Finally Arrived – Hot Star Large Fried Chicken

I’m sure long-time Readers will know my love for Taiwan :) I go quite regularly and at least once a year I’m not sure what is it but I really like the food, people and culture there. That’s why whenever a new Taiwanese franchise ventures into Melbourne I get extremely excited, because they satisfy my constant cravings for Taiwanese food.

Hot Star on Elizabeth St

Hot Star on Elizabeth St

In the past year we’ve seen Chatime and Gongcha bubble tea outlets opening in Melbourne, this time it’s Hot Star Large Fried Chicken! I have shared with you how much I like their XXL large piece of fried chicken in this previous post. So you can imagine I was thrilled that they were opening in Melbourne. Their first store opened a couple of months ago on the busy Swanston St, I have been meaning to try but have heard the long queues so wanted to wait until it died down a little. Then last week I got the good news that Hot Star was opening another store on Elizabeth St once again next to Gong Cha.

Hotstar Melb

Mr Bao and I went down to Hot Star at around 7:30pm and was very lucky to find parking right in front of the store. It looked very similar to the store they have in Hong Kong, where it is an actual store. Compared to the ones in Taiwan night markets the fried chicken is sold at food stalls. We met Prima the store manager that and was given a tour of the narrow store.

Hotstar1

It was really interested to see the fried chicken cooked in front of us, Prima explained that they take quality control very seriously. The staff have been flown to Taiwan to learn how to marinate the chicken, coat it in the special batter and deep fry to make it crispy delicious but not too oily or greasy. All ingredients except for the chicken breast (they source locally) the rest are imported from Taiwan to hopefully replicate the same taste and flavour in Melbourne.

Hotstar2

The fried chicken at Hot Star is renown for their huge size, but because it is so thin it only takes about 5 minutes for it to be cooked in the deep fryer. It is then placed on the drying rack where it will air dry and crisp up before another flavoured powder is sprinkled over it.

Hotstar3

The most popular and my favourite powder would be the hot chilli powder, but they do offer plum powder as well for those who like it more mild ~

Hotstarmelb

Our dinner on Friday night as a XXL fried chicken each and a cup of Gongcha. I can’t think of a better drink to pair with the Hot Star friend chicken, I chose the Milk Tea with pearls while Mr Bao got the Milk Tea with Honey and pearls.

Hot Star Fried Chicken $8

Mr Bao opted for the fried chicken with only salt and pepper and not of one of the flavoured powders. We were both so impressed of the taste and texture of the fried chicken, I honestly think it is on par with the ones in Taiwan. Except the flavour of the chicken is a little different, as Prima suggests the type of chicken and how they’re bred is quite different in Taiwan compared to Australia.

Spicy Fred Chicken $8

Spicy Fred Chicken $8

This fried chicken with the spicy hot powder totally made my day and took me immediately back to all those times I’ve visited the night markets! Mr Bao and I enjoyed the fried chicken so much we didn’t even bother talking to each other until we finished and he wanted to go get another piece hehe

photo2

The Hot Star fried chicken is renown for being super large at least 29cm long it was definitely bigger than my face! I have heard some criticism from people that it is quite expensive $8AUD compared to $55TWD (not sure if prices have increased). You get a can of softdrink for $9.9AUD, I do agree that it is quite expensive compared to Taiwan. However, I don’t find the price to be unreasonable given the size of the fried chicken and the fact that we don’t have to fly to Taiwan to get Hot Star… I’m happy :)

Hotstarmelb1

Mr Bao and I were so obsessed we actually drove back to Hot Star last night at around 9:30pm and they were already sold out! We didn’t expect them to be so popular :( will need to go back another time. I really urge all Fried Chicken fans no matter if its Southern Fried Chicken, Korean Fried Chicken or good old KFC, you need to try Taiwanese Fried Chicken and Hot Star! Hope you will like it as much as we do!

Hot Star Fried Chicken (Elizabeth St)
429 Elizabeth St
Melbourne CBD
PH: 0481 134 291
Hot Star/Gong Cha on Urbanspoon

Daisy and Mr Bao@Nevertoosweet visited as guests of Hot Star Large Fried Chicken and Harvey PR

Tagged: , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Finally Arrived – Hot Star Large Fried Chicken

1. hotlyspiced December 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm Reply

It’s great that the new business is off to such a great start. I love the look of the chicken and I can understand why it’s so popular – it looks delicious. I haven’t had much Taiwanese cuisine so I hope Hot Star takes off and they open some venues in Sydney. And thank you so much for your gorgeous card and gifts – you really are truly, ‘too sweet’. I was very touched by your words and you have made my Christmas xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm Reply

Hi Charlie :) Hope you’ve had a lovely Christmas! And i’m so glad the gifts arrived safely! I know Hot Star is going to open soon in Sydney they said February so hopefully you’ll be able to try it’s absolutely divine!

2. Choc Chip Uru December 24, 2013 at 8:41 am Reply

Haha I would get obsessed as well, Taiwanese cuisine sounds so addictive :D
    I’m with Charlie – hope it comes to Sydney!

Happy Holidays!
    CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 27, 2013 at 9:33 pm Reply

It’s definitely so delicious :) I know it’s coming soon hopefully in February! Hope you had a lovely Christmas! xx

3. chewtown December 24, 2013 at 11:45 am Reply

Oh.mah.gawd! That looks so amazing. I love a fried chicken and that one looks taaasty

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm Reply

Merry Christmas Amanda :) Hope you’ve had a lovely time back home with family! I assure you it tastes even better than it looks! Hopefully it’ll come in February! xx

4. grabyourfork December 26, 2013 at 11:42 pm Reply

haha i love the name of this place! Fried chicken as a snack?! I hope they come to Sydney soon!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 27, 2013 at 9:36 pm Reply

Hahaha it’s huge I’m not sure if it’s a snack or a whole meal :P Either way it’s delicious you have to try when it goes to Sydney hope you’ve had a lovely Xmas!

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 27, 2013 at 11:55 am Reply

I’d love to visit Taiwan one day-the food looks SO good! :D And Daisy, I hope you and Mr Bao had a wonderful Christmas! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2013 at 10:09 am Reply

Thanks Lorraine hope you had a lovely Christmas too :) I’m sure you’d love Taiwan because I know you have a thing or two for fried chicken hehe

6. milkteaxx December 28, 2013 at 12:18 am Reply

i had the cheesy one in taiwan and loved it! hope they open in sydney!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2013 at 10:10 am Reply

Ohhh I haven’t had the cheesy one before but would love to try hehe :)

7. Sarah December 29, 2013 at 11:29 am Reply

Omg yum! I’ve walked past the Hot Star / Gong Cha a zillion times and really want to try them but the lines are always so long! The chicken looks so yum, I’ll have to try and go when it’s quiet! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2013 at 10:11 am Reply

You’ve gotta try Sarah! I Suggest going to the Elizabeth St store because that doesn’t seem as packed and try to go odd times :) Trust me it’s worth the wait hehe

8. Libby January 1, 2014 at 10:36 pm Reply

I’m going to see if I can convince my work friends to come to the Elizabeth St store with me tomorrow after work. I’ve been dying to try this for ages!

9. Agnes January 8, 2014 at 11:21 am Reply

I want to be flown to Taiwan to learn how to fry chicken.

The last time I walked past there was such a big line. Booo. I will definitely try it one day!

10. Joyce @ MEL: HOT OR NOT February 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm Reply

I couldn’t believe the queues when it first opened! Based on your Taiwanese chicken expertise sounds like I’ll have to try it. Having it with some Gongcha from next door sounds like a good idea too.