Matchaholic’s Dream – Sin Mei Tea

So my Dearest Readers I have a lot of sweets that I like but there are some flavours that I’m crazy about and one of them is MATCHA! For those who aren’t familiar Matcha is powdered form of Japanese green tea, depending on the strength of the matcha it can have a unique flavour and can in some cases be quite bitter. That’s why I find it’s either a flavour you like or don’t like :)

Sin Mei Tea

Sin Mei Tea – Can you see Sin Mei in the background? :)

I have been very lucky and have met quite a few Matchaholics in Hong Kong especially Minnie (Instagram @minnie2mac) she is the biggest matchaholic that I know ~ I have been drooling over her matcha desserts and drinks she’s been indulding at Sin Mei Tea in Hong Kong. That’s why I put it on the top of my list this time going back!

CS Tower in Sheung Wan

CS Tower in Sheung Wan

Sin Mei Tea is actually named after the owner herself, Sin Mei. She is a tea lover and came up with the idea of a modern tea cafe because she felt that this was something Hong Kong lacked. You might be a little confused when you arrive at Sin Mei Tea, because it’s located in a commercial building on Wing Lok Street in Sheung Wan. But don’t worry just head up the elevators and when you arrive on level 5, you will immediately smell the tea and a chic cafe.

Matcha Snow White $42HKD ($5.8AUD)

Matcha Snow White $42HKD ($5.8AUD)

I managed to persuade few people to go with me so I could try more things ~ Mr Bao, Minnie, Ivan (@ivanypng) and Yuki (@yukis_world). It’s summer in Hong Kong so everyday is like over 30 degrees and extremely humid so we all started off with a refreshing drink. I was the first to order and got the Matcha Snow white, which is like an iced matcha latte with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. It was rather milky and creamier than I expected, matcha flavour was subtle and I would’ve liked some more but was quite refreshing.

Matcha Mojito $42

Matcha Mojito $42HKD ($5.8AUD)

Mr Bao wanted something less creamy and chose the Matcha Mojito with matcha, fresh mint leaves, lime and soda. We both agreed that the mint was quite overpowdering and definitely down played the matcha flavour, but he still enjoyed it finished it in a flash.

Soya Matcha $42HKD ($5.8AUD)

Soya Matcha $42HKD ($5.8AUD)

Minnie is like a VIP here lol I swear she comes here at least once a week. That day she felt like a Soya matcha which is similar to my Matcha snow white without the ice-cream and was made from soy milk instead. I had a sip and found that the soy milk matched the bitterness from the matcha quite well and gave it an extra nutty flavour hmmm I think I’ll order this next time :)

Matcha chiffon cake with match icing $38HKD ($5.2AUD)

Matcha chiffon cake with matcha icing $38HKD ($5.2AUD)

Now that we’re done with drinks it’s time for matcha flavoured desserts! First thing we got was the matcha chiffon cake with matcha buttercream frosting. I find my matcha cakes tend to be a little dry and sometimes dense, so I was really impressed with the light airy texture of this chiffon cake. The green tea flavour in the cake was once again a little on the lighter side, but the intense matcha frosting definitely made up for it. I could’ve just ate the frosting and I’d be happy!

Matcha panna cotta

Matcha panna cotta

The matcha panna cotta was actually a special request from Minnie and Ivan, Sin Mei doesn’t make it every day and when she does they’re usually sold out within hours! So glad we got one each because this was definitely the richest, smoothest matcha panna cotta I have ever had! I also liked the mango slices on top that was shaped liked a flower :D Put a smile to my face! I may or may not have got the recipe from Sin Mei ~ But not sure if she’ll be happy for me to post it onto my blog but I’ll ask and hopefully will have the chance to share it with you too!

Matcha fondant with vanilla ice-crema $68HKD ($9.3AUD)

Matcha fondant with vanilla ice-crema $68HKD ($9.3AUD)

One matcha dessert that I can make and do it reasonably well at home, would be a matcha fondant, do you remember the giant one I had at Intercontinental Hotel at the start of the year? This was definitely much smaller but still just as good.

Perfect texture!

Perfect texture!

We carefully made an incision and slowly but steady a flow of green lava started oozing out, and that’s why I realised that it’s much thinner and smoother than my batter at home… meaning I have some experimenting to do! As for taste and texture it was close to spot on for me, just personally because I am such a matchaholic I would’ve added maybe a tiny tad more of matcha but if not it’s pretty much a perfect matcha fondant!

Matcha Cheesecake $40 ($5.5AUD)

Matcha Cheesecake $40 ($5.5AUD)

Just when you thought I couldn’t have enough matcha desserts, the last one was the matcha cheesecake, digestive base then a thick layer of matcha cream cheese. Ummmm we actually had two of them hehe and the first one had a merengue topping but wasn’t very photogenic so I think the naked one looks better ~ This had a good matcha flavour and bitterness was balanced out quite well with the cream cheese. Next on to make list ‘matcha cheesecake’!

Matcha Soul $32HKD($4.4AUD)

Matcha Soul $32HKD($4.4AUD)

I was close to being matchaed-out but Sin Mei was so kind and made me their signature ‘Matcha Soul’ latte, which has green tea, soya milk, honey, almond, sultanas and cinnamon flowers. Wow it has so many flavours that it’s quite hard to describe, but I think the best way would to be say it’s like a Matcha chai latte. It has the matcha flavour in the background but on top it has the cinnamon flowers, sweetness from the sultanas and honey. It gets a little complex with the soya milk and faked almonds but if you like chai latte and matcha this is THE drink for you ;)

That concludes my first visit to Sin Mei, I’m sure it’s not going to be my last, because I thoroughly enjoyed both the sweets and drinks ~ Sin Mei is also very friendly and turns out she’s an Aussie too! She use to live in Brisbane but moved back to Hong Kong a couple of years ago :) Sin Mei Tea is definitely any matchaholic’s dream come true!

Sinmei Tea House
5/F, CS Tower, 50 Wing Lok Street
Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
上環永樂街50號昌盛大廈5樓
PH:3690 8238

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

29 thoughts on “Matchaholic’s Dream – Sin Mei Tea

1. Peggy August 12, 2013 at 8:56 am Reply

I just went there last Saturday. Love their Matcha angle cake & the Matcha fondant!! About to blog it soon!!! :D But the panna cotta wasn’t available that day i went there! So, i didn’t try it!!! Looks really yummy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reply

Oh damn you didn’t get to try the Matcha panna cotta >_< It's really good! Think it's time you went back hehe can't wait to read about your blog post too!

2. Catherine August 12, 2013 at 9:24 am Reply

I seriously need to find a place that does matcha fondant – that would be my dream dessert *_*

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:13 pm Reply

Awwww I hope you find a place that does, if not I am more than happy to make it for you! :)

3. Sam James (@kenkotea) August 12, 2013 at 10:45 am Reply

Looks great, never knew some people were so crazy about matcha desserts!! I’ll have to try make some this week.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:15 pm Reply

Hahhaa there are many many people who are crazy about Matcha :P I still have so many more matcha posts coming up hehe ~

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme August 12, 2013 at 11:22 am Reply

Love all things matcha! This post has def inspired me to make more things matcha :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:16 pm Reply

Me too! Anything with matcha is my best friend glad this has inspired you in some way hehe :) Can’t wait to see what you make! xx

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm Reply

That matcha panna cotta is gorgeous! I’ve had one really bitter matcha experience and figured it wasn’t for me. I’ll give it another try. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm Reply

Ohhh sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Matcha but I’ve had some really bitter matcha desserts so I know exactly where you are coming from! It’s really important for the person making it to be careful and not put too much in ~

6. hotlyspiced August 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm Reply

That’s a lot of greenery! I love the plate the cheesecake has been served on. And I think I’d like to try that cheesecake. So many desserts! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm Reply

Hahaha yes all green and all so delicious :) The plates they use remind me a lot of the ones sold at Made In Japan in Melbourne I’ll bring you next time you come bet you’ll like it ~ xox

7. liannelow August 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm Reply

Matcha matcha matcha! Everything looks amazing and that fondant. OH-EM-GEE!!!! Still need to taste the one you make! Can’t wait for our matcha party!!! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:23 pm Reply

Yesss the fondant was the besttttt :) I can’t wait to make it for the matcha party or just come over and I’ll make it for you :D

• liannelow August 14, 2013 at 10:01 pm Reply

Will take you up on that offerr!!! xx

8. Hannah August 13, 2013 at 2:27 am Reply

THIS IS THE DREAM. You better make that matcha cheesecake soon ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm Reply

YES i am absolutely dreaming hehe! I will make the matcha cheesecake soon and will post the recipe ;)

9. missemzyy August 13, 2013 at 7:57 am Reply

wow thats a lot of matcha! haha I have not tried it before and love green tea, so I will have to find somewhere in sydney that has it! everything looks delicious, especially the panna cotta with the mango flower!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm Reply

Awww you haven’ tried it before damn hope you find some matcha desserts to try soon because it really is so delicious but once again it’s not for everyone hehe ~

10. Norma Chang August 13, 2013 at 10:10 am Reply

All gorgeous.

11. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 13, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

I like green tea but hubby doesn’t so we don’t often order it because he won’t eat half. But when I’m with my friends we do! Have you met Catty from My Catty Life? She loves matcha too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:33 pm Reply

Yes yes I know Catty :) She’s one of the first bloggers that encouraged me to start my own blog ~ I never use to be so crazy but I’m getting worse by the day hahaha I know what you mean Lorraine I have friends who don’t like it too and wont go near it!

12. HK Epicurus August 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm Reply

Daisy, bet you didn’t know I come here like 2-3 times a week too ! I just hardly post pics but I come relax after work for a drink here hehe ..

I came with @eilxrrr_ & @jennylooo here before as well! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 8:39 pm Reply

Oh wow I really didn’t know that you came so much hehe ~ That’s awesome wished there was a Sin Mei near where I worked…..oh I don’t know these people hehe maybe will meet them next time~

13. gourmetgetaway August 14, 2013 at 5:12 pm Reply

WOW!!!
    So many Matcha desserts, I would definitely give mojito a go! … and the lava cake pic with the flowing matcha is awesome!!!

14. kellysiew August 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm Reply

You really are crazy about matcha! I need to look for a really green one, I baked some matcha cookies last time but they don’t look green enough for me, hehe.

15. Matcha madness! | *Food Journey* August 15, 2013 at 12:19 am Reply

[…] For some more matcha goodness, go check out Daisy’s experience at Sinmei Tea: Matchaholic’s Dream. […]

16. milkteaxx August 15, 2013 at 11:08 am Reply

am so jealous of all your matcha adventures, drooling profusely!