Chocolate Bar Afternoon Tea – The Langham

I have always liked The Langham Hotel in Melbourne, it’s really classy and provides a great view of the Yarra River. Coincidentally, my office is walking distance to it so there have been days when my colleagues and I would wonder into the gift shop at the hotel on our lunch breaks and look at all the pretty things they have. We have also had coffee a few times at the Aria Bar and Lounge :) Yup we’re very spoilt to have such a nice hotel right next to us ~

But since January this year, I have changed teams and now I am not always at the office in the City, instead I need to be on the clients side at their office in the suburbs :( And I don’t think words can describe how much I miss working next to the Langham!

Chocolate Bar Afternoon Tea

Finally this weekend I had the chance to go back to the Langham with BBFF (Shellie), Ms I-Hua, Zeboy and Agnes to try out their Chocolate Bar Afternoon Tea. There was chocolate, scones and tea you bet I was gonna be there! Super excited :D

Chocolate bar buffet

Chocolate bar buffet

The main feature of this afternoon tea was their chocolate bar buffet, with petit four sized cakes, mousses, desserts and everything I wanted :D We didn’t get to meet Rommel the head pastry chef, but we met another very talented young pastry chef Yanni who told us, that each item they made used a different type of chocolate from different origins. They may use Belgian chocolate for their mousse but then use single origin Vanuatu chocolate for another dessert ~ Very specific!

Ms I-Hua's tower of awesomeness

Tower of Happiness

Ms I-Hua dubbed this the Tier of Awesomeness which I totally agree but I think Tower of Happiness applies to me more because simply looking at this tower makes me so so so happy! Anyhow, on the bottom tier its the Le Ceries – a macaron base, topped with dark chocolate mousse and Morcello cherries. Next is the Zen milk chocolate base with rice bubbles, fleuntine, framboise jelly, pistachio cream pattisier and slivered pistachio I couldn’t get enough of the crunchy base. Then it was The Garden with a macaron base, coconut mousse and mango jelly filling and covered in desiccated coconut. Second top tier Cremoux - giandula and java milk chocolate, rice bubbles, flaunting, chocolate dacquise base and Sao-thorne cremoux and finally on the top layer was the chewy banana milk chocolate fudge top with salted caramel popcorn it is deathly sweet but just the way I like it :D

Chocolate Fountain

Chocolate Fountain

They also had another table with a chocolate fountain with strawberries and marshmallows, but really I just wanted to stick my whole head in. Someone on Instagram suggested using a straw and just drinking the melted chocolate, great idea if you ask me and probably more hygienic :P

Moët & Chandon champagne and first round sweets

Moët & Chandon champagne and first round sweets

Doing it in full Sweet Queen style, I obviously started with a plate of desserts and also a glass of Moët & Chandon champagne :D I was instantly on a sugar high, sorry guys if I was a little hyperactive and wouldn’t shut up!

Savoury and Scones

3 tired stand

Don’t worry for those who aren’t crazy about sugar, I think you will still like this afternoon tea, because it also comes with a 3 tired stand with your classic afternoon tea savoury items.

Savoury1

On the bottom was their sausage rolls served with ketchup, really liked the puff pastry and filling was delicious too. Most welcomed by Agnes who can’t deal with too much sweet ~ Following that was the plain and fruit scones which had a really good base was served with strawberry jam and clotted cream. Also had a little dish of butter for those who preferred that. Last but not least on the top was a variety of sandwiches made from soft fresh bread – smoked salmon rolls, cucumber ribbon, and my favourite was the egg mayonnaise and cress. It also had a slice of baguette bread, ham and parmesan which I didn’t try because I had already hit my savoury limit.

Sweets1

Continuing with the sweets, starting from top left corner was a white chocolate mousse cake with pretty edible flowers, followed by white chocolate panna cotta with a framboise coulis and mango jelly was definitely Shellie’s favourite, can’t go wrong with biscotti dipped in dark chocolate and The Pisa a chocolate cup filled with Rhubarb compote, strawberry creme and finished with dark chocolate ganache. A shame Mr Bao couldn’t try it because I know he would’ve loved this!

Chocolate Rocks & Pebbles

Chocolate Rocks & Pebbles

I really couldn’t find any item that I didn’t like, but there were a few that deserves to be mentioned individually and this Chocolate Rocks and Pebbles is definitely one of them. The base a fleuntine which is something I love so much crispy thin crepe pieces, rice chocolate cripsy balls, milk chocolate crumble and handmade chocolate marshmallow. But to finish off you drizzle chocolate sauce over it one word ‘AMAZING’!

Pear Willing Madagascar Park Couverture Tart

Pear William Madagascar Park Couverture Tart

These Pear William Madagascar Park Couverture Tart was something else that caught my attention, in a crispy sweet shortcrust pastry case, frangipane, sliced pear William and chocolate glaze and finished up with a little gold leaf so fancy :)

IMG_3377

I’m sure I don’t need to prove to you I tried everything but here it is proof that I tried everything :P Oh I forgot to mention about the Langham Opera Torte with Tropical Amer Ganache, which is the layered cake on the right hand side. It comprised of a pistachio jaconde, framboise cream, framboise jelly and dark chocolate grande. Quite a complex cake with so many layers and flavours that complimented each other quite well. I think Zeboy was quite happy as he’s a fan of Opera cakes.

Chocolate Fountain

I’m sorry for the photo spam, but I am a sucker for the Chocolate Fountain and think it deserves another photo! I couldn’t leave without getting something from the chocolate fountain.

IMG_3382

Chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate madeleine

I came back to the table with not only  chocolate covered strawberries but also a chocolate madeleine with a dollop of custard. Don’t judge! It was moist and had a fudgey centre and was more like a pudding than a madeleine.

IMG_3375

Peppermint Tea

We were offered tea or coffee, but I later found out that you could get hot chocolate after I ordered the peppermint tea :( So sad! Because it would’ve been the perfect way to end the afternoon tea. But I guess this will keep my doctor happy that I had some tea instead hehe

IMG_3373

The Chocolate Bar Afternoon Tea is currently offered on the weekends at the Aria Bar and Lounge and is $75 per adult. For more information please visit their website. Compared to some other high teas it may seem a little more expensive, but given the full spread of desserts and chocolate fountain, I definitely think it’s worth it! I would recommend this for a special occasions such as birthdays or bridal showers :) I also heard that they have children themes high teas during the school holidays last year it was Barbie and this year it’s Peter Pan, I wonder if they’ll let me book a children’s high tea even though I’m clearly overage :P

Aria Bar & Lounge on Urbanspoon

Daisy@Nevertoosweet dined as a guest of The Langham Melbourne and Media Moguls.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “Chocolate Bar Afternoon Tea – The Langham

1. Tina @ bitemeshowme July 2, 2013 at 9:28 am Reply

Everything looks fantastic – so much variety!! Lucky you have friends who are passionate about food just as much as you :) xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 10:04 am Reply

Definitely good to have friends who are just as crazy about high tea as I am :) I’d love to try one of the high teas in Sydney one day! xox

2. Christine (@cookingcrusade) July 2, 2013 at 11:12 am Reply

What an amazing spread of chocolatey goodies. I just love that photo of the chocolate fountain!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 10:18 am Reply

Me too that photo of the chocolate fountain is my favourite too :) hehe

3. hotlyspiced July 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm Reply

It must be a bit of a shock to be working in the burbs! That’s a lovely looking high tea. I think I would like the sausage rolls but I absolutely couldn’t refuse the rocks and pebbles (or the Moet of course!) xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 10:19 am Reply

It definitely is a shock to work in the burbs! There’s nothing there! There’s a shopping centre but because there’s nothing else every flocks there and I’m never able to get a park and then there’s charcoal chicken…but that’s about it :(

4. missemzyy July 2, 2013 at 8:19 pm Reply

wow what an amazing high tea!! All the food looks delicious especially the desserts! I would have wanted to stick my whole head into that chocolate fountain too :P haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 10:20 am Reply

Hahahha I totally think sticking our heads in the chocolate fountain is a great idea :) And I wonder why I didn’t do it lol

5. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. July 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm Reply

I love the high tea at Langham, and this chocolate one looks even more awesome!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 10:38 am Reply

Have you tried the Burch and Purchese one :) I really liked that one as well actually can’t decide which ones better hehe ~

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 3, 2013 at 9:03 am Reply

That’s a fabulous looking high tea! And I love feuilletine too especially when paired with chocolate :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 10:39 am Reply

Me too feuilletine is my favourite :) do you think you could please post a recipe about making them at home ~ they’re super expensive to buy so being able to make them will be great hehe ~

7. viveka July 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm Reply

You had me really confused here … Langham Hotel, doesn’t look like the one I been on, but I have been on the one in London. Neither have they a chocolate afternoon tea.
    What a wonderful post for a chocolate addict like me – it made me droll.
    Not a tea drinker – but I’m sure I can eat chocolate on its own or with champagne.
    Somebody has said – I don’t want to fall in love … I want to fall into chocolate. That is more or less what you did here. The strawberries have my fancy.
    Just love everything I see here.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:08 pm Reply

I think all the Langham hotels are a little different so maybe that’s why :) Because the Langham hotel is quite different in Hong Kong as the one in Melbourne too!
      I wouldn’t mind falling into chocolate instead of love :P It was such a great afternoon tea~

8. Cara @ Gourmet Chick July 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm Reply

I took my Mum here for afternoon tea and loved it – how good is the chocolate fountain as well!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:08 pm Reply

It’s the best!!! I love chocolate fountains I actually got a mini one for Christmas last year but I’m the worse still haven’t used it :( oops! hehe

9. Sarah July 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm Reply

That looks so awesome! I love the Langham’s afternoon teas and it looks like they’ve made it EVEN BETTER than last time!! Woah! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reply

Its definitely better than the Burch and Purchese afternoon tea just because it has the chocolate fountain hahaha i’m a huge sucker for it :)

10. ironchefshellie July 6, 2013 at 9:59 pm Reply

mmmmmmm so good! and loved those choc rock pebbly thing!

11. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) July 7, 2013 at 8:25 am Reply

WOW!!! I really do have to try this, everything looks so good! I think I could even managed some chocolate for breakfast!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm Reply

You have to come back to Melbourne soon!!! Have you planned your next trip? :) let me know xox

12. Langham Melbourne Hotel July 8, 2013 at 10:13 am Reply

We’re delighted you could experience our Chocolate Bar Afternoon Tea Daisy and you’re correct, we do have children themed high teas. We currently have as you mentioned Peter Pan Morning Tea. It’s been a wonderful experience to see the children dress up in their outfits and enjoy their cups of Pirates Punch or Babyccino’s with their Tinkerbell fairy cupcakes, Pirate Cookies, Crocodile Creek Jelly Cups, Pixie Sherbet Sticks, Fairybread, Ham & Cheese Sandwiches and fluffy scones.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:14 pm Reply

Thank you for inviting me :) I really enjoyed the afternoon tea. I would love to try out the children themed high teas as well! Sounds like so much fun maybe I can bring my nephew and niece because I’m sure they’d like it too! Thanks again and looking forward to coming back soon!

13. Krissie (Pearls of Style) July 9, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reply

Oh my goodness this looks so delightful. I really must go there myself. I’m in Melbourne this weekend so that might just be perfect timing!

Krissie Pearls of Style

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm Reply

OHhh you’ve gotta go check this afternoon tea out then!!! :) let me know how you go and if you like it hehe ~ Thanks for dropping by my blog!

14. Ashley July 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm Reply

Oh man, I’m so sad I was away otherwise I would have gone too! :( SO MUCH CHOCOLATE!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reply

Awww doesn’t matter they still have the chocolate bar afternoon tea so you’ve still got time to try it out so so so good!!!