Thai Style Afternoon Tea – Mango Tree

Hello everyone! I’m back in Melbourne :) Two weeks has just whizzed past! It doesn’t even feel like I was away for that long. We arrived early Monday, and immediately went to work, even though I was working from home had quite a few things to do and then went back to the office the next day. And to make things even more hectic, it was Mr Bao and my 4th year anniversary ~ we’re still a little jet-lagged so we just had a simple dinner to celebrate and gonna do something on the weekend to make up for it.

Mango Tree1

Mango Tree

So once again I’m sorry for the lack of posts, but give me a little more time and i’ll be back on track! So I have so many places I’d love to blog about, but I don’t have the time, so I thought this short afternoon post will be great ~ It’s actually quite interesting because it’s a Thai-inspired afternoon tea!

Mango Tree

It was my last couple of days in Hong Kong, and my sister Macy wanted to have afternoon tea with my before I left. I was really surprised and impressed when she suggested Mango Tree, because she usually isn’t the foodie and quite honestly doesn’t really like food :P Mango Tree has been on my list for quite some time, since it came to Hong Kong last year. It originates from Bangkok and I heard it’s quite famous there too ~

Thai Style Afternoon Tea

Thai Style Afternoon Tea for 2 $468 plus 10%

We decided to order the Deluxe High Tea set for two, which came with a 3-tier stand and two drinks. I couldn’t stop staring at the stand when the waitress placed it down on our table. I have never had a Thai style afternoon tea and was still expecting scones and jams :P Instead it was replaced with Thai steamed cakes.

Large King prawns, Pandan chicken and prawn crackers

Large King prawns, Pandan chicken and prawn crackers

Starting with the bottom layer, there’s two large king prawns which was chargrilled with a great smokey flavour and the meat was juicy and sweet. Poor Win Win she was so jealous when she saw the photo because she really likes prawns ~ It also had pandan chicken that was flavoursome and prawn crackers with a pork filling that was quite spicy.

Green papaya salad, grapefruit salad and rice paper rolls

Green papaya salad, grapefruit salad and rice paper rolls

In the middle, it was all salad veggie based dishes, the large bowl was a green papaya salad with a peeled prawn, one of my favourite, but it was too spicy for Macy and Mr Bao. So I basically had both bowls hehe, the grapefruit salad topped with a little piece of crab meat was milder in flavour and refreshing. The rice paper rolls in the middle had avocado, mango and cucumber filling, unfortunately we found it a little bland.

3 different sauces

3 different sauces

Glad the afternoon tea came with 3 different sauces, first one that was more sour than spicy, the middle was a sweeter honey type sauce and the last one was a sweet chilli sauce :)

Desserts - steamed pandan cake, mango cheesecake and steamed coconut cake

Desserts – steamed pandan cake, mango cheesecake and steamed coconut cake

The top layer was all Thai desserts YAY! My favourite would have to be the steamed coconut cake with a sweet corn filling at the bottom if you like coconut you will like this! Steamed pandan cake reminded me of the Malaysian kueh cakes flavours were subtle and really like the texture. There was also a mango cheesecake paired with fresh mango, cheesecake was rich and had a firm texture, but what we liked the most was the super sweet fresh mangoes.

Mixed satays $140 plus 10% service charge

Mixed satays $140 plus 10% service charge

Because Mr Bao joined us for afternoon tea we decided to add the mixed satays (pork, chicken and beef) they were piping hot and fresh, I particularly liked the peanut sauce hmmm wish I could have had more!

Fresh Young Coconut (included in afternoon tea)

Fresh Young Coconut (included in afternoon tea)

Macy and I both ordered the Fresh Young Coconut, it was an extremely hot and humid day over at least 30 degrees, so a young coconut was so freshly and definitely quenched my thirst. I also love scooping the meat inside :D Do you do that too?

Lychee Mojito $95 plus 10% service charge

Lychee Mojito $95 plus 10% service charge

Mr Bao felt like a lychee mojito, it was quite strong but still sweet enough from the lychee liquor, however, he felt that there was a little too much mint and overpowered the drink.

Overall, we all really enjoyed the afternoon tea here, it’s a good change from the traditional afternoon teas and it offered more savoury options which was another bonus for Mr Bao. Would definitely recommend this afternoon tea to anyone who likes Thai food and wants something different ~ I’m looking forward to coming back to Mango Tree next time and trying their dinner dishes.

Mango Tree
Shop 2032, Elements,
1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui, HK
PH: +852 2668 4884
Email: enquiry@mangotree.com.hk

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “Thai Style Afternoon Tea – Mango Tree

1. Hannah August 8, 2013 at 9:05 am Reply

Happy anniversary!! And oh my, I’m not one for traditional high teas (they kinda bore me), but I would go so hard for this!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:22 am Reply

Thank you! Can’t beleive it’s been 4 years hehe hmm I can’t say I like Thai high teas more :P

2. Tina @ bitemeshowme August 8, 2013 at 10:22 am Reply

Welcome back and happy anniversary. You call that afternoon tea? I think that’s my dinner. haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:16 am Reply

Thank you lovely girl :) you’re always so kind! Hahahha i was quite surprised at the food we got too but it was actually quite a lovely change hehe

3. Peggy August 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reply

I want to try this so bad!!!! Still hasn’t get time to try it.

4. Hotly Spiced August 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm Reply

It sounds like you’ve been super busy. I certainly have never been to a Thai afternoon tea. I do like the look of those satays even though they weren’t part of the afternoon tea menu. Happy anniversary to you and Mr Bao and I’m sure you will do something special to celebrate xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:08 am Reply

Hi Charlie :) Yes I have been super busy lately but it’s good always nice to go away and visit family ~ I agree even though the satays weren’t part of the afternoon tea it was very delicious! Thank you can’t believe it’s been 4 years already wow! Hope you’ve been well too xox

5. The Lu Life August 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm Reply

WHAT?!?! There are king prawns in Thai afternoon tea?!?! I think this may just trump English afternoon tea…

6. Luke Calvert August 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm Reply

I love Thai desserts, I remember when I was over there I’d buy cakes off the motorbike stall.

I’m also a lover of coconut juice, and yeas I also scoop out the flesh and eat it. Looking forward to drinking some coconut when summer comes around.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:06 am Reply

That’s awesome that you can just buy the cakes on the street :) Wish we could do that in Melbourne ~ I love eating and drinking young coconut hehe

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 9, 2013 at 11:01 am Reply

What a lovely looking afternoon tea! I’m in Bangkok at the moment and it all looks so familiar to me :D I’m obsessed with coconut water-I scoop the meat inside the coconut too! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 11:49 pm Reply

Ohh i can’t wait to read all about your adventures in Bangkok and nothing is as satisfying as being able to scoop all the coconut meat out :D

8. milkteaxx August 9, 2013 at 11:30 am Reply

thats such an awesome concept! pandan chicken is a fav of mine!

9. Christina @ The Hungry Australian August 10, 2013 at 12:53 am Reply

I love fresh young coconut and we had it on our recent holiday, too! What a great way to spend time with your sister. Looks like you had a ball.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 13, 2013 at 11:57 pm Reply

I wish it was easier to open Young Coconuts because I would get them heaps more at home hehe ~ I had such a great time wish we could spend more time together :)

10. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 10, 2013 at 11:44 am Reply

Four years? Congratulations to you both. What a fantastic way to celebrate!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 14, 2013 at 12:03 am Reply

Thank you Maureen it’s been much longer than I thought hehe :)

11. libishski August 10, 2013 at 4:02 pm Reply

Woohooo! Great to see you the other night!

And once again, happy anniversary to you and Ricky.

Love the look of this high tea – the more savouries, the better… in my opinion anyway!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 14, 2013 at 12:09 am Reply

Thanks dearie :) it was great to see you too! sorry i think i was a bit tired and kinda out of it hehe ~

I can’t believe it’s been 4 years already gosh I’m starting to forget LOL

haha you will totally love this high tea so much more :P

12. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) August 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm Reply

What a delicious and unique looking high tea! I loved everything on the stands, especially those huge prawns!! WOW!
    Congratulations on your 4 year anniversary.

13. msihua (@msihua) August 11, 2013 at 9:59 pm Reply

Congrats again! SOOOO LOMANTIC *wink* *wink*

14. liannelow August 12, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply

Loved loved loved the thai theme high tea! Those desserts definitely caught my eyes (and belly!) hehe

Happy 4th year anniversary to you once again dearie!!! More magical years to come!! xx

15. Sarah August 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm Reply

That’s such a cute idea, and the tier looks incredible! (Especially the enormous prawns!!)

Happy anniversary to you and Mr Bao! :)

16. piggyeatalot December 9, 2013 at 11:06 pm Reply

Hey Daisy it’s funny cos a few months back I saw this Thai high tea on Open Rice and have been wanting to try that when I go to HK. Then I stumbled upon your blog about it again today :). Must be fate! I will def need to visit when I am in HK now!