New In Town – Holly Brown

Hong Kong is definitely a place to be for all kinds of food and shopping, but since coming here, I simply haven’t been able to find a decent cup of coffee. That’s why I’m SUPER excited to introduce you all to the newest coffee and gelato joint in town *Drum Rolls Please* – Holly Brown!

Very briefly, Holly Brown is the creation of Italian coffee master Domenic Spadaccin, who wishes to accentuate the current coffee scene and deliver top notch coffee to everyone in HK. Not only do they specialise in coffee, they also have an array of desserts such as gelato, waffles, honey toast and yoghurt.

I’ve already visited twice in a week so I’ll be combining my visits in this review 🙂

Let’s start with the coffee ~

Caffe Mocha $40HKD ($5AUD)

First of all it’s definitely a nice looking cup of mocha, best looking one I’ve seen so far and as for the taste, had a nice blend of coffee and chocolate, I hate it where some places put too much chocolate and not enough coffee or vice versa, so well done to the barista 🙂 Even though, this wasn’t the best mocha, it was definitely the best one I’ve had in HK!

Now to the desserts 🙂

I’ve noticed it’s become a trend to have ice-cream where goodies are ‘smashed’ into them ~ Mr Bao and I already experienced this last time we were at Cafe Kool and now Holly Brown ~ but it’s so much more extravagant here where the gelato is in served a freshly baked waffle basket.

Smashing our gelato ~

All the goodies they 'smash' into the gelato

First visit with my best friend Sasa, a night where we left the boys at home and enjoyed a quiet girls night out!

First Visit - Mochalicious and Gemmy Pop Medium $52HKD ($6.5AUD)

Sasa got the Mochalicious – coffee gelato, chocolate chips, Orea and chocolate sauce VERY nice! Probably because I like desserts with Orea just a heavenly good combo! I got the Gemmy Pop (white one in the back) which had milk gelato, almonds and chocolate chips. I absolutely love anything with caramel and almonds so this was designed for me! And the milk ice-cream was unique and a nice change from good old vanilla ice-cream 😀 two thumbs up from me!
Unfortunately, the waffle basket wasn’t that fresh on my first visit…a lot better the second time when I went to another store ~

Then on my second visit, I took Mr Bao and his friend Mr G ~

Second Visit - Miss Sunshine Large $56HKD ($7AUD)

Usually I get to choose what we get but this time…I lost the argument and we got Mr Bao’s favourite strawberry flavoured ice-cream… to me bad strawberry flavoured ice-cream tastes like cough syrup but this was surprisingly pleasant ~ Miss Sunshine was a smash of strawberry gelato, strawberry, banana and pie crust! I particularly liked the pie crust throughout the ice-cream 🙂 Not something I’d order again, but for other strawberry-lovers this is a must try!

Nice looking coffee machines!

They have some pretty complicated coffee machine on display, not sure how it works, but I’m just happy to get a decent cup of coffee out of it 🙂

Definitely recommend Holly Brown for anyone else who’s in HK and having coffee withdrawal symptom or simply go and try their ‘smashing’ good gelato!

Holly Brown (Click for other store addresses)
G19, Ground Floor,
K11, 18 Hanoi Road,
Tsim Sha Tsui. Kowloon
Tel: (852) 3122 4016

Ps. I just realised ‘New in Town – Holly Brown’ kinda rhymes!!! 😀

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , ,

24 thoughts on “New In Town – Holly Brown

1. bakingaddict January 8, 2012 at 5:33 am Reply

Glad you found some good coffee. I’m more interested in the gelato! I love the mochalicious! I’ve never seen goodies smashed into gelato before. Maybe it’s not a trend in London or I’ve missed it! I have been in hibernation for a while ;P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reply

I know so so so happy about the coffee 🙂 hahaha I’m sure London will catch up with this trend soon! The gelato is VERY nice indeed ~ So glad you’ve finished now you can relax and get back to baking hehe

2. Jill | Dulce Dough January 8, 2012 at 9:36 am Reply

Sounds like a great place! Those waffle baskets are the perfect way to serve ice cream/gelato! Looks sooo yummy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm Reply

The waffle baskets were great but i couldn’t finish the whole thing after having so much gelato 🙂

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm Reply

I love ice cream in waffle cones-I sometimes used to just buy the waffle cones by themselves dipped in chocolate! 😛

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2012 at 7:59 pm Reply

Hahaha that’s a good idea 🙂 I might try that next time cuz sometimes I find I’m full from the ice-cream and end up throwing the cone away ~

4. Gerald Englebretsen January 8, 2012 at 3:14 pm Reply

Always good to sort out a good coffee!! Strange how after living in Australia where we take the proliferation of reasonable coffee very much for granted .. you travel overseas and often have huge trouble finding anything remotely beyond Starbucks!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm Reply

I totally agree… I was always complaining about Gloria Jeans but right now I’m never going to complain about them! They have pretty decent coffee compared to the coffee I’ve been getting over here ~

5. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg January 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm Reply

A very pretty drink! Crazy yummy icecream combinations = fun:)

6. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake January 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm Reply

The coffee looks really nice! I’m dying for one right now, haven’t had enough sleep in the last few days 😦

This place totally looks like Cold Rock in Melbourne with the mix ins and mixing the ice cream on the stone bench! Love it. 🙂

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 9, 2012 at 2:42 am Reply

Oh that’s not good being sleep deprived 😦 have you been working too hard?

I don’t think i’ve ever gone to a Cold Rock before back home, I hear my friends talk about it and I always see it at trade shows but I’ve never actually been 🙂

7. hotlyspiced January 9, 2012 at 10:36 am Reply

People always say to me, ‘You can’t get good coffee in Hong Kong’. I’ll have to let them know times have changed. I love the look of that yummy ice cream in the waffle cone. One of those right now would be fabulous.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 9, 2012 at 11:05 pm Reply

Hahha it’s so true there’s not a lot of good coffee here ~ but it’s good with this new cafe opened now and i’m usually go there for the ice-cream 🙂

8. gourmetgetaway January 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm Reply

Good coffee is the most important thing for me when I travel. I just can’t start the day without a nice cup. Pleased that someone has filled the gap in the market in HK.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 9, 2012 at 11:20 pm Reply

Same here 🙂 it’s a bit better than that I don’t have to work..but when I’m working i’m on at least one or two coffees a day~

9. Shabs January 10, 2012 at 6:09 am Reply

Ooooh , that waffle and gelato look incredibly delish !!! Thank you Daisy for visiting my blog and for the lovely comments 😀 , I really appreciate it .

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 10, 2012 at 6:15 am Reply

You’re very welcome Shabs 🙂 I really hope you’re feeling better now! Take care!

10. Cupcake Crazy Gem January 10, 2012 at 9:27 am Reply

Ahh I’m so jealous, that place really looks like Cold Stone Creamery from The States and I love it there! I can’t believe Hong Kong got a fake Cold Stone before we did here in England, man we’re so behind with the times!!! Your strawberry ice cream sounded super tasty, even if it wasn’t your first choice 😉 and usually I am always baking by myself late at night too! so I made the most of having my sister to bake with over Christmas break! but it’s back to the solo baking now…and she was really good at doing all the washing up too – I’ll miss that for sure!

11. Iron Chef Shellie January 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm Reply

Damn! so much deliciousness I’m missing out on!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm Reply

There s so many new places in Hk Shellie you ve gotta come soon ~

12. Hannah January 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm Reply

Oh my gosh, they smash up your favourite flavours and ingredients?! Too exciting! 😀

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm Reply

Yeah it’s really good and you can choose what you want in it too hehe the weirdest thing to put in your Ice cream will have to be gummy bears that’s all cold and hard in the gelato ~

13. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 12, 2012 at 6:09 pm Reply

Arhhhhh…. I wish I have a bowl of their gelato! I love waffle cup. I always ask for waffle cone/cup. I wish I controlled the amount of food so that I don’t have to be on diet! This is torturing! lol. 🙂