ONE day LEFT till it’s OFFICIALLY Christmas!!! I am so thrilled it’s been a bit of a wait hehe I’d like to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS with their significant other, family and friends!!!
I wanted to share with you, my very first recipe post – “Gingerbread Men” it’s the very first time I’ve made them…I’m not really a fan of gingerbread men so I was a little worried that they wouldn’t turn out the way I wanted them to…but thanks to the Baking Addict’s wonderful recipe and Sasa’s (my bestfriend) help the cookies turned out perfectly!!
Even though they look and taste perfect, I’ve gotta work on my decorating skills hahaha i didn’t seem to be able to draw the facial features properly grrrr so i ended up wrapping them up without any decorations and gave it to my family as a Xmas gift ~ they didn’t seem to mind that some were so ugly family love is so forgiving
Recipe: Gingerbread Men
Adapted from The Baking Addict
Makes: Approximately 24 gingerbread men (depending on the size of the cookie cutter)
125g Unsalted Butter (softened)
110 Dark Brown Sugar
2.5 Cups Plain flour (sifted)
1 Egg yolk
1 tsb Bi-carb Soda
4 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
270ml Golden Syrup
(Note: Baking Addicts recipe asks for 2 tsp of mixed spice, I didn’t have any at home so I just used what I had
- Preheat oven to 160C/320F
- Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in a bowl until smooth
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until mixed properly
- You may need to add a little more golden syrup if the mixture is crumbly or too dry
- Knead the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to approximately 5mm in thickness.
- Cut shapes using cookie cutters (or templates for the gingerbread house)
- Place on a baking tray and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until they are brown (a little hard to tell because the doughs a brown colour)
- Cool on a rack until cookies harden
- Decorate the cookies anyway you want
Please visit the Baking Addict’s blog at http://themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.com for more recipes and baking tips! She’s my number one supporter and I’d like to say a HUGE thank you to the Baking Addict for all the encouragement!
What do you have planned for Christmas? Family gatherings or spending time with friends? Would love to know how everyone else is celebrating this special day ~ Mr Bao and I have a tradition, where we spend Christmas eve together without any family or friends and have a nice dinner for two😀
Have a wonderful day!!
PS. I promise this is the last time you will see blurry, low quality and unprofessional photos on this blog because as an early Xmas pressie to myself, I finally got a new camera the Olympus EPL3 YAY!!!