Chocolate Skull Decorating – Melt Chocolate Festival

Dearest Readers, do you know anyone who doesn’t like chocolate? I remember once I bought a chocolate mango cake for a friend’s birthday and was so excited about giving it to him. At midnight we sang happy birthday and gave him the cake. He politely accepted but then said “I’m sorry but I don’t eat chocolate, mango or cream, it’s ok I ll take it all out and just eat the sponge cake”

IMG_9296
I was bewildered! Never in my life have I met someone who doesn’t eat chocolate! Turns out when he was growing up his mum was very strict and wouldn’t let him eat chocolate and as a result now he feels sick if he eats chocolate! Wow… Until this day it still shocks me hahaha
Melt Chocolate Festival 26/5

Melt Chocolate Festival 26/5

Anyhow in contrast, I eat chocolate lots and lots of it in fact :D that’s why I couldn’t pass the opportunity of going to the preview of the Melt Chocolate Festival at the Immigration Museum. They are currently holding displays and exhibitions of immigrants from Brazil, Mexico, Belgium and their communities in Melbourne. The festival held this Sunday, will feature a wide range of chocolates and sweets from these three countries.
IMG_9283
Mr Bao and I started at the Mexican stall and tried their hot chomparrado, which is their version of hot chocolate which is thickened with corn flour, it had a light chocolate taste and wasn’t too sweet with notes of cinnamon. We were also offered a sweet bread that had a texture of a scones and a biscuit, where we were told to dip into the hot chocolate.

Mexican Champurrado (Thick Hot Chocolate)

The lovely lady then told me that this is a traditional breakfast dish in Mexico and surprisingly the men wake up and make it ~ now I d like to have that tradition here in Australia ~

Mexican short bread

Mexican short bread

We then moved onto the Brazilian brigadeiros  which is there version of chocolate truffles, we tried a variety of flavours – chocolate, coconut, strawberry and one with sprinkles. They have a very soft smooth texture and a familiar sweetness which I think comes from condense milk. I may or may had 3 in a row sooooooo addictive.

Brazilian brigadeiros - white chocolate, coconut, chocolate, sprinkles

Brazilian brigadeiros – white chocolate, coconut, chocolate, sprinkles

The Belgian community was also represented and of course Belgian chocolate as they are famously known for. The chocolates were supplied by Van Nunen who has been making handmade chocolates for the past 25 years. He explained to us, Belgian chocolates are of such a good quality because by law all chocolates sold must have at least a 35% cacao solid, compared to most supermarket brands that have much lower cacao contents.
Belgian chocolates

Belgian chocolates

We were spoilt for choice, ending up choosing the hazelnut, caramel and red hot lips hehe. The hazelnut was coated in dark chocolate with a crushed hazelnut filling, the red hot lips was made from white chocolate with a milk chocolate filling. The caramel was definitely our favourite it was a sweet velvety caramel covered in dark chocolate. Van said he makes the caramel himself and pies every single one before coating it with chocolate. Divine! A shame he mainly sells wholesale because I really need to find a way to get more of those caramel chocolate!
Chocolate Skull Decorating

Chocolate Skull Decorating

Then to finish up we were given chocolate skulls to decorate! This is actually a Mexican tradition in November when families will get together to make and decorate chocolate skulls to make them to commemorate and remember those who have passed away ~
My chocolate skull :)

My chocolate skull :)

I thought the skulls looked pretty scary before decorating it so to make mine a little more approachable I gave it a little heart, blue star and flower on its forehead. I then gave it some pretty white eyes and red lips what do you all think? :p
Mr Bao's kissable skull

Mr Bao’s kissable skull

Mr Bao did a great job, first he did a skull that looked liked a pirate with the headband on its heaps and a chocolate ponytail. But it completely transformed when Mr Bao decided to give it huge red hot lips hahaha he super proud of his creation!
Ash's pretty skull

Ash’s pretty skull

Ash skull was definitely by far the prettiest and so colourful it looks like it has a tattoo on its face ~ that’s nearly too cute to be eaten!
Unfortunately, I probably won’t have the time to go to the Melt Chocolate festival this Sunday 26/5  but if you are a chocolate fan you should definitely go check it out there will be more chocolate, more stalls, more activities and most importantly Belgian waffles!
For more information please visit the Melt Chocolate Festival website ~ Hope you’ll also get to decorate your own chocolate skull!
Daisy@Nevertoosweet and Mr Bao attended this event as a guests of Immigration Museum.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

27 thoughts on “Chocolate Skull Decorating – Melt Chocolate Festival

1. viveka May 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm Reply

How fun … and delicious!!! I don’t want to fall in love – I want to fall in chocolate *smile

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 23, 2013 at 9:45 am Reply

That’s a good idea fall into chocolate and get covered by it :P

• viveka May 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reply

And a bit naughty. I have a chocolate body scrub that is so lovely and every time I use it .. I think about this quote.
        Closest I will be .. to be covered in chocolate.

2. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) May 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm Reply

NOICE work on the skull TT! You got some skull skillz LOL

OMG, what’s up with the not liking chocolate or mango and ahem…cream?! haha,

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 23, 2013 at 9:53 am Reply

Thanks TT :) But I still think Ash did the best job hahahaa i had nooooo idea what the heck I was doing just trying to make the skull look more approachable :P

LOL that friend is SUPER weird I have no idea…since then I’ve given up baking or buying him anymore cakes hahhaa

3. Choc Chip Uru May 21, 2013 at 6:39 am Reply

A chocolate fair? What a brilliant experience to have :)
    One of my friends is not a chocolate girl but I can still entice her a little :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 23, 2013 at 9:54 am Reply

Hahaha it’s good that you’re able to entice your friend, my friend just simply can’t eat it GOSH! LOL

4. ironchefshellie May 21, 2013 at 9:29 am Reply

I barely ate any chocolate and felt ill that night! Loved the Mexican Shortbread!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 23, 2013 at 9:55 am Reply

You’ve weakened! You’ve gotta train your chocolate appetite again :D Shortbread was super YUM!

5. hotlyspiced May 21, 2013 at 12:26 pm Reply

I can’t believe anyone wouldn’t like three of the four main components of that cake you gave him. What were the odds? I love the skulls but yes, I think I like Ash’s the best (if it’s okay to say that!) xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 23, 2013 at 9:56 am Reply

I know right… I was shocked when he told me he doesn’t eat all those compoments from one cake hahaha oh wells doesn’t matter I got to eat more :P

of course its fine I loved Ash’s skull the most too! xx

6. milkteaxx May 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm Reply

the only person i know that doesnt like chocolate is someone who is allergic to it! what a shame your fd stays away from it! and i like mr bao’s skull really out of proprtion and artsy.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 23, 2013 at 9:57 am Reply

I know right if you’re allergic then that’s fine I can understand why you don’t like it because you feel sick afterwards! But if not gosh! lol How can anyone NOT like chocolate :P

LOL I thought the fat kissable lips were funnyyyyy :D

7. libishski May 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reply

Haha ME ME MEEEEE! I don’t really like chocolate! ME ME MEEEE!

Okay, I don’t HATE it but I do find that I feel ill after eating it so totally understand where your friend is coming from. I’d still happily eat the mango chocolate cheesecake though! I’m also spewing that I missed out on this though I probably would have made a mess of my skull if I attended hahaha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 23, 2013 at 11:03 am Reply

Hahahaha I forgot about it that you don’t really like chocolate as well :P That’s why I made you a green tea cake for your birthday hehe ~

Its okay if you want to make more chocolate skulls :) We can maybe do it for Halloween that’s a great idea from Lorraine :D

8. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) May 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm Reply

I love chocolate!! What a wonderful display of different cultures, flavours and styles of chocolate by different nations!! The Brazilian brigadeiros would have been my favourite too, all look so yummy, I envy you ;p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reply

Don’t need to envy me Jane :) You live in the UK so close to Europe there’s so many cultures and many types of chocolates for you to taste! ~ I wonder if it’s hard to make the Brazillian brigaderios hehe because I’d live to try and make some myself hehe!

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 22, 2013 at 9:58 am Reply

OMG those skulls are awesome! I must do some for Halloween! And you know I used to throw up whenever I ate chocolate as a child. But I concentrated and overcame it and now I can eat lots of chocolate in one sitting ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reply

I totally dind’t think of that chocolate skulls for Halloween that’s a brilliant idea :) And i know that’s your favourite event hehe ~ Really you use to throw up after eating chocolate wow? Thank gosh you overcame it!

10. viveka May 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm Reply

Hi there, I would love to pass this award on to you – http://wp.me/p293Pw-6gn
    No MUST attached – if you don’t feel for it.

11. Nic@diningwithastud May 23, 2013 at 2:55 pm Reply

Ahahahaha awesome!

12. Amanda@ChewTown May 24, 2013 at 9:12 am Reply

What fun! Sounds like a perfect event given it was filled with chocolate. I love yours and Mr Bao’s skull creations!

13. Sara (Belly Rumbles) (@bellyrumbles) May 30, 2013 at 11:56 pm Reply

Hehe love the way you have decorated the skulls. Mick Jagger would be so jealous of those lips!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm Reply

Hahhaha thanks!! I think I could have done better hehe but I tried!