Meeting Nami (JOC) – Hanlai Hotel, Kaohsiung

Big huge hello to all My Dearest Readers! How have you all been? I have been keeping up with most of you through Instagram and other forms of Social Media, but boy I’ve missed blogging. Have been so preoccupied trying to catch up with everyone in HK and also doing some (erm…maybe a LOT) of shopping :D

Hk 2014

Have so so so many new stories, restaurant and cafe to share with you. But the first one would have to be meeting Namiko Chen from Just One Cookbook! If you like Japanese food and have tried to Google for Japanese recipes, I’m sure you would have come across Nami’s amazing blog with easy to follow recipes, step-by-step photos and she has recently added videos for her recipes!

Just One Cookbook

Nami and I have followed each others blog for quite some time now, and we’ve always talked about meeting up one day. Coincidentally, last week Nami posted up on Instagram that she was flying to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to attend her brother-in-law’s wedding. I was ecstatic! Because I too was going to Kaohsiung the next day, so I boldly messaged Nami and asked if she would like and have the time to meet up. So excited she said yes, so we quickly organised to meet on the Tuesday afternoon at the hotel lobby lounge cafe at the Hanlai Hotel.

Hanlai Hotel

Hanlai Hotel

I got out of the taxi and started looking around the cafe when I saw a lady wave at me and I recognised that was Nami and her husband! She was everything I imagined her to be, the sweetest, gentlest and most genuine people you can meet! We had such a good time talking about everything from how she started her blog all the way to how she moved from Japan to the US and the challenges there are. I also shared all the crazy things I get up to down under hehe

Hello Nami!

Hello Nami!

Moving onto the food, we decided to get the tea set which was $299TWD ($12AUD) each including a drink. It was such a generous serving and we simply did not expect so much food, the food was served on a little 2 tier stand with sweets on the top and savoury on the bottom.

Afternoon Tea set $299TWD ($13AUD) + 10% Service Charge

Afternoon Tea set $299TWD ($13AUD) + 10% Service Charge

Starting with the savoury items, there were two tuna sandwiches, a baguette with a piece of ham and a petite serving of pasta prawn with a spicy tomato sauce. I really enjoyed the baguette with the ham as it had good flavour and crunch from the bread. The prawn pasta was a little spicy for Nami but I thought it was quite nice maybe because I like spicy food.

Savoury

Then there were the sweets, we all got a small serving of fruit which I thought was really nice as it’s quite refreshing, a small square sponge cake with vanilla custard which was my absolutely favourite. The sponge cake had the lightest texture. Last but not least we all got a different piece of cake, I got the strawberry shortcake which I knew Mr Bao would’ve loved because this is one of his favourite cakes! There was, however, a little too much cream for me.

Sweets

We were also given an extensive list of drinks to choose from, not just tea or coffee. I ordered the iced coffee latte with coffee jelly and it was lovely with a strong coffee taste but what really impressed me was the coffee jelly which I kept scooping into my mouth~ I also like how most restaurants and cafe have set meals which include a drink, while it doesn’t seem as common in Australia.

Iced coffee latte with coffee jelly

Iced coffee latte with coffee jelly

Would highly recommend anyone going to Kaohsiung to stay or visit the Hanlai Hotel and try the afternoon tea. I think it’s really good value for money, for less than $15AUD you get to enjoy a wonderful afternoon tea with delicious food and drinks. The atmosphere is also really nice for a bunch of girls to get together and chit chat.

Once again would like to thank Nami and Mr JOC (her hubby) for meeting me! It was such a pleasure to finally put a face to a blog and I really admire their dedication to their blog and have become so inspired by them to really put more effort and time into my own little blog! Hope you have a safe flight back to San Francisco and I’m sure we will meet again either :D

Hanlai Hotel
No.266, Cheng-kung 1st Rd
Kaohsiung City 801, Taiwan R.O.C.
高雄市前金區801成功一路266號
PH: 886-2-2751-7527
Website: http://www.grand-hilai.com.tw/english/index.htm

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Meeting Nami (JOC) – Hanlai Hotel, Kaohsiung

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 6, 2014 at 8:40 am Reply

Daisy!!! Thanks for the tweet! I’m so happy to read your post, and thank you for your kind introduction of me/my blog! It was SO nice to see you. Meeting you was a big highlight of my trip! It was 1 (or 2?) year ago that we were saying we hope to meet each other in Kaohsiung when you shared a post about Kaohsiung… who knew our trip could be overlapping this time! What a great surprise and I had such a fun time talking to you! Meeting you and talking to you seemed like just an extension of you on the blog – I didn’t feel like I met you in person for the first time. It was really nice to meet you and I will treasure our time together! I should double check with you next time I visit Kaohsiung next time. ;)

And you are such a pro… I do remember the spicy tomato spaghetti and delicious sponge cake with custard filling but the rest is just blur memory. You weren’t even taking notes and you remember everything so precisely! Everyone who reads this should know her reviews are all well written!

Thanks again for meeting me. I can’t wait to meet you again! :) Hugs!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2014 at 1:31 am Reply

Hi Nami :) Sorry for the late reply! I just flew back to Melbourne today and finally had time to check my blog and read the comments.

I totally agree with you! That it was a highly for my trip as well to meet you in Kaohsiung! We’ve been talking about it time and time but never got the chance but this time without planning it just happened so I really think it was fate! Thank you for meeting me and for afternoon tea!

I can’t wait to meet up with you again either in Taiwan or San Francisco because you’ve now given me a good reason to come visit you! :D xx

2. Choc Chip Uru March 6, 2014 at 9:13 am Reply

How exciting Nami is the sweetest blogger! You guys are so cute :D
    You obviously had a super enjoyable high tea!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2014 at 1:37 am Reply

I had an awesome afternoon tea and it was sic a highlight to meet Nami!!! :) Woo hoo! How have you been lately?

3. milkteaxx March 6, 2014 at 11:28 am Reply

awww i would love to meet nami, she sounds wonderful on her blog, Nami come to sydney next!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2014 at 1:38 am Reply

She was the loveliest such a pleasure to meet her :) I gotta come visit you soon!

4. Ashley (I'm So Hungree) March 6, 2014 at 11:33 am Reply

Oh my gosh, you guys are matching! Almost look like you could be related, hehe :) Can’t believe how cheap the tea is! Looks like a lovely catch up, so nice that our blogs introduce us to all sorts of people!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2014 at 1:44 am Reply

Hahaahahah really? I think it’s because of my new hair do that’s why we look kind of similar! Yes high tea is so much cheaper and more affordable in Asia :)

5. hotlyspiced March 6, 2014 at 8:01 pm Reply

How wonderful to meet Nami. It’s amazing how you live in Melbourne and she lives in San Francisco yet you met in yet another part of the world – incredible and this sort of thing certainly wouldn’t have happened a generation or two ago – we are living in very different times. I’m glad you had a very special time together and I do hope you have the chance to meet up again xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2014 at 1:46 am Reply

Yessssss I can’t explain how special it was to be able to meet Nami given that we live on sides of the world!! :) Hope you and I get to meet up in person again soon!!

6. Christina | The Hungry Australian March 11, 2014 at 12:07 am Reply

Isn’t it wonderful meeting a blogging friend IRL? And what a coincidence that you both happened to be in the same place at the same time!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2014 at 1:46 am Reply

Totally :) it’s always so nice to meet another bloggers especially when you guys aren’t from the same state or even country hehe! I’m coming to Adelaide in November woo hoo see you then!!! xx

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 11, 2014 at 6:35 am Reply

How gorgeous! Two of the loveliest bloggers in one post together. I’d love to meet the both of you one day :D

8. dedy oktavianus pardede March 12, 2014 at 1:29 am Reply

Such a great journey there, always lovin meet up with others food blogger!!!

9. Nessy Eater March 12, 2014 at 2:45 am Reply

How exciting to meet Namiko! You both look so pretty. It would be lovely to meet you both some day. Wow the tea set looks massive for $12 plus a drink.

10. Sara (Belly Rumbles) (@bellyrumbles) March 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm Reply

How wonderful that you guys got to meet up! It’s so wonderful when you get to meet another blogger that you have been reading and admiring their recipes.