Winter Break – HK Summer 2013

My smart clever Readers :) Have you noticed once again I have gone quiet? Less posts and definitely slower at replying to your lovely messages? I’m terribly sorry! But I’ve actually flown back to HK for a Winter Break and spend some time with family and friends! This post is more of an update of what I’ve been doing lately ~

Grab n Go!

Grab n Go!

There’s a few reasons why I’m back first is to celebrate my Dad’s birthday! It’s been a couple of years since I’ve celebrated his birthday with him, as I’m usually in Melbourne during this time :)

Dad's birthday cake

Dad’s birthday cake

How pretty is this fruit cake! The base is an almond sponge cake then topped with smaller sponge cakes, fresh cream and covered with loads of fruit! My nephew and niece and were excited and kept asking for more hehe

Birthday Boy

Birthday Boy

Then two days later was Aden’s 3rd birthday party!!! His favourite character is Buzz Lightyear so that was the theme of the party ~ I rarely go to Kid’s parties but this one was fun with loads of games and food for the kiddies! Hahaha I love this picture of him and the rainbow afro!

I'm a proud Auntie!

I’m a proud Auntie!

I don’t post many photos of myself…but I’m a super proud Auntie so a Selfie with Aden is most appropriate :P Wished I had more time to spend with this little man!

I have also been doing a LOT of EATING!!! Something I do very well :D oh and don’t forget the shopping hehe! Starting with the first meal was Chinese with my family and we always get steamed fish! I’m not a fan of rice but can eat a bowl when its drenched in the soy sauce ~

Steamed Fish

Steamed Fish

I’ve had Japanese with my Uni friends :) Hong Kong people really like Japanese food so there’s quite a lot of establishments and some are really quite good!

Japanese for dinner

Japanese for dinner

I’ve revisited Tim Ho Wan and took Mr Bao for the first time :) Of course we couldn’t leave without getting their BBQ Pork Pineapple Bun! Love the contrast between the sweet bun and the salty filling.

Tim Ho Wan - BBQ Pork Pineapple Bun

Tim Ho Wan – BBQ Pork Pineapple Bun

I’ve also managed a few fine dining lunches with Win Win :) We had such an amazing lunch at L’atelier de Joel Robuchon. Look

Seared Hokkaido scallops with crunch diced vegetables

Seared Hokkaido scallops with crunch diced vegetables

The dessert was even more impressive! It’s a surprise chocolate ball where hot chocolate fudge was poured over to sightly melt the ball and the vanilla ice-cream. Of course it tasted wonderful and absolutely blew me away ;) If it wasn’t such a high end restaurant I might’ve licked the plate clean!

Surprise Chocolate Ball with crunchy pecans

Surprise Chocolate Ball with crunchy pecans

Afternoon teas are one of my favourite activities, and managed to try their new tea set at The Lounge (Four Seasons Hotel). I nearly always pay them a visit, their desserts are always so pretty, and I have dubbed the little petit for a flower as the ‘Daisy Lychee Cake’!

Afternoon at Four Season Hotel

Afternoon at Four Season Hotel

I’ve also gone on a bit of a Japanese green tea ‘Matcha’ phase and been searching high and low for the best MATCHA desserts in Hong Kong :) That’s how we ended up at Sin Mei Tea House in Sheung Wan, everything we was Matcha! Can’t wait to blog about it!

Green Tea Cheesecake at Sin Mei

Green Tea Cheesecake at Sin Mei

I also visited my Grandma who’s in her mid 80′s but still just as strong and fit, she’s an amazing cook and made all my favourite dishes when we went for dinner. My grandma is from Ning Bo the Northern part of China so her dishes are heavily influenced from those region and very different from Cantonese food. Just wished I was back more often and get to spend more time with her and eat her delicious dishes.

Grandma and Me

Grandma and Me

That kind of sums up what I have been doing for the past week or so :) I also made a short trip to Taipei with Win Win, but I’ll tell you about our adventures that next time! Hong Kong is still an exciting city and definitely my home away from home, especially with all my family being here ~

Hong Kong my home away from home

Hong Kong my home away from home

I hope you have also had a great week :) And looking forward to coming back and sharing the stories with you all xox

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

30 thoughts on “Winter Break – HK Summer 2013

1. Brian August 1, 2013 at 2:33 am Reply

Nice!! :)

2. gourmetgetaway August 1, 2013 at 8:30 am Reply

What a great catch up with your family! I love your little nephew, he is so cute in his buzz light year costume.
    … But the food!!! Yum!
    Thanks for sharing your trip!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 1:05 am Reply

Thank’s Julie :) It was so nice to be back and my nephew is definitely my favourite person in the whole world hehe ~ and of course the food is hard to resist! Hope you’ve been well xox

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 1, 2013 at 9:19 am Reply

Looks like you’re having a marvellous time as you should Daisy!! Keep eating and taking pics, we love them!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 1:03 am Reply

Thanks Lorraine :) I think i’ve done so much eating hehe need to cut down a bit now! I’ve also got a few more photos that I’ll need to post ~ so much backlog hehe hope you’ve been well xox

4. Peggy August 1, 2013 at 9:41 am Reply

I have tried the new summer afternoon tea at Four Season as well. That flower was so cute that I almost couldn’t bare to eat it. Sinmei Tea is a must-go as well. I ate there a few times, it’s so good that I’m going there again next week with my friends. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 1:03 am Reply

Yes the high tea at Four Season is so good :) I always aways go everytime I visit HK ~ They have an awesome view there too! Sinmei love love love their matcha fondant!

5. Keren August 1, 2013 at 11:23 am Reply

Looks like a lot of fun! I’m not one for chocolate desserts usually but I think I’d have to try that surprise chocolate ball just for the novelty … how often do you get to play with your food? :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:58 am Reply

Ohhh you don’t like chocolate desserts? They’re my absolutely favourite hehe it was so much fun seeing the chocolate ball melt will need to blog about it soon ~

6. milkteaxx August 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm Reply

i havent been back to hk in 1.5 yrs and im dying to go, you fly so often!! so jealous! cant wait to go back and eat/shop like crazy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:57 am Reply

Awww but that’s different hehe my whole family lives there so the only way for me to see them is by flying over there :)

7. hotlyspiced August 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm Reply

How lovely to have a getaway especially when you can be with family and be there to celebrate your father’s birthday. He would have been thrilled! I love the look of that dessert and what you had for afternoon tea – incredible! Love the presentation xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:55 am Reply

Thanks Charlie :) I had an awesome time with family and friends! It was so nice to spend time with the old man and also the little man (my nephew) hehe just wished I lived closer and got to see them more ~

8. steph | a little bit of tang August 1, 2013 at 11:39 pm Reply

I cannot wait for you matcha post !!!! I’m so jealous of you going back to HK. The food is amazing and cheap compared to here !

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:54 am Reply

Aww don’t be jealous :) I’m sure you’ll have the chance to go back again ~ but i have to agree some foods are cheaper than Australia but some places are also getting quite expensive >_<

9. Hannah August 2, 2013 at 9:52 am Reply

Aw, I’m envious of you being able to fly to your family so easily! x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:53 am Reply

Thank you lovely :) But it’s still a 9 hour plane ride hehe can be so boring :P

10. libishski August 2, 2013 at 7:17 pm Reply

Wahhh! So much fun and food! I’m glad you’re having a ball in HK. Can’t wait to hear ALL about it when I see you on Thursday! x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:52 am Reply

So good to see you today lovely :) Sorry I was a bit tired and might have been a bit off hehe but still good to see you!! I had a blast xox

11. piggyeatalot August 2, 2013 at 8:09 pm Reply

Man… STILL SUPER DUPER JEALOUS!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:50 am Reply

Awww don’t be I’m sure you’ll be going back again soon :) xx

12. Norma Chang August 3, 2013 at 5:51 am Reply

That Surprise Chocolate Ball with crunchy pecans has to be my favorite.

13. ironchefshellie August 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reply

If I ever make it to HK, I want you to be there with me!

14. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 4, 2013 at 10:33 pm Reply

My goodness, Daisy, all that food! I loved Hong Kong when I was there. I’ve never seen a busier city! :) Everyone is on the move somewhere. I hope you have a wonderful time.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:46 am Reply

Yes I couldn’t agree with you more!!! It’s so busy there people are always running and not walking and rushing from one place to another :) It’s great because it’s so efficient but at the same time I think people need to slow down and relax too!

15. Catherine August 5, 2013 at 11:08 am Reply

You always make me regret not making the most of my week in Hk when I went a year or so ago!! All that delicious food!! Hope you had fun catching up with family too :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 9, 2013 at 12:45 am Reply

Hhahaha I”m trying to make you super jealous and then you’ll go back and I’ll give you a whole list of places you need to try :)