Cupcake Search – Kisses Cupcakes

I wrote a Cupcakes Wars post “Crumbs VS Magnolia” a few weeks ago, and since coming back from NYC, I have been reminiscing the amazing cupcakes I had at Crumbs 🙂 So I decided to go on a Cupcake Search in HK, that’s when I found Kisses Cupcakes that recently opened in the Soho area.

So on a sunny afternoon, Mr Bao found himself outside a very pink store, he was a little puzzled as I didn’t tell him we were going to have afternoon tea with Win Win at this new cupcake store 😛 I can be such a bossy girlfriend just dragging Mr Bao everywhere I go ~

Nice pink shop front 😉

The blurred face is Win Win LOL she wants to stay ‘unrecognised’, so to respect her I’ve blurred the picture hehe 🙂 The store was painted in a bright orangey pink colour, which immediately attracted me ~

Bright and clean store ~

It was a small store, with a couple of tables for customers to enjoy the cupcakes and a cup of coffee. The lady behind the counter was really nice and told me that they’ve only been open 6 weeks and they are from New York City and work with Chikalicious  (dessert bar) to create their cupcakes 🙂

6 pack $145HKD ($17.50AUD)

We got a 6 pack and chose the following flavours – Almond, Triple Chocolate, S’mores, Strawberry, Red Velvet and Mocha ~ They have a wide range of flavours and some unique ones such as lychee and Ferrero Rocher (which had sold out that day).

Almond and Mocha Cupcake $25HKD ($3AUD) each

Almonds are one of my favourite type of nuts, and I hadn’t come across many almond flavoured cupcakes, so was interested to try. It was a simple butter cupcakes flavoured with almond extract and topped with vanilla buttercream and toasted almond flakes. I like the topping but found the cupcake itself to be a little dry and bland, I would have preferred a stronger almond flavour. The mocha cupcake on the right didn’t give us the ‘wow’ factor, once again the cake itself was dry and I simply couldn’t taste the chocolate or coffee flavour… the butter cream was also a weird consistency, in between runny and creamy.

Triple Chocolate $25HKD ($3AUD)

Very much the same with the triple chocolate, but this time the cupcake wasn’t as dry, because of the ganache they’ve put inside the cupcake ~ Mr Bao and I liked this cupcake, while Win Win said the “chocolate flavours not strong enough”.

Ganache inside was nice ~

I still can’t quite describe their buttercream… it’s a very unique texture… I don’t think I’ve had this type of buttercream before, it’s very watery and felt like it needed some more icing sugar to thicken it and made it a little sweeter ~ or maybe that’s just me and my HUGE sweet tooth 🙂

Red Velvet $25HKD($3AUD)

As you may know, I have a thing for Red Velvet cupcakes…but this was by far the worse cupcake out of them all. The cupcake was the driest, you could barely taste the vanilla and cocoa flavour, and the worse was the buttercream, not only the was texture strange…you couldn’t taste any cream cheese in the frosting! So that was a major disappointment 😦

I’m sorry, but, I don’t think I’ll be going back to Kisses Cupcakes anytime soon…mainly because of the dry cake but most importantly the buttercream.

With that my search for the best cupcake in HK continues ~ my lovely readers if you have any suggestions please let me know!

Kisses Cupcakes
G/F, 24 Gough Street , Central
中環歌賦街24號地下
PH:2489 9899

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , ,

33 thoughts on “Cupcake Search – Kisses Cupcakes

1. Cupcake Crazy Gem February 18, 2012 at 5:16 am Reply

Oh how disappointing! it sounded so promising what with the owners being from New York! I was excited to read about how it was, but there is nothing worse than dry cupcakes! I hope you continue your hunt! I told you my sister might be moving to HK and I like to always find cool places for her wherever she goes so I had come across this place http://www.siftdesserts.com/ they have a huge cupcake menu and their flavours sound tasty, might be worth checking them out 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 18, 2012 at 5:22 am Reply

Hello Gem 🙂 I know it was SUCH a disappointment >_< I'm definitely going to check sift desserts out~ they're definitely on my list and I can't wait to go 😀 but because its kind of out of my way…I've gotta drag my sister to go with me sometime ~ Thanks for the recommendation!

When does your sister find out? I'm so excited for her!!!

2. bakingaddict February 18, 2012 at 9:47 am Reply

I agree with Gem. So disappointing! There’s nothing worse than a bad cupcake… ok I know there is but you know what I mean! I am going to go on a cupcake binge on my holidays 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2012 at 5:30 am Reply

I agree….bad cupcakes are the worse, because to me I don’t think they’re that hard to make…I mean they’re not as hard as macarons and I mean I don’t expect them all to be ‘Crumbs’ standards but 😛 at least better than this 😦 hope you get to eat some better cupcakes than me!

3. Hotly Spiced February 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm Reply

It’s a shame about those cupcakes but I don’t think any nation can cook cupcakes better than the USA.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2012 at 5:31 am Reply

I couldn’t agree with you more Charlie! But then and again I think we have some decent ones in melbourne too like Little cupcakes are my favourite hehe any good cupcake stores in NSW? 😀

4. Hannah February 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm Reply

Ick, this doesn’t do much to change my mind about not being interested in cupcakes! 😛

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2012 at 5:32 am Reply

Hahaha you’re not interested in cupcakes Hannah? 😛 How can that be possible hahaha i’m in love with all desserts, pastries and cakes but they have to be good ~

5. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg February 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm Reply

Oh:( This is a probem I incur often with cupcakes and muffins. They look so good but the taste is nowhere as good as their appearance! Always ends in disappointment.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2012 at 5:32 am Reply

Yes yes yes! That is SO SO SO true! I hate it…i mean they look so pretty and dainty…then once i bite into it…it’s really bad 😦 i seriously DETEST dry cupcakes lol

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm Reply

That chocolate one costs $25HKD??? o my…that’s EXPENSIVE.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2012 at 5:33 am Reply

Is that expensive? Because other cakes from good patisseries are like $35HKD or even $50HKD so i thought it was quite reasonable in terms of price…but it just wasn’t my type of cupcake >_<

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm Reply

Sounds like a really mixed bag of cupcakes. What a shame the red velvet wasn’t as magnificent as you wanted. I always order those too 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2012 at 5:38 am Reply

Definitely disappointing when the cupcakes are good especially when it’s the usual all type favourite flavours 😦 Need to continue with me search for cupcakes 😛

8. msihua February 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm Reply

That’s a lot of cupcakes! I always go for red velvets but BOO!!!! Boo to not nice cupcakes 😛

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 20, 2012 at 1:53 am Reply

I know I-hua! I love red velvet but it’s just so disappointing when they don’t turn out the way u expected them to >_<

9. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake February 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm Reply

Did you just recently change to your own url? Because I can finally access your site in Beijing! 😀 Although WordPress is still blocked so I can’t view any of your photos. 😦 I’m so sad!! I want to see those lovely sounding cupcakes…although shame that they didn’t taste as good…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 20, 2012 at 1:55 am Reply

Hey Jenny 🙂 Yeah i recently got my own domain YAY~ It was a small birthday present to myself lol i finally dropped ‘wordpress’ in my URL woo hoo~ So happy that you’re still following my blog! Sighhh i was so disappointed with the cupcakes 😦 doesn’t matter my search continues! I’m sure I’ll find some better ones soon ~

10. Flick Your Food February 20, 2012 at 12:15 am Reply

thats ashame about the cupcakes. I try to stick to my fav places as there are lots of new cupcake places opening up and I find it ruins my day if I get a bad cupcake

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 20, 2012 at 1:58 am Reply

I know what you mean ~ But i’m always happy to give new players a shot, just disappointing when they don’t meet expectations >_<

• Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen February 21, 2012 at 3:48 am Reply

I know what you mean, you always get so excited and then it isn’t at all what you thought it would be :/ That’s good that you still try new places outside of what you know, sometimes they can surprise you!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 21, 2012 at 3:50 am Reply

That’s so true 🙂 I’m always happy to try new places and give them a chance ~ I’m also very forgiving hahaha if they’re willing to improve on their buttercream I’ll probably try again ~

11. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen February 21, 2012 at 3:46 am Reply

Yum this place looks good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 21, 2012 at 3:49 am Reply

Thanks for dropping by Kristi 🙂 Unfortunately the cupcakes weren’t as good as they looked ~

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 21, 2012 at 9:26 am Reply

Hm, sorry to hear this place wasn’t good overall. It’s hard to find one that’s perfect to your liking. Maybe that’s why everyone try to figure out their own recipes? I’m not a baker so I have to rely on good pastry shops to sell me delicious cupcakes! 😉

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 6:28 am Reply

Sorry Nami just realised you left a comment on this post 😉 I think that’s absolutely right that’s the reason why people create their own recipes ~ because we all have our own personal preferences hehe ;D

13. betty February 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm Reply

i love cupcakes and i especially have my eye on the ganache filled chocolate one 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 6:27 am Reply

Sorry just saw this comment 🙂 The one with the ganache was a bit better, but i still would have preferred a cupcake that was ‘moist’ ~ Thanks for dropping by my blog!

14. Nic@diningwithastud February 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm Reply

That ganache looks wicked 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 6:28 am Reply

Hello Nic 😉 Sorry I just saw your comment, the ganache wasn’t too bad, but the buttercream was just weird to me ~

15. Daniel March 1, 2012 at 6:22 am Reply

tried their cupcakes .. it tasted good though. theirs weren’t too sweet and the buttercream on top just melts in your mouth .. unlike other cupcake chains where they use icing (eg. sift). i guess different people has different taste opinions! ^^ just my 2 cents worth of opinion~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2012 at 6:25 am Reply

Hello Daniel 🙂
      Thanks for dropping by and I value your opinion ~ I know what you mean by they’re not sweet and that the buttercream melts in your mouth ~ But I think I just have a massive Sweet Tooth hahaha and just not use to the icing they have ~ I think tastes and preferences are so personal hehe my friend thinks one of my favourite patisserie isn’t that good either 🙂

16. cercalicious September 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm Reply

I totally agree! In fact I reviewed them as well: http://cercalicious.wordpress.com/2013/09/29/kisses-cupcakes-review/

and on my blog when I tried crumbs and magnolia it was exactly the same!!
    SIFT AND COMPLETE DEELITE FTW!