Hong Kong Special – Kung Wo Sweet Beancurd

I’ve done a few posts on Beechworth, so today I wanted to change the whole scene and talk about Hong Kong ๐Ÿ™‚

Why Hong Kong you’re asking? First all because I’m currently in Hong Kong ~ visiting family and friends so I’ve been exploring the food scene in here lately ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s so different here than back home…they’ve got all this street food and snacks that we simply don’t have…but then I’m having serious coffee and cafe breakfast withdrawals! I still haven’t found a good place to have coffee here sigh…if anyone who’s come to HK before and know of a good place for coffee please leave me a comment!

Anyhow getting on with the blog ~ I wanted to give you guys a review and recommendation of “Kung Wo Dou Bun Chong” (ๅ…ฌๅ’Œ่ณๅ“ๅป ) in Kowloon City for more information about the location please go to the Open Rice Page which is the Hong Kong version of Urbanspoon.

Source: Open Riceย

As you can see it’s a very old and traditional shop where my mum tells me they haven’t changed or renovated for the past 35 years! And an interesting fact is… she went to primary school with the owner of this shop ๐Ÿ™‚ She said her friend use to brag about it at school that she got to eat sweet beancurd for breakfast HAHAHA ~

I don’t know if many of you know what sweet beancurd is or tofu far (่ฑ†่…่Šฑ) but it’s basically a very soft pudding-like tofu in sweet rock sugar syrup. It is a very traditional Chinese dessert and I’ve grown up eating it at Chinese restaurants when we go out for Yum Cha and whenever I come back to Hong Kong I always have to come to Kung Wo Dou Bun Chong.

The Most Original Sweet Beancurd

You can have the sweet beancurd cold or hot, I always go for the cold just because I think it tastes better, but others have told me the hot is better because the soy flavour is more intense. Kung Wo has the best sweet beancurd because it is so SILKY and SMOOTH it’s incredible how it kinda melts in your mouth! If you have the sweet beancurd at the yum cha places in Melbourne…they don’t make it with real soybeans, a family friend who works at a Chinese restaurant once told me that they simply use the prepackaged powdered tofu and add water to it ๐Ÿ˜ฆ but I have serious cravings for tofu far nd will eat the faux sweet beancurd to ease the craving hehe

Sesame Sweet Beancurd ~

On the weekends you’re able to get the special which is a ‘Sesame Sweet Beancurd’ the sesame taste is really subtle that you can’t really taste it, which was a little bit disappointing but nonetheless I still LOVE the soft texture hehe

They’ve also good these tofu-related snacks ๐Ÿ™‚

A variety of snacks ~

Mr Bao ordered us a plate of mixed snacks ๐Ÿ™‚ he got us a pan fried tofu with a minced fish topping, green pepper and eggplant also stuffed with minced fish and on the right Chinese Turnip Cake another favourite of mine!

The best part is everything is under $15 HKD which is around $2.50 AUD!!! Definitely a winner ๐Ÿ™‚

Kung Wo Dou Bun Chong (ๅ…ฌๅ’Œ่ณๅ“ๅป )
67 Fuk Lo Tsun Rd (ไน้พๅŸŽ็ฆไฝฌๆ‘้“67่™Ÿ)
Kowloon City
Hong Kong

Ps. If you need any directions please get in touch with me and I’ll try to help you out!

Advertisements

Tagged: , , ,

18 thoughts on “Hong Kong Special – Kung Wo Sweet Beancurd

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 6, 2011 at 9:35 am Reply

How fantastic! My husband is mad for sweet tofu, we joke that he is in fact Chinese because he loves it so much.

• flower127 December 7, 2011 at 1:57 am Reply

Hahaha really? What nationality is he again? Have you tried making it at home? ๐Ÿ™‚

2. kellysiew December 7, 2011 at 2:16 am Reply

Wow I’m now craving for tau fu fa!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 7, 2011 at 2:17 am Reply

It’s really good! Definitely go try if you get the chance to ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Faith December 7, 2011 at 7:41 am Reply

Thanks so much for stoppingy by my blog and leaving that sweet comment! I’ve never had sweet beancurd but it sounds delicious and I’m intrigued — I need to try it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm Reply

No you’re very welcome about stopping by your blog ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m gonna be coming back to your blog very frequently hehe thanks for coming to my blog too! I’m very new at all this ~

4. Winston December 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm Reply

Lovely! I can’t think of a better way to spend my time in HK than at a small, humble establishment like this and tasting their local delicacies. Good snack combo what with a bowl of “tau fu fa” and some fried snacks to share. So glad you get to enjoy so much of HK foodie goodness! I miss the “siu ngor bei” aka “roasted goose leg” SO much… ULTIMATE FAVE!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 8, 2011 at 2:52 am Reply

Me too! I love the nice restaurants and all but sometimes the old places are the best! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love all the street food in HK like the curry fishballs and the chinese egg waffle things ~ hahaha have you tried a placed called Yu Gei in Hong Kong their ”Siu Ngor” is the BEST!!!!

5. penny aka jeroxie December 8, 2011 at 10:01 am Reply

I love soft and sweet beancurd. We make them at home. really yummy

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm Reply

Me too! Wow you make it at home? May I ask what recipe do you use? ~

6. cat December 8, 2011 at 11:51 am Reply

i love LOVE LOVE eating in HK! So much good food on the cheap! Enjoy your trip ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm Reply

Yeah i’m totally enjoying my time here ๐Ÿ™‚ I went to the BEST patisserie today will hopefully post a blog about it tonight ~

7. April@myfoodtrail December 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm Reply

I’ve never seen the black sesame tofu before! I will definitely look out for it!

I love the cheap and good food available in HK! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2011 at 4:45 am Reply

Thanks April ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll definitely enjoy my holiday here been eating like crazy and so much that i”d love to post about but still haven’t had the chance too cuz i’m too busy stuffing my face with food hahaha

Definitely try the black sesame tofu if you’ve never tried ๐Ÿ™‚

8. EatPlayShop December 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm Reply

Oooh, I’ve never tried Black Sesame Tofu, looks so intriguing. Melbourne definitely lack choices in terms of dessert specialty eateries. Enjoy all the sweet choices in Hong Kong!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment ๐Ÿ™‚ Yeah i know! The only place that really offers special desserts in Melbourne would be Monga Dessert Lounge but they’re not that great either and it’s quite expensive ๐Ÿ˜ฆ thanks i’m having a blast!

9. jok3r133 December 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm Reply

Cool; on my list for next time I’m in HK ๐Ÿ™‚

10. […] very lucky because there’s an amazing store that sells Tofu Far, Kung Wo Dou Bun which I’ve blogged about ~ It quite sad because I haven’t found tofu far that I really […]