Aussie Favourites – Tim Tam Lamington Tart

When my family and friends from overseas ask me to buy something ‘Aussie’ back for them, I nearly always without fail buy them Tim Tams. They’re probably as obsessed about them as us Aussies :D Something else I buy back or make them are lamingtons. I know it’s often argued that the lamington originates from Britain or New Zealand, but to me they’re 100% Aussie and yes I’m biased :P

Tim Tam Lamington Tart

Tim Tam Lamington Tart

I was recently asked by Wesley Mission Australia, to create a recipe for their ‘Food For Families’ cookbook released later this year. It’s aimed for low-income families so recipes had to be affordable, easy to follow and even better if it uses one of the ingredients from the most common food donation list. I was really surprised by some of the food they receive such as instant mash potato and Tim Tams :) Didn’t know it was so common for people to donate them ~

Mr Bao and I discussed what we should make, and very quickly decided we’ll make something sweet with Tim Tams. We got quite serious with recipe testing and drew up different versions of the tart and eventually we came up with this ‘Tim Tam Lamington Tart’! It only uses 5 ingredients, takes 30 minutes to make and is a combination of Tim Tams and a lamington!

IMG_7297

If you like these two Aussie favourite – Tim Tams and Lamingtons, I’m sure you’ll like this tart :) Please try and let us know what you think!

Recipe – Tim Tam Lamington Tart

Yield - 2 mini tarts

Ingredients
Tim Tams 10 pieces (180grams)
Butter (melted) 60grams
Thickened Cream 300grams
Shredded Coconut 2-3 tablespoons
Strawberry jam 2-3 teaspoons
Crushed Tim Tams 1-2 pieces

Notes
- Make sure the tart is chilled well before assembling
- You can put more or less shredded coconut and jam according to how sweet you like it :)

Method
1) Place Tim Tams in a Ziploc bag and crush it using a rolling pin or place it in a food processor until it becomes a powder.

IMG_7284
2) Melt the butter in the microwave, and mix into the crushed Tim Tams until it resembles wet sand.
3) Tip mixture into tart cases and press firmly using the back of a spoon, place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or freezer for 15minutes.
4) While the tart is chilling, you can move onto making the filling, simply place the whipped cream in a clean bowl and whip until hard peaks.
5) To assemble gently remove the tart case from the tin, and spread a generous amount of whipped cream, shredded coconut, strawberry jam and finished off with some crushed Tim Tams.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

49 thoughts on “Aussie Favourites – Tim Tam Lamington Tart

1. Ev September 1, 2013 at 7:59 pm Reply

Interesting combo! I like the tile you used to serve it too – where is it from?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 6, 2013 at 2:53 pm Reply

Hello Ev :) thanks for dropping by I got that board from Typo in Melbourne hahhaa it’s not really a plate but a writing board i think but I just used it as a serving board!

2. Choc Chip Uru September 1, 2013 at 8:13 pm Reply

This could not be more Australian if you tried my friend, it looks absolutely magical :D
    YUM! I want to make this so badly right now!

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm Reply

Hahaha I couldn’t agree with you more lovely! It’s like the perfect dessert for Australia day! hope you make it soon ~ xox

3. Sarah September 1, 2013 at 10:54 pm Reply

That tart looks really delicious! And good on you for contributing a recipe to Wesley Mission Australia! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 6, 2013 at 3:50 pm Reply

Thanks Sarah :) i really wasn’t sure if this recipe was going to work but we did it the night before and it worked yay!

4. renxkyoko September 2, 2013 at 1:30 am Reply

This is the first time I’ve heard of Tim Tang. But it looks yummy.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:38 am Reply

Ohh really? When you come to Melbourne I’ll buy you a pack to try hehe ~

5. grabyourfork September 2, 2013 at 1:57 am Reply

Tim Tams are always a hit but I’ve found that Minties are sought after too! Love this dessert idea – two Aussie classics in one!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:39 am Reply

Hahha yes!!! Minties are my sister’s favourite too! Is it not possible to get over in Asia? LOL

6. glamorous glutton September 2, 2013 at 7:55 am Reply

We can’t get Tim Tams here but the Glam Teens loved them when we went to Bali. This tart is a wonderful recipe development. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:40 am Reply

Oh damn you can’t get them there! Let me know and I’m always happy to send you some! They’re really good and I don’t think anything can be compared hehe!

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme September 2, 2013 at 8:45 am Reply

What an awesome concoction!! You guys are so clever!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:40 am Reply

Not as clever as you lovely with your baking skills :) I’m just glad it turned out looking half decent hehe xox

8. cltyw September 2, 2013 at 10:07 am Reply

WoW!
    No-Bake Tim Tam Lamington Tart!!!
    What a great easy and convenience recipe. Good job!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:41 am Reply

Thanks babe :) so glad it turned out alright and it actually tasted like a lamington!!!

9. Hannah September 2, 2013 at 10:13 am Reply

Aw gorgeous! I mean, sure, I think it’s blasphemy to put jam in lamingtons, but I could easily leave that out. ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:42 am Reply

Hahaha why don’t you like jam in lamingtons? hehe that’s one of my favourite though!

10. steph | a little bit of tang September 2, 2013 at 10:18 am Reply

Wow ! That was super easy to make ! Here I was thinking you’d have to bake it .. or something.

Cream, Lamington and Tim Tams, what an excellent combination hehe !

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:43 am Reply

Oh sorry I really shoudl’ve named this a no-bake tim tam lamington tart!! But hope you’ll try it and give me some feedback xox

11. hotlyspiced September 2, 2013 at 10:24 am Reply

What an honour to be asked to be a part of such a great cookbook. Congrats, Daisy. I love what you came up with and I’m super impressed it requires just five ingredients xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:43 am Reply

Thanks Charlie :) It’s definitely an honour and awesome to be part of such a good cause! I was so worried that the tart was going to be super complex but turned out quite easy! Hope others will like it too xox

12. Julie September 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm Reply

YUMMY good work guys :D and yay for the cookbook!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:44 am Reply

YAY Thanks lovely! Glad it turned out alright and looking forward to see the cookbook too! :)

13. milkteaxx September 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reply

i love tim tams and probably eat too many of them! im defs trying this one out!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 7, 2013 at 11:45 am Reply

Hahaha it’s fine!! I eat too much of everything so don’t stress :D

14. vegeTARAian September 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm Reply

This is GENIUS!! Sounds like a fantastic sweet treat

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 11:27 am Reply

Thanks Tara :) so glad you like it because we really weren’t sure how it was going to turn out! Please try and let me know ;)

15. Ashley September 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm Reply

What a fun and simple idea! Love how playful this is, will have to try it out sometime! :)

16. ironchefshellie September 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm Reply

I don’t understand the appeal of tim tams. I can take them or leave them and generally leave them. This looks good though, love me a lamington and a tart!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 11:37 am Reply

Same here lol to be honest I don’t think I’ve ever really had serious cravings for Tim Tams but once in a while if they’re in front of me I’ll have it :) But with the addition of cream, coconut and jam it does make them a little more attractive hehe xox

17. Winston September 2, 2013 at 10:48 pm Reply

So cute, quick and simple to make! I always buy the Arnott’s Mint Slices back to Malaysia for my family cause Mum and Bro has to have a piece after dinner almost everynight. So need to buy a huge stash every trip haha. Great recipe Daisy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 11:49 am Reply

Hhahaa that’s so funny that so many people from overseas like the cookies and biscuits from Australia ;) My sister loves minties too hehe!

18. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 3, 2013 at 1:14 pm Reply

Hehe I didn’t know that the lamington came from NZ! I know that the pavlova is a hotly contested item though. Perhaps we share a lot more items than I thought !:D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply

Hhahaa I’ve just been told that there are debates about them so don’t count me on it hehe either way we do share a lot recipes :)

19. Christine (@cookingcrusade) September 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm Reply

What a delicious sounding tart Daisy and sooo Aussie! This would be perfect for Australia Day!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply

Thanks Christine :) Is there anything as being Too Aussie? hehe

20. Michelle @ The Bakeanista September 3, 2013 at 8:18 pm Reply

I don’t think any other desserts can get any more Aussie than this! xD But in all seriousness, what a clever idea babe – perfect for the cause too! :)

And Tim Tams! I used to indulge in them during my first year – can get through a pack by myself in 2 days. I think I had a tad too much then, got over Tim Tams and now no longer get tempted by them. Haha!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 11:53 am Reply

Hhahaa I know what you mean I went on this crazy bagel craze and now I haven’t had them for a while but I think sooner or later I’m gonna want to eat them again so give it some time ;)

Super Aussie hahaha and it wasn’t even intentional just ended up being marrying the two aussie desserts together hehe

21. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) September 4, 2013 at 11:35 am Reply

I think you made a great choice Daisy… I have no idea what you would do with the mash potato :0!
    This recipe looks so simple and delicious… plus So Australian :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm Reply

Absolutely Julie! Wouldn’t know if i should bake with the mash potato or use it as a side hehe ~ Glad you liked the recipe!

22. Cara @ Gourmet Chick September 6, 2013 at 10:56 pm Reply

This tart looks amazing – and how cool that you are going to be in a cook book!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm Reply

Thank you :) It’s very excitig to be in a cook book can’t wait hehe

23. Nic@diningwithastud September 13, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reply

I wouldn’t have thought Tim Tams would be so popular to donate either. What an easy and delicious tart :)

24. […] Never Too Sweet / Via nevertoosweetforme.com […]