Coming To Melbourne – Gelato World Tour

My Dearest Readers in Melbourne! We’re in for a treat this weekend :D Can see you the huge grin on my face! The Gelato World Tour is coming to Melbourne on the 25th October to 27th October in Argyle Place South Carlton. It’s going to be the place where the top artisan Gelato markers across Australia will exhibit their gelato and be judged, the top three finalist will then enter another round of competition in Italy :)

Gelato World Tour2013

I was invited to attend the Gelato World Tour Press conference last week, the presentation was held at the Melbourne Town Hall. We got to meet some of the judges of this event. This includes Guy Grossi acclaimed Italian chef, Ottorino Pace who has been making gelato for over 50 years and Marco Maria Cerbo the Italian Consul General in Australia.

Guy Grossi

Guy Grossi

It was very interesting to learn more about the history of gelato, the making of and some interesting facts. Did you know that artisan gelato will only last for 3 days? While ice-cream will last for months.  And Carpigiani the company own and run a Gelato University in Italy that run courses and every year 60,000 people graduate there! That’s a lot more people than I expected!

Porcini Mushroom Risotto

Porcini Mushroom Risotto

The press conference was then followed up by a brunch at Guy Grossi’s Merchant Osteria restaurant at the Intercontinental Hotel. The brunch was more like a full Italian banquet with so much food, starting with an antipasti, freshly baked bread and olive oil. Next was a delicious plate of porcini mushroom risotto, it was cooked perfectly al dente and not at all gluggy. Quite impressed because I find it quite hard to cook large batches of risotto.

Slow cooked lamb

Slow cooked lamb

Braised salted cod with potatoes

Braised salted cod with potatoes

We then shared a braised salt cod and slow cooked lamb dish, even though I don’t eat lamb, I was able to eat this dish and quite enjoyed it as it didn’t taste gamey at all. It was also served with some polenta (my fav) and roasted peppers. I really enjoyed all the dishes and definitely want to go back with Mr Bao.

IMG_3189

After all that food, it was definitely time for some GELATO! We got to try Guy Grossi’s strawberry and cream gelato. The strawberry flavour was so intense, texture was smooth and balanced out quite nicely with the vanilla cream gelato. Now I’m absolutely ready for the Gelato World Tour :D

Anyhow, thought it’ll be a good idea to give you guys some more details:

Gelato World Tour
Date/Time:
Friday (12.30pm – 9.30pm), Saturday (11.00am – 9.30pm) and Sunday (11.00am – 7pm)7th October (Friday-Sunday)
Address: Argyle Square (The park off Lygon St)
Entry: Free
Gelato: $10 for 2 cup and 3 mini cones
For more information please visit their website :)

I’m already planning to go twice and try all the pistachio gelatos they have as that’s one of my favourite flavours! I also want to attend the Gelato Messina Black Forest gelato cake!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet attended the Gelato World Tour Press Conference and brunch at Merchant as guests of Carpigiani

Tagged: , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Coming To Melbourne – Gelato World Tour

1. Tina @ bitemeshowme October 21, 2013 at 8:13 am Reply

I bet this is making you all sorts of happy daisy.. GELATOOOOOOOOO! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 21, 2013 at 9:05 pm Reply

It’s absolutely making me super happy :) Can’t wait! Counting the days hehe

2. glamorous glutton October 21, 2013 at 9:26 am Reply

Ooh a gelato fair, how fab. I wish we had one here it’d be great. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm Reply

I m so excited! :) Maybe you can go to the one in Berlin or even better the grand finale in Italy? :)

3. ScottKilmartin October 21, 2013 at 10:25 am Reply

Looking forward to it.
    I was lucky enough to see the Rome leg of the tour earlier this year.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 21, 2013 at 9:16 pm Reply

OMG you’re so lucky!! I’d love to go to another leg of the competition but I don’t think I’ll have the chance to :(

4. stella October 21, 2013 at 11:01 am Reply

Dasy thanky you so much for the article! And @bitemeshowme hope to see u there too!

5. Keren October 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm Reply

Well, I know what I’m doing this weekend! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 21, 2013 at 9:16 pm Reply

Hahha YAY what day are you going? Wonder if we’ll bump into each other :)

• Keren October 22, 2013 at 8:25 am Reply

Knowing our decision making prowess we won’t know which day until it happens … I’m not sure what I’d do even if I did recognise someone at an event like that (I’ve improved a lot over the past few months but chances are still high that it would be ‘think about saying hi and then have a panic attack’). :$

6. hotlyspiced October 21, 2013 at 1:57 pm Reply

What a terrific outing. I love all the food and it is so beautifully presented. I too, find it hard to make a large quantity of risotto – so much stirring! I had no idea artisan gelato only lasts three days – I thought because it’s frozen it would last like ice cream! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm Reply

Definitely a lovely event :) I had lots of fun! And super excited for the actual event this weekend ~ I’m not very good at risotto it’s always sort of gluggy >_<

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm Reply

If the weather here is anything to go by, it’s perfect gelato weather! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 21, 2013 at 9:22 pm Reply

Couldn’t agree more Lorraine :) i hope it stays this warm and nice cuz it went back down to 16 degrees today!

8. threehanns78 October 22, 2013 at 12:28 am Reply

You sure live up your name miss Daisy, ill be there sunday to sample everyone of them especially tiramisu. Made coconut lime sorbet tonight. ..success!

9. Sarah October 22, 2013 at 7:45 am Reply

Wow! All that gelato! Your lunch looks fab too – I love Merchant! I think they do great risotto. :)

10. viveka October 22, 2013 at 9:13 am Reply

Very interesting, not a fan of Italian ice cream .. I’m a bit funny in many ways – my heart lays with Swizz Mövenpick. Not enough cream in Italian ice cream for my liking. That Slow cooked lamb could have for dinner tomorrow. World tour in gelato .. what an fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing it.