I want Kouign Amann – Tiong Bahru Bakery

Ok finally another Singapore post, I don’t think I will ever get through all my posts and stories that I would like to share with you guys! I still have posts from Europe too sighhh wished I had more time! This quick trip to Singapore was really more an eating trip, I literally planned all our activities around where we wanted to eat :P And to save time it was good to go to one place and be able to cross a couple of places off our list ~

Raffles city was one of them, thanks to Lianne, my personal Singapore tourist, I was able to visit Brotzeit for some delicious German food and pork hock then we made our way to Tiong Bahru Bakery and Smoulder Soft Core Bakers in the food court in the basement ~ But let’s start with Tiong Bahru Bakery first :)

Tiong Bahru Bakery

When I first heard of Tiong Bahru Bakery, I honestly thought it was going to be an Asian bakery selling steamed cakes such as Kuehs or maybe more Japanese style sponge and chiffon cakes. But to my surprise when I arrived at Tiong Bahru Bakery, it turns it that it was a bakery that has worked in collaboration with young French patisserie Gontron Cherrier. I wished I had known about Gontron Cherrier earlier so then I would’ve been able to visit his patisserie in Paris at the start of the year as well and compare it to the baked goodies in Singapore~

Tiong Bahru Bakery1

Display of Cakes

There was a lot to choose from – cakes, tarts, bread, pies, brownies, savoury or sweet basically you name it and it was there on display. We really didn’t know what to choose, so I asked the girl serving us what their top sellers  and she said “our Kouign Amann that’s our best seller”. Without thinking I replied “one of those, that tart and that one too and the croissant”. There done I finally ordered :P

IMG_9947

Did I order too much for 3 people? But there’s 3 of us! I’m sure we can demolish it! Actually, I think I could demolish it myself hehe

Kouign Aman $3.5SGD ($2.90AUD)

Kouign Amann $3.5SGD ($2.90AUD)

I was intrigued by this mysterious Kouign Amann so that’s the first time we’ll tackled ~ Turns out was like a breton cake, made from bread dough then layered with butter and sugar. It tasted like a larger, fluffier version of a palmier. I was overwhelmed by the buttery, sugary and flakiness. I think I went to heaven for a second :P If you like palmiers you will like this even more! Trust me! Of course I bought another one and had it for pre-breakfast snack the next day.

Crossiant chocolat $3.2SGD($2.67AUD)

Chocolate Croissant  $3.2SGD($2.67AUD)

Next up was the chocolate croissant the puff pastry was so flakey and crispy on the outside but still moist inside. Our only complaint would be the tiny piece of chocolate in the pastry, it would have been better if there was more ~

Pandan Flan $6SGD ($5AUD)

Pandan Flan $6SGD ($5AUD)

Kirk and I were quite excited about the pandan flan because it was tall standing, light green in colour and smelt absolutely divine. I eagerly grabbed my fork and took a bite, but I was immediately disappointed, the tart had a very rubbery texture and left a strange feeling on our tongue. It didn’t have that intense pandan flavour we expected either and was rather bland :(

Lemon Tart $6SG ($5AUD)

Lemon Tart $6SG ($5AUD)

The lemon tart was another recommendation by the waitress, unfortunately, it was a disappointment. The pastry case was very dry and quite dark, it was so hard we weren’t even able to cut through it with a knife. The filling was also a little strange as it was like a lemon mouse, very sour with a bitterness towards the end.

Coffee board

Coffee menu

We really liked the coffee menu on the wooden board near the cashier, it explains all the different types of coffees and the amount of coffee and milk for each one. I didn’t know there was more milk in a cappuccino compared to a latte :)

Left - Magic Right - Mocha

Left – Magic $6.5SGD($6.5AUD)
Right – Mocha $6.8SGD ($5.65AUD)

Kirk and I ordered the mocha (on the top right), where we found it to be rather watery and not as chocolatey as we expected. While Mr Bao ordered the magic and was very surprised to see that the ‘magic’ coffee is not only a Melbourne cafe drink but can be found internationally. Mr Bao commented the coffee was quite good, but was very light tasting given that it had a double ristretto.

We found Tiong Bahru Bakery to be a great place to have afternoon tea, but can also be a hit and miss.  The puff pastry was made very well considering the fact that it’s very humid in Singapore and I have heard that it’s quite hard to make puff pastry when the weather is so warm and wet. I am definitely on the hunt to find a Kouign Amann in Melbourne and if I can’t find it, I will bribe, force and coerce my friends (hint hint Kirk) to make it for me :D

Tiong Bahru Bakery
252 North Bridge Road (branch)
#B1-11/12 Raffles City Shopping Centre
Singapore 179103
Tel: +65 6333 4160
Daily: 9am – 10pm

Raffles City Shopping Centre
252 N Bridge Rd  Singapore 179103
+65 6318 0238

Tagged: , , , , , ,

32 thoughts on “I want Kouign Amann – Tiong Bahru Bakery

1. Michelle June 19, 2013 at 9:00 am Reply

ooh, i shall tell my sister to come here!

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm Reply

I adore Kouign Amann! Every time I visit Laduree I order one of them as they’re so delicious :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 19, 2013 at 1:16 pm Reply

Ohhh I didn’t know that they had it at Laduree! Hope they have it in the one in Hong Kong :) Would you possible be thinking of posting a recipe?! xox

3. Tina @ bitemeshowme June 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm Reply

Pandan Flan? OMG i so totally want!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm Reply

It sounded and smelt so good but a shame that it tasted a bit rubbery :(

4. hotlyspiced June 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reply

I do hate a rubbery tart! What a shame some of the pastries weren’t up to scratch but good on you for giving them a go. I tried to buy some pandan leaves from my green grocer a few days ago but apparently you have to order them in! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 20, 2013 at 2:43 pm Reply

Oh gosh that’s crazy that you had to order them! Because my local grocery sells them it’s just that they are frozen :( Hope you find them soon and please blog a pandan flavoured recipe soon xox

5. Choc Chip Uru June 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm Reply

May I accompany you next time? :D

6. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) June 19, 2013 at 3:36 pm Reply

How wonderful it was that you, Mr Bao and your friend Kirk all shared the same interest; and went to Singapore to discover more yummy good food together!! I love Kouign Amann!! Good job you enjoyed it so much!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 20, 2013 at 3:08 pm Reply

It was a wonderful trip even though it was only for 4 short days :) we still managed to go to many places to find good food and just relax and enjoy hehe ~ I can’t wait to go back again!

7. Catherine June 19, 2013 at 5:09 pm Reply

Oh that pandan flan sounds so good!! And that coffee board is so cute :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 20, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reply

The pandan flan smelt really good and was a great idea but a shame that it was a bit rubbery :(

8. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) June 19, 2013 at 7:26 pm Reply

Shame about the pandan flan :( although it is bloody fun to say :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm Reply

Definitely a shame because it was such a great idea and smelt good :) maybe you should make one and blog the recipe xx

9. milkteaxx June 20, 2013 at 10:11 am Reply

the pastries all look great but i have my eyes on the ribs and wings! love spicy wings esp!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 20, 2013 at 3:36 pm Reply

Babe hehe there’s no ribs or spicy wings here I think you got it mixed up to the other post at Meatmother hehe

10. Hannah June 20, 2013 at 1:07 pm Reply

Oh no! The pandan flan was going to get my vote. Boo to bland.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm Reply

yeah i know it was such a good idea and if it was made well I bet you I would’ve loved it!

11. msihua (@msihua) June 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm Reply

I am so not surprise you went here! Hahahahah… I’m just surprised you left!

12. gourmetgetaway June 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm Reply

LOL! I always plan all my travels around food so you are not alone. The lemon curd tart looks amazing!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 21, 2013 at 9:11 am Reply

Phew Julie :) so glad I’m not the only one if not I would feel like a little piggy and feel so bad hahaha

• gourmetgetaway June 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm Reply

LOL! No I am the same… actually I just booked another trip because I missed the food :)

13. Libby June 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm Reply

I like the look of the coffee menu too – so cute!

I also like how they folded the chocolate croissant, but sucks about it not having a whole lot of chocolate >_<

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:21 am Reply

Me too I wish I could have that coffee board at home so then maybe we’ll know how to make the different types lol Yeah i know chocolate croissants need more chocolate :( that’s basic hehe ~

14. Sarah June 25, 2013 at 9:48 pm Reply

That looks like such a cool place! I always associate Singapore with hawker food, so it’s really interesting for me to see something a little different. I love that coffee board too! CUTE!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2013 at 11:21 am Reply

Me too before going I thought Singapore was just hawker food, chilli crab and Hainanese Chicken rice but there’s actually a lot more to it :)

15. msihua (@msihua) June 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm Reply

Waaaaa! I wanna go Tiong Bahru bakery too… so many goodies!

16. Sam August 8, 2013 at 1:25 am Reply

I hope you enjoyed french croissants.

I’ll go to Singapore at October 31 for 3 weeks by the way I will go to Malaysia, Bali and Pukhet, do You think I would like asian food? :P (kidding) I Love It!

I’ll go to this bakery to compare it with french bakeries. and i will give u my opinion. OK?

have you ever come here? (France)

17. jl October 17, 2013 at 1:09 am Reply