Salad and Cake – Famish’d

I have got to be one of the laziest person in the world! I don’t cook dinner cuz I’m too lazy and lately I’ve been so bad, I haven’t even been bringing my own lunch to work and buying it from cafes near my work >_< But sometimes it really annoys me when I go to the cafe downstairs and want to order a salad…it’s always the same and always overdressed with way too much mayonnaise! That’s when I really wished there was a Famish’d near my office! They are a cafe which specialises in serving fresh and healthy salads, spuds and soups :)

Famish'd new stall in Bourke St

Famish’d new stall in Bourke St

I’ve heard about Famish’d for a while and follow their Instagram account and it always makes hungry ~ but never got around to trying until recently when they opened up their second store on 555 Bourke St and they invited me and other bloggers Allan, Lianne and Scott to go visit them.

Salad bar

Salad bar

It’s may be a little tricky to find their new store because it’s in a courtyard of some office buildings, just look for the St James building and its on the corner of William St and Bourke St ~ The building itself isn’t new but the courtyard is new and has been revamped to make it very modern with lots of outdoor seating.

Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 1.52.21 AM

I got there at just before 12:30pm and there was already a good crowd of people rushing in and out of the cafe. I then saw Kara from Zilla and Brook waiting for us at a nice spacious table outside, and  introduced us to Georgia the founder and owner of Famish’d. It’s quite interesting but Georgia was actually a fully trained and practicing lawyer, but like me, she was getting really fed up with the limited breakfast and lunch options and not being able to find good quality salad and healthy options. And decided it was time for a career change and introduce these gourmet salads to market ~

Latte $3.5

Latte $3.5

We were offered a coffee to start with, I knew it was going to be good as they use St Ali coffee beans. The latte was at a good warm temperature and not too hot, which tasted quite nutty that day. I’m not much of a coffee snob like Mr Bao so I forgot to ask where the house blend came from ~

Little Chocolate Merengue

Little Chocolate Merengue

Each coffee came with a little chocolate merengue it’s so cute, it was crispy and had a little chocolate chip instead. Complimented very well with the coffee and giving me ideas to try and make them at home.

Famishd

It’s a simple to order, you just go to the counter, decide whether you want a DIY salad or some pre-made salads. If you’re not feeling like a salad and want something more substantial you can get a baked potato/sweet potato or soup during winter.

DIY Salad -

Design Your Own Sweet Potato $13

I chose to Design Your Own Sweet Potato with cheese, mushroom, corn, bacon spring onion and salsa. It’s massive with and so so so filling! I don’t think even a man can finish this :P I really appreciate that Famish’d have the option for sweet potato because I prefer it more than a baked potato. I loaded up with all my favourite ingredients and it was lovely! I mean you can never go wrong with that amount of bacon pieces and salsa!

Famishd7

There was so much filing, I had to really dig to find the sweet potato which was wonderfully warm, soft and fluffy. Just wondering what kind of toppings would you put on your spud? ~

Lianne's DIY Salad $11

Design-Your-Own Salad $11

Famish’d offers 4 to 5 freshly made salads but Lianne decided to Design-Your-Own salad option as well, similar as my spud, you got to choose 5 or toppings on top of your salad. Lianne’s salad base was a mix of greens then topped with corn, capsicum, pumpkin, chickpeas, avocado and bacon! We have very similar tastes so I liked all the toppings. Was quite surprised that the artichokes weren’t bitter and had a kind of nutty flavour. Neither of us could take finish our lunches and got a little take away box and that basically made up half of dinner that night :)

Sweet By Nature baked goodies

Sweet By Nature baked goodies

But you know me, I always have room for dessert, especially when they’re from Sweet By Nature, they produce some delicious baked goodies. I was having such a hard time choosing what I wanted to try, and that’s why Georgie and her team were so generous to make us up a little dessert platter to trial :D

Famishd9

Baked goodies $4-$5 per item

It basically had one of everything – lemon poppy cake, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, rocky road, lemon tart, lemon coconut slice, caramel slice, lamington, chocolate cake and last but not least red velvet cupcake. It’s really hard to pin point what was my favourite, but if I had to pick it’ll have to be the red velvet cupcake because the cake is moist and fluffy while the cream cheese frosting is smooth. The next would be their caramel slice, with a digestive biscuit base, caramel filling and topped with chocolate. Will need to find time to check out their cafe in Heidelberg one of these days ~

Panela Sugar

Panela Sugar

I was really excited when I saw that Famish’d sells bags of panela sugar, as I haven’t been able to find it. Panela sugar (obtained from the boiling and evaporation of sugarcane juice). I love the melt in your mouth taste from the panela sugar and that’s the only sugar they use in their coffee. I really enjoyed the lunch at Famish’d and can’t wait to come back and try out some of their other salads and special dressing such as their famous peanut sauce. Just a shame that they’re not walking distance to my office in the city because if it was, I’ll definitely be going there on a weekly if not daily basis for the salads and cakes!

Famish’d
555 Bourke St
Melbourne CBD
Ph: 9614 4905

Daisy@Nevertoosweet visited Famish’d as a guest of Famish’d and Zilla and Brook.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Salad and Cake – Famish’d

1. renxkyoko October 12, 2013 at 9:26 am Reply

Oh, my ! ! That is so delicious.

2. Hannah October 12, 2013 at 10:04 am Reply

Um, vegetables and dessert? That’s pretty much 98% of my entire diet.

3. Norma Chang October 12, 2013 at 10:53 am Reply

Love the Sweet Potato idea with all the toppings.

4. hotlyspiced October 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm Reply

You’re not lazy, Daisy, you’re just super busy! I love a serve-yourself salad bar. It’s great to create your own salads. I think the portions here are really generous and it looks like there’s terrific variety xx

5. kellysiew October 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm Reply

Love salad bars like these! :D Everything looks so fresh! I would have gone crazy.

6. viveka October 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm Reply

I have been using sweet potatoes for baking for about a year now … just loves it. I often eat them with grilled bacon and sour cream mixed with sweet chili sauce.
    Great review again – love the sweet wooden board – would have kept that all to me.
    This is a perfect lunch for me … salad by choice and cute cakes.

7. Sarah October 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm Reply

Yay! You got the panela sugar! My fave!

That place looks really good – I love that they sell a mix of healthy and decadent options! :)

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme October 14, 2013 at 9:00 am Reply

love how you can design your own salads. Genius idea – and it doesnt put you too out of pocket!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm Reply

yes that’s what I think and it saves me a lot of time because I’m too lazy to roast my own pumpkin and other things like that hehe :)

9. grabyourfork October 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm Reply

Love that they offer baked sweet potato, and I’m a huge fan of panela. I just eat it with a spoon. Oops. lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm Reply

Hahhaa it’s ok I’ve been doing that in the morning too because it melts in the mouth so yum yum!

10. Brunch Addict October 15, 2013 at 11:22 am Reply

Love Famish’d! I go to the Little Collin St one sometimes on my way to work for their nomly toasties.. YUM! Great pics gorgeous Miss SL xox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reply

Thanks lovely :) still learning how to use that big fat thing I carry around called a DSLR camera hehe! I need to go back soon I’m craving for their salads!

11. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 15, 2013 at 5:35 pm Reply

As a salad freak I’m rather enamoured by that salad! :O

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm Reply

Hahaha i think you would’ve really appreciated the salads here Lorraine :D

12. Agnes October 19, 2013 at 5:26 pm Reply

What a shame that little meringue was so little – but I’m sure you got your dose of sugar with the cakes afterwards. :p

The salads look really good, I’m so sad that I don’t work in the city. So few lunch options. :(

13. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) October 20, 2013 at 7:35 am Reply

How Awesome, I love the idea of this cafe, I wish we had something similar!
    …I am dying for a coffee too after looking at yours )

14. ironchefshellie October 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm Reply

Cute idea, I wish I had an awesome salad bar out in the stupid area that I work!

15. viveka October 22, 2013 at 9:17 am Reply

This is a place I would love to have my lunch .. the freshness … and I love baked sweet potatoes, something I had for the the first time last year. So a baked sweet potato for me .. and then a cappuccino and a chocolate addiction – perfect …