Japanese Afternoon Tea – Hihou

Hello my Dearest Readers :) Hope you’ve all recovered from Christmas and now getting ready to celebrate New Years! This year has just gone by so quickly I haven’t even had time to think about my achievements and failures…let alone New Years resolutions. But it’s ok I still have a little bit of time to work that out hehe

Hihou tea

I’m sure I’ve said that plenty of times and I’ll say it again, I can’t think of a better way to spend Saturday afternoon than having afternoon tea with my girls – BBFF (Michele), Lianne (Food Made with Love) and Michelle (The Bakernista) :) A couple of weeks ago I came across an article which talked about Hihou limited edition Japanese Afternoon tea which they have on the last Saturday of each month. For Japanese food connoisseurs in Melbourne they will know Hihou is owned by the same group as Izakaya Den and Nama Nama the acclaimed restaurnats. I haven’t had the chance to try these restaurants but was lucky to try some of Hihou’s dishes at the Lexus Pavilion on Stakes Day.

HIhou tea

Hihou Japanese Afternoon Tea $25 per person

Because there were limited seats, I literally emailed and booked a table of for and then merely informed the girls that they were to have afternoon tea with me on that date and 2pm. I gave them no choice and the only way they could get out of it was to give me a REALLY good excuse :P Yes I can be very pushy or efficient as I like to describe myself hehe

I’m glad we all made it to the afternoon tea that day and got a nice table by the window which gave us a good view of the Flagstaff gardens and the people walking along Flinders Lane. We all started with a hot tea, I obviously went for the matcha while the girls Ume Vert which was a Japanese Plum Green. I think I prefer the taste of the matcha tea but the Japanese plum green smelt so good!

Chilli miso soy bean oyaki

Chilli miso soy bean oyaki

The first course for the afternoon tea was this Chilli miso soy bean oyaki which is a dumpling made from fermented buckwheat and a miso soy bean filling. I found the dumpling to be a little dense and chewy but I did like the slight spiciness from the chilli.

Pork Tonkatsu Sandwich

Pork Tonkatsu Sandwich

It was then followed by this delicious Pork Tonkatsu Sandwich the girls went crazy for this :P I can’t blame them the pork tonkatsu (deep fried pork cutlet) had a light crispy layer on the outside but still remained so juicy and tender inside. This may sound a little silly but I also found the bread so soft and fluffy as well hehe

Scallop and Shitake Shumai

Scallop and Shitake Shumai

My favourite out of the savoury dishes would have to be this scallop and shitake shumai, they were freshly steamed and I loved the flavour and texture of the scallop. Just modernises and makes the already delicious Shumai even better.

Japanese Sweet Treat Box - Matcha cookies, Japanese Whiskey chocolate, Mountain berry tart, Miso caramel nut praline

Japanese Sweet Treat Box
Matcha cookies, Japanese Whiskey chocolate, Mountain berry tart, White bean paste dumpling, Miso caramel nut praline

Now time for sweets! I did let out a little squeal when I saw this little sweet treat box. It had a good spread of Japanese inspired and style sweets. On the top left was the matcha cookie which was more like a shortbread it was quite nice but I would’ve liked a stronger matcha flavour. On the top right was the Japanese Whiskey chocolate which was surprisingly sweet and couldn’t really taste the whiskey. In the middle was the Japanese Mountain Berry tart, there wasn’t a distinct flavour to the mountain berry best way to describe it would be like a really light tasting raspberry. On the bottom left was a white bean pate dumpling this was my least favourite as I’m not a fan of white bean and the paste texture. Last but not least was the miso caramel nut praline, it may sound unusual, however, the saltiness from the miso matched the sweet caramel quite well.

Black Sesame Cheesecake

Black Sesame Cheesecake

That’s not it there’s more dessert yay! This was the black sesame cheesecake, I know the colour may alarm people who are not familiar with black sesame but if you’re a fan you will appreciate the strong yet not overpowering black sesame flavour and the soft cotton like texture of the cheesecake.

Warm Yuzu tofu cake, white chocolate sauce

Warm Yuzu tofu cake, white chocolate sauce

Everything was lovely, but the winner of this whole afternoon tea was this warm yuzu tofu cake. I find it’s quite hard to find yuzu flavoured desserts in Melbourne. Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit cross between a lemon/mandarin. I really like the spongey texture of the tofu cake and the delicious white chocolate sauce topped with chopped pistachio and cranberry. I have already instructed Mr Bao to try and replicate this at home and try and open and use that bottle of yuzu juice we have at home :D

Overall, all of us had a great time at Hihou and really enjoyed the afternoon tea. We probably overstayed and wanted to stay for longer and just chat chat chat hehe for only $25 per person, it’s actually very good value for all the food we got and also unlimited supply of tea. Would highly recommended this to anyone who likes Japanese food or want afternoon tea with a twist.

Hihou on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Japanese Afternoon Tea – Hihou

1. Michelle @ The Bakeanista December 30, 2013 at 9:39 am Reply

Hehehe the pork tonkatsu sandwich!!!! So good!! Not being silly at all I love the bread soft and fluffy too hehe. ;) Thanks for organising!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:49 am Reply

You’re welcome :) I’m just glad we were all free that weekend and we could all go hehe so much fun and love chatting! Will have to go again when they do it again this year hehe

2. liannelow December 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm Reply

the pork tonkatsu sandwich was a clear winner for the day!! (: heh Thanks for organising high tea at such a beautiful place!! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:50 am Reply

Hahhaa nooooooo the yuzu cake was the winner :P Well for me it was hehe welcome i’m pushy and bossy and it works sometimes hehe x

3. Sarah December 30, 2013 at 2:48 pm Reply

What a cute idea! I love love love how sweet and individual everything looks – so different from a normal high tea but still so delicious looking! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:50 am Reply

I think you’d really like it Sarah :) I highly recommend you going and trying it out hehe it’s nice to have a different type of high tea sometimes hehe ~

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reply

What a deliciously different afternoon tea Daisy! And hehe you’re adorably insistent and I’m sure nobody would mind especially if there is afternoon tea and your company involved! Happy New Year to you and Mr Bao!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:52 am Reply

Hahaha nahhhh Lorraine I can be so persistent it really is bother line being a nuisance :P but i’m glad the girls were free and we all got to gather around and enjoy a lovely afternoon tea hehe hope you’ve had a wonderful new year! xx

5. grabyourfork December 31, 2013 at 1:10 am Reply

omg you can’t beat a tonkatsu sandwich! Sounds like such an intriguing afternoon tea – I reckon I’d totally dig that chewy oyaki. Happy new year Daisy and here’s to 2014 being even sweeter :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 5, 2014 at 12:53 am Reply

Thanks Helen :) Hope 2014 is going to be bigger, better and brighter for you too! The tonkatsu sandwich was awesome but my high light was definitely the yuzu tofu cake :) xx

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme December 31, 2013 at 10:55 am Reply

now thats my sort of high tea! as soon as i read your review it totally had your name all over it haha. happy new year daisy. hope your 2014 is bigger, more delicious and sweeter xx

7. Shanshan Lam (@food_religion) December 31, 2013 at 11:00 am Reply

pork tonkatsu sandwich? come to MOMMA

8. Ling January 1, 2014 at 8:53 am Reply

Oh that’s insane! I would have loved to come!! Good price hey.

9. Hannah January 1, 2014 at 11:18 am Reply

Oh dear god. Black sesame cheesecake. Oh dear god.

10. msihua (@msihua) January 1, 2014 at 11:45 am Reply

Looks good but I would need more savouries :P Have a lovely lovely new year my dear :)

11. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) January 1, 2014 at 10:38 pm Reply

I still need to blog this. And thank you for standing your ground and getting us in, I LOVED it!! x

12. hotlyspiced January 2, 2014 at 6:54 am Reply

It does seem very good value compared with what you pay for a traditional English high tea. I think my favourite would be the pork sandwich – that looks amazing. I hope you and Mr Bao had a lovely New Years xx

13. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) January 2, 2014 at 7:17 am Reply

This looks gorgeous!
    I love Japanese tea and the high tea concept looks so good.
    Happy New Year !

14. Jen January 3, 2014 at 4:48 pm Reply

Oh my! It all looks so good! I’m in Sydney, but this post makes me want to take a trip down to Melbourne!

15. Agnesgnes January 8, 2014 at 11:05 am Reply

You are extremely pushy – err efficient.

Such a cool take on afternoon tea, and such a bargain!