PB, Nutella & Jam Brioche – Devon Cafe Sydney

August is a busy month for us :) I just got back from Hong Kong, but last weekend Mr Bao and I jetted off to Sydney for a weekend getaway. We were in and out of Sydney within 40 hours but it was jam packed and we still managed to hit up quite a few place and meet up with many people ~

photo

We planned the getaway for our anniversary and for us to just spend sometime together, because Hong Kong is always hectic visiting family and friends. I was really surprised when I arrived at the hotel room and found a beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting for me! A trip to Sydney is already a special treat so I didn’t expect anything else. Mr Bao was very thoughtful and got me gerbera as they resembled sunflowers which is what I like the most. It was also surrounded roses and all sorts of pretty flowers! Definitely made my day :D

Shameless Selfie :P

Shameless Selfie :P

Anyhow, like all our other trips we visited so many places, once again my backlog is exploding, but I will try and share with you some of our experiences. First place I wanted to introduce you to will be Devon Cafe in Surrey Hills.

Devon Cafe

Devon Cafe

It was surprisingly close to our hotel and we were able to walk over there within 5 minutes, it on a side of Surrey Hills that I haven’t been before, closer to Central Station and located on Devonshire St is is Devon Cafe. They’re relatively new, been open for 3 months but quickly become the new ‘MUST-GO’ cafe ~

Devon Cafe

We arrived bright and early on a Sunday to avoid the crowd, and sat at the large communal table in front of the coffee machines. Looking at the menu, it reminded me very much of cafes in Melbourne, where they serve interesting dishes. We ended up having a chat with the owner and he reveals that one of their chef is indeed from Melbourne which makes a lot of sense :)

Mocha $3.5

Mocha $3.5

My usual mocha was everything but ordinary, it was amazing. Had the great balance between coffee and chocolate, where neither overpowered each other, instead co-existed very well. I think my perception of ‘Sydney has no good coffee’ has definitely changed!

Double Ristetto Latte $3.5

Double Ristetto Latte $3.5

Mr Bao has now learned in Sydney, if you want a ‘Magic’ you will order a ‘Double Ristretto Latte’ which is essentially the same thing ~ He was immediately impressed with the house blend from…. he also had a good chat with the barista and discussed how ‘full-bodied’ it was and also had notes of ‘grapes’.

Two chicks in Basque $14

Two chicks in Basque $14

The menu is small but sufficient, I ordered the ‘Two Chicks in Basque’ lol such a cute name and very Spanish to me :P It was baked eggs with, piperade (stew of bell peppers), pistou (sauce made from garlic, fresh basil and olive oil) and also had goat cheese on top. It was a very hearty dish and probably more suitable for the cold weather in Melbourne, as opposed to the warm sunny weather Sydney had. I really liked the spice and flavour from the piperade and pistou, went very well with the toasted sourdough. The eggs was also perfectly cooked, and the soft texture reminded me of 63 degree eggs. However, I didn’t quite like the goats cheese on top, as it was quite gamey for me but Mr Bao liked it.

Breakie with Sakuma's $23

Breakie with Sakuma’s $23

Mr Bao chose something from the specials menu that day, it was the ‘Breakie with Sakuma’, miso grilled kind fish salmon fillet with smoked egg croquette, 63 degree egg and kewpie mayonnaise. It has everything Mr Bao likes, and definitely enjoyed all the components, the grilled salmon was cooked perfectly with a ‘oily’ texture, but wasn’t too rich. But our favourite was the smoked egg croquette made with rice, and then deep fried so much flavour and went so well with the creamy Kewpie mayonnaise. Mr Bao’s not a fan of 63 degree eggs but I sure am! Love the texture of them :D

Devon Cafe2

To help with digestion, Mr Bao ordered a Chemex which is a paper filtered coffee, it’s always nice to visit a cafe where the staff are so friendly and willing to spend the time to explain the coffees.

Chemex $4 Single Origin from Ethiopia

Chemex $4 Single Origin from Ethiopia

It was a single origin from Ethiopia, very strong bodied and earthy as I overheard Mr Bao and the Barista chatting hahaha I’m still scratching my head what it means, but it smelt so good!

Little Lost Bread $16

Little Lost Bread $16

I already had my eyes on this dessert as soon as I saw the menu, its got a cute name ‘Little Lost Bread’ I’m not sure what it stands for, but this dessert has my name all over it! A brioche french toasted topped with a grilled banana, huge dollop of nutella, jam and most importantly peanut-butter ice-cream! Could you imagine the goofy smile on my face! It tasted even better, everything went so well with each other and was simply divine. Highly recommend this to all PB-lovers, Nutella-lovers or any dessert-lovers like me :D

Mr Bao and I always like visiting Sydney, we love the vibe of the city and being able to catch up with friends. Just wished we were able to spend more time and not just a short weekend trip, I’m going to have to start scheming and watch out for cheap tickets :) And yes will revisit Devon Cafe because I want more of that brioche toast!

Devon Cafe on Urbanspoon

Ps. Thank you everyone for the sweet anniversary comments, we’re grateful that we’ve been able to go through some of the tough times and now looking forward to the future has planned for us xox

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

39 thoughts on “PB, Nutella & Jam Brioche – Devon Cafe Sydney

1. Ramen Raff August 21, 2013 at 9:10 am Reply

Love love love Devon! Their coffee is amazing and glad they use coffee alchemy beans. Double ris of thise beans on lattes or flat whites do give out a grapey flav! Errmahgerd the PBJ french toast is epic!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm Reply

Couldnt’ agree with you more :) It’s awesome and wished I could visit again but it’ll definitely be next time when I go to Sydney ~ maybe i can try making the french toast at home hehe

2. Catherine August 21, 2013 at 9:19 am Reply

Congrats on the anniversary! We also recently celebrated ours as well hehe that cafe seems to have a Melbourne vibe! All the dishes sound really good, especially the dessert one!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm Reply

Thanks lovely can’t believe it’s 4 years already hahaha :) Feels like yesterday when we firsted started going out lol Yes the cafe definitely has the Melbourne-feel to it especially when one of the chefs is from Melbourne hehe ~

3. milkteaxx August 21, 2013 at 10:11 am Reply

i wash ere less than an hour ago and had little lost bread for breakfast. feeling heaps guilty but so satisfied!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm Reply

Hhahaha really? Do you work super close to Devon? You’re so lucky!

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme August 21, 2013 at 10:15 am Reply

Happy anniversary! So glad you managed to make the trip to devon. It’s so good! Wish we could have met up too, but you’re such a social butterfly there’s so many people you need to catch up with! hahaha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm Reply

Thank you dearie :) i know i’m the worse when it comes to planning who to meet and things like that because I always have so many things I want to do and people to meet but never enough time! I promise next time :) And really hope you’ll be coming back to Melbourne soon! xox

5. Hannah August 21, 2013 at 10:16 am Reply

Happy anniversary!!

6. Miss Piggy August 21, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

This is a great cafe – the little lost bread is to die for! We do have loads of great coffee in Sydney…you must be visiting the wrong places!

Happy anniversary!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 2:50 pm Reply

Thank you :) I’m not sure why but I just always thought coffee was bettter in Melbourne but I think you’re right it’s because I go to the wrong place and because I’m bias totally changed my mind though !

7. hotlyspiced August 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm Reply

Your Mr Bao is so thoughtful. How wonderful to be surprised with a bouquet of flowers. They’re gorgeous! I haven’t been to the Devon Cafe. I must! Because the food looks lovely and I’m often over there seeing my Archie (that’s where he goes to Uni). I hope we can catch up next time you’re in Sydney. We did put on some wonderful weather for you! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 2:41 pm Reply

Thank you very much Charlie :) Yes it’s such a shame we didn’t get the chance to meet up this time but I’m going to make an effort to come back very soon ~ Because I really like Sydney! Ohhh you’re going to have to Devon Cafe on your ‘list’ since you’re in the area so much already ~ And I couldn’t help but love the warm sunny spring weather! xox

8. Choc Chip Uru August 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm Reply

Ngawww Mr Bao is adorable :D
    Happy anniversary!

CCU

9. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm Reply

Isn’t it wonderful when they don’t stop being romantic. I wish I knew. :)

The food does look good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm Reply

Hahhahaa you’re too funny Maureen :) The food was definitely delicious do you go to Sydney much?

10. eilxrrr August 21, 2013 at 7:22 pm Reply

so cute! glad you liked it

11. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) August 21, 2013 at 8:55 pm Reply

hahahha you are way too cute BBFF!!

12. kellysiew August 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm Reply

Both the savoury dishes look excellent I wouldn’t know which to pick! Btw French toast in French is Pain Perdu which means Lost bread. Hehehe hence the little lost bread!

Happy Anniversary! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 12:30 pm Reply

Ohhh duhhh that’s why it’s called Little Lost Bread hehe I can be so dense sometimes hahaha it was so delicious and if I stayed for longer I think I would’ve ordered more dishes to try! ~ When are you coming back? We should go to Sydney together!!

Thanks lovely! We had a lovely weekend getaway but now back to work sadddddd :'(

• kellysiew August 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm Reply

Hahaha nevertheless it’s still creative that they use the literal translation. I think next year we will be back, so there will be some eating sprees and potluck happening!

13. grabyourfork August 22, 2013 at 12:50 am Reply

Nawww happy anno! You guys ate up Sydney good! And the Little Lost Bread has your name all over it :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm Reply

Thanks you Helen :) We definitely tried to hit up all the places we could in 40 hours but I do wish we could spend more time next time and perhaps we can meet up again!

14. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm Reply

Happy Anniversary darling Daisy and Mr Bao! Love that selfie of you-pouting suits you! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 27, 2013 at 11:57 pm Reply

Thank you Lorraine :) I’m glad you guys weren’t too put off by my selfie hehe ~

15. steph | a little bit of tang August 22, 2013 at 10:44 pm Reply

Let us know when you come up to Sydney again :) And yes, food from Devon Cafe. The desserts have my heart :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 27, 2013 at 11:57 pm Reply

Sure thing would love to come back to Sydney again :) will let you know when I do ~

16. gourmetgetaway August 23, 2013 at 7:04 am Reply

I will have to add this to my list of places to visit, it looks so delicious!!
    What a sweetheart Mr Boa is too :) Happy Anniversary :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 27, 2013 at 11:58 pm Reply

Thank you my dear :) It was a lovely way to celebrate our anniversary! You definitely need to visit Devon when you get the chance!

17. libishski August 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm Reply

YAY! Happy Anniversary, you gaizzzzzzzz!

Weekend trips to Sydney are always good fun. Looking forward to reading about your Sydney adventures again (and not to mention the rest of your HK ones!).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 27, 2013 at 11:59 pm Reply

Thank you Libby :) Still can’t believe it’s 4 years lol gosh!

I think weekend trips to Sydney are the best just wished we could spend more time there, so much to eat and see hehe ~ omg…let’s not even start talking about my backlog its insane and uncontrollable hahaha

18. msihua (@msihua) August 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm Reply

Happy Anni again! You guys are sooo cute :P

19. Christine (@cookingcrusade) August 26, 2013 at 4:21 pm Reply

Happy Anniversary Daisy! I love that second photo of you with your flowers hehe. I’ve been meaning to visit Devon Cafe for ages, that Japanese breakfast looks amazing and so does the PBJ French Toast!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 28, 2013 at 12:09 am Reply

Thank you! so glad we spent it in Sydney! Just wished we had more time to spend there :) Try and go to Devon Cafe soon they serve some really good dishes! Hope you’ve been well!

20. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) August 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm Reply

Aaaw Habby Belated Anniversary TT! AND what a perfect way to spend it together by doing an eating spree! Lol. Too awesome. So cool to know you both have your love for food in common. Can you imagine your partner not being into food??!! ***chokes****