Bright and Early – De Mad Hatter

“Time is my biggest enemy right now!” this is what I’ve been telling everyone lately. You see My Dearest Readers, I know we have 24 hours a day, but I honestly don’t have enough time to do everything I want or see everyone I want to either! It’s now worse because of the World Cup, I’ve never been a fan but this year, not sure what’s gotten into me, Mr Bao and I have been making silly bets with each other and we’re both staying up or waking up extra early the watch the matches :D Are you watching the World Cup?

De Mad Hatter

Anyhow, I’m not sure if you remember my friend/colleague Yue. We use to work in the same team, but I’ve since moved on and we’re not longer at the same building so it’s made catching up a little harder. So a couple of weeks ago, we decided it was getting ridiculous we haven’t caught up for so long, so we both work up at the crack of dawn (not really) and met up for breakfast at 7am :) I was invited to the De Mad Hatter breakfast event a week ago, however, was stuck at work so Ashleigh from Harvey Publicity was kind enough to organise another breakfast for me and a friend ~

De Mad Hatter

For those who work in the Docklands area, I’m sure you would’ve seen the cafe and probably had coffee here before, Vincent the owner told me that they were one of the first cafes to open in the area. It is adjacent to Collins Square the business building where Mr Colilins, Long Shot and Bar Nacional all reside in ~

De Mad Hatter

I picked Yue up on the way and we arrived just before 7am, parking was actually easier than I thought and it was only a short walk ~ we we greeted by a lovely waitress and asked to sit where ever we wanted. She then came and handed us the menu and took our coffee order. I think she’s use to business people who are rushing before work as she moves quickly :) The menu here covers a good range from the porridge, pancakes, eggs Benedict through to the corn fritters.

Latte $4

Latte $4

Yue and I both ordered a latte, and I made sure I asked for a strong one, as I knew I was going to crash if I didn’t get enough caffeine haaha :P I love the triple heart lattle art here, the coffee was slightly on the warm side but had good fruity aromas.

DMH Signature 2 fried eggs, chorizo, oven baked cheesy tortilla and topped with fresh tomato and bean salsa $13.50

A very Mexican inspired breakfast for Yue, he chose the DMH Signature with 2 fried eggs, chorizo, oven baked cheesy tortilla, topped with tomato and bean salsa. He’s knows me well enough now, that camera eats first and I will always get a bite of his meal :P And it was lovely, a heavier dish which is great for brunch, I particularly liked the fresh salsa made in store.

Rabbit’s Breaky with smashed avocado, ricotta cheese, poached eggs on thick sourdough toast $12.5

Rabbit’s Breaky with smashed avocado, ricotta cheese, poached eggs on thick sourdough toast plus a side of sausage $12.5

Yue laughed at my choice, because it was so healthy I also added a side of sausage to make it less vegetarian and that’s the kind of breakfast that I like :) I save my naughty calories for cakes and sweets. I really like the combination of the ricotta cheese and smashed avocado it feels lighter than the feta and avocado combo most cafes use.

Muffins and caramel slice

Muffins and caramel slice

After our breakfast I asked our waitress what sweets she had, and she recommended the muffins that were freshly made every morning. I had trouble deciding what I wanted, so she kindly offered to surprise us and bring us a plate to share. I just didn’t expect so much! We got a selection of muffins, banana chocolate, chocolate coconut, raspberry white chocolate and caramel slice. It’s been a while since I’ve had a good caramel slice with a generous caramel layer.

Chocolate and Banana muffin

Chocolate and Banana muffin

The chocolate and banana muffin would have to be my favourite, slightly warm and still fluffy inside. My only suggestion would be to have some Nutella with it next time, but that’s just me :P

Camera shy Yue

Camera shy Yue

Camera shy Yue wouldn’t let me take a head-on shot of him and post him on the blog :P So here’s the view the back and side of his face ~ We had a great time catching up and we both agreed De Mad Hatter servers wonderful wholesome breakfast and muffins. Prices are also very reasonable for a cafe in the area and I’d love to have a cafe this down at my office, I’m stuck with cafeteria food and instant coffee :(

De Mad Hatter on Urbanspoon

Daisy@Nevertoosweet and Yue dined as guests of De Mad Hatter and Harvey Publicity

Tagged: , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Bright and Early – De Mad Hatter

1. andy1076 June 18, 2014 at 9:03 am Reply

Cute cafe and wow so many yums :)

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 18, 2014 at 10:29 am Reply

What a cute place. And yes we need to find more time in the day! I wish I were one of those people that only needed a few hour’s sleep a night!

3. Nessy Eater June 18, 2014 at 5:41 pm Reply

Loving the muffins and caramel slices :D

4. hotlyspiced June 18, 2014 at 7:51 pm Reply

I can’t believe Yue wouldn’t let his photo be on your blog! Anyway, tell him it was lovely seeing the back of his head. I know what you mean by feeling like there’s not enough hours in the day. I always wish that between 10 and 2 we had a couple of extra hours – those are my most productive hours. I’m glad you had a good time with Yue xx

5. Choc Chip Uru June 18, 2014 at 10:02 pm Reply

You actually get the best invites, I am so jealous! Loving your photos my desserts radar is off the train! :D

6. Sarah June 18, 2014 at 10:46 pm Reply

Wow, the Docklands is really getting better all the time! The Rabbit’s breaky looks so good – good choice Daisy!

7. Helen | Grab Your Fork June 19, 2014 at 1:22 am Reply

Ha I’m the same. I’d much rather have a healthy main and then feel better about ordering dessert! And World Cup always play havoc with our sleep doesn’t it!

8. Keren June 19, 2014 at 10:23 am Reply

What a nice way to start a work day, despite the early start :)

9. Hannah June 19, 2014 at 10:37 am Reply

Haha, welcome to being an adult. Never, ever enough time in the day. But hey, at least we can have dessert whenever we want.

10. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) June 19, 2014 at 3:02 pm Reply

“Rabbit’s Breaky” is a cute and funny name! In that case, I’m a rabbit ‘coz I want this dish!

Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

11. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) June 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm Reply

Oh, BTW I have a “sweet and chocolatey” competition up on my site I think you might like ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm Reply

Ohhh no I only just saw this comment, and i’m sure i’ve missed the dead line but thanks for thinking of me!

12. msihua (@msihua) June 22, 2014 at 2:59 pm Reply

You guys are crazy waking up so early for football. I never knew you were that type of girl :P This sounds like a cute cafe :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2014 at 6:21 pm Reply

Hahaha I never was THAT kind of girl but recently I’ve gotten really into it :P

13. milkteaxx July 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm Reply

i dont have enough time regardless if world cup or not! but i always have time to eat haha!

14. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) July 5, 2014 at 10:37 am Reply

Gaaaassshhh, check out that yolk drip! Love the name of this place

15. Bam's Kitchen July 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm Reply

Just love that shot of the egg dripping off the sides of that delicious dish. How do you always get such beautiful photos in the darkness of the restaurants? Great shots! So looking forward to seeing you this week. Take Care, BAM

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm Reply

Thank you so much :) it wasn’t a very darks spot where we sat so we were lucky in that sense and definitely looking forward to meeting you in person!