shaped one that I had at a Japanese place — but yours are bigger and the idea of the cream and matcha flavor sounds so amazing and innovative!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2012 at 1:57 am Reply

Thats for coming by my blog ๐Ÿ˜‰ They’re basically the fish shaped cakes but its round~ and the custard is just fantastic!

12. Angie@Angie's Recipes March 2, 2012 at 12:49 am Reply

Love that matcha dorayakis!

13. Simply Fahad-istic! (@PharaohKhan) March 2, 2012 at 4:17 am Reply

You know,I love these kind of blog posts! ๐Ÿ™‚ It is wonderful when Food Bloggers blog beyond recipes.It is wonderful when they blog about their eating experiences,review restaurants and talk about food from also a traveler’s,not just eater’s point of view.
    So I know ‘Matcha flavor with vanilla custard’ is your favorite,but that picture of ‘Vanilla custard dorayaki’ is screaming ‘Eat Me!’!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 3, 2012 at 2:07 am Reply

You are always so nice PharoahKhan ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m glad you enjoyed reading this post ~ I was a little embarrassed when i got the dorayaki’s mixed up hehe and I still a beginner at baking so I’m glad I’m able to share my other food and travel adventures with you guys ~

The matcha and vanilla custard are just SO SO SO delicious! Hope you get to try for yourself soon ~

14. Hotly Spiced March 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm Reply

These look very interesting. I have not heard of these before. They sound delicious. I love the look of the green ones.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 3, 2012 at 2:12 am Reply

There’s not many of these in Australia, occasionally some Japanese restaurants may serve the typical dorayakis ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Hannah March 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm Reply

Oh my gosh, I abosolutely love dorayaki!! So obsessed with any red bean desserts, and when I was in Japan I bought *everything* I saw that combined matcha and red bean ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 3, 2012 at 2:12 am Reply

*High Five* Hannah! I Love the matcha and red bean combination too~ that’s the only time I like red beans hahaha i’m so weird ๐Ÿ˜›

16. Christina @ The Hungry Australian March 2, 2012 at 8:27 pm Reply

Yum! I love the red bean ones although I think the peanut butter ones are my absolute favourites ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 3, 2012 at 2:13 am Reply

I didn’t get the try those two flavours but I’ve gotta try next time i go back ๐Ÿ˜‰ They had too many flavours and I was hooked onto the matcha vanilla custard one hehe ~