Brewed in HK – 18 Grams

YAY! I have found another good place for coffee in Hong Kong – 18 Grams ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve noticed lately more coffee shops and cafes have popped open on the Kowloon side where I live, which is great!

I haven’t been able to find much information about 18 Grams, it kinda intrigues me why they have called their shop 18 Grams and not 28 Grams? Hmmm…I don’t really know much about coffee-making but does 18 grams have any significance to making a good cup of coffee?

Anyhow, I do know 18 Grams is a local company and their barista Ed Lam had recently won at Coffee Roasting Competition held in Guangzhou. They now have 3 stores across HK – Causeway Bay, Mongkok and Tsim Sha Tsui ~ but Mong Kok is their largest store and probably the most comfortable ~

Is that Ed?

I’ve heard good things about 18 Grams so on a nice sunny afternoon, I dragged Sasa out of bed at 1pm lol early for our standards and got there at around 2pm. The cafe was basically empty, and were told we can sit where ever we wanted ~ they didn’t give us a menu but had a large menu next to the cash register, where you ordered and paid.

Starving ~

Neither of us had breakfast so we were starving! My Anonymous Sis has a saying “A hungry man is an angry man” hahaha I swear I was an angry girl. Thankfully the food came out piping hot within 10 minutes ๐Ÿ˜€

Aussie Breakfast $98HKD ($12AUD)

I consider myself a true Aussie ~ I love Vegemite, Pavlova and BBQs so when I saw the Aussie Breakfast I just had to order it! It’s basically the ‘Big Breakfast’ we call in Australia, with scrambled eggs, baked beans, sausages, bacon, tomatoes, baked beans and toast ~ The scrambled eggs were cooked nicely, where it was that great smooth consistency.The sausages were a little ‘gamy’ for my liking but Sasa thought they were okay and the bacon just wasn’t what I’m use …I find the bacon here is like a cross between ham and bacon ๐Ÿ˜›

Eggs Benedict $72HKD ($8.7AUD)

Sasa loves poached eggs so without a doubt, she got the Eggs Benedict ~ the muffins were lightly toasted, topped with gammon ham, spinach, poached eggs and finished with hollandaise sauce. I tried it and thought it was pretty good ๐Ÿ™‚ I can be quite picky about hollandaise sauce but I enjoyed theirs as it had a good balance of butter and lemon.

Mocha $32HKD ($3.8AUD)

I wouldn’t call myself an avid coffee drinker because most of the time I just drink Mocha hahaha But I know what mochas make me smile ~ and this definitely did ๐Ÿ™‚ The coffee had a fantastic aroma and the barista mixed it with the appropriate amount of chocolate, to ensure that it wasn’t overpowering the coffee or vice versa. Yummy ~ I might go back on Monday haven’t had good coffees in the past week or so ๐Ÿ˜›

Ice Caffe Mocha $34HKD ($4.1AUD)

Sasa ordered the Ice Caffe Mocha tasted like mine, however, the chocolate and coffee wasn’t really mixed thoroughly so it was like the chocolate was at the bottom, then the coffee, then the milk. Both good but I think I enjoyed my mocha a little more ๐Ÿ™‚

They also have a range of desserts such as homemade tiramisu, New York Cheesecake and their Not Quite Brownie “Brownie” which I’d love to try next time ~

18 Grams is definitely a great place to hang out with friends, especially since food is nice and ย reasonably priced. Plus an added bonus would be the fact that they don’t have a 10% service charge like most places in HK woo hoo!

Do check it out when you have the chance and if you find out why they’re called 18 Grams please let me know!

I also need to say Goodbye to Sasa my foodie partner ๐Ÿ˜ฆ because she recently found a job and will be working full-time from now on ๐Ÿ™‚ Guess we wont be having many 2pm brunches but all the best with your new job and I’ll just have lunch with you like normal people do at 12:30pm ~

18 Grams – Mong Kok
Shop B04, B/F, Gala Place,
56 Dundas Street,ย Mong Kok

ๆ—บ่ง’็™ปๆ‰“ๅฃซ่ก—56่™Ÿๅฎถๆจ‚ๅŠๅœฐๅบซB04่™Ÿ่ˆ–
Ph:2770 1339ย

Advertisements

Tagged: , , ,

26 thoughts on “Brewed in HK – 18 Grams

1. Glamorous Glutton February 13, 2012 at 4:29 am Reply

I could be wrong but I think the 18g is the amount of coffee needed to brew a single espresso. Mr Glam and I often go out for coffee or breakfast at weekends. It is so relaxing. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 4:46 am Reply

Really? That makes a lot of sense if that’s the reason why they’ve named their cafe 18 grams ๐Ÿ™‚ I love going out for brunch and coffee dates with Mr Bao too ~

• Tazza di Luna February 13, 2012 at 5:30 am Reply

Proper dose for one shot is 7-9 grams and double shot should be 14-18 grams.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reply

That’s probably why! Thank you so much for telling me ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve checked out your blog! You definitely know a lot about coffee ~

• Tazza di Luna February 14, 2012 at 11:59 pm Reply

No problem. And thanks, but I still have a lot to learn. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 15, 2012 at 4:51 am Reply

I’m a total amateur compared to you ๐Ÿ˜› Hope you don’t mind if I annoy you again for coffee answers ~

• Tazza di Luna February 16, 2012 at 12:08 am Reply

Sure thing. Not annoying at all.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2012 at 3:13 am Reply

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ I have a post about a cafe that i was invited to go coming out soon ~ you might be interested in their coffee too ~

2. Jill | Dulce Dough February 13, 2012 at 5:15 am Reply

Looks like an awesome coffee shop–how cool you could get an Aussie Breakfast there!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 8:20 pm Reply

It’s a great little shop and best part is that they don’t have a service fee and they don’t pressure you to leave ๐Ÿ™‚ my friend and I were there for over 4 hours ~ I miss Australia ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Norma Chang February 13, 2012 at 6:05 am Reply

That Aussie breakfast looks delicious and satisfying, my kind of breakfast. I too am amazed that you can order an Aussie breakfast in HK.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm Reply

I was pretty happy when I found an Aussie breakfast here in HK too ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Fatbooo February 13, 2012 at 6:53 am Reply

I use an 18g filter basket to make my shots of coffee at home! ๐Ÿ™‚ these days many coffee places use bigger filter baskets like 18g so that the coffee tastes better (richer?).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 8:23 pm Reply

I’m kinda proud of myself ๐Ÿ˜› I guessed that 18 grams has something to do with making coffee ~ I didn’t know that places are using bigger filter baskets gosh…I really don’t know much about coffee ~

5. Claire @ Claire K Creations February 13, 2012 at 9:45 am Reply

I’m definitely the angry girl when I haven’t been fed! I love that they had an Aussie breakfast and that’s a rather creative way of presenting sausages. It would be great to cut them like this before you cook them. It would make them extra crispy.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 14, 2012 at 2:30 am Reply

Same here ๐Ÿ™‚ But i’m extra cranky when I don’t get dessert ๐Ÿ˜› I never thought about cutting sausages like that either ~ cuz they were too ‘gamy’ for me I just didn’t like it much

6. Hotly Spiced February 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reply

They’re not wrong – that’s definitely a big breakfast. I do love Eggs Benedict but I agree with you – that’s definitely funny looking bacon, or is it ham!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 8:16 pm Reply

I love big breakfasts even though I hardly finish all of the food LOL i wish they had a mini breakfast with smaller portions of everything ๐Ÿ˜›

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm Reply

Hehe I didn’t know that the big breakfast was a really Australian thing but I love them too! ๐Ÿ˜€ It is massive though!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 8:16 pm Reply

I did some research and I think the big breakfast derives from Britain but we don’t usually have the black pudding like they do ๐Ÿ™‚

8. msihua February 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm Reply

How long are you in HK for? You seem to have been there for ages!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm Reply

LOL it’s been 3 months now ๐Ÿ˜› i’m here till march so a little while longer ~

9. Christine's Recipes February 13, 2012 at 11:01 pm Reply

Hey, you still had Aussie brekkie in HK?
    Seems that they offered cheaper price than here. Very nice.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 14, 2012 at 2:31 am Reply

Hello Christine ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for dropping by my blog ~ I miss Australia that’s why I got the Aussie breakfast hehe and it was definitely cheap! Only $9AUD for an eggs benedict ๐Ÿ˜€

10. bakingaddict February 16, 2012 at 10:51 am Reply

We have big breakfast here in UK – probably originated from here ๐Ÿ™‚ It looks good and the coffees look good too ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2012 at 4:22 pm Reply

I did my little wikipedia check and YUP ๐Ÿ™‚ Big breakfast is from the UK hehe do you guys have it much over there? ~ Coffee was definitely better than average!