Casual French Bistro – La Cassolette

I’m not sure if I’ve asked My Dearest Readers before, but what’s your favourite cuisine? :) Mine would definitely be French! I mean of course I would love French food because of their pastries, cakes and desserts. But I also like their slow cooked and comforting meals like a beef bourguignon.

La Cassolette

Mr Bao and I recently visited La Cassolette on Rebecca Walk, it might look familiar to some because it use to be a Roule Galette. The well known crepe store which I have previously blogged about here ~ The owner Michel Dubois has decided to transform Roule Galette into a modern casual French bistro serving traditional dishes at affordable prices.

La Cassolette

I definitely appreciated Michel’s efforts because even though I love French food, I find most of my favourite restaurants are quite expensive and its hard to find casual bistros here in Melbourne. They have fully refurbished Roule Galette, with new tables, chairs and I feel it’s also brighter letting a lot of natural come through. Rebecca Walk is a quieter side of the city which I think many people forget, but the view is actually stunning overseeing the Yarra River and also Crown Casino.

Sparking water and marinated olives

Sparking water and marinated olives

We got there at around 6:30pm and were the only table, we were offered some Sparking water and marinated olives to start our meal. I’ve never seen this brand of sparkling water before called Cape Grim where they collect the water from Tasmania, Mr Bao liked the water so much saying that it was the best he’s had ~ I think it’s because it wasn’t over carbonated, and didn’t have that aftertaste some sparkling water has.

Crab salad and quinoa taboule $16

Crab salad and quinoa taboule $16

We were suggested to order a three course meal, for my starter I chose their recommended dish which was a crab salad and quinoa taboule. I wasn’t expecting a square shaped bar, on the bottom was the quinoa and on top was the crab salad severed with baguette and some greens. I really enjoyed the crab salad with the mayonnaise dressing and the quinoa made it a rather filling dish and probably didn’t need the baguette bread :)

Smoked salmon with French dressing $15

Smoked salmon with French dressing $15

Mr Bao is a fan of smoked salmon so he ordered the entree size with French dressing and baguette for his starter. Another generous serving with quite a few slices of smoked salmon, don’t think we’ve had it with French dressing before, but was a nice addiction and helped cut some of the saltiness from the smoked salmon.

Scotch Fillet Black Angus 220g $25

Scotch Fillet Black Angus 220g $25

For his main, Mr Bao ordered a Scotch Fillet Black Angus that was 220g for $25 which we think is quite reasonable for a good piece of steak. It was nicely cooked to medium rare but we found it to be a little tough and paired with a spicy Cajun sauce.

Mash Potato $6

Mash Potato $6

We also added a side of mash potatoes to go with the steak, it was fluffy and butter topped with herbs and cracked pepper. I probably shouldn’t have ate so much of it!

Seared scallops and creamy sauce served with mash potato, parmesan and green salad $25

Seared scallops and creamy sauce $25

For my main, I chose another one of their speciality dish, seared scallops with creamy sauce. These dishes are cooked in front of customers where the scallops are cooked in a hot pan with Cognac then seasoned with salt, pepper and herbs.

Seared scallops

It’s so nicely plated with the seared scallops arranged around mashed potatoes, parmesan cheese and a green salad. Scallops are one of my favourite types of seafood and these were cooked perfectly, not at all chewy and still soft inside.

Seared Scallops

Nearly forgot we also had some white wine to pair with our meal. It was particularly nice with my scallop dish. I found it to be more on the drier side and prefer sweeter wines, but Mr Bao really liked it.

White wine

Who says you can’t have a drink on a Thursday night? :P

IMG_0494

I already had my eyes on the ‘I Feel Sweet’ section which is their dessert, I got the chocolate pear fondant cake. I was surprised to see it served in a tea cup, a great way to serve fondants and makes it less messy, will need to try this next time at home ~

Chocolate Pear Fondant $12

Chocolate Pear Fondant $12

On top of the fondant was vanilla ice-cream, I really enjoyed the oozy centre this is definitely my type of dessert!

Maki Roll sorbet $14

Maki Roll sorbet $14

We were intrigued by the Maki Roll sorbets on the menu, when we asked the waitress she said that it’s a fun dessert that their chef has created. They were shaped like sushi with a sweet fruit syrup centre sorbet on the outside, the thin slices of sorbet melted quickly and reminded me very much like the Sugus lollies which are chewy lollies quite famous in Hong Kong :)

We really enjoyed our meal at La Cassolette, food was made well and comforting and service was warm and friendly. It’s nice to know of a new place to get casual French food at very affordable prices. Would recommend it to anyone who likes French food and haven’t been able to find a casual place in Melbourne ~

La Cassolette on Urbanspoon

Daisy and Mr Bao @Nevertoosweet dined as guests of La Cassolette

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Casual French Bistro – La Cassolette

1. Winston January 19, 2014 at 12:20 am Reply

What a great review, Daisy. I definitely enjoyed my meal at La Cassolette too and definitely would be back. Awesome food and service with a smile. I’ve always been a fan of French food too and always think to myself it’s one of those cuisines that I don’t cook enough of. This has got to change in 2014 =)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 22, 2014 at 1:32 pm Reply

Hey Wince :) Thanks! It was a great meal and couldn’t agree with you more, it’s always nice when a restaurant actually likes it’s customers and serve them with a genuine smile and not put on hehe ~ I don’t think we cook much French at home too because I think the cookbooks and shows make it so much harder with a lot of effort and slow cooking. Compared to say Italian food where it can be a simple spaghetti bolognese! OK lets make it both a new years resolution to have more French food at home hehe

2. Sara McCleary January 19, 2014 at 1:10 am Reply

Oh my gosh, what luscious looking scallops. French cuisine is one of my faves.

3. Ali January 19, 2014 at 8:18 am Reply

French cuisine is one of my favourite, too, but I don’t cook it very often! Unfortunately, there are only a couple of French restaurants in Adelaide and quite expensive, we need a La Cassolette by the sounds!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 22, 2014 at 1:34 pm Reply

I think each and very suburbs needs a La Cassolette!!! :) Delicious, affordable French food for everyone hehe

4. Sarah January 19, 2014 at 1:27 pm Reply

Oh wow! I remember seeing pics from this restaurant on your Instagram – I thought it was a much fancier place, I didn’t realise it was that little place near the Yarra and crown! Those scallops look amazing. And I love Chablis too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 22, 2014 at 1:35 pm Reply

I know the food looks heaps fancier and probably more expensive but in actual fact it’s actually really affordable and delicious yay! You’ve gotta go try! Especially the scallops hehe

5. Hungrycookie January 19, 2014 at 1:48 pm Reply

Looks delicious. French, Korean and Japanese would be mine.

6. Choc Chip Uru January 19, 2014 at 2:13 pm Reply

Mm so fancy and delicious, such a wonderful review :D
    Fancy and still flavoursome French cuisine seems like a hard find!

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 22, 2014 at 1:44 pm Reply

Thank you :) it was a great meal so was a pleasure writing about it hehe ~ and i couldn’t agree with you more French cuisine is always hard to find!

7. grabyourfork January 20, 2014 at 12:47 am Reply

The crab salad and quinoa tabouli is definitely unlike anything I imagined! I don’t think I could resist that mashed potato though – just hand me a spoon and I’d be cradling that baby all to myself!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 22, 2014 at 1:44 pm Reply

Same here Helen, I expected it to be a salad with the quinoa scattered all over but nope hehe it was like a slice of cake hehe ~ the mash potatoes were YUM!

8. Hannah January 20, 2014 at 2:23 am Reply

Japanese is my favourite, but one of my favourite desserts of all time is French – the Mont Blanc. Wheeeee!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm Reply

You’re just like my boyfriend hehe he’s all about Japanese food! I like it but never have cravings for it hehe ~ But I know understand your love for Mont Blanc another dessert that is hard to find here!

9. hotlyspiced January 20, 2014 at 11:58 pm Reply

I think my favourite is Thai and then Italian. I love French food but only when it is absolutely French and not a poor imitation. That mineral water you started with is my absolute favourite! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 22, 2014 at 1:51 pm Reply

yes me too! It’s not good when places serve mediocre french food it really annoys me too! I’d rather you just serve what you know how to cook! I haven’t seen this mineral water before! Do you know where I can buy it? hehe xx

10. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) January 22, 2014 at 4:26 pm Reply

Oh those seared scallops look amazing! I have a weakness for French food too!

11. Nessy Eater January 22, 2014 at 5:22 pm Reply

Really want to try chocolate pear fondant AND maki roll sorbet, a very unique dessert :D

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 22, 2014 at 5:37 pm Reply

I love French food too, especially when the weather turns cold. And Cape Grim is a great water (which sounds odd) but it really is nice. It wins lots of awards too!

13. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) January 26, 2014 at 10:27 pm Reply

Oh cool. Was meant to head down and try them out as well but got way busy last year. Great choice with the scallops – they look real geeewd. Great write up TT.

14. La valise de louise January 29, 2014 at 8:24 am Reply

Beautiful presentation – the maki roll sorbet looks amazing!

15. thehungrymum February 26, 2014 at 8:06 pm Reply

smoked salmon! Wine! yummmm! And your photos are lovely.