HK Heartthrob – Daniel’s Monster Sushi

Sorry guys, was going to continue with the Tassie posts, but I was quite annoyed after having dinner here and really wanted the opportunity to vent 🙂 so please bear with me!

I’m pretty sure most Asian (or Caucasians) will know who Daniel Wu (吳彥祖) is. He’s basically the best looking, intelligent and practically perfect man in Asia *drools*

I chose this pic for a reason 😛

Image Source: Asian Pop Corn

Don’t worry this is still a food blog hehe 😉 Why I wanted to introduce you to Daniel Wu is because apart from his films and ads, Daniel has now ventured into the food industry by opening a chain of sushi restaurants in Hong Kong – Monster Sushi. I did some research and there seems to be another Monster Sushi chain of restaurants in the US, but I don’t think they’re connected.

Mr Bao, Ms QQ and I had dinner at the Tsim Sha Tsui branch the other night, because Ms QQ was visiting from Malaysia and she really wanted to try the authentic Japanese food in HK. I don’t know when it started but Honkie people are obsessed (Mr Bao included) with food and everything from Japan. So HK is known to have pretty good quality Japanese food with some Honkie influences hehe.

I’ve heard good things about Monster Sushi and thought it would be a good place to bring Ms QQ… but I was so utterly disappointed…

Looks better than it tastes

We ordered a variety of sushi – salmon, tuna, unagi, salmon roe, sea urchin and soft shell crab 🙂 the lighting was pretty bad so I wasn’t able to take very good pictures.

And even though the sushi may look good…it really didn’t taste that good…the rice was very cold (too cold for my liking) and very hard! It was obvious the rice had been cooked way ahead in time and must have been kept in the fridge and it wasn’t thawed properly before it was used 😦

Then the other disappointment were their fried goodies, the batter was too thick and you bite into it, all we could taste was the floury batter 😦 and the seafood didn’t feel very fresh… none of us got sick or anything but we couldn’t taste the sweetness, fresh seafood offers.

I nearly forgot we ordered their signature ‘Monster Sushi roll’

Monster Sushi

It cost $39 HKD (approx $5aAUD) for one little piece… it was basically, a piece of raw scallop cut into half to make it look bigger, scorched with blow torch for a few seconds and then topped it with some mango, roe and spring onions… it’s supposed to resemble a monster… and even though Mr Bao argued that it does look like a monster…i just thought it was an ugly looking piece of sushi hahaha

The only dish that I really liked (ordered 2 cuz I was starving) was the crab salad ~ it had a generous amount of roe and crab meat and was a good mix with the cucumber and japanese mayonnaise.

Crab Salad

But overall, we didn’t like the food there and it was quite expensive for the quality of food we were getting…for three people we paid $240HK (approx $30 AUD) each which is quite expensive for sushi in HK 😦

I wouldn’t recommend anyone going unless you have a discount coupon or you don’t have a choice, because there are too many other good sushi places in HK ~

Too bad Daniel’s sushis wasn’t as handsome or “tasty” as he is 😛

Shop 302, 3/F
iSquare Shopping Mall
63 Nathan Rd
Tsim Sha Tsui

(3樓302號舖
63號iSQUARE 國際廣場
尖沙咀彌敦道)

Advertisements

Tagged: , ,

20 thoughts on “HK Heartthrob – Daniel’s Monster Sushi

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 17, 2011 at 9:12 pm Reply

Oh what a shame that the sushi was such a disappointment. I guess having a famous name attached to it doesn’t mean that the food is going to be good.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 18, 2011 at 12:56 am Reply

That’s very true! And i guess…he’s not really an expert in Sushi and probably has other partners who are should know more about sushi-making…either way big disappointment but doesn’t matter there are better places for sushi 🙂

• Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm Reply

Psst Daisy! I don’t know if you had a look but you did win something on the To Market To Market 😉 But you need to contact me with your address details so that we can send it out to you!

2. Gourmet Chick December 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm Reply

I loved the Japanese food in Hong Kong but I agree that is ugly looking sushi.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 20, 2011 at 1:07 am Reply

I totally agreed there s better options out there! So I m not coming back ~ thx for the comment 😉

3. Lucy @ Lucyeats December 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm Reply

Aw, it’s a shame that the sushi didn’t live up to your expectations. They certainly look good though..

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 20, 2011 at 1:06 am Reply

Yeah I know and I was so excited about trying sigh doesn’t matter 😉

4. msihua December 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm Reply

I love him. That is all. HAHAHAHA…

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 19, 2011 at 2:25 am Reply

Hi Daisy! I guess you are in Taiwan now (thanks for the kind comment!). I am not very familiar with the hot Asian guys (including new Japanese guys) anymore but he’s a good looking one! It’s too bad that his restaurant is not so good. I guess he’s too busy to manage the quality of restaurant himself. Thanks for the honest review. It’s important that his fans do the research before going to the restaurant! 😉

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 20, 2011 at 1:05 am Reply

Hello Nami!!!
      Yup yup I m in Taiwan Kaosiuong right now and totally loving every second of it!! Which part of Taiwan were you visiting? I ve come here quite and few times but I never get sick of it! They always have new things and new street food 😉

Thanks for coming by and commenting! I wasn’t sure if my review was a little harsh, but I think people should know my honest opinion 😉 and I don’t want others to be disappointed like I was ~ but I m not going to blame Daniel lol he s too handsome to be wrong hahaha

If you re still in Taiwan I hope you have a great trip! 😉

6. bakingaddict December 21, 2011 at 12:59 am Reply

I’ve never heard of Daniel Wu before but he does look dishy! It’s a shame the sushi was not up to standard. I love Japanese food and the photos certainly looked good. It’s worse when you have high expectations or bringing someone else to try as the pressure is on. I’m sure you’re enjoying lots of yummy food in Taiwain now.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 21, 2011 at 5:26 am Reply

Hahaha he’s too hot so I’ve forgiven him 🙂 I just feel bad cuz my friend loves Japanese food and I’ve been bragging about our Japanese food in HK lol doesn’t matter I’ve had a great time in Taiwan hehe ~

7. Winston December 21, 2011 at 1:00 am Reply

OH EXCUSE ME, I’m sorry! For a minute there I didn’t realise that this was actually a food blog from that picture ahhaha! JKJKJK… I LOVE going to Tsim Sha Tsui when I’m in HK! Such a great place to be, the vibrance and buzz just gets to me. Something interesting in every nook and corner. Anyway, really sorry to hear this place didn’t work for you. Nothing’s worse than cold sushi… UGH. Hope you have better luck with Jap in the rest of your trip! =D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 21, 2011 at 5:28 am Reply

HAHAHAHA I had to choose a ‘SAUCY’ picture and especially for those who don’t know him lol it’ll help them imagine who this ‘perfect guy’ is hehe Tsim Sha Tsui is great for food! There’s still so many places i’ve gotta try out and the shopping hahaha i never manage to go there without buying anything hehe it’s both a heaven and hell for me ~ I’ve gotta explore some other Japanese restaurants with Mr Bao hehe do you like Japanese food too?? 🙂

8. Faith December 21, 2011 at 7:01 am Reply

Oh no, sorry to hear the food was such a disappointment! I’m glad the crab salad was good at least…I guess that’s something, lol!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 21, 2011 at 11:55 pm Reply

Exactly at least the salad was good 🙂 Do you have any plans for xmas?

9. Maya December 22, 2011 at 10:08 am Reply

I guess I enjoyed Daniel’s photo more than you enjoyed his sushi! Who knows, if the sushi was served on that six-pack, it would taste more delicious? Haha.. Thanks for sharing your honest opinions, as always!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 22, 2011 at 10:46 pm Reply

Hahhaha I like the idea of being served on the six pack 🙂 not sure what Mr Bao would think of that though hahhaha I’m so happy to give everyone my opinion!!!