Hydrangea Cottage and Stefano Cafe Bakery – Mildura Part 1

As promised my Dearest Readers :) I’m sharing with you part one of our Mildura weekend away, work has been absolutely insane, leaving me no time to do what I love most and that’s blogging but I’ve managed to squeeze some time out because we had such an amazing time.

Mildura trip

Mr Bao and I have traveled quite a bit together, however, this was Cupcake’s first trip and he was going to go on the plane with us! I was actually quite nervous because I’ve never had a done before let alone organise his plane ride, fortunately it turned out to be rather simple and Virgin Airlines was really helpful. I won’t go into too much detail but if you would like to know more, please feel free to drop me an email :)

Mildura

After a short one hour flight we have arrived in Mildura! Oh yes before I forget, for overseas Readers Mildura is a rural city on the boarder of New South Wales and Victoria, it is known for their local produce especially oranges, wine and of course FOOD! That’s one of the main reasons why we decided to visit ~  I was so happy to see the blue skies as we walked onto to the tarmac.

Perfect Weather!

We picked up our rental car, punched the address of the house were staying into the GPS and off we went. We were welcomed by more perfect weather, this photo has not been filtered or edited in any way, I love the reflection of the blue skies in the Murray River ~

Hydrangea Cottage

Source: Hydrangea Cottage

This is our home for the next 4 days, a self-contained two bedroom cottage only a short 5 minute drive from the city centre of Mildura. Once again, I wasn’t sure if it was going to be difficult to find pet-friendly accommodation, so I was glad when Hydrangea Cottages allowed dogs to stay and also inside the house. The pets are not allowed on sofa or beds as it is hard to remove pet hair, but there is a large pet sofa right outside the toilet. The cottage had everything we asked for, clean bedsheets, tidy kitchen, TV in lounge room. But what really impressed us was the bowls and toys for dogs. Our only complaint was the house only had heating in the lounge room, and our room was a little cold at night. Electric blankets were provided yet I think it would’v been better if there was a portable heater available.

Stefano Cafe Bakery

After settling in, we were all feeling a little hungry so off we went to our first food stop! I did some research and knew Stefano De Pieri was the name in Mildura ~ we managed to go to all his food outlets but missed out trying the food at the Mildura Brewery at least we got some nice beers.

Stefano cafe bakery

With Cupcake with us, we decided to take a seat outside, but you can see that the restaurant is rather spacious inside. The weather was still lovely with blue skies, but it was a little chilly and probably colder than I expected. Because I was told by friends who have lived in Mildura before that it was supposed to be warmer than Melbourne.

Latte $ 3.8

Latte $ 3.8

When travelling I can never go without my 3 essentials and that’s my sunnies, coffee and camera (which I was obviously using to take this photo :P). I forgot to ask what coffee they use here but I’m going to make a wild guess and think it’s Genovese because I’m sure I’ve had this coffee before, it was probably a tad too warm for our liking but great full bodied flavour.

Beef cheek lasagne with salad $16.90

Beef cheek lasagne with salad $16.90

I chose the beef cheek lasagne as I felt like something comforting, it came in a small Tapas bowl and served with a little garden salad on the side. Between the lasagne sheets was a thick Bachemel sauce sandwiched with slow cooked beef cheek and topped with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese.

Beef Cheek Lasagne

The beef cheek was cooked until it’s so tender, flavours were wonderful and definitely filled me up. While Mr Bao said that the serving size was a little small and slightly cold, however, this may because we were sitting outside and I took my time taking photos ~ Either way great idea to use beef cheek as the meat inside a lasagne.

Pulled pork burger with coleslaw and sweet potato chips $23

Pulled pork burger with coleslaw and sweet potato chips $23

Mr Bao chose the pulled pork burger with coleslaw inside and sweet potato chips on the side. The brioche bun was lightly toasted, with the soft pulled pork. I found it wasn’t as tender as the beef cheeks, and lacked a little seasoning. The sweet potatoes were a favourite of ours, it was the thick cut type with the soft centre. We did find it to be a little overpriced for a small burger at $23.

Cupcake

I think Cupcake wanted a bite of the burger too hahaha but too bad puppies can’t eat human food. I nearly gave in to those eyes!

Coffee cake with cream cheese frosting $7

Coffee cake with cream cheese frosting $7

Couldn’t leave without something sweet especially since it was close to 3pm, and I haven’t had my sweet fix. We chose two, first being this coffee cake with cream cheese frosting because I knew Mr Bao would appreciate it. It was three layers of coffee sponge caked with cream frosting in between and cacao powder sprinkled on top. A very moist and lightly dense cake the way I think coffee cakes should be ~

Vanilla Slice $7

Vanilla Slice $7

The waitress also recommended the Vanilla slice which is one of their best sellers and I grabbed the last slice before it was sold out :) I’m so glad I did, because this became the high light of the mean, the crisp puff pastry on top and bottom with a luscious rich vanilla custard between. I definitely wouldn’t mind having this again or getting the recipe!

Overall, we enjoyed at visit to Stefano Cafe Bakery, surprisingly though the sweets outshined the savoury, can’t wait to share with you our visit to Stefano’s restaurant which will soon be renamed as Jim McDougall soon ~

IMG_0778

With our sunnies, matching leader jackets (even Cupcake!) we were ready to go and explore Mildura! Until the next post have a wonderful day and even better weekend :D

Stefano's Cafe Bakery on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Hydrangea Cottage and Stefano Cafe Bakery – Mildura Part 1

1. andy1076 June 13, 2014 at 8:59 am Reply

Poor cupcake, he must of disliked being in the kennel like that, but ya that picture of him at the table is just adorable! I love the matching set lol ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 16, 2014 at 9:26 pm Reply

Thanks Andy :) I love our matching set too it’s my favourite hehe! He didn’t like the crate very much but that was the only we could take him unfortunately!

• andy1076 June 16, 2014 at 9:49 pm Reply

Well i’m sure he was more than happy after he got out, doubt he’ll be too fond of trips in there again and again though lol

2. Bam's Kitchen June 13, 2014 at 11:52 am Reply

Hello Daisy , Cupcake is just adorable and love your family photo with all of you together

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 16, 2014 at 9:26 pm Reply

Hi Bam :) Thanks for the comment Cupcake has very quickly become the love of my life and we’ve had so much fun together!

3. Keren June 13, 2014 at 7:06 pm Reply

We came mighty close to having to stick our two pups on a plane without us at one point (my folks were still in Qld at the time and we were going away). Thankfully we didn’t have to in the end, I can’t think what it would cost to get a cage big enough for Samson!! Cupcake looks like he took to it quite well though :) Love that you all have matching jackets!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 16, 2014 at 9:27 pm Reply

HI Keren :) Oh no i know what you mean the bigger the dog, the bigger the crate and it’s so expensive but I’m glad you didn’t have to do that!

4. Winnie @ Eat.Play.Shop. June 13, 2014 at 11:53 pm Reply

We loved Mildura when we visited. Didn’t feel like we were in Victoria at all! Looking forward to the next part of your post!

5. hotlyspiced June 14, 2014 at 8:24 am Reply

I love the family photo! And how wonderful that Cupcake got to go on a holiday too. He really does look like he’s about to enjoy the pulled pork burger. That vanilla slice looks amazing! xx

6. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) June 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm Reply

Ohh, the beef cheek lasagne looks heavenly! Mouthwatering! I dare not look at Cupcake’s eyes. Reminds me of puss in boots. I could give in anytime!

Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

7. Mrs Organised June 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm Reply

I could eat one of those pulled pork burgers right now … looks delicious!

8. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) June 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm Reply

I’m so with you on those sweet potatoes chips – they looks so crispy! Going by Instagram alone, you guys went on an all out attack on Mildura’s fine eats!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 16, 2014 at 9:22 pm Reply

We went all out in Mildura but also had some quiet nights in with the puppy ;) I’m fully ADDICTED to sweet potato chips lately hehe

9. Helen | Grab Your Fork June 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm Reply

Naww that’s so awesome that you got to have a holiday with Mr Cupcake! And I adore a good vanilla slice – so hard to find these days!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 16, 2014 at 9:22 pm Reply

Thanks’ Helen we had an awesome time with our little puppy :) And I can’t agree with you more good vanilla slice is SO hard to find!

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm Reply

Stefano is such an interesting man to talk to! I was lucky enough to interview him when we went to Mildura. Did you go to his restaurant for dinner? It’s amazing there!

11. cheri June 17, 2014 at 5:32 am Reply

Oh it looks like a great place you are staying and the food sounds wonderful, love traveling and eating along the way. So glad Cupcake is doing well with the travel.

12. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef June 17, 2014 at 2:32 pm Reply

I love Mildura even though it’s in the middle of nowhere. All the food I had there was good. I think matching leather jackets is very clever. I’ll discuss it with Charlie and see what he thinks. :)

13. Ami@NaiveCookCooks June 18, 2014 at 2:35 am Reply

Your puppy is so adorable and you make him wear clothes!! So cute!

14. Sarah June 18, 2014 at 10:44 pm Reply

Yay Mildura! Looks like you guys were much more organised and did so much more stuff in Mildura than we did!

That coffee cake looks so yum! Kinda like a tiramisu!