Rueben is back – Townhouse

I eat out quite frequently and sometimes I’ve faced with a little dilemma where I’ve really enjoyed a dish at a cafe or restaurant and then the next time I go back it’s GONE! :( This is what happened to the Rueben Sandwich at Prospect Espresso (blog post to come) in Camberwell. I’ve had the sandwich a few times and then it was taken off the menu! I got so desperate I left them a message on Instagram and they promised to let me know when the sandwich was going to come back.

Townhouse

Eventually, I forgot about the Rueben sandwich and then a couple of weeks ago a new cafe – Townhouse, followed me on Instagram. They’re actually owned and operated by the same guys as Prospect Espresso and there is was the Rueben sandwich was back :) Definitely made my day.

Town House 1

The new cafe is located on Toorak Rd just opposite Toorak Village, I visited with Julz on a Sunday and expected it to be pack because it we got there at around 11am which is usually peak hour for brunch. Surprisingly though it wasn’t that busy and we were immediately led to a table in the corner.

Latte $4

Latte $4

I’ve been drinking a lot more lattes lately not sure when I got off Mochas :O *Shock horror* will need to change that soon hehe. Coffee was good, however, I found it to be quite weak and was more milky, I think I would’ve liked another shot to make it stronger.

Cappuccino $4

Cappuccino $4

Julz got a Cappuccino and it was more or less like my latte, good temperature and crema just needed to be a little stronger for our liking :)

Reuben Sandwich - corned beef, sauerkraut, pickles, cheese and thousand island dressing $15

Reuben Sandwich – corned beef, sauerkraut, pickles, cheese and thousand island dressing $15

No one could tell me otherwise I was going to get the Reuben Sandwich with corned beef, sauerkraut, pickles, cheese and thousand island dressing. I’m not sure if the cheese, the corned beef or the thousand island sauce, everything just works so well. Even thinking about it makes me mouth water again! If you like Reuben sandwiches and haven’t been able to find it in Melbourne, would definitely recommend you going.

Tempura battered or grilled with Asian slaw and yuzu tartare $22

Grilled fish with Asian slaw and yuzu tartare $22

Julz got the market fish and chips, she opted for grilled with Asian slaw, chips and yuzu tartare. It was a generous serving with three large pieces of fish and basket of chips. I had a bite was was really impressed at how well the fish was cooked and that yuzu tartare was to die for! Really like that citrusy flavour without the bitter after taste of yuzu.

Banana passionfruit and cream cheese frosting

Banana passionfruit and cream cheese frosting $4

To finish up we got a banana passionfruit cake with cream cheese, it had a texture of banana bread with passionfruit pulp through. I liked the flavours but found it to be a little too dense but the cream cheese frosting made it all worth it :)

I enjoyed Townhouse and could definitely see the similarities with Prospect Espresso, but with a larger space it will be much easier to get a table especially on the weekends. And as long one of their cafes have the Reuben sandwich I’ll be happy!

Townhouse on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Rueben is back – Townhouse

1. Choc Chip Uru May 7, 2014 at 9:03 am Reply

I would go to Townhouse just for the dessert and the crispy delicious fries – great choice to visit :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2014 at 11:05 pm Reply

You’ll definitely need to come and visit i’m sure you’ll order the pancakes because they look and sound delicious too ;)

2. Sandie @ AppleBee Lane May 7, 2014 at 9:44 am Reply

Love the presentation of the fish and chips … very creative!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2014 at 11:06 pm Reply

Definitely and I think I’m going to steal this idea and serve it this way next time :)

3. hotlyspiced May 7, 2014 at 11:11 am Reply

That’s a great looking Reuben sandwich but it does seem quite expensive. I suppose that’s Toorak though! Glad you’ve found somewhere you can go for a Reuben xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2014 at 11:06 pm Reply

It does seem a little over priced doesn’t it? But because it was in Toorak and so so tasty I was happy to pay hehe

4. milkteaxx May 7, 2014 at 1:57 pm Reply

the reuben sambo looks great!

5. Keren May 7, 2014 at 5:50 pm Reply

Ooooh, must go back to Prospect one day soon (although Townhouse could possibly win the argument with that fish an chips, yum!).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2014 at 11:10 pm Reply

Yes yes you have to make a trip back to Prospect Espresso :) Really cool local cafe!

6. gourmetgetaway May 7, 2014 at 9:11 pm Reply

Cheese frosting, wow!!! I love it that the Reuben sandwich sits on that wooden plate.

Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

7. ironchefshellie May 7, 2014 at 9:55 pm Reply

yummmmmmm!! One day I’ll get there!

8. Helen | Grab Your Fork May 8, 2014 at 5:53 pm Reply

The Reuben looks glorious! And why chips in mini fryer baskets always taste so good? lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2014 at 11:09 pm Reply

Hhahaha I couldn’t agree more :) the mini fryer makes it look super fresh so it’s so crispy nom nom!

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 9, 2014 at 9:59 am Reply

Hehe you are so adorable Daisy! Good to hear that the Reuben came back and at a place where it is easier to get a table too! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 11, 2014 at 11:08 pm Reply

Hehehe I really wanted a Rueben sandwich that’s why :) I’m sure you’ll like it too! Should come try next time you come!

10. Sarah May 16, 2014 at 7:45 am Reply

Good to know it was easy to get a table! I love Prospect Espresso but it’s often packed! :)

11. Von May 21, 2014 at 10:55 pm Reply

I get what you mean!! I had a favourite dish from a certain restaurant that I loved, but when I went back a couple of months later, the restaurant had closed down :( The food here looks so good!!