Delicious and Affordable – Shyun

I remember when I was at University, so many people would tell me “Enjoy when you can, because once you start work…it’s not the same”. And back then I didn’t think it was going to be true, how bad can working be…and even though I’m very fortunate to work in a good company with a great team. I really do miss my Uni days… only having 12 contact hours, being able to get up at 12pm every day, going out late at night and my only job was to ‘study’ :D Even though, those days are gone now, but it’s nice to revisit cafe and restaurants we use to go all the time to relive those memories.

Shyun is definitely one of the places we use to a lot because it was only a short 5 minute drive from Uni. It wasn’t until I started blogging that I realised that Shyun is actually quite well-known and well blogged about too ~ My best friend Sasa and I use to be late for our classes just so we can have lunch at Shyun and it’s partly my fault because I always got dessert lol

IMG_1549

Bento (Terriyaki tofu, sukiyaki beef) $10

A few weeks ago, Mr Bao and I happened to be around the area so we decided to have late lunch at Shyun ~ Although I don’t go to Carnegie as often now, not much has really changed. The menu has remained generally the same, I’m boring so ordered what I always get which is a DIY bento, where you get to choose the dishes of your choice. There are quite a few options to choose from such as tempura, karaage chicken, terriyaki beef and many more. The bento also comes with rice and potato mash and sometimes a little gyoza. I decided to go with the Terriyaki Tofu and the Sukiyaki Beef.

Bento

The terriyaki tofu was coated in a light translucent paste and then covered in sweet terriyaki sauce and even though Mr Bao likes his meat he gave the thumbs up to this tofu ~ The sukiyaki beef was thinly sliced beef marinated and sautéed in sukiyaki sauce, I could really taste the mirin. Only compliant about this was the beef was a little overcooked and the meat seemed a little tough but flavours were great.

Chirashi $17.90

Chirashi $17.90

Mr Bao loves his sashimi so decided to get the Chirashi which is a slices of sashimi on a bed of rice and finished off with some salmon roe. We were both impressed with the generous amount of sashimi that was given but would have liked some more salmon roe. The fish was fresh and definitely help curb Mr Bao’s cravings for sashimi ~

Shyun Rolls $13

Shyun Rolls $13

Mr Bao had skipped breakfast so he was still hungry and continued to order more food… lol what’s new? He wanted to try the Shyun special rolls, which is a sushi with a prawn and cucumber filling in the middle and on top was a thin slice of raw salmon, salmon roe and Kewpie mayonnaise. I’m not sure if I’ve told you before, but Mr Bao previously trained and worked as a sushi chef for about 8 months :) He was very happy with these sushi rolls, saying the rice was cooked perfectly and had a good amount of vinegar that wasn’t overpowering.

Gyoza $5.30

Gyoza $5.30

We also got the Gyoza the pan-fried dumplings, I really liked the filing with pork and vegetable but I found the dumpling skin to be a little thick and didn’t really have that crispy fried base.

Chawan mushi $7.90

Chawan mushi $7.90

I really shouldn’t order anymore but couldn’t resist ordering the Chawan mushi which is a steamed egg dish with chicken pieces. I always order this when I see it on the menu as I find not many places do this dish, it’s a very simple dish but so comforting to me and I love the soft velvety texture of the egg. This one had chicken pieces, but I’ve had others with crab sticks before which I think compliments the egg flavour even better :D

IMG_1578

They have definitely extended the dessert menu since the last time I visited because they had Green tea chiffon cake! YAY! It was nicely plated on a brown piece of baking paper with a little tub of whipped cream and a dollop of red bean paste. Unfortunately, it was a disappointment, I could barely taste the matcha flavour in the chiffon cake, and it had a very dry dense texture which resembled more of a butter cake.

Green tea chiffon cake $4.5

Green tea chiffon cake $4.5

We also tried the Homemade baked cheesecake, if you’ve had Japanese cheesecake before you will notice that it is very light in flavour and texture compared to say your New York Cheesecake. I personally prefer the richer and dense cheesecakes, but this was perfect after such a large meal with had. I also liked how they cut it in up bite sizes :)

Homemade baked cheesecake $4.5

Homemade baked cheesecake $4.5

Shyun is still just as good as I remembered it to be ~ serving delicious and affordable Japanese food. I just wished it was closer because I know we will be regulars again if it was closer to home.

Shyun on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

23 thoughts on “Delicious and Affordable – Shyun

1. hotlyspiced July 4, 2013 at 9:08 am Reply

It sounds like you had an absolute ball during your uni days! I know my Arabella is loving uni life – so much better than school! I love how the desserts are served on paper and I didn’t know Mr Bao trained as a sushi chef – he must have great knife skills xx

2. Hannah July 4, 2013 at 12:39 pm Reply

I would’ve been so excited about the matcha chiffon too, and equally disappointed in its weakness. But hey, the cheesecake looks good!

3. milkteaxx July 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reply

i too miss my uni days now that ive started working. fortunately im only 5-10 min walk away from uni so i can still go for arvo walks there and pretend im still a student!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm Reply

Those are great prices indeed! And your uni days sound like fun too :D I love chiffon cakes but they aren’t as sweet and rich :)

5. thehungerpangs July 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm Reply

I’ve heard so many people rave about this place! And it’s so close to the Caulfield campus, but I never ventured further than the really cute sushi place on the corner opposite the station, hehe ;) The terriyaki tofu looks awesome!

6. viveka July 5, 2013 at 12:24 am Reply

Always a pleasure to read your reviews … and check your photos out – to find out what is talking to me. You’re so good on this. Once again a very enjoyable restaurant visit .. great company and food.

7. Choc Chip Uru July 5, 2013 at 7:03 am Reply

Haha you make me so excited for next year with your uni talk :D
    What a great restaurant my friend I would love to try it :)

8. Nic@diningwithastud July 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm Reply

*sigh* it was a simpler time when we were at school wasn’t it? I remember wanting it all to end but now that its over, I want to go back lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm Reply

Definitely it was so much easier :) but now there so much more responsibility and hahhaa i have to feed myself so much work!

9. Ling July 6, 2013 at 6:04 pm Reply

WOW! That looks so fresh and amazing!

10. ironchefshellie July 6, 2013 at 9:57 pm Reply

I’ve been wanting to try Shuyn for 3 years now. I really must get there!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm Reply

Wow 3 years! You’ve gotta go girl! If you need me to go with you just ring ring me :P

11. msihua (@msihua) July 6, 2013 at 10:49 pm Reply

Hahaha Love Shyun.. the Boy not so much.. he has higher standards apparently.. he’s just not exposed to terrible cbd lunch time “Japanese” that’s all!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm Reply

Hahhaa the Boy has such divine tastes :P that’s probably why but I agree Shyun is so much better than so many other places!

12. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) July 7, 2013 at 8:22 am Reply

WOW Girl! You can really put away some food!! Although it all looks so delicious I think I would have a fair go at it all too.

I loved the look of the sashimi platter! Amazing variety. I have only had a platter that good in Japan. I also really enjoy Chawan mushi! I was taught how to make it by a Japanese student.

Great story!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reply

Thanks Julie :) LOL I didn’t even realised we ate so much until I was blogging about it oops hahaha I blame the fact that it was super late lunch so we were famished! The sushi rice was fresh and delicious hard to find in Melbourne ~ Ohhh so lucky that you know how to make Chawan Mushi have you blogged about it? If you haven’t hope you do it soon xox

13. Catherine July 7, 2013 at 8:21 pm Reply

Love Shyun! So reasonably priced and fresh :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2013 at 4:34 pm Reply

Me too! me too! Just wished it was closer and we need more Japanese places like Shyun :)

14. winstonthehungryexcavator July 8, 2013 at 11:20 pm Reply

Owhhhh I can’t believe I never had the chawanmushi here before looks so DAMN good!! I gotta eat it. More reasons to come back. And you’re so lucky for studying so close to this place in uni. Such a great place to eat, whether you’re on a budget in uni or not.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2013 at 4:34 pm Reply

Oh oh oh you haven’t tried! Next time you go you definitely have to try :) it’s my favourite so so so good ~ I was definitely lucky when I was study there but not anymore it’s quite far sighhh

15. Libby July 10, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reply

I LOVE Shyun! I had an ex-bf who used to go to Monash Caulfield so we’d go to Shyun during his breaks. Now, I don’t have a need to go to Carnegie which is a shame as there are so many cheap and cheerful eateries down that end… :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:07 pm Reply

Yessssss I use to do exactly that during my breaks hehe :) So hard to get to Carnegie now cuz it’s quite outta our way :( But if you want to go let me know and we can go! xox