HK Style BBQ – New Year Eve Party

Happy New Year my Dearest Readers :) 2013 was a rough one for Mr Bao and I, many ups and quite a few downs. But now that’s gone, I am ready to take on 2014 and can’t wait to see what it has in store for us all!

Happy New Year2014

How did you spend New Years eve? Did you have a party? It might be surprisingly to many but this year is probably the first year I’ve spent New Years in Melbourne because in the past I am always in Hong Kong wit family. Alas with work it’s a little hard to take time off during this period so Mr Bao and I decided to stay here instead. You know we had a Christmas Eve party, so initially for New Years eve we wanted to go away on a short trip. Unfortunately, because of the car accident that happened and a few others mishaps we left it too late and it was too hard and expensive to plan a getaway :(

HK Style BBQSo instead we decided to do it the Aussie way and have a barbeque at my parents place because its more spacious ~ and since they’re not here they couldn’t really object hehe. Even though we wanted to do a BBQ like locals do, we wanted to put a twist to it and do the HK style way. Instead of using a weber barbeque, have an open fire with charcoal and cook the food on long forks.

IMG_8793

We just assumed our friends knew what to do but hahaha turns out they haven’t seen or had this type of barbeque. It’s basically a DIY you need to choose what you want to cook, put it onto the fork and then go to the fire and cook it. Some of my friends were quite alarmed because they’re use to all the food being cooked at once ~ Nope you’ve gotta feed yourself :P sorry friends but that’s why it’s fun hehe

IMG_8693

Once again I think we over catered for 16 people haha we got 2kgs of beef marinated in Korean bulgogi sauce, 4kg of chicken wings marinated 2 ways with a special BBQ rub Mr Bao made, 2kg of chicken thighs marinated 3 ways and we marinated that in some Nandos marinate sauce which was actually quite tasty.

Honey marshmallow toast

I also made dessert using those forks, using a piece of bread spread butter and honey over it, toast it using the open fire remember to turn it frequently so it doesn’t burn. And then top two marshmallows and wait patiently because it will start to melt you then fold it into and eat it :) Its such a simple but delicious little sweet treat hehe next time I think I’ll put a little chocolate in it to make it into a Smores toastie :D

Apart from a BBQ party I also wanted to make it an ice-cream party where we blind tasted ice-cream to see which brand we liked the most. I got this super fun idea from my fellow blogger friends :) I asked my guests to all buy chocolate ice-cream because I mean who doesn’t like chocolate and that was probably the most readily available flavour hehe. We ended up with 7 tubs and ready to serve and taste!

Ice-cream party1. Movenpick Swiss Chocolate
2 Connoisseur Belgian Chocolate
3.Killeigh Farm Triple Chocolate with chocolate swirl (Aldi)
4. Indulge Chocolate ice-cream (Aldi)
5. Ben & Jerry Brownie fudge chocolate
6. Blue Ribbon Triple Chocolate
7. Sara Lee Ultra Chocolate

Ice-cream party

Can you guess which 3 brands was top three choices amongst my friends and I? hehe
First Choice – Ben & Jerry Brownie fudge chocolate
Second Choice – Connoisseur Belgian Chocolate
Third Choice – Movenpick Swiss Chocolate

I can’t say I’m surprised that Ben & Jerry won this blind taste because it was so decadent, moreish with brownies pieces through it just made you want to eat more :) I was surprised though Movenpick was only the third choice because it’s actually Win Win (my sisters) favourite.

Mixed berry coffee trifle

Mixed berry and coffee trifle

I was a little sad I didn’t get to make dessert for the Xmas eve party soooooo I promised to make a dessert for this party…flipped through so many recipes and finally decided to make a trifle since I’ve never used my trifle bowl (I bought it last year! :P) I ended up adapting the a few recipes and came up with this massive mixed berry and coffee trifle. It’s actually quite easy to make just need a few ingredients not baking or cooking required hehe please let me know if you would like the recipe! I’ll blog about it.

New Years 2014

We didn’t want to watch the fireworks on TV so we all headed over to Westfield shopping centre and parked at the highest car park. It was actually a great view we could see so many fireworks going off, they were not all close to us, but it was just as spectacular. I also bought us fire crackers/sparkling candles to play with. Yes I still act like a child hehe

Love 2014

We also drew words with this them :) I hope in the new year we will all learn to love ourselves and the important people around us more! May 2014 be the best one yet for us all!

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

35 thoughts on “HK Style BBQ – New Year Eve Party

1. Julie January 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm Reply

Never heard of HK bbq before but will try it one day if I get the chance
    happy new years again dearie <3

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:05 am Reply

Happy new year love :) Hope you had a lovely time back home in Sydney with family and friends hehe damnnn wish you had told me earlier and we could’ve had the HK Style bbq at our place hehe

2. andy1076 January 3, 2014 at 11:56 pm Reply

Awesome!! looks like everyone had an awesome time, I’d love to try something like this :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:06 am Reply

I didn’t know this was such a new concept to everyone hehe because it’s the only type of BBQ they have in HK :)

• andy1076 January 5, 2014 at 5:40 am Reply

I guess it’s the gigantic firepit that throws me off a little LOL

3. viveka January 4, 2014 at 2:05 am Reply

Brilliant …. just what New Year celebration should be about – great company, laughter and easy going food – that we can eat with our fingers if we feel for that. *smile – Thanks for this happy sharing.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:08 am Reply

Happy New Year Viveka :) hope you’ve had a great one! We had an awesome time at the party so much going on with the BBQ, ice-cream tasting and that huge trifle hehe hope you get to try this HK Style BBQ soon hehe

• viveka January 5, 2014 at 12:32 am Reply

Daisy, the same to you …. I’m not allowed to have BBQ because I have balconies above mine – but maybe I can try when I visit my friends that has a garden. I have bookmarked you post.

4. Hannah January 4, 2014 at 6:38 am Reply

It physically hurts that you didn’t add peanut butter to the toasted bread with honey and marshmallows. Happy New Year!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:08 am Reply

HAHAH I didn’t have peanut butter with me :) But i’ll know now!

5. hotlyspiced January 4, 2014 at 11:45 am Reply

You’ve done so much entertaining! First Christmas Eve and then New Year’s Eve! And that’s a beautiful photo of you, Daisy – you photograph so well. I love the way you made everyone cook their own meal – lots of fun and laughter around the BBQ (open fire) I’m sure xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:11 am Reply

Happy New year Charlie :) We’ve definitely done our share of entertaining now we want to chill and rest a little hahaha don’t want anymore for a little while so much effort and work actually hehe

Awww you’re so sweet Charlie it just make up hehe I really like the open fire it’s so much fun and when everyone’s cooking their own food more time to chat with one another! xx

6. Sara (Belly Rumbles) (@bellyrumbles) January 4, 2014 at 2:02 pm Reply

Love the HK BBQ, a new one for me, never heard of it before. Happy New Year gorgeous!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:12 am Reply

Come to melbourne and you’re most invited to our place to try this HK Style BBQ :) Anytime! Happy New Year to you as well hope 2014 is going to be the best year for you yet!

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 5, 2014 at 9:34 am Reply

I love the way that you party Daisy! And “Love” written in sparklers is nothing short of gorgeous! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2014 at 12:31 am Reply

Thanks Lorraine :) Hope we’ll meet each other in person one day and you may even be able to come to one of these parties hehe!

8. Ling January 5, 2014 at 3:47 pm Reply

I <3 it.. I didn't know in HK you hold onto the sticks. HAHAH in Singapore we use charcoal too but we stick the food on the grill like here. Awesome.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2014 at 12:32 am Reply

I had no idea that it was so uncommon lol because I thought it was a common thing :) Will have to have another HK Style BBQ soon hehe

9. grabyourfork January 6, 2014 at 1:49 am Reply

The HK bbq looks like so much fun, and no I’ve never seen that before either! Happy new year Daisy and here’s to a wonderful year ahead for you and Mr Bao :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2014 at 12:32 am Reply

Thank you very much Helen :) Hope you have a bigger, better, and brighter 2014! We had an awesome time and everyones been bugging me to have another HK style BBQ hehe

10. My Inner Chick January 6, 2014 at 4:15 am Reply

OOOO,
    the Mixed berry and coffee trifle looks FABBbbb!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2014 at 12:36 am Reply

Thanks :) You should make it too it’s actually not that difficult hehe

11. Tina @ bitemeshowme January 6, 2014 at 8:12 am Reply

looks like it was a great start to 2014! happy new yearrrrrrrrrr

12. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) January 6, 2014 at 12:46 pm Reply

oh I love everything about this story!
    Your BBQing is a unique style but it would have been so much fun. I would have loved to participate in the chocolate ice-cream taste test and I loved the ice-cream cone holder!! (where did you get that?)
    Most of all I love the sparkler writing, so cute.
    Happy New Year to you too :)

13. msihua (@msihua) January 6, 2014 at 10:03 pm Reply

Happy New year to the two cutest silliest couple I’ve met in recent years.. Love that shot of Ricky! He looks so happy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2014 at 12:31 am Reply

Awww such a nice compliment hehe :) We’re not that cute when we fight with each other all the time hehe Hope you’ve had a wonderful New Years with Aaron!

14. Ali January 6, 2014 at 10:33 pm Reply

Happy New Year! That BBQ looks great! All the best for 2014 :)

15. Sarah January 6, 2014 at 10:59 pm Reply

Happy new year Daisy and Ricky! Your party looks like so much fun – I love a bit of DIY! I’m sorry we couldn’t make it – I would have loved a bit of that trifle! Yum yum! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2014 at 12:29 am Reply

Nooo please don’t apologise Sarah :) We’ll have another HK BBQ party again, you’ll have to come to that one! And if you want I’ll make another trifle for you hehe xx

16. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) January 7, 2014 at 7:43 am Reply

Totes love that trifle photo <3 Happy New Year again xo

17. Agnes January 7, 2014 at 4:01 pm Reply

Happy 2014 Daisy. I’m happy that we have become anti-friends in the past year. Hahaha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2014 at 12:25 am Reply

Hahahha we’ve had a troublesome friendship in 2013, we’re friend then we don’t like each other then we make up haha i guess until the day i give up Jaffa we will never see eye to eye :P

18. kellysiew January 8, 2014 at 3:15 am Reply

Happy New Year Daisy! Seems like a fun way to do BBQ, hehe.