Brunching Thai Style – Middle Fish

Growing up what did you have for breakfast? :) For me, I would go through phases of having Coco Pops and milk, bacon and eggs and occasionally Mum will make or buy more Hong Kong style breakfast like congee, Chu Cheong Fun (rice noodle rolls) or ham and macaroni in a chicken broth. A while ago Mr Bao and I felt like brunch that day, we wanted something a little different and that’s how we ended up at Middle Fish ~

Middle Fish

I’d been following their Instagram account for a while and her photos always makes me crave Thai food, I have also read that so many of my food blogger friends have visited and enjoyed it. Middle Fish is easy to miss as it’s on a quiet street in Carlton, but if you know where Seven Seeds cafe is, you’ll find Middle Fish next to it :D

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It’s a fairly large space with a warehouse fitting, I liked how spacious it was and also the retro looking tables and chairs they used. I know they also rent out their space for private events and functions, it’s actually a really good idea and has given me ideas for my birthday next year hehehe

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It was relatively quiet when we visited so we got to pick a nice table at the back with great lighting :) Realised they constantly change their menu, I wasn’t sure what to expect, after having a quick look I settled with the omelette.

Middle Fish crunchy mussel omelette $

Middle Fish crunchy mussel omelette $16.50

This is the Middle Fish famous crunchy mussel omelette with spring onions and sri ra cha sauce. It was super crunchy and and quite airy with a generous amount of mussels. It reminded me of the Taiwanese omelette (蚵仔煎), however, that is made of oysters instead. I actually think the mussels were nicer as they provide a sweeter taste as opposed to the metal taste oysters can some times give off ~ I’m also in love with the sri ra cha sauce as well super hot and addictive.

Thai congee with pork spare ribs $13.50

Thai congee with pork spare ribs $13.50

I recently watched Marion’s Thailand a new cook show and learnt that it’s actually quite common for Thai people to eat congee in the morning, very similar to Chinese people ~ Mr Bao felt like something lighter that morning and chose the congee with soft poached egg, fresh herbs and spiced pork spare ribs. He found the congee to be thicker than our Chinese congee with a slight spiciness. The pork ribs were tender and delicious. He also liked the idea of the soft poached egg in the congee and we might put one in next time we make a congee at home. His only complaint was he found the congee a little lukewarm, we’re not sure if this is how the Thai like it but he’s just not use to it :)

Caramelised banana roti with summer berries, coconut ice-cream and maple syrup $11.50

Still feeling a little peckish, of course I ordered dessert :D We got the caramelised banana roti with summer berries, coconut ice-cream and maple syrup. It totally MADE MY DAY! The roti was super fresh and still piping hot, the banana were sweet and warm but what topped it off was the coconut ice-cream! It divine just like you were eating a fresh coconut super smooth too! Oh and lets not forget the maple syrup which I could have done with some more but that’s just me ~

Deserves another photo :)

Deserves another photo :)

We washed all that food down with some refreshing ice cold drinks ~ I chase the Thai Milk Tea as that’s my favourite Thai drink. I could have drank this all day long, it had the perfect balance of ceylon tea and then sweetened with condense milk. Just remember to drink it as soon as you get it because the ice can dilute the drink :P

Thai iced milk tea $4.50

Thai iced milk tea $4.50

Mr Bao chose the Thai iced coffee which reminded us very much of the Vietnamese ice coffee, but had a lighter coffee flavour and felt more refreshing ~

Thai iced coffee $4.50

Thai iced coffee $4.50

We thoroughly our Thai brunch at Middle Fish all dishes were cooked very well and we felt that it was quite authentic, when compared to the dishes I had in Bangkok last time I visited ~ Service was friendly and efficient which is always a bonus. I also spoke to the owner and she said that they are now in the process of obtaining council permits to open Middle Fish at night for dinner service. I can’t wait for when they open for dinner as well, it’ll be a great spot to have dinner and also imagine the Thai curries they will serve :)

Middle Fish on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

32 thoughts on “Brunching Thai Style – Middle Fish

1. Tina @ bitemeshowme May 27, 2013 at 9:18 am Reply

That roti dessert sure looks like pancakes!!!

2. renxkyoko May 27, 2013 at 9:31 am Reply

Yummy. Next time we’ll use roast pork for our congee. we use chicken.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 27, 2013 at 11:49 am Reply

That’s a great idea :) we usually pork and century eggs too hehe ~

3. Choc Chip Uru May 27, 2013 at 10:19 am Reply

There is something so inviting about Thai food, I really want to eat here :)
    For breakfast is fine, I was sick of toast anyway ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 27, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply

I agree Thai food is kind of comforting in my opinion too :) When you come to Melbourne I’ll take you!

4. Sam May 27, 2013 at 10:39 am Reply

Congee is my favourite (after giant bowls of coco pops with banana and milk)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 27, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

Hahaha I’m not really a fan of congee but when they have spicy spare ribs that’s a different story hehe Thanks for dropping by my blog!

5. hotlyspiced May 27, 2013 at 11:53 am Reply

I have to say I’ve never been to a Thai restaurant for breakfast before. I do like the look of your pancakes but I would agree, they do look like they could use a little more maple syrup on them xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm Reply

Its probably the first time I’ve had Thai for breakfast too :) Because even when I went to Bangkok we would have breakfast at the hotel and it was a buffet style with a variety of dishes to choose from ~ I think next time I’ll have to bring my own bottle of maple syrup xox

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 27, 2013 at 12:45 pm Reply

Daisy, your post just made me crave Thai so badly! Especially that sweet roti-drool! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm Reply

Hahhaa I think its a sign that you should get your Thai fix soon :)

7. Ames May 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reply

I love this place :) Only wish I’d gone there more often when I was at the law school :P The banana roti looks delightful!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 28, 2013 at 9:27 am Reply

I know I wish I had known about it earlier :) It’s harder to go when working full time but maybe on the weekend? ~

8. milkteaxx May 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm Reply

thai brunch? thats sometihng new! and id love to have roti for breakfast everyday!

9. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) May 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm Reply

Yum! I am missing my Thai food since we returned home. I love the look of the café, it looks so perfect. Oh I want Roti Cani etc… these food images are the best… so hungry!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 28, 2013 at 9:36 am Reply

When did you get home Julie? definitely go to a Thai restaurant soon to get your Thai fix :)

10. Cara @ Gourmet Chick May 27, 2013 at 7:41 pm Reply

I wouldn’t have thought of having a Thai style brunch but this looks great – really need to go there!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 28, 2013 at 9:36 am Reply

It was the first time for us too but it was great :) We really enjoyed it hehe and I think you will too when you go! ~

11. msihua (@msihua) May 27, 2013 at 8:17 pm Reply

Ooh looks like they have updated their menu again! Time for another revisit!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 28, 2013 at 9:41 am Reply

Yes yes time to revisit :) I think they change their menu quite often!

12. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) May 28, 2013 at 11:17 am Reply

The decor is quaint and I would have never imagined Thai food with the room decor. I love traditional Thai dishes so you will have to keep that one on your list for repeat visits. Take Care, BAM

13. Constance Ant May 28, 2013 at 10:45 pm Reply

the portion is somehow looks small?

and that’s roti? roti canai’s roti? i thought it’s pancake LOL!

14. Keren May 29, 2013 at 7:31 am Reply

Wow, that is beautiful decor … oooh, fluffy cat in the side bar … those roti look delicious :)

15. Hannah May 29, 2013 at 10:30 am Reply

Hahaha! Not a SINGLE one of your childhood breakfasts are things I ate/was allowed to eat as a kid! But I did start making congee for dinner regularly as an adult :P

MOAR MAPLE SYRUP!

16. Sara (Belly Rumbles) (@bellyrumbles) May 31, 2013 at 12:05 am Reply

Love the fit out of this place and the food looks good too. But how cute are the cups they use for the iced drinks!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reply

I thought so you :) very authentic and immediately made me feel like I was in Bangkok hehe

17. Ashley May 31, 2013 at 8:37 am Reply

Mm, I love the Thai Iced Tea at Middle Fish! Not enough places do it well!

18. liannelow June 2, 2013 at 10:52 pm Reply

Love Middle Fish!! and the thai ice tea is the best I’ve had in Melbourne! hehe Haven’t had a chance to do brunch at middle fish, only went there for lunch and it was superb! hehe I so want to try that congee and the dessert roti!!! NOMS!!! Need to go soon!!! (and Mr Nice guy too!) xx

19. […] the chairs and deco look familiar? Remember my recent post about Thai brunch at Middle Fish? Yup that’s right it’s by the same team ~ They have ventured out of Carlton and started […]